IGNORED

Mini Tour Play

Ben
Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ben

As a matter of fact, yes. I'll be up in NorCal on the 11th for the Nationwide event.

Play well Ben!  We look forward to hearing good news on this.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ben

As a matter of fact, yes. I'll be up in NorCal on the 11th for the Nationwide event.

Ben, just took a look at the qualifier page, they've got you playing Boundary Oaks for the qualifier?!!  You ever play that course, need a caddie?  I've got a couple other buddies playing in the qualifier also that day, will be paying close attention.  Seems odd to have the qualifier out there when they had it at Wente Vineyards last year.  Wente is waaaayyyyy nicer than Boundary, and a lot tougher too.  Regardless, use to play Boundary during college every so often, pretty straightforward course.  When do you get up here for it?

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

This is one of my favorite threads on this forum.

Keep going strong Ben.  We are rooting for you!!

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by OCdude12

Ben, just took a look at the qualifier page, they've got you playing Boundary Oaks for the qualifier?!!  You ever play that course, need a caddie?  I've got a couple other buddies playing in the qualifier also that day, will be paying close attention.  Seems odd to have the qualifier out there when they had it at Wente Vineyards last year.  Wente is waaaayyyyy nicer than Boundary, and a lot tougher too.  Regardless, use to play Boundary during college every so often, pretty straightforward course.  When do you get up here for it?

A caddy with course knowledge would be awesome ! Are you offering your service?

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

This is one of my favorite threads on this forum.

Keep going strong Ben.  We are rooting for you!!

Thanks man. Happy to hear you enjoy it!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Maybe we should meet up and grab some lunch or something. I'll also be playing at Boundary Oak for the Monday Q for something fresh. I'm staying right outside the SJ airport attttttttt... Mind blank... I can't honestly remember the hotel at the moment haha. But shoot me your contact info if you want (or I'll send you mine) if you'd like to meet up for some food or grab a drink after the round.

Originally Posted by tsdnorton

Maybe we should meet up and grab some lunch or something. I'll also be playing at Boundary Oak for the Monday Q for something fresh. I'm staying right outside the SJ airport attttttttt... Mind blank... I can't honestly remember the hotel at the moment haha. But shoot me your contact info if you want (or I'll send you mine) if you'd like to meet up for some food or grab a drink after the round.

Cool, that sounds possible. Let's see where our tee times fall.

Have you played BO? hahah, "BO", anyway, I was up there Wed/Thu. Got to play 1-12 the first day and practiced on the second. Those greens are something else. Crazy slope and from what I hear, they can get pretty fast!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Sheesh, Brookside #1 is such a pain in the ass! I was battling all day long out there today, shot 1over and tied for second in the Pepsi Tour's weekly event there. It was nice to place in the money, but come on, 1over felt like 5over. This place really has a way of beating people up! 7200yards from the tips, spotty conditions, decent greens, just kick you in the ass golf!

I wasn't hitting the ball particularly well today. Just lacked a bit of confidence in my swing, don't know why... But putted and chipped pretty spectacularly. Five birdies, a double (water), and four bogeys. The bogeys and double were simple ball striking errors. The birdies though were super legit. This first was on the short 317y par-4 first hole. Got up and down from 51y. Something I've really been working on lately. My second birdie was on 10 where I drained a monster 30 footer. It was good the whole way though. Great stroke, center cup. Then birdied the par-5 11th getting up and down from 30y short. Another monster putt on 14 is where the next birdie came. Again, straight off the putter I knew it was good. 35' again, center cup! The last birdie was on 17, A par-3 which played 169 today. Finally hit a decent approach shot. Smoothed a 7iron fade into about 9'. Once again though, that putt was good straight off the face. I don't normally walk putts in, but I was up and after that ball.

Next up and the Nationwide Tour's Fresh Express qualifier in NorCal on Monday. Have been up to play a few practice rounds. Playing at Boundary Oaks in Walnut Creek. Its a public course, but pretty well kept. I'm sure all the recent rain had a lot to do with that. Greens are borderline out of control with slope. Its in the foothills so everything breaks off the hill, so the slope isn't deceptive, but there certainly is a huge amount of slop to the greens. Anyway, heading up Sunday afternoon, maybe get some time in on the putting green, and off to work Monday. I'm thinking 66 is gonna be the number.

