IGNORED

2014-2015 NHL Season

iacas
Note: This thread is 3193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Word! NHL officiating is absolutely embarrassing. Zero consistency from one official to another and completely different "rules" depending on a teams placement leading into the playoffs and whole 'nother set of rules once the playoffs begin. Total mess that seriously threatens the integrity of the game.

Scoring at all-time lows this year… etc.

Best sport, worst league.

It's a joke, and the sad thing is the only choices fans have are to not watch, but that's nearly impossible because of the "best sport" part of the above.

This year (Pens would lose 2-1, as they did each of their losses):

Both goals immediately follow obvious penalties, and they're not even away from the puck. The puck is there in both instances.

Last year:

Wider angle:

http://www2.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=451684

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The NHL, along with the NFL, are the worst at officiating, IMO.

The problem with the NHL is inconsistency.  They'll call one penalty but then won't call another on a very similar play.

Personally, if they call the game the same way, whether it's to let almost everything go or if they call everything under the sun, then I'm ok with it.

As to the examples that @iacas posted, I read some of the Pittsburgh papers online after that game and found it interesting how they said how horrible it was the Rangers scored right after those apparent non-calls yet in papers and post-game show in NYC, from what I recall, it was considered a great play by Yandle and you didn't hear anything about LaPierre.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

People don't realize how hard it is to officiate a hockey game, let alone an NHL game. It's unbelievably fast and you have to be in perfect positioning for 60 minutes. I have tremendous respect for NHL officials. If the NHL wants to have perfect officiating, they'll have to do it from the press boxes with 10 men and 12 instant-replay monitors.

Also, that Kronwall hit may not get a suspension. Kucherov put himself in a terrible position, and the main point of contact was not the head.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=464949&catid;=995

People don't realize how hard it is to officiate a hockey game, let alone an NHL game. It's unbelievably fast and you have to be in perfect positioning for 60 minutes. I have tremendous respect for NHL officials. If the NHL wants to have perfect officiating, they'll have to do it from the press boxes with 10 men and 12 instant-replay monitors.

Agree with this.  I don't get too worked up over missed calls during games because of numbers.  There are 10 guys blazing around all parts of the ice at all times and there are 2 sets of eyes charged with watching all of it and seeing everything, penalty-wise.  That is a big ask.

It's the same reason I don't get worked up over missed balls and strikes, missed safe-out calls on close plays, and out of bounds calls in basketball.  They're doing their best at a really freaking hard job that is also thankless.

But when the league(s) try to defend the incompetence by confirming horrible calls, or by not suspending people that need suspending, then that's sort of where I draw the line.

Also, that Kronwall hit may not get a suspension.

Irritating as hell knowing that the fact that Kucherov continuing to play the game and being basically "fine" probably factors into this decision - if that ends up happening.  Also irritating to know that tomorrow being Game 7 is probably also being weighed in this decision.

Kucherov put himself in a terrible position...

If by this, you mean "at the end of Kronwalls flying shoulder," then, yes, I agree ... terrible position. :-P

• Administrator

They miss blatantly obvious stuff right by the puck. And in the Olympics the refereeing is much better. Not perfect. That's not possible. But WAY better. Refereeing is not consistent ref to ref, regular season to post season, or even period to period. That was not a "great play" by Yandle. You know how I know? Because I could have made that play. It took no hockey skill except not falling over.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If by this, you mean "at the end of Kronwalls flying shoulder," then, yes, I agree ... terrible position.

He had his head down while retrieving the puck. You can't have your head down in the NHL. Scott Stevens was known for penalizing players with their head down (most of these checks are now illegal).

They miss blatantly obvious stuff right by the puck.

From your bird's eye view they miss blatantly obvious stuff right by the puck.

And in the Olympics the refereeing is much better. Not perfect. That's not possible. But WAY better.

I'm not sure if I agree with this, but there are reasons why this might be the case:

• The Olympics plays on a larger ice surface. It is easier for the referees to get in their proper positions and see more of the plays.
  • There are not many Domi's and Clutterbuck's in the Olympics, so it is generally cleaner than the NHL.
  • The best-of-the-best referees are selected to officiate the Olympics. You can't have the top referees every single NHL game every night.

Refereeing is not consistent ref to ref, regular season to post season, or even period to period.

See point 3 above.

• Administrator
From your bird's eye view they miss blatantly obvious stuff right by the puck.

Ummmmm, no. [quote name="tmac20" url="/t/77408/2014-2015-nhl-season/120#post_1135043"]The best-of-the-best referees are selected to officiate the Olympics. You can't have the top referees every single NHL game every night.[/quote] You can/should be able to in the playoffs. Or get better refs. If you think there is no problem with the refs in the NHL we disagree quite a bit.

He had his head down while retrieving the puck. You can't have your head down in the NHL.

Well, not exactly.  He quickly looked down, looked up and across ice, looked back down and then back up, and Kronwall was already upon him.  He did not "have his head down," he just didn't see Kronwall.

Regardless, that old school thought is only for your own safety, not for the legality of the hit.  Certainly, he wished he'd anticipated Kronwall was going to charge him instead of trying to anticipate what pass he needed to make to move the puck, but hindsight is (figuratively ;)) 20/20.

If instead of looking across ice, he looked up ice towards Kronwall and the other defensemen chose to charge him instead of Kronwall, then he'd still get pummeled, and people would still figure out a way to blame him.

If you think there is no problem with the refs in the NHL we disagree quite a bit.

I think there's a problem, I just don't see a way to fix it without refereeing from the press boxes. They have selected the most experienced, highly skilled referees in the sport. It is a very difficult job. I don't know if you have watched any high school hockey, or adult league. If they placed one of those referees in an NHL game, he would be shot before leaving the arena.

