IGNORED

How to Hit Partial Wedge Shots - Learn your Tweener Yardages

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok. I was referring more to the backswing length.

For a 3/4 pitching wedge, you're taking it back this far and hitting it 30 yards?

No, I was taking 1/2 to P2 and 3/4 to P3.

Doug

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

No, I was taking 1/2 to P2 and 3/4 to P3.

A2 is my 1/4 swing.

A3 is a bit longer than my 1/2 swing.

My 3/4 swing is when my shoulder is about to touch my chin or so.

My full swing is my full swing.

I have a hard time believing that you swing your PW to left arm parallel and hit the ball only 30 yards. I can throw a ball softly underhanded 30 yards.

I finish with what feel like "full" follow throughs though obviously if it's a 1/2 swing it's still gonna end up shorter than if it's a 3/4 or full swing. But my acceleration rate feels the same for the downswing… I just have less distance and time to accelerate. So the clubhead is going slower.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was thinking that my chipping around the green I take the shaft up to parallel to the ground at the most Up to p2 in morad position For longer pitch shots take my arm up to p3 in morad position Arm parallel to ground. How does that sound ?

A2 is my 1/4 swing.

A3 is a bit longer than my 1/2 swing.

My 3/4 swing is when my shoulder is about to touch my chin or so.

My full swing is my full swing.

I have a hard time believing that you swing your PW to left arm parallel and hit the ball only 30 yards. I can throw a ball softly underhanded 30 yards.

I finish with what feel like "full" follow throughs though obviously if it's a 1/2 swing it's still gonna end up shorter than if it's a 3/4 or full swing. But my acceleration rate feels the same for the downswing… I just have less distance and time to accelerate. So the clubhead is going slower.

Thanks @iacas I will give it another try tomorrow in a field near me. I did this first testing in my front yard so I probably took some

zip out of my swing for fear of neighborhood damage.

Doug

• 2 months later...

After mulling over this for the past year, I finally invested some time to figure out my distances.  I still haven't dialed them in as well as I would like, but they are getting close.  I can't get over just how effective this method is.  I no longer need to get the "feel" for a shot.  I get the distance, check the chart and use the appropriate swing/club.  It's so much easier to strike the ball cleanly and accurately when you are not taking a full swing.  I no longer get disappointed when I think I hit the right shot only to come up well short and long because my eyes, brain, and muscles haven't "felt" the right distance.

Randal

1 hour ago, bm85 said:

Anywhere I can go to get this A1-A2 information? Feel out of the loop when reading about positions.

Try looking in the Big List of Golf Terminology (about half way down, Positions or Alignments in the Golf Swing)

• Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
2 hours ago, bm85 said:

Anywhere I can go to get this A1-A2 information? Feel out of the loop when reading about positions.

Or, since I've made them acronyms, just hover your mouse over them.

A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6 A7 A8 A9 A10

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Or, since I've made them acronyms, just hover your mouse over them.

A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6 A7 A8 A9 A10

B-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Nifty 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have learned to control the distance on my wedge shots simply by how much back swing I apply. For instance, using my 56 degree wedge my back swing goes back to the 8 o'clock position which in turn is then followed through to the four o'clock position for a 20 yard pitch. This method works best when you apply the same amount of follow through to the shot as you did back swing. For further distances you can have your back swing go to the 9 o'clock or 10 o'clock position depending on the distance you want the ball to fly. A little practice will determine the amount of back swing you need to apply to various shots.

• 8 months later...
On 10/29/2014 at 11:34 AM, iacas said:

BTW, here are my wedges.

( @newtogolf will note that I have numbered my wedges 1, 2, and 3. Always have. )

796d7726_ScreenShot2014-10-29at4.31.50PM

I cut those into three strips and tape them beneath my grip on my wedges. To hit a shot, say, 70 yards, I first pick the trajectory I want (as every club can go that far), then based on these, grip down a little and/or make the appropriate length swing.

It's that simple.

I know this is old, but is there any rule that says you can't use these labels during tournament play? It would be a good idea for my 14 year old.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

7 hours ago, TN94z said:

I know this is old, but is there any rule that says you can't use these labels during tournament play? It would be a good idea for my 14 year old.

It's legal, you're not altering the club in any illegal way. Basically the same as having a book or piece of paper in your pocket to note your distances.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

It's legal, you're not altering the club in any illegal way. Basically the same as having a book or piece of paper in your pocket to note your distances.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• 3 years later...

Old thread here but bumping it because it is something that made a massive difference in my golf game. I wanted to get some input from people about an issue I've been having. When I'm trying to take a bit of yardage off one of my partial wedge shots (for ease, let's say a 3/4 swing is 75 yards and I need something between 65 or 70) I tend to try and just choke down on the grip a little bit and go for the same swing feel. My problem is that I tend to thin these shots. Sometimes I get away with it because I get more spin on the ball, so they fly a bit longer but check up almost immediately, but not always.

When you choke down, do you adjust the swing at all or is there something you do with ball position that might help (moving it back in the stance a nudge, standing even closer to the ball, etc)?

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

54 minutes ago, BC-to-MI said:

When you choke down, do you adjust the swing at all or is there something you do with ball position that might help (moving it back in the stance a nudge, standing even closer to the ball, etc)?

I count this shot as my 3/4 shot with a wedge. 

For the past several months, I haven't hit a 100% shot with my 7-iron on down, other than a few on the range as part of one of Erik's challenges.

Also, there's no obligation to use the wedge itself, by the way.  If I'm 65 yards out, I can flight a sand wedge ... or hit a half with my pitching wedge.  I do the latter.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Full GW= 110
Full SW= 100
Full LW= 90

Half GW= 80
Half SW= 70
Half LW= 60

After opening the face of the club.. and an out to in swing

Half GW= 50
Half SW= 40
Half LW= 30

Less than 30 yards it´s just feel. 

Note: This thread is 1580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!