The Leaderboard: http://ncpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/ncpga11/event/ncpga1154/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by Ben

Sheesh, Brookside #1 is such a pain in the ass! I was battling all day long out there today, shot 1over and tied for second in the Pepsi Tour's weekly event there. It was nice to place in the money, but come on, 1over felt like 5over. This place really has a way of beating people up! 7200yards from the tips, spotty conditions, decent greens, just kick you in the ass golf!

I wasn't hitting the ball particularly well today. Just lacked a bit of confidence in my swing, don't know why... But putted and chipped pretty spectacularly. Five birdies, a double (water), and four bogeys. The bogeys and double were simple ball striking errors. The birdies though were super legit. This first was on the short 317y par-4 first hole. Got up and down from 51y. Something I've really been working on lately. My second birdie was on 10 where I drained a monster 30 footer. It was good the whole way though. Great stroke, center cup. Then birdied the par-5 11th getting up and down from 30y short. Another monster putt on 14 is where the next birdie came. Again, straight off the putter I knew it was good. 35' again, center cup! The last birdie was on 17, A par-3 which played 169 today. Finally hit a decent approach shot. Smoothed a 7iron fade into about 9'. Once again though, that putt was good straight off the face. I don't normally walk putts in, but I was up and after that ball.

Next up and the Nationwide Tour's Fresh Express qualifier in NorCal on Monday. Have been up to play a few practice rounds. Playing at Boundary Oaks in Walnut Creek. Its a public course, but pretty well kept. I'm sure all the recent rain had a lot to do with that. Greens are borderline out of control with slope. Its in the foothills so everything breaks off the hill, so the slope isn't deceptive, but there certainly is a huge amount of slop to the greens. Anyway, heading up Sunday afternoon, maybe get some time in on the putting green, and off to work Monday. I'm thinking 66 is gonna be the number.

The Leaderboard: http://ncpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/ncpga11/event/ncpga1154/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Keep it goig Ben.  It looks like bogey's are something that you need to reduce as much as you can?

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Not a bad run today at the Nationwide Fresh Express qualifier. Got to the range at 7:00 for my 7:50 tee time. did a little stretching hit a few balls. Was a bit concerned when I noticed that I was hitting a baby draw instead of the fade I've grown to know, love and rely on. Ultimately though, when I finished with a particular club, I forced myself to hit a fade and did. And with the three drivers I hit on the range, all were nice baby fades.

So, to the first tee, where I met my competitors, Kris who runs a teaching school in Monterey and Sonoma. The other, Keith and Class A pro who has been on the Nationwide Tour for some years now. Both older guys but with a lot of game. Keith was a big dude that could still step on it and crush the ball out there. Started off with three quick but testing pars. On holes 1 and 2 I had to navigate some looong birdie putts on the slick and sloping greens. It was those greens that cost my first bogey, on the 4th. My tees shot, which I thought was pretty good, ended up getting kicked left of the fairway with trees in the way of a normal trajectory shot, So I punched a 5 iron up to pin high. But I was about 40' with a putt that broke about 15', seriously. I put a good stroke on the first putt, Had the line nailed just hit it a little hard and it ran out to 8' missed the come-backer for par. No biggie, I had a short par 5 next, and found myself just short of the green with about 25' to get up and down. Nearly chipped in for eagle, leaving myself a tap in birdie. The next hole, 6, a par-3 got me. Needed to hit a high 4iron, but it ended up being a crushed frozen rope 4 iron to the back of the green and about 50' away. I managed to get the ball to 3 feet, but missed that one... That sucked. I really love short putts too. But, with that bogey come another follow-up birdie on the next hole where I drained a nice 20' putt. Does anyone see the pattern yet? Bogey, birdie, bogey, birdie... Bogeyed the next, and this one really blew. 8 is a short par 4. I had 82 yards to the pin and stuck it to 3' again. This one was super slippery and downhill. I hit the putt far too hard, rammed it through the break and left myself with 6' for par, and missed that... Great! but, the pattern continues as I come back with a birdie on 9. Another long one drained, this one about 30'. One of the caddys and I joked that I was just putting my shots too close. Three bogeys, three birdies on the front, even par.

