IGNORED

How to Hit a Driver (Hit it Further and Stop Slicing!)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Cool, happy to help.

Out of interest, I seem to have a slight problem with my left leg buckling (where I mean its not only bending/flexing but also 'buckling' toward the right leg a lot)...

I've worked on this recently & it might not be as exaggerated as it was but it does still go a bit, It might not specifically be a slice issue but more contact/consistency, I wondered your thoughts on this, is it a massive issue? Is there drills & fixes again that can help with this?

Sorry to be so overly inquisitive, I mean well though!

Out of interest, I seem to have a slight problem with my left leg buckling (where I mean its not only bending/flexing but also 'buckling' toward the right leg a lot)...

I've worked on this recently & it might not be as exaggerated as it was but it does still go a bit, It might not specifically be a slice issue but more contact/consistency, I wondered your thoughts on this, is it a massive issue? Is there drills & fixes again that can help with this?

Sorry to be so overly inquisitive, I mean well though!

I assume you're talking about the knee on the backswing. I would first make sure the left foot is turned out enough, at least 25 degrees. Would need to see the swing to help you out further.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I assume you're talking about the knee on the backswing. I would first make sure the left foot is turned out enough, at least 25 degrees. Would need to see the swing to help you out further.

I do have a my swing post located: http://thesandtrap.com/t/79556/my-swing-matt66#post_1099220

Unfortunately it has videos that are a week old & bout 3 weeks old, but it will show you hopefully what was happening, I will try and get some more up this week that hopefully show some slight improvements, I never realised the exaggeration required with the foot flare.

Wow this thread is awesome! Now im hitting flush drivers and straight as an arrow! One thing that I might add is that to make sure the left arm is connected to the body (some pressure beneath left arm pit). For me, disconnected arm made my backswing way outside plane, thus resulting in slices.

@mvmac , would you mind elaborating a little on the backswing. whenever i try to get into the position on the right, I wind up with all my weight on the front. How can I keep my lead hip from moving without retaining all my weight on it?

What's in the bag...
Driver: :macgregor: Jack Nicklaus persimmon driver
Irons: :mizuno: MP33 forged blades, 3-PW
Putter: :seemore: FGP
Ball: :pinnacle: Pinnacle Gold....or whatever I happen to find while digging around in the bushes :-)

@mvmac, would you mind elaborating a little on the backswing. whenever i try to get into the position on the right, I wind up with all my weight on the front. How can I keep my lead hip from moving without retaining all my weight on it?

Are you seeing this happen on video or is this a feel you have?

Two things I would check.

- Make sure the head isn't moving towards the target on the backswing.

- Make sure the left knee flexes/rotates inward and not over the left foot.

Mike McLoughlin

It's more of a feel, but it was confirmed by the professor of the golf class I'm taking at college. (interestingly enough, he was Ryan Palmer's collegiate coach...I couldn't convince him to give me lessons) Is there an allowable threshold of movement for the lead hip or is any movement considered a reverse hip slide?

What's in the bag...
Ball: :pinnacle: Pinnacle Gold....or whatever I happen to find while digging around in the bushes :-)

It's more of a feel, but it was confirmed by the professor of the golf class I'm taking at college. (interestingly enough, he was Ryan Palmer's collegiate coach...I couldn't convince him to give me lessons) Is there an allowable threshold of movement for the lead hip or is any movement considered a reverse hip slide?

Some movement forward is fine. The hips transferring slightly forward doesn't mean all your weight is left or that you're "loading left". For both of these golfers below, pressure is about 60-65% right at the top of the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

How is your setup? Do you have enough spine tilt? Hips more forward during setup? If not, it might contribute to "stacking" up on the left when you turn.

I do struggle with secondary axis tilt. every time I consciously set up with it, I feel like this picture.

I know I'm not near that bad. Where should my weight be at address with axis tilt? Lead foot?

What's in the bag...

I do struggle with secondary axis tilt. every time I consciously set up with it, I feel like this picture.

I know I'm not near that bad. Where should my weight be at address with axis tilt? Lead foot?

Close to 50/50. You head is still fairly centered, you're only bumping your hips an inch or two forward.

Mike McLoughlin

and from there, weight shifts to back, hips stay forward, weight shifts back forward, and followthrough?

What's in the bag...

and from there, weight shifts to back, hips stay forward, weight shifts back forward, and followthrough?

Yes, as you pivot the hips stay centered (head is steady) and the weight shifts forward on the downswing which allows you to "thrust" into the followthrough. That doesn't necessarily mean that's what you need to feel or focus on, just a description of what happens.

Mike McLoughlin

I wouldnt feel for the weight to shift back during backswing. Amateurs like us tend to exaggerate this and instead of rotating, our hips would sway to the right. The correct movement would be for your hip to rotate (staying centered) while keeping the weight inside the left part of your right foot. Flaring your right foot slightly will help a lot to stay centered.

I wouldnt feel for the weight to shift back during backswing. Amateurs like us tend to exaggerate this and instead of rotating, our hips would sway to the right. The correct movement would be for your hip to rotate (staying centered) while keeping the weight inside the left part of your right foot. Flaring your right foot slightly will help a lot to stay centered.

Yes, a weight/pressure shift is just a by-product of a good pivot.

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac

Can you tell me how you begin your transition down, and/or your swing thought in doing so. This is something I'm currently working on this winter(transition) I just can't find a good thought or technique.

Thanks for taking the time to post in detail the way you do...it truly is awesome!

@mvmac Can you tell me how you begin your transition down, and/or your swing thought in doing so. This is something I'm currently working on this winter(transition) I just can't find a good thought or technique. Thanks for taking the time to post in detail the way you do...it truly is awesome!

My personal feeling for the downswing is probably going to be different than yours, all depends on what your priority piece is. I actually don't even "think" about the downswing, my priority piece, my swing thought has more to do with my backswing pivot. For me right now, the downswing just "happens", it's not effective to have more than one or two swing thoughts. Some golfers have to prioritize the downswing while others might have to focus on the backswing or something at address. Having said all that, here is a good video that explains what happens and a feel that has helped a lot of golfers undestand Key #2 on the downswing. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/JHNJhIp4AE4[/VIDEO]

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I went to the range in order to practice my Driver, by far my bigest shortcoming. On my last round, it destroyed 5 holes, and it´s the first thing I have to fix.

I tried to do all the things that I read on this thread, and the result is little by little, getting better. I feel that the next two things, have a crucial effect on my driver shot:

1. My Grip. I used to place my right hand too over the left hand, when the best thing you can do is turn it to the right side... just the opposite.

2. The firsts steps of my backswing... I had the sensation of rotating my right arm, and this mades the club face opened. Yesterday, instead, I tried to keep in the start of the backswing the club face looking to the ground as long as I could... don´t know if I am explaining it well... But I hit some amazing shots, like never before.

¿Some ideas?

:nike:

Note: This thread is 1110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!