IGNORED

Mini Tour Play

Ben
Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good day today. Played a Pepsi Tour event at Porter Valley C.C. (my home course). Shot a 2 under 68. Couldn't have been a nicer day. Sunny, 70*, not a breathe of wind. My 68 got me second place. Lost to a guy that shot 7 under, 63. Last year he played on two PGA Tour events as a Monday Qualifier. So, I'll take a second to him. Plus I actually had 7 birdies, so if it weren't for my 5 stinkin' bogeys, I was right there.

Two of the bogeys were 3-putts, but, I didn't really mind them too much. I gave the birdies a solid chance and they just ran out a bit too much. The other bogeys were just whatever. I guess when I make more birdies than the bogeys I don't mind those bogeys too much.

My birdies were pretty great. Five of them from inside 4 feet. And the other two were perfect speed, center cup putts. One from about 20 feet (third in a row) and the other from about 11 feet. Good tee shots, good approaches and solid putts. That was fun.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Very nice!! Congrats! Maybe one day I'll be able to shoot a score like that

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Bogies are unfortunate, but 2nd place is never a bad thing. Good Job!!!

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Thanks guys.

On the Pepsi Tour website: Yesterday's results . And at Empire Lakes February 8th. Moving up the money list ...

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Hey Ben how are you enjoying the Pepsi Tour? I have a good friend playing the Pepsi tour, Gateway tour and Southwest Tour. All mini tours but not a bad way to start. Have you enjoyed your experiences? I am thinking about spending sometime back down in AZ on the Pepsi, whats your thoughts. Good Luck!

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Hey Ben how are you enjoying the Pepsi Tour? I have a good friend playing the Pepsi tour, Gateway tour and Southwest Tour. All mini tours but not a bad way to start. Have you enjoyed your experiences? I am thinking about spending sometime back down in AZ on the Pepsi, whats your thoughts. Good Luck!

I like the Pepsi Tour because I make money on it. Its my confidence booster tour. The fields and payouts could be bigger though. Dunno why its the size it is here? But, I have a feeling its got a larger following in AZ. Seems like the money leaders are coming out of that division of Pepsi. So I can only assume the fields are larger, maybe better competition.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I like the Pepsi Tour because I make money on it. Its my confidence booster tour. The fields and payouts could be bigger though. Dunno why its the size it is here? But, I have a feeling its got a larger following in AZ. Seems like the money leaders are coming out of that division of Pepsi. So I can only assume the fields are larger, maybe better competition.

Im heading down to Palm Springs this weekend to wack the sticks around, wouldnt mind checking out any events, but I dont believe there are any between Friday and Tuesday? So far im hoping to enter my first Pepsi Tour event @ Wigwam Resort Litchfield Park, AZ Monday, April 13, 2009

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Im heading down to Palm Springs this weekend to wack the sticks around, wouldnt mind checking out any events, but I dont believe there are any between Friday and Tuesday? So far im hoping to enter my first Pepsi Tour event @ Wigwam Resort Litchfield Park, AZ Monday, April 13, 2009

Not terribly close to Palm Springs, but, in South Orange County at Coto de Caza there's a Golden State Tour event on Monday the 23rd.

http://gstour.com/tournaments.php Its about an hours driver, maybe a bit more. But, if you want to test your game, that's the place. I'll be playing.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Thanks Ben, is there a buy in fee or just registration? If i can make it there and if my game isnt too rusty I will try and find ya there. Good luck anyhow!

Whats in the my bag,

Thanks Ben, is there a buy in fee or just registration? If i can make it there and if my game isnt too rusty I will try and find ya there. Good luck anyhow!

Entry fees for GS Tour is $300 for their one-day events. As a non-member I think there's a $20 extra charge or something. I pay cash when I get there. And I'm sure Michael, he runs it, takes walk-up play.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Hey Ben, didnt get a chance to make it up there but the warm weather was nice! except for sunday, so intense winds! Played golf everyday so that was great. Hope the tourny went well. Maybe we will meet up another time.

Whats in the my bag,

The NGA Hooters tour still exists. Another great tour is the Grey Goose/ Gateway Tour in Tuscon. I played in a Hooters event a while back in Myrtle Beach. Finished pretty well but wasnt enough CHING to turn pro. Didn't take it. I have a couple guys I know on Nationwide and 2 on PGA and have really been thinking of giving it a go, but you gotta have some deep pockets behind you. Other than that I'm ready. I used to Think I was ready, not any more......now I know!

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

The NGA Hooters tour still exists. Another great tour is the Grey Goose/ Gateway Tour in Tuscon. I played in a Hooters event a while back in Myrtle Beach. Finished pretty well but wasnt enough CHING to turn pro. Didn't take it. I have a couple guys I know on Nationwide and 2 on PGA and have really been thinking of giving it a go, but you gotta have some deep pockets behind you. Other than that I'm ready. I used to Think I was ready, not any more......now I know!

Don't know where Fallon is in NV but have you played any of the Butch Harmon Tour stuff? Is it even still around? I heard it might go under...

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Don't know where Fallon is in NV but have you played any of the Butch Harmon Tour stuff? Is it even still around? I heard it might go under...

Yeah it's not looking good for that. It's Vegas based, and costs about as much as the Tuscon stuff, but you can't win as much money. Make sense to anyone else........didnt think so.

Tuscon is great $18,500 for 12 events, 13 if you qualify for season ending tourney. But the purses are decent. If you make 10 cuts you make your money back. Not too bad. Scores aren't that crazy. 10-16 under for 3 days. Not too tough of courses either. You shoot even-1 under you can make the 2 day cut.

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

Yeah it's not looking good for that. It's Vegas based, and costs about as much as the Tuscon stuff, but you can't win as much money. Make sense to anyone else........didnt think so.

Pardon my ignorance here, but do you mean it costs you $18,500 for 12 events? And if you make the cut in 10 you can make your money back? If this is the case how do you stay a float? I understand that it's expensive to play the pro tours but I think this logic is a little crazy? Does anyone else think so?

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Hey Ben,

How old are you? And when you say you are a PGA Apprentice, what does that entail? I need to get my game serious before I graduate in May. Major life decision coming up.

Driver: G10 9*
3-wood: 909F3 15*
Hybrid: 909H 19*
Irons: 695MBs
Wedges: 56 & 52 64 spin milledPutters:Seemore FGP Spider

Pardon my ignorance here, but do you mean it costs you $18,500 for 12 events? And if you make the cut in 10 you can make your money back? If this is the case how do you stay a float? I understand that it's expensive to play the pro tours but I think this logic is a little crazy? Does anyone else think so?

I can't believe it!!!!!!!

Someone has finally worked out that these tours are businesses. Amazingly, there are no tournaments where people are queueing up to pay money to a bunch of guys who happen to be decent golfers. In these events you are competing to win back your own money plus that of the other players. In short, unless you are backed financially, you don't stay afloat.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Hey Ben,

I'm 33. Turned pro just over 2 years ago. If you can manage to shoot under par in the majority of events, you'll do alright for yourself on mini-tours.

My PGA Apprenticeship is totally seperate. I work at a private club too and I'm going through the PGA/PGM program to become a Class A PGA Pro. Which basically gives me an upper hand in trying to become a Head Pro or Head Teaching Pro somewhere, if playing doesn't pan out. Find yourself a job on a golf course that gives you full golf privileges and lets you make extra cash teaching.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!