IGNORED

My Experience Caddying in a Monday Qualifier

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks for answering my questions, Mike.  It would be interesting to see if Matt could play a fairly tight course like Harbor Town (lots of overhanging tree limbs and tree lined fairways) by just hitting his stock 5 yard push draw (really just a straight shot) all day long.

Maybe on these desert courses the player isn't as obstructed (on approach shots from the first cut or rough) by overhanging tree limbs and there's no incentive to work the ball?

Yes, if he hits it fairly straight he can definitely play a course like Harbor Town. I think you're over-estimating how much pros "work" the ball both ways and how much their stock shots curves.

This is pretty similar to the amount Matt was curving it. They are all curving but not very much. With these videos you have to take into consideration that you're not viewing the golfer from directly down the line. So a shot that starts more left or right (in relation to where the camera is lined up) may look like the ball is curving more.

Bubba's driver off the deck is the only shot that is curving a great amount. I disagree that guys are consistently curving it 20 yards or more.

Also, it's interesting to hear that even if there was a water hazard on Matt's left, he would still hit his stock draw, rather than try to take it out of play by hitting a fade.

Hazard bisecting the hole (about 260 out) and down the right , cart path and houses on the left. Like I said he didn't know how far it was to carry the hazard, had some doubt on the tee, hit his worst shot of the day, it happens.

He's comfortable hitting his stock shot, and is consistent with it.

Was Matt playing cast irons like Pings---that might have (marginally) assisted him in hitting it so straight? Or was he using forged muscle back or cut muscle back irons?

PING S55 irons but that doesn't really have much to do with it. Muscle back irons aren't any easier to "shape" when hit on the sweet spot than cavity back/game improvement irons.

Where GI/cavity back irons excel is in getting the ball up in the air, and on helping to reduce the error caused by mishits due to their higher MOI. But nobody good "shapes the ball" by mishitting the ball (missing the sweet spot).

Were there any equipment characteristics that were allowing him to hit it so straight? Extra stiff iron shafts?    X-100's?

Yes, he plays Project X 6.5 shafts but more importantly he has a good swing ;-)

What would you estimate his driver swing speed to be? 115mph?  Thanks, again.

115mph.

I think I could beat him in golf if I had a better mental game.

Ha! Good one. Think happy thoughts and followthrough.

These guys OWN their stock shot.

Yep and the top players own it more than the other guys.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hazard bisecting the hole (about 260 out) and down the right , cart path and houses on the left. Like I said he didn't know how far it was to carry the hazard, had some doubt on the tee, hit his worst shot of the day, it happens.

You'd have thought that a good caddy would've given him that info! :-P

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

"These marquee players are especially good."

Yep, and yet the vast majority of them still hit their stock shot almost all the time. Probably tells the rest of us that "working" the ball is something we should usually avoid unless we need it to recover from a prior bad shot. Even then, for a lot of us schlubs, it's also a pretty good way to follow that bad shot with a dumb one trying to do more than we should.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Great read, Can you shed some light on how do they choose who is in pre-qualifier vs qualifier?

Thanks

You just sign up to qualify. All you need is $200 and a handicap of 2 or lower (if you're an amateur).

Mike McLoughlin

You just sign up to qualify. All you need is $200 and a handicap of 2 or lower (if you're an amateur).

Oh, is that all?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This was really an interesting insight, There is so much more than what we see on television. Thanks for sharing!

Yes a lot more for sure, thanks for reading!

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, and yet the vast majority of them still hit their stock shot almost all the time.

Probably tells the rest of us that "working" the ball is something we should usually avoid unless we need it to recover from a prior bad shot. Even then, for a lot of us schlubs, it's also a pretty good way to follow that bad shot with a dumb one trying to do more than we should.

Probably going to go out next week and watch Web.com 2nd Stage Q-School at Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville, Florida. I went two years ago and I enjoyed it and learned more in this quiet setting (watching the pros) than in some of the PGA Tour stops I've been to. Watching these guys quietly going about their business without all the hoopla and crowds.  They'll be playing it down on dormant bermuda fairways. Very tight lies.  Not sure if the rye grass has come up yet on the greens.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...

Great news guys, I've got $200.  I'm halfway to becoming a PGA touring professional.

Yep, now you just need more Keys ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

Somehow missed this thread so bumping because I saw the link in the "pro" thread and because I find it very interesting but not surprising. I've encountered some decent golfers in the last three years and all of them provided similar insight. One guy is on the current Loyola Marymount team and he had no delusions about that being the height of his golf. There are always stories about pro fighting to keep their cards only to lose it so I assumed the high level of qualifier competition.

Dave :-)

I have TWO questions Mike....

1: you said " If you want to hit it farther without changing your swing, have a positive angle of attack with your driver."... Can you explain this to me, I'm having a hard time trying to visualize

this tactic.....Thanks...

2:......who uses the phrase " dope thread " anymore .... :roll:

CLUBS:ping: CART: :sunmountain: DRIVER: :callaway:GOLF BALL: :titleist:

1: you said "If you want to hit it farther without changing your swing, have a positive angle of attack with your driver."...​Can you explain this to me, I'm having a hard time trying to visualize

this tactic.....Thanks...

Check out this thread

Mike McLoughlin

Great news guys, I've got $200.  I'm halfway to becoming a PGA touring professional.

Why halfway? Just double up and fork out $400.

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 2552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!