IGNORED

Putting miss on the high side!?

motsco
Note: This thread is 3425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm usually good at the basic mechanics of making a good roll on my intended line. My biggest weakness putting is green reading and my biggest weakness green reading is that I often read too much break into a putt or read break into it that's not there.

My goal would be, as Erik said, to miss in fairly equal amounts above and below the hole with the hole as the center of my "pattern" like a bulls eye would be if I were sighting in my rifle. For some reason it doesn't work out that way for me and almost all of my misses are on the high side.

I think it's mostly just that I hate to miss a putt on the low side (with a passion) because if it's low I don't even get the thrill of rooting for it and I know very early in the putt that it has no chance. One of those deals where I know better but just can't help myself.

It's not interesting at all. Good putters are good green readers and good at hitting their line. It would stand to reason that in the long run they'd miss fairly equally on both sides.

Giving people "advice" to miss high is good advice?? To MISS high? The goal is to make putts, not miss. Why would that word even be in the teaching vocabulary?

Drew I didn't exactly say it is good "advice" to miss high..  You have to look at it within the context of what I'm saying; which is basically that the overwhelming majority of people under read the break.. The only solution is for people to learn how to read the greens properly, but I'm willing to compromise.. how about giving the advice to read your break and then add 1/2" to 1" to your read.. The result?  it will most likely result in missing high rather than low.  I am assuming they tell them to miss high because as I mentioned in the post after that that at least that way the put has a lucky chance of getting in, while when they miss low it will never go in.

Missing putts is inevitable, so the basic physics are that if you miss high you are going towards the hole while when you miss low the ball is traveling away from the hole, so you end up with a longer putt coming back..  At least this is my understanding!

By the way, the only advice I would give is #make everything :beer:

I don't think missing is something you even think about. If you get the distance right, the next put is easy no matter where you missed.

+1 Agree, I don't think about missing either!

I think it's mostly just that I hate to miss a putt on the low side (with a passion) because if it's low I don't even get the thrill of rooting for it and I know very early in the putt that it has no chance. One of those deals where I know better but just can't help myself.

That is the biggest problem I see with missing low, is that your putt has no chance to go in.. on the other side if it is from the high side then maybe it hits an uneven patch and takes the correct path to the hole by accident :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A while back I had about a 15 foot putt. Not long. I read about a 6 foot break to the left. I think I read it fairly well, but I missed seeing a ridge in the green along my intended line that sent it 6 feet to the right. I hit it the right speed but missed it on the "high" side by about 12 feet. One of my playing partners (a scratch golfer) said laughingly, "What kept that out of the hole?"

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Drew I didn't exactly say it is good "advice" to miss high..  You have to look at it within the context of what I'm saying; which is basically that the overwhelming majority of people under read the break.. The only solution is for people to learn how to read the greens properly, but I'm willing to compromise.. how about giving the advice to read your break and then add 1/2" to 1" to your read.. The result?  it will most likely result in missing high rather than low.  I am assuming they tell them to miss high because as I mentioned in the post after that that at least that way the put has a lucky chance of getting in, while when they miss low it will never go in.

Missing putts is inevitable, so the basic physics are that if you miss high you are going towards the hole while when you miss low the ball is traveling away from the hole, so you end up with a longer putt coming back..  At least this is my understanding!

By the way, the only advice I would give is #make everything

+1 Agree, I don't think about missing either!

That is the biggest problem I see with missing low, is that your putt has no chance to go in.. on the other side if it is from the high side then maybe it hits an uneven patch and takes the correct path to the hole by accident :)

Putting as I understand it is multiple components, two of which are break and pace.  You can miss low if you under read the break or if you don't hit the ball with enough force.

Joe Paradiso

Drew I didn't exactly say it is good "advice" to miss high..

Well, if we're getting technical you said "wouldn't you agree that aside from telling people to take aimpoint the advice to miss high isn't actually bad advice?" If it's not good and it's not actually bad, then what is it?

which is basically that the overwhelming majority of people under read the break.

I have no idea if that's true or not.  But for the sake of argument, let's assume that you're right.

