Jump to content
IGNORED

My Experience Caddying in a Monday Qualifier


mvmac
 Share

Note: This thread is 2136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator

Makes you wonder where did all these people come from? Drawing from the pool of athletes that would have been destined for others sports? The big 3, European football, hockey, tennis, etc... Or did the pool get larger with all the money?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

And to try and add a little bit of perspective for us handicap golfers here:

  • The course is rated 74.4/136.
  • There were 151 guys who returned a score.
  • The winning score, in terms of handicap differential, was a plus 9.8.
  • Dead last place (3 guys tied for 149th) was a differential of 2.0. 
  • The median (75/76 place) was a plus 3.5. 
  • The average was plus 3.6.

The author of the article summed up the field pretty well too: "And this was a competition for guys who weren't in the field of a middle-tiered event."

Was thinking about this and I have to say it just amazes me how small a difference and skill and performance between these guys and the guys on the big tour. Half of these guys have swings that are more polished than Kevin Na's or a Frederick Jacobson and I am not simply talking about how it looks.

I also think this exactly why some of them never give up on the big dream and keep at it for years playing for scraps on tours that are few tiers removed from the big cheese. You (they) never know when your (their) number is up. It's sorta tragic and exciting at the same time. I will just wait for my bi-weekly auto deposit pay stub..    

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

And to try and add a little bit of perspective for us handicap golfers here:

  • The course is rated 74.4/136.
  • There were 151 guys who returned a score.
  • The winning score, in terms of handicap differential, was a plus 9.8.
  • Dead last place (3 guys tied for 149th) was a differential of 2.0. 
  • The median (75/76 place) was a plus 3.5. 
  • The average was plus 3.6.

The author of the article summed up the field pretty well too: "And this was a competition for guys who weren't in the field of a middle-tiered event."

Gulp.  :-O

Fairways and Greens.

Dave
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Was curious to see how the Monday qualifiers did today.

McClain played well. Hope the others turn it around tomorrow and make the cut.

58ddb5c755cb1_pgaqual.thumb.JPG.373b95550c64e4150b3909ae715a6fbc.JPG

  • Upvote 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Flash 10.5 deg Stiff
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

Was curious to see how the Monday qualifiers did today.

McClain played well. Hope the others turn it around tomorrow and make the cut.

58ddb5c755cb1_pgaqual.thumb.JPG.373b95550c64e4150b3909ae715a6fbc.JPG

Seems a pretty tall hill to climb for Gore. Surprised to see such a huge difference in scores for him in such a short time frame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Seems a pretty tall hill to climb for Gore. Surprised to see such a huge difference in scores for him in such a short time frame.

He had a quad on 18, his 9th.  That'll leave a mark...

See?  It's not just you and me! ;-) 

  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Seems a pretty tall hill to climb for Gore. Surprised to see such a huge difference in scores for him in such a short time frame.

As a friend of mine who played on tour told me...It's a whole different world once you get inside the ropes on the PGA Tour.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Flash 10.5 deg Stiff
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty sure I've seen it said that there's a bigger gap between a scratch and a pro than there is between a 10 and a scratch...

Colin P.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Pretty sure I've seen it said that there's a bigger gap between a scratch and a pro than there is between a 10 and a scratch...

I've heard that too, but I'm not sure I agree.  Just handicap-wise, it's close, because pros seem to be mostly in the (plus) mid to high single digit range.  But when you factor in anti-caps, and especially consider that it's apples-to-oranges in the sense that your average 10 cap casual round is nothing like a PGA tour round, then I think it's a bigger jump from 10 to 0 than from 0 to tour pro.

But it's probably fairly close, which is what's important to convey since people tend to try and compare scratch to pro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I've heard that too, but I'm not sure I agree.  Just handicap-wise, it's close, because pros seem to be mostly in the (plus) mid to high single digit range.  But when you factor in anti-caps, and especially consider that it's apples-to-oranges in the sense that your average 10 cap casual round is nothing like a PGA tour round, then I think it's a bigger jump from 10 to 0 than from 0 to tour pro.

But it's probably fairly close, which is what's important to convey since people tend to try and compare scratch to pro.

Sure, but I think people who make that statement are referring to how difficult it becomes to shave strokes once you get that low. As hard as it is to go from -1 to a 0, it's twice as hard to get to a +1. I know it's not right but I'm picturing an inverse variation in my head.

  • Upvote 1

Colin P.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

Sure, but I think people who make that statement are referring to how difficult it becomes to shave strokes once you get that low. As hard as it is to go from -1 to a 0, it's twice as hard to get to a +1. I know it's not right but I'm picturing an inverse variation in my head.

Yes, that I will agree with.  It's obviously not really quantifiable, but I'd bet it to be true.:)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...