IGNORED

Mini Tour Play

Ben
Note: This thread is 1553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Ben, how did you turn pro? What did you have to do?

R7 Limited Patriot 9.5º
Sasquatch 15º
Idea Pro Gold Hybrid 20º
Tour Preferred Irons 4-PW
Z Smoke TP 52º SV Tour Black Satin 56º Rossa Core Classics Fontana One Tour

It's not magical really. I entered a mini-tour event in the professional division. That's it. It's just a matter of taking the step of giving up your amateur status. Combining paydays of over $750 made it official. That's the hard number that turns one professional.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Very interesting thread and all the best to you Ben, in your quest to get on tour.
I really hope the Japanese Q-School goes very well for you this year.

As a curious spectator, how does their Q School work out? Is it 4 rounds and the best 50 are given tour cards? and how is the Japanese tour schedule?
All the best

and if you need a caddy, give me a PM ;) I might be unemployed in April ;)

Seriously, all the best with your golfing dreams.

Ben one quick question I live in MN where it is still cold and snowing, but are there any good mini tours in the Midwest that anyone knows of? Thanks for your great thread and good luck.

http://www.dakotastour.com/ This is a tour that kicks off in early July with a pretty good sized event at my home club here in Sioux Falls. They have a guaranteed payout of $10k to the winner, kind of a big amount for a mini tour in South Dakota anyway.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

I've heard really good things about the Dakotas Tour!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

It's a really cool little tour....the only problem is that it's in South Dakota and thus very short!!

Ben, come on out and play in the Bakker Crossing Pro Am....guaranteed pay of out $10k. You can stay at my place, or I've got a friend that lives right on the course that I can set you up with. C'mon out!

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

That sounds pretty enticing! But, if all goes to plan, July is when I move to Japan. If not, I'll give that Dakotas Tour a shot, why not? I think its cool, what it is two months of tournaments and like 2 a week or something? I hear because it is Pro-Ams that that is how they keep entry fees for the pros down, while the pot get pretty big...?

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I really don't know too much of the specifics regarding the makeup of the tour itself but I think they play every few days or so- some events are two day events and some look to just be one day tournaments too. I don't think all of them are pro ams but the one at my course is and this will be the 2nd year of it. Last year we got great feedback from the sponsors, pros and ams that played. I actually ended up volunteering for it last year but I am playing this year. Here is the 2009 schedule, last year my course was the opening event but being on 4th of July wknd kinda sucked so we backed off a week it looks like.

I looked at last year's top winners and it looks like the top guy took home over $60k so for 2 months of play that is a pretty good little bit of change. You could come here and clean some clock to get some cash for Japan. The offer is out there so feel free to drop me some IMs if you decide to get more involved in kicking around the idea.

Home...

That's really awesome of you. Thanks so much. Honestly if its not Japan, than this is right up there on my list. I'll definitely keep in touch as the dates get closer. Thanks again!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

No problem, it would be my pleasure. Do keep in touch, I would love to be of assistance as you persue this- I think it would be pretty cool having you around and maybe some good golf habits would rub off on me in the process!

Home...

It would be my pleasure. I think it would be great to be able to help out as you persue this. Who knows, maybe some good golf habits will rub off on me in the process. Keep in touch as the time comes closer, it's not a bad fall back plan if needed!

Home...

Sheesh. Well, another dissapointing day. What a grind. Played at Old Ranch CC in Seal Beach. Nice place, good condition, not terribly long except a few of the par 3s. Got a practice round in yesterday, shot even.

Got to the course in plenty of time today. Hit some balls, rolled some putts, felt good about the day. Missed from 5 feet for par on 2. OK, its only the second hole. Ended up parring until the 6, where I got my stroke back with a birdie. On 8, missed from 2 feet for par. Great. On 10, 2 feet for par, nope. On 12, my birdie putt rolled about a foot and a half passed the cup, and into a gnarly heel-print, I don't know how I could have hit that putt and made it. That's 3 shorties missed and I wasn't finished there. Missed maybe two or three more from short distances. Ended up shooting 5 over.

So, after all this I made a b-line to Angeles National and worked on short putts for an hour and a half. Figured out my problem. I was getting too hesitant and decelerating. Silly mistake. But, at least I figured it out.

It was a really good ball-striking day though, and I wasn't too far out of the money, or worse off, dead last. I can feel good about that at least. Next Monday is another event, and a bunch of Mondays after that.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Keep your head up Ben, sure it'll come together for your next tournament.

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

Thanks for the update Ben... It's always nice to read your cooments.

Glad you figured out your putting.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

Thanks guys!

I think I grew as a golfer today. Figured out how to have a good bad day.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

So, after all this I made a b-line to Angeles National and worked on short putts for an hour and a half. Figured out my problem. I was getting too hesitant and decelerating. Silly mistake. But, at least I figured it out.

Well, next Monday will be better. You're due for another win!

If it helps any, the short ones have been getting me lately, too (albeit on smaller stakes). I used to get 20 in a row on the putting green, and lately the 8th one keeps tripping me up. I need to get back to 20 in a row!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ben sorry to hear about your short put woes... the good thing about that is its easy to fix. I bet you kill it next time. good luck next time im excited to hear how you do. I've started a thread like yours but for my 2009 amatuer and league season. So everyone check it out!!

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthr...219#post267219

Go get em ben! ill do the same

Ping Hoofer Team
TaylorMade Tour Burner TP 8.5* Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65 Stiff
Titleist 13.5* 906F Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 80-S
TaylorMade TP Smoke Irons 3-PW Project X Rifled 6.0
Cleveland CG 12 ZIP Grooves 54* 58* Scotty Cameron Studio Style 1.5 35' Golf Pride Butter Grip. Titleist...

Sheesh. Well, another dissapointing day. What a grind. Played at Old Ranch CC in Seal Beach. Nice place, good condition, not terribly long except a few of the par 3s. Got a practice round in yesterday, shot even.

I know it's something like saying "Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play?".......but, it sounds like with the exception of the short putt woes (and I know from experience how frustrating that is) you had a pretty good day of ball striking. Look at it this way, you can't miss those short putts, if you don't have 'em to begin with! Thks for the update.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!