IGNORED

How do you grip your putter?

Note: This thread is 3106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's what I started doing was using the same grip ad all of my clubs. I really haven't had much trouble with speed it's hitting my line I have been struggling with. I don't 3 putt a lot I just feel like I should be making more 5+ footers.

I remember Billy Horshell saying his swing coach had him weaken his left hand (right handers) on putter grip, he said after that putts were dropping more and more.

I remember Billy Horshell saying his swing coach had him weaken his left hand (right handers) on putter grip, he said after that putts were dropping more and more.

Yeah my grip is definitely weaker than my full swing grip but it's the same type of grip. I want to get an edel before next spring and I want to make this change as well.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@saevel25 I thought 'wristy putting' long ago went out of style.

I occasionally practice with more wrist action, can get nice clean stroke but distance control would take time to master.  Now i am very conscious of how far, precisely, i take the putter head back. Prior to putt, I visually measure the distance, slope, etc and figure 'take back 4 inches'. So i take it back only 4 inches and focus on moving putter head along needed line, do my best to eliminate mental activity unrelated to 4 inches.  For backswing i  keep hands, arms out of play and move shoulders mostly, with head very steady. I aim to strike the ball right in the middle, imagining a thumb tack exactly there. As putter moves thru ball my lower body very slightly moves along line of stroke.

Have found good improvement lately with this technique.  Probably the subtle moving of lower body along line is most important for line control as putter head is not torqued off line by too rigid hips.

@saevel25  I thought 'wristy putting' long ago went out of style.

I use to have a putting stroke that was very much "no wrist" action. This made it very hard for me to have any sort of distance control. If you don't have a bit of soft wrist and arms you are taking out feel.

Switching things up, softening the set up and getting my hands in a more passive roll, and allowing the wrist to have some softness to them in the stroke, I am able to control my distance much better. Basically I returned feel to my swing. I am not talking Arnold Palmer type putting stroke.

So to me it felt more wristy, when on video it probably doesn't look like it at all.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Reverse double overlap.

Count me in, as well.

I was putting earlier this year with my right hand on the end of the grip and my left hand wrapped completely around my right. Worked better than the reverse single overlap I used to use, but I've made a few set up adjustments and I started pushing the ball too much. Switched and I have the same control over the stroke, but much more control over the putter head.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Reverse double overlap.

Same here... although I did experiment with the claw grip for a while. In high school I putted left-hand-low.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Same grip, essentially, as all the other clubs. Standard interlock- Only difference is the right finger down the shaft. It's comfortable, reliable and repeatable. Keeps the feel the same for all the clubs. IT's the same grip I've used for 40+ years.

Unlike the thread starter, I like to keep my hands as close together and compact as possible when gripping the putter.

I use what I think would be called a double-overlapping grip.  The pinky and ring finger of my right hand overlap the left hand and rest between ring and middle finger and middle and index fingers of my left hand.  The compact, double overlapping grip helps me to swing the putter like a pendulum and straight back and straight through.

Putting is probably the most subjective part of our game.  Seems very few golfers approach putting grip exactly the same way.

When my wife started playing, she asked about the putting grip.  I showed her the three grips I've used over the years and that I'd settled (years ago) on the double overlapping one and explained why I thought it worked for me.  Then, like a good husband, let her choose what she felt worked best for her.

She uses the interlock (like Tiger) grip for every other club.  If it's good enough for a driver and 7-iron, apparently it's good enough for her putter as well.

dave .

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I usually use an ordinary interlock grip, but I have been experimenting with the claw grip when I practice and I believe it have made my short putts much more consistent, but having a hard time with distance control on long putts, which I was usually good at. Anybody have advice on this?

Driver: Cobra Amp Cell-S - 10.5°
Woods: Cobra F-Speed 3 Wood - 15.5°
Hybrids: Cobra Amp Cell 2/3 Hybrid - 16°-19°
Irons: Mizuno MX-15 - 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled - 52°/8°, Titleist Vokey SM4 - 54°/8°, Titleist Vokey Oil Can - 58°/8°
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1

Proud member of the "Breaking Bad Club"!

I recently switched to a "very old school" grip. Best explanation I can give is that I still use my very normal, conventional  grip, but have turned my left hand counter clockwise, and my right hand clockwise. This grip tends to keep the putter face from opening too much on my back stroke, while not allowing it to close too fast on my forward stroke. This allowed for the putter face to stay square to my aim line a little longer than normal. Not much longer, but enough.

I know that this violates most, if not all, current putting grip teachings, and of course I am substituting mechanics for feel.

I think what I have done is forced my hands out of their natural positions, which also means they are working against each other. During my putting stroke, my left hand won't turn any more to the left, an my right hand won't turn anymore to the right. My left hand won't turn to the right because my right hand is opposing it. My right hand won't turn to the right because my left hand is opposing it. In essence both my wrists are locked in.

I had a tendency to pull putts, and this seems to have corrected the issue. Time will tell. I know I finally broke 80 in my second go around with this game using this method.

As a side note, I found out about this type of grip after reading a book by Bobby Jones. He said in this book the best putter he ever saw was Jug McSpaden who used a "funny" grip. that's why I wrote "very old school".

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I use a reverse overlap.  After reading Stan Utley's putting book I began assuring that I grip my putter along the life lines which does seem to get the shaft aligned nicely with the arms.  Then I worked my up to a Super Stroke 3.0 grip that really lets me get my hands in great contact.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

• 4 months later...
Trying to find somewhere that really explains the grip Stan talks about I have his book TAOP but he doesn't explain it very well, and I cant find a video that shos it up close or descent photos in Stages would be awesome.

Michael Breed teaches that lifeline grip.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

For me, my index fingers point down parallel to the shaft. Gripping the putter like a normal club didn't work for me in the past. And trying other grip configurations sort of blew up for me in the past. So, for now, for me, index fingers pointed and parallel, everything else hangs on for control. I do okay with putting in my own opinion. Putting is the least of my concerns with my golf game.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

• 6 months later...

Been going back to the thinner diameter pistol type grip instead of the thicker superstroke and now feel more confident when I hold the putter pressure points are my middle finger at the mid knuckle or my thumb pads depending if Im above or below the hole.

Reverse overlap. I pulled out an old Teardrop putter today. 28 inches. Gripped the putter so lightly that it just hung down. Lined it up. Rocked my shoulders and I was making 10 footers like they were gimmies. Playing tomorrow. Can't wait!

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!