IGNORED

Mini Tour Play

Ben
Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm back, what a total waste. 8 over and 3 over equals 11 over. Total lameness. Better luck next year I guess...?

While golf in Kunsan was terrible, partying in Seoul was out of control! What a city! Night one we stayed out until 4, night two until 2, night three was early and we got home at 12. But night four, forget about it. That was my last night in the city, and with a flight at 8:55 and having to catch the shuttle at 6, I figured, hell, why not just stay up all night? So, with the help of Viki and Dawn, that's just what I did. Man I miss that place. A friend and I are planning a trip in the Summer.

Back on my horse.

I got back Tuesday and spent the day doing laundry. Wednesday it was right back into action at Brookside in Pasadena. Hadn't touched a club since the previous Friday I didn't really know what to expect. 12/14 Fairway, 12/18 greens, Even par 72, tied for 3rd place, coincidentally enough, with my buddy Chris, who was my travel mate and also played Korean QSchool. (He also failed to qualify). All was well in the world of golf!

Today I played at The Retreat in Corona . Next week the Golden State Tour is playing a match play event. Winner of the event receives free entry fees for the entire year, second gets 50% off. The course is a bit of a joke. Super target golf, crazy elevation changes and out of control tiered and crazy greens. But, did alright for the first time around. Another day, another round at even par. There's another one of these coming up in January at Soboba Springs.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement everyone!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 1 month later...

2011 has gotten off to a rocky start.

Playing in the seeding match of the Golden State Tour's Match play event at Soboba Springs Jan 3rd I hit a shot super fat and totally jacked up my hand. It was the 13th hole. I was 2under at that point and cruising through, great easy golf. And then that. It actually wasn't too bad the rest of the holes, just a little twinge. The next day I wake up, and can barely lift the club with just that hand, my right. I go ahead and try and play my match. Against Kenny Kim, 25 years old, played in last year's US Open. yeah. I was 5 down after 9, hahahaha. but managed a rally on the back and lost only 3 and 2. I really shouldn't have played that day. I took five days off to rest because I had another event on the 10th at Temecula Creek Inn. One of my favorite courses.

The rest helped. I could still feel the pain, just a tad, but nothing unbearable. I end up shooting even on the front, bogeying the 1st and birdie'ing 9. I get it to 1under by 17, where I go bogey, bogey. haha, thanks golf. Day off tomorrow. Another tournament the next day.

Jan 12/13. GSTour at Twin Oaks, site of the Monday pre-qualifying for the San Diego Open (Farmers Insurance). Not much of a course, there's a lot of driver, wedge here. I shot 4 over the first day. Started birdie, birdie on day two only to unravel by the 8th, and then I just had no spirit in my game. Just went through the motions. This time the hand wasn't that great. The pain was still there, noticable, and screwing with my head at this point.

There is a doctor at my club that treats patience under my insurance plan. He usually plays Sundays (tomorrow) If I see him I'll set up an appointment, if not, I'll be calling Monday. Regardless, I am only putting right now and am fighting the urge to play anything until Feb 9th. Pre-qualifying for the LA Open (Northern Trust) at Angeles National.

Yay, 2011!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Sorry to here about the hand Ben.  Best to make sure you are fully recovered than to try and play through it.  You might miss a few events, but could work out for you better in the long run.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Thanks Quinn. At first I wasn't too worried about this, I've had a serious injury before and healed rather quickly. Then after playing that last event I felt as though this may be a lot more serious than I first thought, I was kinda depressed yesterday and particularly today, both days have been about as nice as could be and I have to sit home and not golf... I have a call into my doctor to get this looked at. I can however say that since I have taken this rest, there is little pain in the hand. But, still a noticeable bump. We shall see what the doctor says and a few weeks off brings.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ben,

Wanted to see if there is any news on the injury or if you have been playing at all?

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Yo Quinn!

Well, yes, there is news actually. Turned out to be a bad sprain. Rest and Aleve was my prescription. After the three weeks or so its been, I hit balls for the first time two days ago. Hit another bucket yesterday. And played my first round today. The time in between was not wasted however, I worked on the practice green for hours and hours. The timing couldn't have worked out any better, tomorrow is pre-qualifying for the Northern Trust at Angeles National in Sunland

Getting to hit balls again was exciting, and went as well as I could have expected. I was bit concerned when I felt a little pain after the first shot. Pushed through that though and at the end of the bucket I didn't even remember I had the sprain to begin with. Yesterday I pushed pretty hard, hitting a bucket and going through most of my putting routine with chipping too. It felt tired after that, but, a good tired. The round today was okay. A windy one out here, but the temperature was nice enough. Barfed on myself on the front, but came back on the back.

