IGNORED

Made a big mistake.

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah . .I think you were in the wrong but I don't know if I would call it a "Big Mistake", lol.  The guy also seems like kind of a jerk to just glare at you.  He could've just said that he doesn't really care to play by all the rules.

People don't have to play by the rules if they don't want to.  As long they aren't holding up play by taking 3 mulligans on every swing . .I'm all for it.  Personally, I have never re-teed after hitting ob.  If I can't find it, I just drop another.  Am I a big fat Cheaty McCheater?  No - because I'm just playing for fun.  I'm not playing for money, to post a handicap score or even post a score at all.  I don't really keep score.  But there's no reason why I can't play right alongside somebody who is.

Honestly, I don't know why you even said anything; like you said, he's a complete stranger and you're not playing for any sort of money or even bragging rights so I don't get why you said a word. On top of that, the way you said it comes across as being kind of a dick.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can understand how everyone feels like you had a poor choice of words, but his reaction wasn't that great either. He could have made the choice to laugh it off or tell you "in a funny sort of way" to f* off. This would have made you realize your wording was poor but it wasn't that big of a deal either.

Michael

If you had said the same thing to me, I would have thanked you, moved the ball back and continued to play.  And taking a 2 inch gimmee is perfectly fine in my book.  You are correct, however, that many people will react poorly to Rules advice.  Lesson learned.

What the OP did was not rules advice.  Rules advice is when someone is trying to figure out their 2 club lengths for an unplayable lie drop and you say "you know you also have the option of dropping back as far as you want keeping the original position of the ball between you and the hole."

Unsolicited quoting of a rule to someone who is violating it is not rules advice.  And in a case where it is not a competition or a match it is being a jerk.  It is THIS kind of thing that gives people who DO play by the rules a bad name.  In fact it is the rare example of what people seem to think is so common, i.e, being a Rules Nazi.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Unsolicited quoting of a rule to someone who is violating it is not rules advice.  And in a case where it is not a competition or a match it is being a jerk.  It is THIS kind of thing that gives people who DO play by the rules a bad name.  In fact it is the rare example of what people seem to think is so common, i.e, being a Rules Nazi.

Clearly cultures differ, but where I play what you're saying here would be regarded as nonsense. Whether playing in competition or not, we play by the rules. Anyone teeing up outside the markers would be told so in no uncertain terms. And that's if we're being kind. We might let you tee off and only then tell you that you're subject to a penalty. I'm quite serious. It has nothing to do with being a "rules Nazi", it is merely ensuring that there's a common standard. And don't you Americans have to put in every card in order to maintain your handicaps? In which case, cheating is cheating, isn't it?

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Clearly cultures differ, but where I play what you're saying here would be regarded as nonsense. Whether playing in competition or not, we play by the rules. Anyone teeing up outside the markers would be told so in no uncertain terms. And that's if we're being kind. We might let you tee off and only then tell you that you're subject to a penalty.

I'm quite serious. It has nothing to do with being a "rules Nazi", it is merely ensuring that there's a common standard. And don't you Americans have to put in every card in order to maintain your handicaps? In which case, cheating is cheating, isn't it?

Yes, most of us play by the rules.

For example, I teed off the longer tees by accident (habit), and gave myself the 2 strokes.

If we don't care about the rules, we wouldn't be arguing over them on the internet. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Clearly cultures differ, but where I play what you're saying here would be regarded as nonsense. Whether playing in competition or not, we play by the rules. Anyone teeing up outside the markers would be told so in no uncertain terms. And that's if we're being kind. We might let you tee off and only then tell you that you're subject to a penalty.

I'm quite serious. It has nothing to do with being a "rules Nazi", it is merely ensuring that there's a common standard. And don't you Americans have to put in every card in order to maintain your handicaps? In which case, cheating is cheating, isn't it?

The OP started: " Playing public course with guys i don't know."

We are talking about a casual round with a stranger, not a round with your club members.  Now if, in your neck of the woods, you routinely call out total strangers for not following the rules (especially if you do it in the way the OP said HE did it) then yes, in THIS culture you would be considered a Rules Nazi.

Cheating implies some kind of competition.

So, a common standard for what?  WHO is being cheated?

Anyone who has paid any attention at all knows that I am a fervent advocate of playing by the Rules.  However, it is not a one size fits all world and people play golf for a variety of reasons and i am not about to impose my own personal standards of play on people who I do not know who may be playing the game for different reasons that me.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

The OP started: "[COLOR=181818]Playing public course with guys i don't know."[/COLOR] We are talking about a casual round with a stranger, not a round with your club members.  Now if, in your neck of the woods, you routinely call out total strangers for not following the rules (especially if you do it in the way the OP said HE did it) then yes, in THIS culture you would be considered a Rules Nazi.   Cheating implies some kind of competition. So, a common standard for what?  WHO is being cheated? Anyone who has paid any attention at all knows that I am a fervent advocate of playing by the Rules.  However, it is not a one size fits all world and people play golf for a variety of reasons and i am not about to impose my own personal standards of play on people who I do not know who may be playing the game for different reasons that me.

If I'm playing with someone, whether or not I know them, I am playing against them. If I didn't want to keep score I'd be playing on my own. And yes, I'm going to call out a total stranger if they're cheating. If you're not playing golf, you may as well be hacking the ball around a football field.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

I And yes, I'm going to call out a total stranger if they're cheating. If you're not playing golf, you may as well be hacking the ball around a football field.

