IGNORED

Single digits...how to get there

Note: This thread is 3323 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In an earlier post I suggested hitting a three wood off the tee if the driver has betrayed you that day.  I still think that is a good strategy to lower your handicap.  One final thought for me to play well is grip pressure.  Keep a light grip pressure.  Something that I must be aware of when the pressure is on.

In an earlier post I suggested hitting a three wood off the tee if the driver has betrayed you that day.  I still think that is a good strategy to lower your handicap.  One final thought for me to play well is grip pressure.  Keep a light grip pressure.  Something that I must be aware of when the pressure is on.

Distance is more important than accuracy. 250 yards and in the rough is way better than 230 yards and in the fairway. You can be more accurate two club lengths less from the rough. Also, statistics show that 3 woods are not that much more accurate than a driver. PGA Tour players don't become that much more accurate with a 3 wood. To me the only reason you want to hit a 3 wood is if there is a hazard were your driver could end up on a good drive, basically if you are forced to lay back.

I would say that people probably need to feel more grip pressure. Amateurs don't hit thousand upon thousands of golf balls a week. Unless their job includes something that enhances their grip strength, then they probably need to feel like their grip is firmer than what a PGA pro suggests. PGA players have stronger hands because they play more golf, so their feel is lighter than ours.

Example would be, lets say there was a machine that could read out grip strength. Then you ask the person to describe 1 out of 10 how hard they are gripping. A PGA Tour player might say their grip is a 5 out of 10. An amateur to get the same measurement probably would say 8 out of 10.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say that people probably need to feel more grip pressure. Amateurs don't hit thousand upon thousands of golf balls a week. Unless their job includes something that enhances their grip strength, then they probably need to feel like their grip is firmer than what a PGA pro suggests. PGA players have stronger hands because they play more golf, so their feel is lighter than ours.

Example would be, lets say there was a machine that could read out grip strength. Then you ask the person to describe 1 out of 10 how hard they are gripping. A PGA Tour player might say their grip is a 5 out of 10. An amateur to get the same measurement probably would say 8 out of 10.

I would have to agree, but does increased grip pressure cause tighter wrists, tension elsewhere in the arms?

Brian   

Distance is more important than accuracy. 250 yards and in the rough is way better than 230 yards and in the fairway. You can be more accurate two club lengths less from the rough. Also, statistics show that 3 woods are not that much more accurate than a driver. PGA Tour players don't become that much more accurate with a 3 wood. To me the only reason you want to hit a 3 wood is if there is a hazard were your driver could end up on a good drive, basically if you are forced to lay back.

In general I agree and I am certainly as stubborn as anybody about pushing my luck with a driver (even when most people consider it a "non-driver hole").

But:

There have been plenty of times that I was hitting my driver so badly that I would have scored better using almost anything else off of the tee. Anything in the fairway (or findable in the rough) is better than a ball OB, lost in the woods, or in a water hazard.

I would have to agree, but does increased grip pressure cause tighter wrists, tension elsewhere in the arms?

Yes, a death grip can cause arms to tighten, but that takes A LOT of grip pressure to restrict arm movement. You can train yourself to feel different levels of grip pressure as well. You can also develop better finger strength so you are not engaging your forearm muscles for grip pressure to.

There have been plenty of times that I was hitting my driver so badly that I would have scored better using almost anything else off of the tee. Anything in the fairway (or findable in the rough) is better than a ball OB, lost in the woods, or in a water hazard.

But I've hit a ball OB with a 3 wood before as well :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

But I've hit a ball OB with a 3 wood before as well :whistle:

3 wood? I've laid up on tee shots with a 5 iron and hit them in the woods :-X

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

But I've hit a ball OB with a 3 wood before as well

A man's got to know his limitations. Should have gone with the PW. ;-)

Nothing aggravates me more on one of our holes that has OB on both sides than to "lay up" and hit it OB (and I've done it plenty). When that happens I'm thinking I might as well have ripped the driver.

I'm more likely to keep it in play with a fairway wood than I am with a driver where even a bad shot equally as many degrees off line has a chance of stopping short of OB.

But then laying up also gives me a better chance of hitting my second shot OB (which I've also done). :doh: And less likely to make a birdie even if I hit the fairway.

The obvious best answer is to get better at hitting the fairway with a driver. That's what "good players" do and what separates them from me.

Par 5 fifth hole. Where I usually hit my drive there is a tree just off the right edge of the fairway. It's branches overhang the fairway. It's about 230 yds out. If I hit my drive normally I'm usually on the fairway under the tree. This is not good. I have hit my drive 240 on that hole twice this season. I made the green or greenside in two both times, and parred the hole. It is a very difficult green for me. If I don't I'm going up and down for a bogey or double. My other choice was to hit a fairway wood off the tee to end way short of the tree, go three to the green and take a chance that I'd two putt. It's the #1 handicap hole on the course because of the green.