I tee off at 8:40 tomorrow. I'm looking forward to a good, fun round.

Originally Posted by Quinn07

Hey Ben,

Wanted to see if there is any news on the injury or if you have been playing at all?

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

i was just going to come to check in and see how things were progressing

great to hear you healed up and are back in the swing of things

good luck in ur tourney and post back how you do

thanks for the updates Ben!

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Great news! Good luck!

Originally Posted by Ben

Played in a Golden State Tour event today. Mission Hills Gary Player course (73.4/131, 7062Y, Par 72) in Rancho Mirage (Palm Springs area). I was -1 for 15 of the holes! The other three, well, not so hot. A triple and two doubles. Oh that's fun! I love it! It was alright though. I stayed calm and didn't let it turn into a total tailspin. Made a BUTTLOAD of putts today, tester 3, 4, 5, and 6 footers. Unfortunately most for par. But at least something was going great.

Anyone else here play any mini tours?

Besides Golden State, there's also The Pepsi Tour and The CalPlayers Tour here in So. Cal. I've also found this site with links of most known tours in the nation: http://www.dmoz.org/Sports/Golf/Orga...ns/Mini-Tours/ I did notice The Hooter's Tour wasn't listed there...

Im gonna start trying my hand at mini tours any helpful hints?

Thanks guys, unfortunately another not so hot round. Hit some great tee shots, rolled in a few nice putts. But, mainly for par. Just missed really bad on some approach shots. I think if I would have had a little more time to work with my full swing, I would have been better off. Oh well, I'm not going anywhere but up. There was a little write up about Laura Davies (I think it was) in GolfWeek or GolfWorld this week and how she keeps winning Euro Tour events. At every one she gets asked about retiring. She said something along the lines of: I keep winning at 47, why retire? Its these types of players that keep me going. I've got plennnnty of time to work with.

On the bright side, my good buddy Damian shot 66 and is on to Monday qualifying at Industry Hills! I'm 95% sure I'm going to follow him. Gonna try to get a few more friends to go. You can follow along here: http://scpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/scpga11/event/scpga1124/index.htm

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 1 month later...

A ray of light.

Man, golf has just been a major pain in my ass since coming back from my hand injury. I've battled through crappy tournament rounds and countless hours of practice. Today things seem to have worked. Played my weekly tournament at Brookside (Koiner Course 1) in Pasadena. As I was warming up on the range I noticed a slight fade to all my shots, so, fade was what I was going to play. Hit the ball like a freakin' champ! Swung within myself, played aggressive but not overly. Great shots all day! The greens were my downfall, but only kinda. They punched their greens two weeks ago, they were alright, but by no means greens that were letting putts drop. 15 pars, 3 bogeys, not a single birdie. I did have some great looks coming down the stretch.

Noone had a good day putting and 3over actually finished in the money (T5). That's been a loooong time coming. I did miss a 1 foot putt and did bogey a par 5, that being said I could have easily come in solo 3rd place. But I know better to dwell on the negative. A great day of super solid golf! I'm back!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Congrats on the money finish.  Keep at it, that practice and perseverance will pay off.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

The whole thread? sheesh, pretty decent read though huh... :)

And thanks for the support. It means alot!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by golfyboy4

Im gonna start trying my hand at mini tours any helpful hints?

Sorry golfboy, just realized you posted this. Theres a few things you're gonna want to do. Play as much as you can. Familiarity breeds confidence. And watch the guys you play with. Especially when you get a chance to play with the top dogs. Watch their demeanor and how they manage themself and their game around the course. The best guys are usually the most calm.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Send my buddy Sam some good vibes. He's doing alright in the SCGA Pub Links held at Brookside GC in Pasadena. Yeap, the same course I'm always playing on Weds. In any case, he's in solo 7th going into the final day. Top 40 and ties (out of 175 players) advanced through the two day cut. As usually Tim Hogarth is killing another SoCal Am event. This guys been dominating for years.

The Leaderboard

I went out and followed him in the first round. A bit of a tough day on what some consider the easier of the two courses, but its definitely got some teeth. Particularly playing it soaked down from rains. But he's a smart kid and held his cool. Took on the much longer and brutal course 1 today. Held tight with a round of even par. We're thinking he's gonna take second. First place is just too far out of reach.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

As a matter of fact, yes. I'll be up in NorCal on the 11th for the Nationwide event.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!