IGNORED

What's Your Internet Speed?

iacas

Your Internet Speed  

6 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate your Internet Speed?

• It is not good.
    • It's acceptable.
    • It's great.

I take as much as I can get, for a reasonable price.

The time I need it the most is probably when streaming three streams at the same time. 4K is in the works, if not already here.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So this sucks right?

I'm not getting the "grade" that you other guys are getting

Depends what you're paying for. If you're paying for consumer level 15 Mbps, then that's great. If you're paying for 50 Mbps...you may want to have a "discussion" with your provider...

So this sucks right?

I'm not getting the "grade" that you other guys are getting

Instead of a screen shot, hit the "share" link.  The image link they give you has the grade.

16 mbps is probably plenty.  And you probably do as much video uploading/downloading as anybody.  Does it seem adequate to you?

Yeah, seriously… Guy's connection is faster than 55% of the U.S. It's fine. AOL still makes most (millions) of its money from dial-up, believe it or not… [URL=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/08/07/aol-still-makes-most-of-its-money-off-millions-of-dial-up-subscribers/]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/08/07/aol-still-makes-most-of-its-money-off-millions-of-dial-up-subscribers/[/URL] [URL=http://gizmodo.com/5982853/aol-earns-most-of-its-money-from-subscribers]http://gizmodo.com/5982853/aol-earns-most-of-its-money-from-subscribers[/URL]

I wonder what percentage of that are people who forgot they had an AOL account.

Thanks.  Now for the $64,000 question.  Why is it faster to download than to upload?  It doesn't seem to make sense that data moving through the system moves faster one way than another.

Please use little, non-geeky words......

Think of it this way, most people only use the web to "search, download music / movies, stream music / video "

These require fast downstream service from the service provider.

Most users do not upload many files to the internet, other than you tube nuts/regular users.

Granted many people do upload and have many various interests, but they are generally individuals who are either professional or hobbyist.

They know the proper methods to compress the files and usually have a regular need for the faster service's.

The cost for these service's hasn't been spent in the US by the major companies for the required infrastructure (fiber optics mainly)

It probably will be 5 or more years before the US has the capability to provide faster speeds.

Most likely wireless speeds will be the new generation for users, via phone service providers.

Cables will be a thing of the past.

Club Rat

Did you just say 2 mb/s up is slow and will take awhile to upload photos???

Also, "reasonable for internet use?" I think you have a very skewed idea of what is necessary for standard internet use.... a 15 mbs / 1.5 mbs connection is pretty much more than adequate for most home users.

You don't know from slow unless you were around during dial up days hah

Have you ever had a friend send you 50 photos of their vaca using their new digital camera, which still set at factory settings for hi-rest quality?

Yes, todays service's are adequate, but not up to speed with other countries.

It's not really a necessity for standard user's, but providers compete for consumers business and must raise the bar to compete.

Yes I suffered through the "dial-up" era.... :doh:

Club Rat

Think of it this way, most people only use the web to "search, download music / movies, stream music / video "

These require fast downstream service from the service provider.

Most users do not upload many files to the internet, other than you tube nuts/regular users.

Granted many people do upload and have many various interests, but they are generally individuals who are either professional or hobbyist.

They know the proper methods to compress the files and usually have a regular need for the faster service's.

The cost for these service's hasn't been spent in the US by the major companies for the required infrastructure (fiber optics mainly)

It probably will be 5 or more years before the US has the capability to provide faster speeds.

Most likely wireless speeds will be the new generation for users, via phone service providers.

Cables will be a thing of the past.

Club Rat

I get that.  My question is why will data, presumably moving through the same system, move faster one way (downloading) than the other (uploading)?

I get that.  My question is why will data, presumably moving through the same system, move faster one way (downloading) than the other (uploading)?

Traditionally it had something to do with the PA (power amplifier) in your modem being less powerful than the one in the substation by the fiber optic cable. Symmetric lines like T1/2/3 and have pretty bulky modems. Higher bit rates mean more power output. For the receive side more sensitive and higher bandwidth receivers don't require large amplifiers.

In this day in age, I wonder if it's just artificial (they can charge more)? We can get a PA from Hittite pretty cheap: http://www.hittite.com/press_releases/index.html/view/446/print

EDIT: 25W is pretty expensive.

http://www.hittite.com/products/index.html/category/411

Because of the infrastructure which has been installed to provide the service to the millions of customers as new communities are developed further away

from metropolitan areas is very costly.

When the cables and fiber lines and equipment were installed, their interests were to provide users with only quick DL capability.

The cable companies did not find it necessary to spend additional costs for additional cables / equipment for upload service's.

Club Rat

Have you ever had a friend send you 50 photos of their vaca using their new digital camera, which still set at factory settings for hi-rest quality?

Yes, todays service's are adequate, but not up to speed with other countries.

It's not really a necessity for standard user's, but providers compete for consumers business and must raise the bar to compete.

Yes I suffered through the "dial-up" era....

Club Rat

If my friend ever sent me 50 pictures of their vacation I'd tell them where they can put those pictures after I print them out on extra heavy stock paper. I don't know anyone that sends that many pictures to others.

• iacas changed the title to What's Your Internet Speed?