On 10 I left myself with a nice long one again, and feeling these long putts I was ready to drain another. I had the line perfect! But it finished inches short. Right in the jar! Hole 11, oh this blew. This is a dog leg right with a lake protecting the tee shot right. I nailed a drive into the head-wind, which in turn over-exaggerated the fade. It hit dry land a few times but just didn't want to stop, finally doing so inches into the water. Drop, one on, two putt. Bogey... 12 and 13 were two solid pars. 14 was a dogleg left par 5 playing 578y. My tee shot got two awesome cart path bounces and left me about 250 out. I took 3wood and knocked it on the green, but in the back, on the upper tier. The pin being down in front and on these slopey sloper greens. I put a good roll on the putt, getting the speed down, but the break had me fooled. I left myself 6' for birdie, and drained that sucker! Put a great stroke on it, no doubt about that one, center of the cup. At this point I was thinking time to Schwartzel it in. Four holes to go, four chances at birdie. Came up way empty on 15, settling for a good up and down par. on 16 I stuck PW to about 5', but the break got me. 17 was a 220y par 3. I hit a bitchin' 3 iron in to about 11'. Viscous lip-out there! 18 was no better. A par 5 where I was just short in two. hit a little bump and run PW from 60' that I left in totally the wrong place. 4' above the pin on a crazy slope. All I had to do was tap it and hope it didn't wiggle off line too bad, well, it wiggled... I gave myself the chances as least, but ultimately came up empty. One bogey, one birdie on the back for another nine at even.

So, four short missed putts, and one penalty stroke cost me my shot at the big-time. If it weren't for those I'd have finished at 5 under, 4 under qualified...

All in all a feel good day though. I only missed two greens. bit the ball great all day, did make some good putts. I'm right there...

http://ncpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/ncpga11/event/ncpga1154/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

• Upvote 1

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Damn man I feel like you were right there.  Gave a good run at it though I'm sure.  That must have been a roller coaster ride for you going bogey birdie bogey birdie.

That front nine is crazy when I look at your scorecard!  As I said eariler, if you can minimize the bogey's you'll be golden!  Thanks for sharing with us in such detail!

Deryck Griffith

What a difference a day makes. 82 Round 1, 67 Round 2

How about we not even talk about round 1? I've already blocked out everything but the nice birdie putt I made on hole 3 to get myself under par and the tournament going in the right direction. After that, a total blur...

Round 2. I honestly didn't really feel like being there, other than to try and shoot a 59. And I gave myself a good chance by making a nice slider from 7' for birdie on the first. I was hitting fairways and greens but only coming away with pars until I hit the 8th. 8 is a dogleg left par 5. doesn't really work well with the fade I play, but I managed. Poked a driver out there, bunted a 3 wood from a downhill lie to 62y and managed my 58* wedge to 2 feet. Nice birdie there. On 9 my cut driver only turned into a baby fade that I kinda pulled. It was headed for the trees and I was fearing having to punch out and try and get up and down for birdie. But I got to my ball to see that I had the perfect gap between two trees and with 110y left, just my 54* wedge in my hand. Fired at the pin, which was placed 10y from the edge of the green guarded by a lake, and stuck that one to 3 feet. Another solid birdie put me at 3under after 9.

So we get to 10 a notice two groups waiting on the tee... I find the tournament director's assistant and ask him what gives, then head to the golf shop and do the same. Poor planning on the golf shop's part. What's worse there were still two more groups to play after those first two groups that were already there... At first I was like WTF?! I just went birdie, birdie to finish the front, now I'm gonna cool down waiting for these goobers. Well, I banished that thought from my head, grabbed my wedge, and practiced chipping until it was our turn to hit to keep lose and focused on golf.

Finally, our turn to hit, I grab my 2h and nuke this perfect fade down the middle of the fairway. I in turn stick another 58* wedge to 3 feet and keep the birdie roll going. At this point I'm drooling all over myself. Number 11 is a shortish par 5 that is playing downwind for a change. Driver, super awesome high fading 3 iron just passed the pin to 18' for eagle. I gave it a hell of a run, but played a touch too much break. But, 2 feet for birdie and that makes four in a row! 12 is a par 3 which I made a solid 2-putt for par from about 40'. To hole 13, which, like 11 usually plays into the wind, but for some reason we had this favorable wind today. So instead of 3 wood, 5 or 6 iron, today I went 3wood 9iron, and took advantage! Stuck the 9 iron to about 8' and gently rolled in that downhill right edge putt. At this point I'm 6under through 13 holes! with four birdies in the last six. Then, disaster!

