IGNORED

My Swing (DrvFrShow)

DrvFrShow
Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Without video its tough to say if what you think youre doing is what youre actually doing.-Feel aint real.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm just wondering if I need to simply get consistent at what is working instead of trying to change everything to be by the book?

Changing everything or starting from scratch isn't a good way to go about shooting lower scores. Identify your priority piece and make that better.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

There is a problem... No new video, but a description will suffice. As I said above, fixing the takeaway changed the angle of the swing plane. But there is something I don't know if I'm going to physically be able to do:

* have the left arm parallel to the shoulders.

Why? My left shoulder pops when I do that. I will end up with a case of shoulder bursitis and out of golf for the winter hoping that it heals in time for spring. If I force it I start dealing with a leak to the right which is what I was fighting in the beginning. Being tall my swing gets vertical and one little bit out, and I'm going outside in with an open face because my wrist tends to cup.

I can't go more than 2/3 back swing before the popping happens. This has cost me distance. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with what I was doing before other than the fact that it was causing my swing to bottom further back... i.e. I have to play the ball a bit further back in my stance than most people, even though I end up with my weight on my front foot.

The better takeaway has reduced the amount I'm hooking the ball.

I'm just wondering if I need to simply get consistent at what is working instead of trying to change everything to be by the book?

Being 66, and my right shoulder never properly healed from an ACL tear years ago, I don't even come close to a " full" back swing, that and my spine is twisted, and curved, and has arthritis to boot.

My distance has Greatly improved from taking lessons from Mike, and doing the drills. I have learned to focus my club head speed, to be at it's greatest when it gets near the ball. At my range they have Limited flight balls..Argh..but now and then you get some "normal" balls, and I have no problem hitting my 8i 150 yds, at sea level, with older more lofted clubs. Sure, the young guys can hit their 8i 10 to 20 yds further, so I work more on technique and to be Accurate. I wouldn't worry about distance, at least not for now. Good luck golfing.,

I'll try to get another video. I can't guarantee anything.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Changing everything or starting from scratch isn't a good way to go about shooting lower scores. Identify your priority piece and make that better.

There are two pieces: making solid contact and direction. I'm getting the direction thing down better - learning to play my natural draw. It's the solid contact that is giving me trouble. That's getting better with practice.

My coach isn't one for tearing everything down and starting from scratch. I'm just going to do the drills he gives me an let him deal with everything else. The guy has played on the tour and coaches at one of the colleges. Meanwhile I'll make sure I stay physically fit.

Julia

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to get a new video soon. There have been some pretty major changes. Coach made them for me. They helped quite a bit and took a lot of effort out of the swing. More wrist flex and balance work through the swing. Getting rid of the tendency to reverse pivot. That isn't easy. I made the change Tuesday, and i've hit a ton of balls since then. I'm getting the hang of it. Sometimes I can run streaks of 8 in a row great. Then there's a streak of 7 in a row awful - back to the mirror and refocus. It's usually because I'm standing too close or the ball position changed a little too forward or back. Or I forgot to lift my left heel a little and didn't rotate my hips enough. Just swing the club. When it comes together the finish is beautiful and relaxed.

Still working contact drills, but not as much. Working half and full swing more. I've been working the PW, 8, and 7. I'm switching to 9, 8, 7 today because the flag I'm shooting for at the range is 9 iron distance - 125. That's my target. I'm trying to narrow the shot spray, and that happens when I'm not forcing anything.

Swing speed? I don't even care about that right now. I'll worry about that when I get the fundamental parts of the swing working together in harmony.

Julia

Spoiler

My project had a set back. I got a forearm injury. Tendons in my right arm. Hit a thin shot last Saturday and it didn't feel right. Hit another, and I missed it. Hit another solid, but it hurt like hell. Quit. Haven't hit a ball since. Nothing popped. I'm just prone to tendonitis. It's the new swing motion I was changed to Tuesday. It puts my forearm in a position where I'm rotating the club head more during the swing. Timing has to be right on it when I'm hitting full. I think I may need a style with less movement. Jim McLean mentioned one on a vid and it's similar to what I was doing, but with the corrections Mike mentioned.

Treating with advil and ice, and heat and rest now.

Julia

Spoiler

My project had a set back. I got a forearm injury. Tendons in my right arm. Hit a thin shot last Saturday and it didn't feel right. Hit another, and I missed it. Hit another solid, but it hurt like hell. Quit. Haven't hit a ball since. Nothing popped. I'm just prone to tendonitis. It's the new swing motion I was changed to Tuesday. It puts my forearm in a position where I'm rotating the club head more during the swing. Timing has to be right on it when I'm hitting full. I think I may need a style with less movement. Jim McLean mentioned one on a vid and it's similar to what I was doing, but with the corrections Mike mentioned.

