IGNORED

My Swing (AbsoluteTruths)

AbsoluteTruths
Note: This thread is 1140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking better. Just be careful not to have the head move towards the target when doing this drill. It looks fine for now but wanted to point it out. I'd rather have the head move slightly back than forward. Keep focusing on turning your torso more, "point" your sternum behind you. Nice work with the hips as well.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I videoed myself practicing my back swing and I found that my head was moving backwards. So I set up a Steady Head training aid at work.

It is a yardstick taped to a large hand truck.

Nice work, I remember doing the exact same thing a couple years ago, broomstick gaffer taped to a book shelf, lol. It's nice to see someone actually working on specific motions and drills instead of just endless videos of people making full swings.

What I did was slightly different as I positioned the stick on the target side of my head, but either way, nice to see someone listening to the advice they're getting instead of trying to win a prize for Most Obstinate.

I think if you can fix your rotational issues on the backswing you'll see some really cool improvements. Keep working on whatever Mike throws at you.

:beer:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I videoed myself practicing my back swing and I found that my head was moving backwards. So I set up a Steady Head training aid at work.

It is a yardstick taped to a large hand truck.

Nice!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Played golf today. Shot a 109. I did not expect to shot a good score since I am in the first steps of totally revamping my swing.

Highlight was a drive on a short par 4 that I striped right down the middle and it rolled to the edge of the green BIRDIE!

Several well struck drives and iron shots.

Lowlights. I did good getting into a full back swing but 90 pct of the bad shot came from me leaning back on the downswing.

Not transfering my weight. It was a course that I had only played once before and one of the 9's I had never played before.

But that is no excuse when I dig a trench under the ball with my iron or slice my drive into the trees :doh:

Doug

Analyzr is for Mac, so if you don't have a Mac, here's a program for Windows Systems.... http://www.analysisprogram.com/index.htm

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Analyzr is for Mac, so if you don't have a Mac, here's a program for Windows Systems.... [URL=http://www.analysisprogram.com/index.htm]http://www.analysisprogram.com/index.htm[/URL]

did you post this in the wrong thread?

Doug

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrvFrShow

Analyzr is for Mac, so if you don't have a Mac, here's a program for Windows Systems.... http://www.analysisprogram.com/index.htm

did you post this in the wrong thread?

Good information though. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Looking better. Just be careful not to have the head move towards the target when doing this drill. It looks fine for now but wanted to point it out. I'd rather have the head move slightly back than forward. Keep focusing on turning your torso more, "point" your sternum behind you. Nice work with the hips as well. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/109802/] [/URL]

I had the guide on the right side of my head because when I watched myself my head was moving back a lot in the back swing. Am I turning wrong or am I not tuning enough? I do not seem to be able to turn my chest much further. I can turn back further if I do the drill with the club held across my shoulders but because of the way I am shaped when I put my hands on the club my shoulders move forward.

Doug

Am I turning wrong or am I not tuning enough?

I do not seem to be able to turn my chest much further. I can turn back further if I do the drill with the club held across my shoulders

but because of the way I am shaped when I put my hands on the club my shoulders move forward.

The goal for you is to just turn as much as you can. I'd experiment with moving the right foot back slightly (stance will be more "closed") and see if that gives you some more rotation. Obviously make sure the right foot is turned out as well.

Mike McLoughlin

Mike,

Would this  be a good drill for me? And what is Pressure point #1?

Yep for sure. Hold the top of the backswing position for 5 seconds and then try to turn that far back when you hit a ball.

Pressure Point #1 is t he lifeline of the right hand where it touches either the left hand (usually near the very base knuckle of the left thumb) or where it touches the grip on the club.

Mike McLoughlin

I noticed when practicing my backswing that sometimes I feel the weight staying on my left foot. I noticed that I was straightening my right leg and pushing my right hip back. When I concentrated on the weight moving to my right foot in the backswing I noticed that I was maintaining some right knee flex.

I think this might have been one of the causes of me staying on my right foot during my downswing. Thoughts please.

Doug

I noticed when practicing my backswing that sometimes I feel the weight staying on my left foot. I noticed that I was straightening my right leg and pushing my right hip back.

It may feel that way as you "free up" your hip turn but it's probably not happening.

When I concentrated on the weight moving to my right foot in the backswing I noticed that I was maintaining some right knee flex.

I think this might have been one of the causes of me staying on my right foot during my downswing. Thoughts please.

There should still be some flex in that right leg on the backswing, it just lessens in flex, it doesn't completely straighten.

Mike McLoughlin

It may feel that way as you "free up" your hip turn but it's probably not happening.

There should still be some flex in that right leg on the backswing, it just lessens in flex, it doesn't completely straighten.

I saw my right leg straightening in a mirror. I watched the videos and I should have weight moving to the right foot in the backswing. So it looks like my thoughts were correct. Right?

Doug

I saw my right leg straightening in a mirror. I watched the videos and I should have weight moving to the right foot in the backswing. So it looks like my thoughts were correct. Right?

What the video shows is that throughout the backswing the weight will tend to remain relatively stable or shift back slightly as the arms and chest turn back. During the backswing the trail knee and hip decrease flex and the lead knee and hip increase flex. Decreasing flex pushes against the ground, while increasing flex reduces pressure against the ground. This means that a player that makes a centered pivot will have about 65% of their pressure on the trail foot at A4, weight will be closer to 50/50.

Mike McLoughlin

What the video shows is that throughout the backswing the weight will tend to remain relatively stable or shift back slightly as the arms and chest turn back. During the backswing the trail knee and hip decrease flex and the lead knee and hip increase flex. Decreasing flex pushes against the ground, while increasing flex reduces pressure against the ground. This means that a player that makes a centered pivot will have about 65% of their pressure on the trail foot at A4, weight will be closer to 50/50.

It looks like you are saying there is a difference between weight and pressure. I think I know what you mean because I was looking at the thread .

So I think I was using the wrong terminology. When I do not straighten the right knee in the backswing but rather just lessen the flex I feel more pressure in my right foot. I was wondering about that because in the mirror I did not slide back but I still felt more pressure under my right foot but was still making a centered turn.

Sorry if this is off topic.

Doug

• Administrator

Sorry if this is off topic.

It's your swing thread, so we pretty much let the "owner" talk about whatever they want (to a point).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!