IGNORED

Apple Watch Golf GPS

Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have no doubt that there will be many golf apps for the Apple Watch.  The issue for companies like Garmin will be, to either build an app for the AW or try and continue to go it alone.  I think they will succumb to the need to build an app.  The current GPS golf watches will come down in price!!

Wasn't there an earlier post on here about a guy trying to Kickstart his version of a GPS watch? It used your phone to transmit info via Bluetooth. Less strain on the battery of the phone, but it wouldn't be quite as robust or detailed as GPS dedicated watches. Can't remember what the price point he was shooting for, though. More than a couple of hundred and it's not such a deal. Especially with that new Izzo mini down to $125 or something. Less than a hundred, it could work for basic info. Moot point for me, since I don't wear a watch while playing. I don't need to be reminded that it's taking 5 hours...

• Administrator
I have no doubt that there will be many golf apps for the Apple Watch.  The issue for companies like Garmin will be, to either build an app for the AW or try and continue to go it alone.  I think they will succumb to the need to build an app.  The current GPS golf watches will come down in price!!

I don't know about that.

The Apple Watch probably might not have the battery life to be used extensively for four hours (then again, it'll only be "used" about 40 times, max, during a round of golf for a yardage/GPS).

But your phone battery won't be great. GPS for five hours will suck battery life a fair amount.

The phone is required as the watch has no GPS in it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 thoughts

A) unless you make a living at golf, don't over complicate things.

B) If the apple watch has to be prodded, squeezed, or  touched in any manner to get information its a waste of effort. Its distracting you from golf and its just another thing slowing down the game. Yes it might be a couple of seconds- but its all relative. Keep in mind the Apple phone is the most expensive under performing,  phone in the world, That is a fact!  My guess is the watch will continue along that path.

C) I wear a watch, I prefer a watch rather than a laser, it happens to be a garmin s-3. all I want to know is how far to the center, back and front of the green. and I get that by turning my wrist and looking at it. I can make a judgement on elevation and if the wind is blowing, I can see the flag and determine roughly where it is in relation to the center of the green well within 12 feet ( 4 yards) I choose a club and hit my shot. As I walk off the green it automatically loads it self to the next hole-giving me full distance yardage. I tee off on the par four and as I arrive to the ball- I can make a quick decision of how far, high or low trajectory, spin it or bump and run. The point I am attempting to make is there are programs, apps and watches with a ton of feature sets 90% you never use. Instead concentrate of your  shots and distance of each club and you won't need all the bull shlt

like I said 3 thoughts.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
I plan on trying the Arcoos system. They will give you $100 off I you send them your GG unit (I have 2 as one went in the drink with me but that's another story). I prefer a laser over a watch based GPS for two reasons. First, the laser distance is the actual distance and 2) none of the watches come with bands that are large enough for my wrists. I have found that the lasering not only is a calming part of my routine but it focuses me on the target, not my wrist. (Not always a good thing with sucker pins ;-) )

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

• 1 month later...

Battery life on the Apple Watch should be less of an issue than one might expect. The watch won't have its own GPS, data connections, etc.; it will rely on the iPhone for that. The bulk of battery usage should be to light the screen when needed, and to connect to the iPhone with bluetooth.

I've been using Golfshot for years. Battery life on earlier iPhone models wasn't great, but I usually still have ~60-70% battery power remaining on my iPhone 6 at the end of a round.

Although the Apple Watch is not even released yet, I assume it could be a nice golf gps device. Consider garmin etc that already have golf gps watches, this makes it a no brainer for someone who already has intentions on acquiring an apple watch. Gps uses battery life in any device, even your current iphone that you use for yardages, same thing. Plus, the apple watch is coming in several different versions, one being the SPORT model that is much lighter than than the others. There are quite a few golfers that wear watches already when they play like Phil Mickekson. No need to use your iPhone golf gps app any longer. It's like anything else, get it if you like it, but it's definitely an advancement to glance at your wrist to get yardages etc. I'm not sure about the apple watch yet, but the lightweight sport addition may be nice.

On every single page I go to on this Sandtrap website there is THIS EXACT Advertisement.... So I don't want to hear there's no market for it... I'm pretty sure Apple Watch lightweight sports edition can crush this... Hahaha!!!!!

On every single page I go to on this Sandtrap website there is THIS EXACT Advertisement.... So I don't want to hear there's no market for it... I'm pretty sure Apple Watch lightweight sports edition can crush this... Hahaha!!!!!

Be glad you get a watch ad.  I get underwear ads because clicked on the ad once. :doh:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 5 months later...

I bought a Garmin S1 to use in monthly medals, matchplay and other competitions and only use Golfshot for casual and society play. Over here, any device that could give additional info (wind speed, humidity, temperature, degree of slope etc) is banned for competitive use by R&A; and USGA apparently. Even if the golf app itself is only a DMD, if the device could access anything else beneficial (all smart devices including smart watches could do so) then it cannot be used in competitions. I do miss the extra info (lay ups/hazards/gps aerial view) of Golfshot, but don't want to run the risk of disqualification in those competitions. If the watch has to connect to the phone, and therefore connect to other apps, my guess is you can't use it competitively. I'm also guessing that unless the Rules of Golf change, then there will continue to be a place for Garmin, Sky Caddie et al as these are dedicated DMD and not smart devices.

• 2 months later...
I wanted to get this thread going again. Has the Apple Watch been updated to serve as a golf rangefinder? I have the Bushnell Golf GPS Watch. It has served me well but I'm looking to upgrade.

What's In My Bag...
Driver: Callaway Razr X Black 10.5*
FW / Hybrid: Nike T40 4W 17* / Nike CPR 24*
Irons: Callaway Razr X HL 5I-SW
Putter: Nike Method Core Putter
Balls: Nike PD Soft

• Administrator

I wanted to get this thread going again. Has the Apple Watch been updated to serve as a golf rangefinder? I have the Bushnell Golf GPS Watch. It has served me well but I'm looking to upgrade.

I don't know. I assume there are some golf apps out there that have an Apple Watch component. I use my laser.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Microsoft Band 2.0 with taylormades myroundpro.com should be deadly combination. Band will act like a GPS watch and round pro will provide complete statistics...can't wait for it.

There was a lot of PR for this a month ago, but there's no iOS app that I can find. Not going to get Windows Phone just for this but I assume an iOS app is in the works.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!