IGNORED

How to Hit Partial Wedge Shots - Learn your Tweener Yardages

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

22 hours ago, BC-to-MI said:

Old thread here but bumping it because it is something that made a massive difference in my golf game. I wanted to get some input from people about an issue I've been having. When I'm trying to take a bit of yardage off one of my partial wedge shots (for ease, let's say a 3/4 swing is 75 yards and I need something between 65 or 70) I tend to try and just choke down on the grip a little bit and go for the same swing feel. My problem is that I tend to thin these shots. Sometimes I get away with it because I get more spin on the ball, so they fly a bit longer but check up almost immediately, but not always.

When you choke down, do you adjust the swing at all or is there something you do with ball position that might help (moving it back in the stance a nudge, standing even closer to the ball, etc)?

You want to swing at the same tempo and speed as your full swing, but just a shorter backswing and shorter follow through. You get better contact that way. As for position, I think it depends on the situation. If you are trying to flight it low, then move it back and 1/2 ball or more. For higher shots, I move it closer to my front heel.

Practice this at the range. You will see you can hit an 8 iron (an iron or wedge for that matter) high and low with partial shots. I used this for a 100 yard shot I had to keep low under tree branches. For a 100 yard shot, my go to is a 3/4 PW, but I used a 1/2 8 iron instead. 

I even use a 3/4 3 hybrid shot for more control in certain situations. You will be surprised how far it goes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been trying to work on this over the past week or two.  I used to be able to go by feel and get within 8-10 yards.  However, not really the case any more.  I've gained a little yardage with my driver recently giving me more wedges into greens where previously I was hitting full irons in, and now it is driving me nuts that I can't take advantage of scoring opportunities.  Not quite there yet on getting a repeatable feel for my 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 swings, but working on it.

John

• 4 months later...

I really struggle with what to hit from 30 to 70 yards. What feels like a quarter swing with my 60° wedge goes about 75-80 yards. Do i need a whole different technique for the shorter distances, like that quickie pitching technique from the other thread? Is that a lot slower feeling swing?

Any help appreciated?

14 minutes ago, Nail said:

I really struggle with what to hit from 30 to 70 yards.

That is my "nemesis" range.  I need to hit a GIR or a near GIR so I have a short chip.  Or lay up on a par 5 I can't reach in two to a distance of 75 yards (my 60 degree wedge).

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

That is my "nemesis" range.  I need to hit a GIR or a near GIR so I have a short chip.  Or lay up on a par 5 I can't reach in two to a distance of 75 yards (my 60 degree wedge).

Me too. If I'm closer than 70 yards I just tend to go by feel which is a bit of a gamble

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

2 hours ago, Nail said:

Me too. If I'm closer than 70 yards I just tend to go by feel which is a bit of a gamble

Do you guys ever try more of a bump and run from say 50 yards or so? Sometimes an 8 or even 7 iron can be great, assuming that the green isn't completely guarded in the front.

For me, my 53 degree is my go to club for any distance inside of 80 yards (80 yards being a full swing and sometimes I hit PW or 9 from there). No need to make things tougher with a weaker lofted wedge. Your strike has to be really good once you get over the 55 degree range or so, and adding variables can be tough on those clubs.

I would say that I do play my 53 by feel somewhat, but those short pitch shots are actually the only time I take a practice swing (besides sometimes with the putter). I guess I know where to stop in my backswing for these distances, but I don't really have it mapped out with the clock system or anything. My distance control is usually pretty good on these shots (for a hacker.....maybe 15 ft long or short, which I am completely ok with).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Do you guys ever try more of a bump and run from say 50 yards or so? Sometimes an 8 or even 7 iron can be great, assuming that the green isn't completely guarded in the front.

Not in our super soaked wet winters.  A bump and run becomes a bump and plop.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nail said:

I really struggle with what to hit from 30 to 70 yards. What feels like a quarter swing with my 60° wedge goes about 75-80 yards. Do i need a whole different technique for the shorter distances, like that quickie pitching technique from the other thread? Is that a lot slower feeling swing?

Any help appreciated?

Nail, your 60 degree goes 75 yards at a quarter swing?  You surely may be thinking about this entire technique wrong because that is a very big distance for a quarter swing with that club.  I wonder if you followed the advice in Mvmac's OP.  I certainly did.  In fact I am still investigating my distances, and it has already shaved probably 2 strokes off my game.  This has been the simplest, least labor-intensive lesson I have received to date. Some details that are not universally obvious:

1. Never intentionally swing slowly.  To achieve a shorter trajectory only reduce the length of the backswing.

2. The 30-70 yard distance is commonly considered to be a mystery.

3. Note that there is a slightly different release at the end of the downswing that I recommend.  It's in the OP of the thread.

4. The whole point of flighting the wedges in this way is to avoid having to use clubs like the evil 60 degree unless there is a specific need.  Here's the plan I have discovered:

For the swing that feels like 2/3 swing...

8I goes 110 yards

9I goes 95

PW goes 75-80

GW goes about 60

SW goes 50 or so, but I rarely hit this because...

PW 1/3 goes 50

GW 1/3 goes 40

Inside of that I am either chipping or hitting a SW over a trap or hill

Just give it a single visit to the range to find your own distances, and then double check them on your next round.  It is worth the effort.  You have got this.

13 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Nail, your 60 degree goes 75 yards at a quarter swing?  You surely may be thinking about this entire technique wrong because that is a very big distance for a quarter swing with that club.  I wonder if you followed the advice in Mvmac's OP.  I certainly did.  In fact I am still investigating my distances, and it has already shaved probably 2 strokes off my game.  This has been the simplest, least labor-intensive lesson I have received to date. Some details that are not universally obvious:

1. Never intentionally swing slowly.  To achieve a shorter trajectory only reduce the length of the backswing.

2. The 30-70 yard distance is commonly considered to be a mystery.

3. Note that there is a slightly different release at the end of the downswing that I recommend.  It's in the OP of the thread.

4. The whole point of flighting the wedges in this way is to avoid having to use clubs like the evil 60 degree unless there is a specific need.  Here's the plan I have discovered:

For the swing that feels like 2/3 swing...

8I goes 110 yards

9I goes 95

PW goes 75-80

GW goes about 60

SW goes 50 or so, but I rarely hit this because...

PW 1/3 goes 50

GW 1/3 goes 40

Inside of that I am either chipping or hitting a SW over a trap or hill

Just give it a single visit to the range to find your own distances, and then double check them on your next round.  It is worth the effort.  You have got this.

Yes when I say a quarter swing I mean it’s less than a half swing or 9.00 swing, it’s like 8.00 maybe.
I feel like it goes back as far as what Mvmac called a quarter swing. The half swing with the 60* goes 80 yards so it’s a touch less than that.
I wouldn’t be comfortable swinging any less back than that but this is a shortened version of my full swing. 
I messed around at the course today with the quickie pitching technique from the other thread and it is completely different type of stroke than my shortened full swing, much more gravity involved but it was good and I don’t have it down by any means but I was only 30 feet out at the most everytime I tried it. 

Note: This thread is 1554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!