That's fine, but are you going to say " The rules indicate .....x.... to be played........ " and  come across as a complete tool?

The problem is with the way it was done, not what was done.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Personally I would not have called him out especially where others can hear.Best thing to do was to let him know to be careful about being behind tee markers when you could talk to him closeup without others hearing.No offense but you cant tell him about not being behind the marker when you turn around and give yourself a 2 inch putt.That 2 inch putt matters just as much as him being  4 inches in front of marker.In tournaments I play in it doesn't bother me if the guy is few inches in front of marker because really what difference does it make?Id never even tell him about it unless I observed it on every hole and only then id be basically doing it as favor to him because someone else might not like it and penalize him.

If I'm playing with someone, whether or not I know them, I am playing against them. If I didn't want to keep score I'd be playing on my own. And yes, I'm going to call out a total stranger if they're cheating. If you're not playing golf, you may as well be hacking the ball around a football field.

Really culturally different I suppose.

You are saying that even if you are paired up with a total stranger who may or may not be keeping a handicap, you are playing AGAINST them.

Even at my club there are members who never post a score. They also never participate in any tournaments. They are only out there for a good walk and good company.

I guess where you play that would be banned and they would either be kicked off the course or voted out of the club.

Unless I have a bet going or I am in a club tournament, I am only playing against myself.

If I was playing with my regular group or with someone I know I will point out that they were teeing off ahead of the blocks but with a total stranger ... never.

In casual rounds with none of my money on the line. If it's a friend or a family member: I tell them in a joking way that I hope they don't continue that habit in a round that matters. If it's a stranger I'm paired up with: I couldn't care less if they take it halfway to the green and tee it up, and in some cases I wish they would.

it is being a jerk.

Well, it is apparent you know how to be one, too.  joekelly said he knew he made a mistake.  He did not ask whether his comments were appropriate.  He doesn't need a bunch of internet strangers to tell him what he did was not a great idea.  My comment was not intended to be a discussion about what constitutes "advice" as to the Rules of Golf, just an acknowledgement that what he did was not a big deal and that we all step in it sometimes.  Thank you for all the capitalized words of unsolicited advice.

Brian Kuehn

Playing public course with guys i don't know. On third hole hole, par 5 over the canyon, i noticed player C tee his ball forward of the tee marker, by about 4 inches.  There was no doubt.

Stoopid me.  I said to him 'the rules indicate balls not to be played forward of marker'.  He turned and gave me a mean and nasty glare.  I meant no harm.  He did not move ball back to proper place. I said no more to him that day about the rules.

Later in day, i gave myself a 2 inch gimme putt.  He again glared at me.  No one's perfect.

If that's the worst thing I'd said or done in the last month, I'd be happy. I sure as hell wouldn't worry about it. We all say things we'd love to take back. No big deal.

Here's something that might make you feel better. A couple of weeks ago, I was playing by myself at a course I'd never played. Was waiting all day for a foursome who wouldn't let me play through (or so I thought) - but no big deal. I finally caught up to them after they had teed off and they said "we were waving you on to play through" (even though I was looking, I never saw them make any gesture to me). So I thanked them, teed up a ball, promptly hooked my driver into hit a tree but never saw it land. I went up to the tree, found "my" ball, and succeeded to finish the hole and get the heck out of their way. I get to the next tee box and discover I am no longer playing with my ball - I had found one of theirs that had similar markings. Words can't describe how embarrassed I was. They were very nice about it but I could tell they didn't think much of me - rightfully so.

joekelly said he knew he made a mistake.  He did not ask whether his comments were appropriate.  He doesn't need a bunch of internet strangers to tell him what he did was not a great idea.  My comment was not intended to be a discussion about what constitutes "advice" as to the Rules of Golf, just an acknowledgement that what he did was not a big deal and that we all step in it sometimes.  Thank you for all the capitalized words of unsolicited advice.

+1. It's amazing how some of the people on this thread will tear you a new one if you don't play by the rules or don't keep a handicap, yet are this critical of someone who admits he'd made a mistake by calling out a cheater face-to-face. I don't get it.

• Upvote 1

Jon

I'm just getting used to seeing this type of stuff by playing so often. Like people kicking out of divots, throwing my ball back to me from an 18" putt, driving up when I'm teeing off, not giving me honors when they expect it, etc. People are people, don't let it get to you. Just remember that you're out there for exercise and fun.

Does it really bother you to not be given "honors"? It can be a terrible waste of time...my buddy and I never play by that, and we encourage others that we get paired with to disregard honors. Ready golf trumps honors, when the person who has the honors isn't ready.

Colin P.

Does it really bother you to not be given "honors"? It can be a terrible waste of time...my buddy and I never play by that, and we encourage others that we get paired with to disregard honors. Ready golf trumps honors, when the person who has the honors isn't ready.

Nah, it's just weird when people make a big deal about it and ignore it when it's your turn.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What if this guy was going to post it towards the HC? What if he would have noticed playing forward of tee markers only after hitting the tee shot and been even more gloomy after that...

Playing with strangers, after few holes they are not anymore that strange. You should be able to tell if they can accept comments and which kind of comments.

We usually joke (even with "strangers"), about someone teeing in front of markers. People are usually upset, but more about their own lack of concentration than the comments made.

I would myself be very mad to myself for doing such a mistake, even if not posting.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!