On 14, I pull a tee shot into the woods and hear a loud clank. We go down to look, I was hoping that clank was favorable, but it wasn't. Lost ball, so I go to the provisional that I totally piped down the middle (go figure, right) hit it up to 25 feet, and two putt for double... My heart sank. Especially with hole 15 next. 225y to the pin of a par 3. Not letting myself get carried away thinking I have to fire at the pin, I wise up and figure, "let's make a par here and try to birdie the next few" So I take out my 3iron to get it to 215y in the middle of the green, which I did to perfection. Actually made a pretty good run at the birdie putt, but was happy with a par. Because 16 is another par 5! This tee shot is a bit demanding though, as you need to find the left side of the fairway, trees block a path to the green from the right. I do find the left, but the rough takes some yards off my drive. I wind up with 225y out and try to hit a 2h up in there. I don't get it there and leave myself a little short, but a lot left. 28y to a pin tucked over a bunker. I pulled off a decent flop shot, but ran my birdie from 12' just over the right edge. ugh that hurt.

17 was a bit of a challenge, my 3 wood fade off the tee turned into a nuked 3 wood with no fade, into a fairway bunker. I kinda over cut skanked a 6 iron into a tree short of the green. Luckily my ball managed to get out of the huge root system and onto a decent lie. From there I knocked a chip up to 7', but it was a bit of a tester. Kinda downhill with left to right break out about one cup. Kept my head down and still, put a nice stroke on the ball and drilled it! Center cup. Then to 18. This is a bit of a wacky hole for my fade. Its a dogleg left with a lake well in play off the tee on the right of the fairway about 240y out. If I barely push this ball with any type of cut its gonna be wet. But, I bombed a drive down the left tree line that stays dead straight and up on the left side of the fairway with 125y left. The pin was tucked back right with water that protects the right. Again, if I barely push cut this ball it might hit the green and bounce into the water. I play it a little safe and aim 5 yards left of the pin. I tugged it a tad but with the slightest little fade it ended up 12' left of the pin and just a touch long. At this point I'm 4under par (which is my career low in a tournament) and looking at this 12' birdie putt for a new career low. Hit down, head still, good stroke... Center cup. Actually walked it in! Hell yeah. Screw you first round 82! How about 67 (with a double bogey) in your face!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Things are heating up!

Shot 1under 71 at Brookside #1 today to claim solo third.

One was a standard par, then got right into trouble on 2, not getting up and down from the greenside bunker. Then to add insult to injury, I missed my 2 foot bogey putt. Yay! Shook it off though, it that last round of 67 I had a double, late in the round. Certainly I can come back from a double early! And I did. Solid pars at 3 and 4, lead to back to back birdies on 5 and 6! Had a look at birdie on 7 but settled for par. 8 was a bit of a fight. My beautiful fade I've been relying on was acting up a bit today, and bit me here. A ball in a hazard off the tee on this par-3 and I was looking to get up and down for boggeeeyy? I did, no problem! To hole 9. Let's think like Tiger and make a birdie on the next hole. I hit an alright 4 iron out to the fairway, and was looking at 165y, that I needed to fade around a huge tree. Pulled it off to a tee. My 7iron sent the ball to the pin like a guided missle, landing inches from the hole and checking up to just over a foot! YES! So with a double and a bogey, I managed to throw in three birdies to match and finish the front at even par.