The only solution is for people to learn how to read the greens properly

Agree 100%.

but I'm willing to compromise.. how about giving the advice to read your break and then add 1/2" to 1" to your read.. The result?  it will most likely result in missing high rather than low.  I am assuming they tell them to miss high because as I mentioned in the post after that that at least that way the put has a lucky chance of getting in, while when they miss low it will never go in.

I have no problem suggesting to somebody that since they appear to miss their putts on the low side most of the time that they should consider factoring that into their reads.  Perhaps have them add 5% or 10% or whatever to their read each time and see where that gets them.

But I can say unequivocally that where it should NOT get them, is to MISS on the high side.  They should add enough break such that their putts have a chance to MAKE.  (Side Note:  If you haven't already, you should read Bob Rotella's Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect . ;))

so the basic physics are that if you miss high you are going towards the hole while when you miss low the ball is traveling away from the hole

Ok, I'll agree to this.

so you end up with a longer putt coming back..  At least this is my understanding!

Your understanding assumes facts not in evidence, so I think its wrong.  The biggest factor in how long your next putt is going to be is not which side you miss on, but how much you miss by.  You can barely miss low and you can miss high by a lot.

Further, more often than not, the "north-south" component (the direction you're putting) of every putt is going to be the bigger factor in the length of the next putt for all but the most horrendously bad green readers.

Lastly, putts that miss on the high side DO NOT have a greater chance of going in the hole than putts that miss on the low side.  Just like putts that go past the hole DO NOT have a greater chance of going in than putts that are short.  If you miss, you miss.  Period.

Lastly, putts that miss on the high side DO NOT have a greater chance of going in the hole than putts that miss on the low side.  Just like putts that go past the hole DO NOT have a greater chance of going in than putts that are short.  If you miss, you miss.  Period.

Agree. This makes "miss high" a bad choice of wording. Whether it is helpful to " aim high " might be another matter, but even that might help some but not all. I think there are some who tend to over-read the break on shorter puts for whom this might be bad advice as well.

For myself though, it helps a little. I attribute this to the fact that as the ball slows down, the slope of the green has more effect, so often I am surprised by the amount of break in that last foot as the ball slows. Trying to drop it maybe an inch to the high side works for me as a sort of compensation. Not sure at all whether this makes for good general advice, though.

It really helps to know the course you're playing. Making sure you stay away from the fast downhill putts and wicked side hill putts are a good idea if possible.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

It really helps to know the course you're playing. Making sure you stay away from the fast downhill putts and wicked side hill putts are a good idea if possible.

It doesn't matter if it is downhill or uphill on same distance putts. A person is going to make nearly the same percentage. Example if you have a 15 foot downhill putt versus a 15 foot uphill putt, you'll make nearly the same amount each time. Proximity is the primary concern when it comes to making putts.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It doesn't matter if it is downhill or uphill on same distance putts. A person is going to make nearly the same percentage. Example if you have a 15 foot downhill putt versus a 15 foot uphill putt, you'll make nearly the same amount each time. Proximity is the primary concern when it comes to making putts.

The odds of 3 putting go up quite a bit on the downhill/sidehill putts @vangator is talking about.  I had one just this morning from the wrong level of a green that was very close to impossible to get within 4 feet of the hole (unless the hole got in the way).

The odds of 3 putting go up quite a bit on the downhill/sidehill putts @vangator is talking about.  I had one just this morning from the wrong level of a green that was very close to impossible to get within 4 feet of the hole (unless the hole got in the way).

Tiered greens are a special case. Situations where the ball actually picks up speed going down hill, is a different situation all together. Like lets say you place a ball on a tier and it rolls 6 feet past the hole. There is nothing you can do about that.

On majority of putts, it doesn't matter. Proximity is more important. I might say 90 degree putts are harder, just because there is more break to read.

Putts with relatively less break, going uphill or downhill, it is just distance control. There is not much extra difficulty between the two. Golfers adjust for an uphill putt with a longer putting stroke. Just adjust for a downhill putt as well. It's basically the golfers inability to control the distance of the putt.