Treating with advil and ice, and heat and rest now.

If I am not on a decent lie I can hit really fat, and it partially strains the muscles. To speed up the healing process, I rubbed icy hot deep into my forearm. Try to poke your knuckle in between the Ulna and Radius. Push deep to massage those muscles. It hurts a lot, but helps the muscles heal a little faster.

Rest. I was dumb trying to still play the last two months. Really wish I had not purchased my monthly pass then injured myself a couple days after renewing. Then the next month it was starting to heal, but then I strained the muscles again lifting some stuff at work., of course, a week into renewing again. :-X

At this point, I am taking 3 weeks off of golf through the holidays. Maybe play a short course in San Jose with only my 6i or something like that.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 2 weeks later...

Well injury-free for me is a joke. Injury management at my age is more like it. I've been approaching practice like I do on the piano. I cannot put sticks in the concrete at the range. It doesn't work well so I have to work with what I have available, and that is mirrors when those stalls are available.

* I've had problems with a tendency toward a reverse pivot. I've spent time each session working on proper pivoting.

* I had a takeaway breakdown, so I spent time each session, working on an exercise doing that properly. I also have a rotator cuff issue in my left shoulder that won't get fixed under my medical coverage unless I tear it, so I have to make a compensation. We found one that worked. So I've been practicing with that.

* Mike told me to play the ball more forward. So I've been doing that. You'll see an alignment stick station down in the videos. The ball is forward of the center-line stick.

* Mike also told me that my left arm at the top of my back swing was too low.

I've worked on those things since the last vids. I see some good things. However, I notice in these vids that something else cropped up. I'm moving my head laterally on my full swing. It hasn't seemed to adversely affect contact, ball direction, or distance. But it is something to work on. It only shows up in full swings. The half to 3/4 swing videos prove this. Ironically I hit these just as far, and prefer the lower trajectory over the much higher trajectory of the full shot.

I apologize for the metal bar in the vids front view. I'll move the mat back next time.

Here's the link to the first page with the first vids

And here are the new vids. Full 8-iron 135 to 140 yds.

Half to 3/4 8 iron about 135 yds carry:

Julia

Spoiler

• Administrator

Julia,

See the above, and watch this:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@DrvFrShow

I would add to Erik's comment to look at your hip movement.  Your hips are moving back significantly on the backswing.  Check out Mike's video below.  This could contribute to what Erik commented on.  You shift back even on the half 8 iron swings.

BTW, you do have a lot of power in your swing.  Tightening up the hip turn and downswing will give you much better contact and consistency.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

@DrvFrShow

I would add to Erik's comment to look at your hip movement.  Your hips are moving back significantly on the backswing.  Check out Mike's video below.  This could contribute to what Erik commented on.  You shift back even on the half 8 iron swings.

BTW, you do have a lot of power in your swing.  Tightening up the hip turn and downswing will give you much better contact and consistency.

Yeah I looked at the FO videos after, but I concur. Big hip slide, want to keep those pretty well centered too.

The Suzann Pettersen video of her swinging on the SwingCatalyst would be good too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A6 : I am trying to hit a little draw on these shots. I had a tendency to slice really bad when I started 2.7 yrs ago. And the inside to out swing path has been drummed into my head. Getting the left arm level with my shoulders has helped with not having the A6 position back further than it was in this picture. I wish I could figure out how to get the camera in 120 fps mode. It has one, and there's a frame missing that I think is the true A6 position, but that's going to have to wait until spring because it's just too dark up here because I know that is without HDR engaged. I go to the Verizon store for them to show me and they try to sell me a GoPro. Give me the money Verizon. You're rich. These clips were taken at 2 pm and the sun was behind the camera. You guys in So. Cal. think 4 pm light for our noon.

Hip slide : I'm not trying to argue here. How big is big?. I think it looks bigger than it is. I'm not going to get alarmed by it. This is better than the reverse pivot I was doing. I think it will resolve itself as I get more comfortable with the mechanics of the swing. Technique on an instrument tends to itself with challenges of playing more difficult pieces of music. It requires fine motor coordination and takes time to work out. I don't believe this is any different. There is a compensation involved on the back swing so that my left shoulder doesn't pop. The heel lift is a component of that. Medically, that cannot be fixed until it tears under my medical insurance.

So exactly how much of a slide? I think it looks bigger than it really is because of my left heel shifting the majority of the weight to my right leg since I have to rotate my entire torso on the takeaway to avoid that pop. The stationary object in the video of the second column made me take a second look. The yellow line is the vertical from the outside of my left foot, and from looking at the background, particularly the post directly behind it, it is leaning a couple degrees right of vertical. The pink line is my starting line. The white line is the degrees off the starting line. It's something to keep an eye on, and next time I go out I'll be more conscious about bracing on the inside of my right foot.