That was not a "great play" by Yandle. You know how I know? Because I could have made that play. It took no hockey skill except not falling over.

And this is in keeping with what I said about how the play was reported differently in Pittsburgh vs. NYC. And IIRC, it was in the Rangers post-game where two ex-players were commenting about how great of a play it was. Maybe they were being homers, but I can only go by what I recall them saying.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• Administrator
I think there's a problem, I just don't see a way to fix it without refereeing from the press boxes. They have selected the most experienced, highly skilled referees in the sport. It is a very difficult job. I don't know if you have watched any high school hockey, or adult league. If they placed one of those referees in an NHL game, he would be shot before leaving the arena.

Referees admit to calling plays differently. The Penguins have a show (it's won some awards) where it's a "behind the scenes" type thing. It's called "In the Room." A few months ago Christian Ehrhoff was hooked pretty badly, and he asked the ref about it. The ref said that because he was able to battle through it and get the pass off eventually (though not when he wanted or with the pace he wanted), he didn't call it. Christian asked something like "so if I was a worse player that would have been a penalty" and the ref said "yeah, but you got the pass off."

They admit to calling things differently all the time. They admit to calling things differently in a tight game, or the third period… because they don't want to "affect the outcome." Yet they don't realize that by NOT calling what IS a penalty, they are STILL affecting the outcome.

And this is in keeping with what I said about how the play was reported differently in Pittsburgh vs. NYC.

Of course it was seen differently. But that doesn't mean it's actually something that can't be decided. Those were both penalties. As were Staal's repeated actions last year.

Refereeing and the enforcement of the rules are, combined, the single biggest thing holding hockey back. The playoffs continue to increasingly reward fourth-line type guys who clutch and grab and don't let skilled players play with skill. It's going right back to the "garage league" that it became in the 90s. It's a joke. Different rules, different enforcement, different everything.

It's a beautiful sport when played with speed, skill, and so on. Do I want a shitload of offense? No. But if you're going to allow tackling players, I'll just watch the NFL, because as bad as the NFL is, at least they favor offense and tackling is legal.

Referees admit to calling plays differently. The Penguins have a show (it's won some awards) where it's a "behind the scenes" type thing. It's called "In the Room." A few months ago Christian Ehrhoff was hooked pretty badly, and he asked the ref about it. The ref said that because he was able to battle through it and get the pass off eventually (though not when he wanted or with the pace he wanted), he didn't call it. Christian asked something like "so if I was a worse player that would have been a penalty" and the ref said "yeah, but you got the pass off."

They admit to calling things differently all the time. They admit to calling things differently in a tight game, or the third period… because they don't want to "affect the outcome." Yet they don't realize that by NOT calling what IS a penalty, they are STILL affecting the outcome.

Of course it was seen differently. But that doesn't mean it's actually something that can't be decided. Those were both penalties. As were Staal's repeated actions last year.

Refereeing and the enforcement of the rules are, combined, the single biggest thing holding hockey back. The playoffs continue to increasingly reward fourth-line type guys who clutch and grab and don't let skilled players play with skill. It's going right back to the "garage league" that it became in the 90s. It's a joke. Different rules, different enforcement, different everything.

It's a beautiful sport when played with speed, skill, and so on. Do I want a shitload of offense? No. But if you're going to allow tackling players, I'll just watch the NFL, because as bad as the NFL is, at least they favor offense and tackling is legal.

If playoff hockey was called using the rules implemented in 2005, there would be way too many penalties. And guess what? Instead of people complaining about the lack of calls, they'll complain about the referees calling everything. Hell, I already hear people complaining about too many penalties in the playoffs. There is no winning formula for the referees. They just have to call as fair a game as they can.

I agree that NHL officiating is awful. I also hate that there is a separate set of rules for playoff hockey, as if it's a completely different league. Players can hook and cross check and interfere with each other, because, "it's the playoffs, it's supposed to be tough." All the years spent trying to increase the skill level of the game and allow players the opportunity to make plays and it's all thrown out the window when round 1 starts. What a joke.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I can respect Scott Stevens for his intensity, but man what a nasty prick he was on the ice. I shed zero tears when he decided to retire.

Corey

Kronwall suspended one game. Honestly I didn't think they would, after not suspending Subban for the slash on Stone and Byfuglien for this idiotic play.

Also, this hit didn't even get a hearing. Was pretty similar to Kronwall's.

• Administrator
In your estimation, they were. In the box score of the game, they weren't.

No. Per the rules, they were penalties. That the refs didn't call them doesn't change that.

If playoff hockey was called using the rules implemented in 2005, there would be way too many penalties. And guess what? Instead of people complaining about the lack of calls, they'll complain about the referees calling everything. Hell, I already hear people complaining about too many penalties in the playoffs. There is no winning formula for the referees. They just have to call as fair a game as they can.

They don't call a fair game, nor do they call a consistent game.

Guess what about 2005? The players adjusted. You could change the rules to say "no touching another player with your stick at all" and guess what? Players would get called early out of habit, and then would adjust. You could enforce the rules that are currently on the books. Over the course of 82+ games, players would adjust. Before the playoffs, stress that the games will be called the same way, and players would quickly adjust.

I agree that NHL officiating is awful. I also hate that there is a separate set of rules for playoff hockey, as if it's a completely different league. Players can hook and cross check and interfere with each other, because, "it's the playoffs, it's supposed to be tough."

All the years spent trying to increase the skill level of the game and allow players the opportunity to make plays and it's all thrown out the window when round 1 starts. What a joke.

Yup.

Note: This thread is 3193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!