IGNORED

My Swing (AbsoluteTruths)

AbsoluteTruths
Note: This thread is 1113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Went to the range yesterday. I am getting much better at ball contact. Much less fat shots. And when I did make a mistake I pretty much

knew what I did wrong and tried to correct it. The steady head is working. One of my major problems is/was my head and my hips

moving back in the backswing.

I took several videos. This time I reviewed them while I was at the range so that I could make adjustments right away.

In the past I had reviewed when I got home. I will post some when I get through editing.

In the past I posted the videos that I thought were the best. I was thinking that maybe I should post the worst. What are your thought on that?

LSW book should arrive Friday. I am excited to learn how to practice correctly.

Doug

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In the past I posted the videos that I thought were the best. I was thinking that maybe I should post the worst. What are your thought on that?

Post up a good swing, not necessarily a good shot, but a swing where you felt that you did your pieces well.

LSW book should arrive Friday. I am excited to learn how to practice correctly.

Nice! You'll enjoy it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Here are some swings from the range. I should have reread Mike's post before editing the videos. He said post the videos

of my good swings and not necessarily my good shots. But I am posting the good shots. I will have to go back over all the

videos tomorrow and find the ones that I am doing my pieces correctly. All of these resulted in good ball flights.

Doug

Better! Definitely more rotation. Keep working on it and get those hips a little further forward at address.

Mike McLoughlin

Mike, What would you say are my pieces that I need to work on with the 5 S's?

Sorry I am a little dense and probably should have picked this up from your previous posts. But I am someone who needs to be told specific

instructions.

Doug

Mike, What would you say are my pieces that I need to work on with the 5 S's?

3 things come to mind.

- Hips more forward at address.

-Turning your torso more, "pointing" your sternum behind you.

- Making sure your left knee moves inward as it gains flex.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks

3 things come to mind.

Thanks. I will work on those.  I have seen two things in my swing videos that do not look right and wanted to know if I should address those now.

First I start cocking my wrists at the very beginning of my backswing.

Second my left arm is almost always bent at impact. It looks like the same bit of bend I have at the top of my backswing.

Doug

Went to the range today. Worked on my pieces. Found that I was hitting the ball high on my driver face. Lower the height I teed the ball to correct.

By the end of the full swing practice I was hitting my drives straight and long. I slowed down my backswing and concentrated on a blade of grass

behind the ball.

Not all was good with the full swing. Hitting behind the ball is my biggest problem.

Practiced some 20 yard pitches and 8-12 foot putts. Overall I fell really good with my progress. I am going to play next Monday and Tuesday.

I have a lot more confidence now.

Daily practice at home continues.

Doug

• Administrator

Went to the range today. Worked on my pieces. Found that I was hitting the ball high on my driver face. Lower the height I teed the ball to correct.

I'd caution you against doing that. Often hitting the ball high on the face is a result of hitting down. Lowering the tee is a "quick fix" and encourages you to hit down more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd caution you against doing that. Often hitting the ball high on the face is a result of hitting down. Lowering the tee is a "quick fix" and encourages you to hit down more. How do I know if I am hitting down on the ball and how do I fix it?

How do I know if I am hitting down and how do I fix it if I am?

Doug

• Administrator

How do I know if I am hitting down and how do I fix it if I am?

I suppose the answer is that you hit on a FlightScope or TrackMan or something and see whether you are, but generally speaking, if you're hitting the driver high on the face you're more likely to be hitting down slightly. If your head goes forward during the downswing, you're also more likely to be hitting down.

Refer to the sections in LSW that talk about this, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Went to a field today to get the yardages on my wedges. I could not hit a good shot. Fatted almost every shot. Ugh!

Had my wife take a cell video and I found that I was squatting instead of turning in my downswing and

I was also flipping the club.

I have been practicing my swing at home every day. I also read LSW all the way through and am rereading the beginning.

I also watched a lot of Key 1,2, and 3 videos. I think I am overloaded with info.

I am just going to practice the basics to get ready for Monday and Tuesday. I am playing both days.

Doug

I have been practicing my swing at home every day. I also read LSW all the way through and am rereading the beginning.

I also watched a lot of Key 1,2, and 3 videos. I think I am overloaded with info.

It's hard to change a lot of things all at once. It's best to focus on your priority piece and work on that:

3 things come to mind.

You may find these threads relevant:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Thanks @billchao for suggesting those threads. I really need to change the picture.

I have been working on my pieces which are the proper setup and getting a full backswing.

The problems that have developed from this is a lot of fat shot. I am making a deeper turn into

the backswing than I ever have. I feel like I am sensing being in the backswing so long

that my mind says "I have to get back to the ball" So I take the shortest path and

squat and flip at the ball.

Doug

Shot a 97 today. Had fun. Striking the ball much better. A string of triple bogies on 14, 15, 16 kept me from tying or beating my best score(91).

My driving really improved. Hit about 80% of the fairways and had a couple 220-230 yard drives. I know that steady head is one of

the main reasons for improvement. Weight forward is still inconsistent. I hit a lot fewer fat shots.

What I am having a lot of problems with(always have) are the short chips and pitches around the green.  I fat them. It feels like I am

either trying help the ball up or lifting my head just as I hit the ball.

Doug

I forgot to mention. All my shots now have a draw/hook tendency as opposed to my previous slice/fade tendency. I was

getting too much hook on my long irons and hybrid.

Doug

What I am having a lot of problems with(always have) are the short chips and pitches around the green.  I fat them. It feels like I am

either trying help the ball up or lifting my head just as I hit the ball.

Check this out in case you haven't already.

Mike McLoughlin

Played today on a different harder course. Shot a 99. The score does not reflect how much better I am striking the ball. My driving

which was really bad has improved dramatically. I consider myself a 90's golfer now instead of my previous 100's golfer.

I checked out the last night and practiced it a little before my round this morning.

I used the technique on the course in kind of a hybrid with my old way of pitching. It worked pretty well except for the one

I stubbed the club into the ground and the one I hit thin out of the greenside bunker :-) . I know this will that a lot more practice.

Thanks Mike, Erik, and all of you who have commented on my thread. It really is working.  I think I need to start working

on weight forward more.

Doug

Note: This thread is 1113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!