However, since last night I was hitting the back fence at the driving range with my driver dead straight (250 yds carry), my plan is to get to the green in two and putt for eagle, hope for birdie, and likely end up with par.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I was just pondering on how to reach a single digit handicap.  You are not going to reach single digit handicap with one or two doubles.

Totally incorrect. Not only can you reach single digits with one or two doubles, you can get all the way down to the 5's. ;). Don't want to take my word it? Ask @David in FL ... If I had a nickel for everytime he's posted "today I shot 78 with two birdies and a silly double" ...

Totally incorrect. Not only can you reach single digits with one or two doubles, you can get all the way down to the 5's. ;). Don't want to take my word it? Ask @David in FL ... If I had a nickel for everytime he's posted "today I shot 78 with two birdies and a silly double" ...

You are not going to reach single digit handicap with one or two doubles.

I beg your pardon?

You thought I was recommending double bogeys?

Do you think it's possible to suddenly decide never to have  a double bogey again?

The point I was making is that in a good round you can avoid them, with a bit of luck and good management.

But......limit them to one or two a round and your scores won't suffer too poorly. The key is not to turn 6s into 8s.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I beg your pardon?

You thought I was recommending double bogeys?

Do you think it's possible to suddenly decide never to have  a double bogey again?

The point I was making is that in a good round you can avoid them, with a bit of luck and good management.

But......limit them to one or two a round and your scores won't suffer too poorly. The key is not to turn 6s into 8s.

Yep,

What about Rory on number 10 at Augusta, took a triple

Or worse, didn't Kevin Na take a 16 or something that one time?

Seriously, big scores are going to happen. Though if you want to minimize them, go read Lowest Score Wins. The shot zones and decision maps will really help keep bad play to a minimum.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

If you are a single digit player, hitting a three wood off a tee is going to be more accurate than a drive imo.

Why not hit a 5 iron? That would be accurate as well ;-) Just kidding of course.

I'd rather be 140 yards out in the light rough than 160 yards in the fairway.

the strongest correlation to the distance your ball finishes from the hole is how far away it was before you hit it.

In other words, you're more likely to finish closer to the hole from 110 than you are from 130. From 30 rather than 70. From four feet (likely in the hole) than from five feet (less likely to hole the putt). Etc.

Originally Posted by Lastpick

One final thought for me to play well is grip pressure.  Keep a light grip pressure.

Off topic but:

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm a 5 and to me the most important thing is greens in regulation. This and good course management. I think simply getting the ball in play off the tee (vs distance) thus giving me the best chance to hit the green. Then I try to two-putt at worst. Practice chipping to save the pars. Also mark down on the score card if your approach shot was short, on, or long. This is a very telling thing as most golfers are short most of the time.

3 wood? I've laid up on tee shots with a 5 iron and hit them in the woods

Theres a course I only have played a few times that has a short par 4 with OB right and a pond on the left that starts at about 180 yards. The hole is only about 320 with a little dogleg left. The fairway isn't wide so the 1st  times I played there I hit a 4i (OB into the woods right). The 2nd time I hit  a 5i (pulled left into the water).  Needless to say I was pretty pissed.  The last time I played there I said %#ck it and just took a nice smooth swing with my driver (straight). I ended up right at the end of the dogleg in the fairway with about 40-50 yards to the green.  There is nothing more frustrating then thinking your making the smart play and F ing it up.

Tough crowd. I did say that when the driver has deserted you, hit the three wood.  When I say the driver has deserted you, I mean it has joined the other team.  Of course I would rather hit two clubs less from the light rough.  As far as grip pressure, tension is a tempo killer.  Grip pressure is vitally important to be aware of when putting.  These are only my opinion.

As far as getting to single digits with a double bogey it is possible, but the single digit players in our crowd seldom have a double.  I also think that one needs to practice getting up and down from around the green.  It is important to get a par putt of about five feet.

Maybe you know why I am lastpick

e, but the single digit players in our crowd seldom have a double.

Yet touring pros can't always avoid them. They should be rare, but you can't just decide not to have them.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

My biggest obstacle is decision making on the course.  I play with plenty of single digit players who don't have more ability than I but they rarely do anything stupid.  I'm good at doing stupid stuff.  I tend to address the ball, know something is wrong, and swing anyway.  Sometimes I swing only because I feel that the "shot clock" is ticking down and I've been there too long.  I'll use the wrong club because I'm too lazy to walk 30 yards back to my bag and get the one I need.

Randal

Note: This thread is 3323 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!