Ten; bomber driver, mediocre PW, great 2 putt for par from 30'. 11 is a par five, reachable, if you can find the fairway on this super tight fairway. I didn't find the fairway, but was able to advance my 3 iron nicely, and got up and down from 72y with my 58*. 12, holy cow, what an up and down. This hole was playing deep. I hit a pretty solid driver, but still had 230y to the pin, I straight nuked a 2h that didn't cut at all, took a bad kick against a stone OB wall. I had to take my backswing up high and face and smash down on this thing. Well I managed to squirt it on the green to 11', then made the putt no prob! 13 is a tough par 3 that was playing 197y to a tiny green. I hit in the bunker and was faced with an even harder up and down then on the last, this time no luck. So, back to even par. 14, PW in hand, par, whatever. Oh, 15, a par-5 and after a so-so driver I was left with 255 to the pin. I hit a rocket baby fade 3 wood that coulnd't have been any better. Hit the middle of the green, right into the slope perfectly and stopped about 16' passed the pin. The putt was kinda slippery downhill so I didn't want to get too aggressive and run it passed. I could have at least got it there though... left the eagle putt about 5 inches short, right in the jar...16, solid par, 17 solid par.

To 18, a beast of a par 4, 470y. Thick rough and trees left, water right. I hit a super nice fade tee shot to the middle of the fairway. My adrenaline is pumping and I mess up from here. with 189y in I first think, 6 iron. I'm hoped up, I should hit 6 iron. But no, with the pin in back I decide to go 5 iron, thinking that if I miss it just a little with the 6 I'll be too far short and have a crazy putt. I hit a really weak, squirty shot, that somehow end up going about 205, over the green, into a bunker! Great thinking Ben. Go with your first instinct! So now I'm faced with a pretty straight forward bunker shot from 20y or so, but a bunker shot on 18 to stay 1under. I go through my routine, step up, and hit it to 3.5'! Wow, I thought that was the shot of the day! I drain the putt and walk off with third place money.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Nice!!!  Grinding out the saves.  That is rock steady on the saves man.  Keep it up!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by OCdude12

Ben,

If you need a caddy at Wente Vineyards sometime give me a shout. I worked there in '03-04 and know the course inside-out.

I love this thread. I've been reading it from start to finish over the last few days.

-James

My Equipment:
Driver: 9.5* R9, 73g Fubuki stiff | 3wood: 15* R9 3 Wood, x-stiff shaft | Hybrid: 19* Lynx Hybrid, reg. flex | Irons: MP-68s (4i-PW), 5.5x flighted |
Wedges: 52.08*, 56.11*, & 60.07 Vokey Spin-Milled | Putter: Pixl L1.8, 33.5" | Balls: Pro V1x |

Originally Posted by Whiskey84

Ben,

If you need a caddy at Wente Vineyards sometime give me a shout. I worked there in '03-04 and know the course inside-out.

I love this thread. I've been reading it from start to finish over the last few days.

-James

Thanks James,

I appreciate the offer and will have to reference back to this next year! So be ready when it happens.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Hey Ben,

Do you play the Gateway Tour much or do you mainly stick to the GS,Pepsi and Qualifiers? I will be down in La Quinta for about 1-2 months next year (early Spring) and I was planning on playing some Pepsi tour events and whatever else I can find. The Gateway Tour seems to have some steep entry fees but the payout is high. What do you recommend. I played a couple Pepsi tour events in 2008, small fields but good guys and a lot of fun. Let me know what you would recommend, who knows maybe we could get a round in together. Good luck and play well.

You should make your way up to Vancouver and play a few VGT events, I've played with a couple guys on the Cali Tours up here.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Originally Posted by Canuck

Hey Ben,

Do you play the Gateway Tour much or do you mainly stick to the GS,Pepsi and Qualifiers? I will be down in La Quinta for about 1-2 months next year (early Spring) and I was planning on playing some Pepsi tour events and whatever else I can find. The Gateway Tour seems to have some steep entry fees but the payout is high. What do you recommend. I played a couple Pepsi tour events in 2008, small fields but good guys and a lot of fun. Let me know what you would recommend, who knows maybe we could get a round in together. Good luck and play well.

You should make your way up to Vancouver and play a few VGT events, I've played with a couple guys on the Cali Tours up here.

Hey Canuck,

No, I don't have any experience with the Gateway Tour, sorry. As far as SoCal goes I'd recommend the Golden State Tour and there's a new one called the Cal State Golf Tour. Both have decent fields and the entry fees are reasonable, payouts are fair. The competition is really good though. There's been a lot of guys recently coming out of the GSTour making a name for themselves.

I've always wanted to go to BC, I hear Vancouver is a fun city. But, I've got no current plans to travel there.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!