IGNORED

Fred Couples on Tom Watson, the Ryder Cup and the PGA Task Force

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarawayFairways

You're obviously not understanding it

The genesis of the idea (a team sitting out every two years) has seriously been put forward by an American, as a solution to a perceived problem. That problem being the increasingly one sided nature of these matches. By any reasonable definition, Europe are therefore being successful, and by association, America unsuccessful? Havign established this we also need to recognise that now and then America will win, in which case Europe will get penalised for a probelm that has its roots in their success. Europe shouldn't have to lower themsleves to American standards. The onus is clearly on America (who have plenty of active golfers) to raise their game. Can you not see this?

Quite apart from anything else, these games are scheduled years in advance

2016 Hazeltine

2018 Le Golf National

2020 Whistling Straits

2022 TBC

2024 Bethpage Black

How would you feel if you had the responsibility for marketing and selling tickets for a match between Europe and the Rest of the World to be played at Whistling Straits? D'you reckon the American networks would be crawling all over you for the rights to a tournament where the only Americans on show will be those selling beer to the crowd? Do you think Americans would turn up to watch. You'd likely get landed with hefty damages suit from Whistling Straits apart from anything else. Count yourself lucky that the players aren't being asked to be paid as the chances are you'd lose money on the venture

It's frankly a daft idea.

I didn't say I liked the idea. I don't. I still think it's a stretch to consider it a penalty for success. it's a new format under which all three entities play under the same rules and the only penalty incurred is is incurred for losing. Your "its roots" statement is ridiculous. The rest of your reasoning as to why its a bad idea is perfectly sound.

For guys who are supposed to be as motivated and competitive as the PGA Tour players, I should think that the simple fact of losing would be penalty enough without adding more punishment to it.  If not then there is something missing here.  I still feel that part of the problem is that they are too fat with success and the rich paydays for simply being average on tour these days.  That has restricted the flow of their competitive juices, and for whatever reason, it has had a bigger effect on the Americans on Tour that it has on the Europeans who play right beside them most of the year.

If they are tired of having to play the matches every hear, then the Tour needs to drop the President's cup, period.  Then figure a way to equitably divvy the international players to both sides.  Or extend the Ryder Cup to a week long 3 way competition, but nobody has to sit out.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!