IGNORED

Mickelson vs Watson: Was Phil Right to Be Critical of Watson at the Press Conference?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Did Phil do the right thing by speaking his mind at the Ryder Cup press conference?

• Yes, Watson sucked as captain, it was the best way to get his opinion heard
    • No, it was passive aggressive and he threw Watson under the bus

You don't effect change by talking behind the scenes.

I think you misread me.

in essence, I advocate the process of first working behind the scenes - but if that doesn't work - that's the time to 'air the dirty laundry' in public.

Generically start with "Hey - this isn't working we have to talk" - then the response to that will decide if elevation is necessary or not.

in short - give those involve first crack at making change before forcing the issue.  skipping that part is the ******* move.  the mistakes can be on either extreme.  (by the way, you could apply this logic to how Tom led, or to how Phil would react)

mistake type 1 - forcing the issue without giving people the chance to do it themselves

mistake type 2 - never recognizing when it's time to go and take the next step

other than that, I just noted that I have no idea if Phil did it right and fairly, or if he made a type 1.  I'd error and give him the benefit of the doubt though.

teamwork requires buyin - so does addressing problems with bad teamwork

but for the Ryder Cup future leaders - I'm certain the message is loud and clear - get everyone with any experience in the room and come up, together, with the best formula experience can provide.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not surprised we lost because I thought the Europeans were better, and especially in this format. I was surprised at some of the lapses we had.

No way to know but I can't help but wonder if grumbling in the locker room by senior members didn't contribute. Sounds far fetched as I type it but I've seen it happen before in team sports.

Whatever it is the players know (or should know) and maybe will learn some lessons for next time.

Bubba is borderline nonfunctional on European soil...and for that matter most every course but a small handful that he feels comfortable on (i.e. Augusta). I don't think he should be on another RC team.

I agree. His face looked so sad, so dejected. Through entire sunday. He looked like he wanted to be back in florida's warmth and home. :-\

I choose option 3 - potentially valuable and on-target perspective, but aired at the wrong time / wrong venue. If Phil was also venting off the record to the press before the press conference it undercuts his own points by seeming too much like sour grapes about being benched. Even if Watson's management style wasn't ideal, I think it's classier to be a 'team player' while the team is still an official unit. I liked Furyk's comments. Gave respect to Tom's hard work & efforts even if he might have privately felt some of them were misdirected.

Tom Watson admitted he may have made some bad calls. If Phil was similarly self-effacing about his early play rather than appearing to shift the blame to Watson it would have actually bolstered his credibility. His flying over on his own rather than with the team - though probably a minor detail - was not a great 'team-first' move either.

The standout difference in captaining styles to me was that the European players were at least aware of McGinley's game plan so they had some expectations of what was happening with pairings and possibly less distracted by 'the unknown'. The Europeans also seemed much more 'on message' about their team themes and points of focus.

Kevin

What the media does or doesn't do is not the issue.  You're suggesting that a captain has a significant role on the outcome.  I disagree, especially when the score is 16.5 to 11.5.

Europe had a slightly stronger team, but not a 5 point stronger team.  Yes, something is wrong, but it is not the captain.  Just look at the recent history.  Watson should admit he failed; Mickelson should admit he and his team failed.  That is how the recovery begins (as opposed to pointing fingers).

The US team didn't play up to their potential, some of that is on them, but I think equally it's on Watson.  As Captain he had control over all the pairings.  I believe if there was more team building and more consideration for the pairings the results would have been better.  I know when I play golf with people I enjoy I play better than when I'm paired up with people that I find annoying.

Remember too, these guys are not a team outside of this one event, while they are playing, they represent themselves.  If I had to constantly take a crap 2nd shot because Bubba or Keegan were spraying their drives all over the course I'd start to get annoyed that I was looking bad because of things outside my control.

I've run a business for 10+ years and managed businesses for 20, good management goes a long way towards getting the best out of people.

Joe Paradiso

I voted "no" primarily because of the timing.  You don't blame the coach for the loss you just took.  It looks like whining and not owning up to the fact that you just didn't play as well as the other team.  Everybody knows we lost 8 out of 10 Ryder Cups - there will be plenty of time to discuss why that is before 2016.  Phil just looked, to me, like he was shifting blame.

Sure - making the comments during the press conference immediately following the loss had a big impact . .the wrong one.  Everybody watching the end of the Ryder Cup doesn't need to know about the team's dirty laundry.  Make the comments the next day or week and the people who care will hear them.

I would say it was a bad call to sit Phil and Keegan for all Saturday.  He should've sat Bubba all weekend.

Did you miss the parts of the interviews where he blamed, in no particular order, his players, their fitness, and his assistant captains?

He did not take "the heat" himself. He sloughed it off on others. They deserved some - even most - of it. But not the level to which he dished it out.

Good point. Forgot this. He did accept he made some bad calls, but these were not exemplary captain's comments.

I think the worst part about Phil's airing during the press conference is that it creates a tailor-made controversy that will become media fodder about team dissension during the runup to the next cup.