Bear in mind my body is a mess, and I have a bunch of nagging injuries that I've been managing for years. Knees, shoulders, arms. I think there are going to be compensations for stuff. I had to make compensations to play the piano so I don't see that this will be any different.

Julia

Spoiler

• Administrator
A6: I am trying to hit a little draw on these shots. I had a tendency to slice really bad when I started 2.7 yrs ago. And the inside to out swing path has been drummed into my head. Getting the left arm level with my shoulders has helped with not having the A6 position back further than it was in this picture. I wish I could figure out how to get the camera in 120 fps mode. It has one, and there's a frame missing that I think is the true A6 position, but that's going to have to wait until spring because it's just too dark up here because I know that is without HDR engaged. I go to the Verizon store for them to show me and they try to sell me a GoPro. Give me the money Verizon. You're rich. These clips were taken at 2 pm and the sun was behind the camera. You guys in So. Cal. think 4 pm light for our noon.

I think you may have missed the point of what I had posted there (if you are responding to me).

Your shaft is steep and then you're doing all sorts of things - making BIG compensations - to try to swing out to the right. A6 looks like a good position in your video… except that it's coming from a bad position.

Consider watching the video again and focusing on the part where we talk about the golfer who is "steep" and then attempts to shallow the club. It's the golfer on the right in both cases.

You're steep and then having to do a LOT of stuff - a lot of work - just to try to hit out at the ball. Look at your posture past the ball. Tell-tale sign right there.

Hip slide: I'm not trying to argue here. How big is big?

Pretty big. Not new golfer big, but… it's up there. If anything, the vast majority of golfers create a little space between that line you drew and their right hip, they don't cross the line.

Your body is your own of course and none of us know truly what the limitations and restrictions may be. I don't know (I suspect, but do not know) whether you could make a better backswing without requiring your knee to kick in like that… but as I said I suspect that's something you could do with your current physical shape and condition(s).

• 2 weeks later...

@DrvFrShow

Did you have a chance to read Erik's post?  If you want to hit push draws, a centered hip turn will definitely help.  Sliding your hips back will required even more shift in weight forward on the down swing.  You have a lot of physical ability as I see it in your videos. Changing the picture and making a centered hip turn will really help get you in the proper position from A4 through to impact.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@DrvFrShow

Did you have a chance to read Erik's post?  If you want to hit push draws, a centered hip turn will definitely help.  Sliding your hips back will required even more shift in weight forward on the down swing.

@DrvFrShow , check this out.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Hi Julia, first of all I think you can reach your goal of a 5 hdcp a lot sooner than you think once you get a few swing motions worked out, what sticks out to me the most is a lot of movement to the right side even with shorter irons, in reality and you can even watch the best players they basically cheat their weight on the left side throughout the swing through 8 iron usually, this will cause your backswing to be more short but you will still generate enough club head speed while increasing quality of impact.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

• 3 weeks later...

Jan 8 2014 - Both good news and bad news. First the good news.

1) I'm dedicating everything over the next few months to the centered hip turn/ centered pivot.

2) I have the 3baysGSA that gives me instant feedback on what is going on. I can watch a few key elements that tend to go haywire. One of these is my swing tempo, and when that goes off it leads to a bad hip turn, which leads to a thin hit. I put two and two together and watched this and felt the tempo.

I had an ah-ha moment just swinging the club back and forth in its natural pendulum. I was watching one of the pros practice and watching his tempo and movement in the stall in front of me. I got the feel of that movement, and the feel of the club at the top of the backswing and let gravity start the downswing, then put my body mechanics behind it, and got added distance and better ball flight, plus a 3:1 ratio as opposed to a 2.6:1 ratio. Now with my heavier wedges the "p" with the swing weight is more, so it takes longer for that gravity drop. It's a feel thing, but if I don't rush it, it pays off big time.

If I take the clubs back too quickly it throws my weight back on my right leg too much and pulls me off balance. So slowing my tempo down slightly is helping me maintain a centered hip turn. The pro watched and verified. I hit 16 good shots in a row without flaring one or hooking one, or thinning one or fat hitting one. That's my record.

Now the bad news:

Knee injury is acting up - Patellar tendonitis. Left knee. I started flaring my feet a bit and this started. Maybe I shouldn't flare my feet? Have patellar strap from several years ago. Yes I've had this before, and it's a pain in the ... knee. It takes forever to go away.

This whole plan of mine is based on remaining injury-free. However, that doesn't seem possible. I'm injury prone. In the 1980s: Motrin (Prescription) 400 mg - the breakfast of champions. 2014: Advil 400 mg gelcaps - the breakfast of champions.

Julia

Spoiler

Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!