In the end, practice them more often.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Tiered greens are a special case. Situations where the ball actually picks up speed going down hill, is a different situation all together. Like lets say you place a ball on a tier and it rolls 6 feet past the hole. There is nothing you can do about that. On majority of putts, it doesn't matter. Proximity is more important. I might say 90 degree putts are harder, just because there is more break to read. Putts with relatively less break, going uphill or downhill, it is just distance control. There is not much extra difficulty between the two. Golfers adjust for an uphill putt with a longer putting stroke. Just adjust for a downhill putt as well. It's basically the golfers inability to control the distance of the putt.  In the end, practice them more often.

Distance is a big factor, but I'll take that uphill putt anytime over the downhill and side hill. For one thing, with an uphill putt, you can be more aggressive and take some of the break out (which is a good thing). On a downhill putt, you can't be aggressive and every nuance and flaw in the green can affect your ball. At least I hope you're not trying to ram in those down hillers. :-)

Distance is a big factor, but I'll take that uphill putt anytime over the downhill and side hill. For one thing, with an uphill putt, you can be more aggressive and take some of the break out (which is a good thing). On a downhill putt, you can't be aggressive and every nuance and flaw in the green can affect your ball. At least I hope you're not trying to ram in those down hillers. :-)

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer downhill putts. Since I can make a shorter stroke, it takes some mechanical error out. I tend to misjudge the distance more on uphill putts.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Distance is a big factor, but I'll take that uphill putt anytime over the downhill and side hill. For one thing, with an uphill putt, you can be more aggressive and take some of the break out (which is a good thing). On a downhill putt, you can't be aggressive and every nuance and flaw in the green can affect your ball. At least I hope you're not trying to ram in those down hillers.

Unless you're talking about a foot or two, you take the putt closer to the hole.

Another way to look at it:

• Downhill putts require a smaller stroke, so you're more likely to hit your line.
  • Uphill putts punish misdirected putts more. Consider a straight putt. If you push it to the right lip on a downhill putt, it will still go in because downhill will "straighten it out." The uphill putt can miss by several inches because it keeps pushing the ball away.

But seriously, inside of 15', the shorter putt is almost always better unless you're talking about a few inches. Even a foot is not enough to outweigh the difference.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Distance is a big factor, but I'll take that uphill putt anytime over the downhill and side hill. For one thing, with an uphill putt, you can be more aggressive and take some of the break out (which is a good thing). On a downhill putt, you can't be aggressive and every nuance and flaw in the green can affect your ball. At least I hope you're not trying to ram in those down hillers.

Well uphill putts break less because they travel faster than downhill putts. So they take less time to get to the hole and have less time to break.

Depends on the greens, faster greens tend to be smoother and less bumpy. So really it isn't that big of a deal.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I do better on uphill putts. Sidehill putts I tend to be too aggressive and end up with a 2 or 3 footer coming back.

Brian   

Unless you're talking about a foot or two, you take the putt closer to the hole. Another way to look at it: [LIST] [*] Downhill putts require a smaller stroke, so you're more likely to hit your line. [*] Uphill putts punish misdirected putts more. Consider a straight putt. If you push it to the right lip on a downhill putt, it will still go in because downhill will "straighten it out." The uphill putt can miss by several inches because it keeps pushing the ball away. [/LIST] But seriously, inside of 15', the shorter putt is almost always better unless you're talking about a few inches. Even a foot is not enough to outweigh the difference.

I agree with everything but the last part. I'll take a 7 foot uphill over a 6 foot side hill every time. I play a lot of scrambles and being the A player makes the call on which ball to play. Almost always it's a no brainer to take the ball closest to the hole, but not always. On putts, I do factor in the break, uphill, downhill etc. I would take a 10 foot downhill over a 20 foot uphill.

In scrambles there is always a debate in my group with either taking the shorter sidehill putt or longer straighter uphill putt. It's not always the shorter putt that is the easiest

In scrambles there is always a debate in my group with either taking the shorter sidehill putt or longer straighter uphill putt. It's not always the shorter putt that is the easiest

Yes it is, unless you are talking about with in a couple of inches the shorter putt is the easier putt to make.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!