Kevin

No

I'm slightly surprised you're even asking the question.

Europe lost in 2008, not a single player broke ranks for six years publicly until such time as Faldo provoked it. We build teams and underatand that you win or lose as a team

The warning signs were there in June that things were going wrong, but the only people (other the myself of course!) who entitled to say to say "told you so" were those who had Chris Kirk and Billy Horschel tipped up. If any one of you did, then I applaud you (really, I do)

Mickelson broke ranks on Saturday evening by all acconts. Great preparation for Sunday

This man had ample opportunity to make his case before hand, but was more obseesed with himself

And you wonder whyAmerica can't build a team?

No

Europe lost in 2008, not a single player broke ranks for six years publicly until such time as Faldo provoked it. We build teams and underatand that you win or lose as a team

The warning signs were there in June that things were going wrong, but the only people (other the myself of course!) who entitled to say to say "told you so" were those who had Chris Kirk and Billy Horschel tipped up. If any one of you did, then I applaud you (really, I do)

Mickelson broke ranks on Saturday evening by all acconts. Great preparation for Sunday

This man had ample opportunity to make his case before hand, but was more obseesed with himself

I think you've got to form a team before Saturday night.

One can name a team, but forming a team takes real work.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarawayFairways

No

I think you've got to form a team before Saturday night.

One can name a team, but forming a team takes real work.

And for the Ryder Cup that starts with the captain.  If he fails, the team has more than just the opposition to overcome.  The captain's job is to put the team in the best possible position to win.  If they still get beat, then so be it.  That's competition.  But for the captain to distance himself from his team to the point where he is just giving orders and expecting them to carry them out unquestioningly is not a recommended form of team building or leadership.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

There is no doubt that Mickelson's comments created an awkward moment. But he said something that needed to be said at a time when it would be given the most attention.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Get rid of the President's Cup and the US would have the same 2 year anticipation that the Euros have. We play every year. The President's Cup doesn't have nearly the stature. Norman doesn't play any more.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I voted no. Phil had to realize that his comments would come across as highly critical of Watson and his approach. I appreciate that may be how he felt, but it wasn't the right time or place.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Last I knew they were both f****** men and I think a man can take a little criticism. Phil has every right to have his opinion express it as he sees fit. They're just words anyway. They are both hall of famers and I think they are on level ground. Why you have to tip toe around everyone in this damn country? No wonder shit is so screwed up.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I think Phil picked the right time. He obviously has more information from behind the scenes. Watson made some poor coaching decisions and most likely didn't take anyone else's input into account. Top that with losing over and and over.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Get rid of the President's Cup and the US would have the same 2 year anticipation that the Euros have. We play every year.

Europe plays better and shoots lower scores, that's how they win, it's not the 2 year anticipation. If anything playing these kind of matches every year should make the U.S. better in these kind of competitions.

Originally Posted by vangator

The President's Cup doesn't have nearly the stature. Norman doesn't play any more.

Greg Norman hasn't played since 2000, some of the most popular President's Cups were '03 and '05.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Get rid of the President's Cup and the US would have the same 2 year anticipation that the Euros have. We play every year. The President's Cup doesn't have nearly the stature. Norman doesn't play any more.

Europe had the Seve Trophy in October 2013 and the EurAsia Cup in March 2014. But Europe made the choice (and/or the players did) not to let all the best players compete in it. However in the EurAsia Cup earlier this year, McDowell, Bjorn, Dubuisson and Gallacher were present.

~Jorrit

My dad was very critical of tom watson's picks... Billy hoerschel should have been there, instead of like webb simpson...

granted, the losing dufner to injury, and Dustin Johnson to his own issues, neither exactly enhanced America's chances.

I did not understand how the pairings were chosen though...

Is it really that simple, that captains pick an order of play for their own team,

then the tournament official combines them into  pairings (singles matchups and foursome matchups, and fourball matchups?

Maybe I was slightly too critical of Bubba myself. Sadly I was unable to watch most of the team games due to school and errands. Bubba played ok on sunday in singles. He had tough opponent in Kaymer. HOWEVER BOTH PLAYERS are major champions of 2014.

Stenson vs Reed, I felt little bit sad for stenson. Stenson conceded some important putts to Reed on the back9. Reed did not concede some of Stenson's last putts. It kind of made Reed look like a jerk. But, what can you really do because you are playing for your own team - not for the opponent's team. I'm surprised that this didn't create more controversy! I knew about Reed's past arrogant remarks, but he did earn his place on team usa for sure, and he played some really good golf.

Watching Hunter Mahan's choke-up, was almost painful to watch. Hunter mahan choked exactly in the same way in the previous ryder cup, in singles on the back9.

Did Phil Mickelson really earn his points on the team, earlier on friday and saturday?

Cause I'm gettin a feeling that he kinda, has himself to blame too. I mean, more was expected of the "veteran golfers". Phil is a former major champion and has some golf game, on his good days, for sure. Maybe Phil should notice the beam in his own eye before the mote in captain watson's eye.

Note: This thread is 3406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!