IGNORED

The "Ball Under a Foot of Water" Challenge

MS256
Note: This thread is 3343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You know, of course, that this sparks the next challenge. How far can you hit a ball off a cow pie!

Cow pies are similar to a sand trap. It's just a bit squishier, so like soft sand. I used to use some old golf clubs and play out in the pasture.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
@MS256 are you okay?-I have to assume something horrible happened with your family or you or something because youd id not strike me as the type to shrink away from a friendly challenge where you dont even lose anything but stand to win a few hundred bucks and the respect and admiration of all who have posted here.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

@MS256 are you okay?-I have to assume something horrible happened with your family or you or something because youd id not strike me as the type to shrink away from a friendly challenge where you dont even lose anything but stand to win a few hundred bucks and the respect and admiration of all who have posted here.

He is taking swimming lessons first, just to be safe.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have no dog in this race, but I do have a lake near by, and I figured what the heck. I gave it a try.

The first problem was finding a spot where I could get a good footing. I found an area with some gravel, over bed rock. The second important issue was to make sure no one else could see me. Also, not wanting to damage my gamers while possibly hitting a hidden rock, I used a 42* (?) Cleveland Golf Niblick I had laying around. I also used a very bright yellow ball for better, underwater visibility.  After some visual experimenting to see where the ball actually was when under water, and some "wet" swings into the water. I gave it a shot.

In one foot of water, after 25 swings, I could not get the ball out on to the bank. Although the ball moved, I am not even sure I actually hit the ball. In 6 inches of water I put the ball on the bank 8 times in 25 swings. In 3 inches of water I put the ball on the beach 20 times out of 25 swings. With the ball just barely under water I put in on the beach every time.

Of course once I was done, I was thoroughly soaked. Water temp was in the mid 60s, as was the air temp. I was a bit chilled.  I am not going to say in one foot of water, getting the ball out can't be done. I just know I can't do it. I am pretty sure I would get another hole in one before I could put the ball on the beach.

On a side note. I read something above about cow pies. We have range cows out here. Off a dried out paddy, I could hit the ball 135 yards using that Niblick. I made sure to hit the ball very "thin".

After all of this experimentation, I have decided my retirement has adversely affected my mental well being, and I have decided to change my current brand of beer to something much cheaper. :doh:

• Upvote 5

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have no dog in this race, but I do have a lake near by, and I figured what the heck. I gave it a try.

The first problem was finding a spot where I could get a good footing. I found an area with some gravel, over bed rock. The second important issue was to make sure no one else could see me. Also, not wanting to damage my gamers while possibly hitting a hidden rock, I used a 42* (?) Cleveland Golf Niblick I had laying around. I also used a very bright yellow ball for better, underwater visibility.  After some visual experimenting to see where the ball actually was when under water, and some "wet" swings into the water. I gave it a shot.

In one foot of water, after 25 swings, I could not get the ball out on to the bank. Although the ball moved, I am not even sure I actually hit the ball. In 6 inches of water I put the ball on the bank 8 times in 25 swings. In 3 inches of water I put the ball on the beach 20 times out of 25 swings. With the ball just barely under water I put in on the beach every time.

Of course once I was done, I was thoroughly soaked. Water temp was in the mid 60s, as was the air temp. I was a bit chilled.  I am not going to say in one foot of water, getting the ball out can't be done. I just know I can't do it. I am pretty sure I would get another hole in one before I could the ball on the beach.

On a side note. I read something above about cow pies. We have range cows out here. Off a dried out paddy, I could hit the ball 135 yards using that Niblick.

After all of this experimentation, I have decided my retirement has adversely affected my mental well being, and I have decided change my current brand of beer to something much cheaper.

See, now that IS interesting. If @MS256 was mistaken about the depth, then we can assume that he is honest yet mistaken.

But then again:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakester23

It was probably like 2 inches under water objects always look bigger under water. See all the fish I've caught especially ice fishing over thin clear ice. If it was fully submerged it impresses the hell out of me nice job.

That theory is out. I carried around a tape measure on my belt for 36 years on the job and I'm pretty good at estimating distances.

The only two options are that I'm lying or it happened.

Funny thing is that I won't even say how far I hit a golf ball on the internet so nobody will think I'm lying but I slipped up here.

Should have just waited until next summer and tried it again.

PS: It would have been awesome-r if you had recorded your attempts and posted them for our communal mirth.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

PS: It would have been awesome-r if you had recorded your attempts and posted them for our communal mirth.

I agree. We need more communal mirth. With video many would have given thanks to you tomorrow for the mirth you brought to their lives… :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I agree. We need more communal mirth. With video many would have given thanks to you tomorrow for the mirth you brought to their lives… :D

Yeah, this thread had/has such potential to be a mirthful, giggly, splish-splashy funland, but sadly it did not turn out that way. Booooooo.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

And 2 CAD! Seriously @Patch , if you were willing to get soaking wet and cold for it, you might has well have set up a camera and made $1.78 ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

And 2 CAD! Seriously @Patch, if you were willing to get soaking wet and cold for it, you might has well have set up a camera and made $1.78

Yep, that's still on the table. I'll even send you 'Merican money.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Hate to post this because nobody will believe it but who gives a crap. Can't say for sure it was a foot deep because I didn't measure it but it was close to that.

I was going to try the shot and my son basically told me I was an idiot so I decided to take a drop.

After we were done with the hole I couldn't resist trying the shot and I got it on the green. I don't know if it was a 1 out of 1001 luck shot but I would say it wasn't far off of that.

I told my son "See I could have done it" and he just shook his head and walked off.

You were correct.......LOL   There is not a chance in hell that water was anywhere close 1ft deep.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

First things first:  I do not want your money!  That said, I accept the challenge. :-P Got out of work early today and had a couple of hours of light left, so ... figured lets have some fun.  Using last years kiddie pool, I was able to get it filled to just under 9" of water.  The first video is two attempts swinging kind of how I'd imagine would be required, ball a little back of center, a little steep with the swing.  Second video is ball off my back foot and a really steep swing.  Last two videos are just a couple of throws of a ball into the pool (on request.) ;-) Anyways ... enjoy:

Just awesome.

Great stuff @Golfingdad , thanks for posting!

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awesome indeed. @Golfingdad just became Member of the Ages .

Dude, I almost pissed myself laughing at the first attempt. Thank you for that.

You Sir, did INDEED work in an apple pie factory and you were Employee of the Month!! Respect. B-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Very good @Golfing Dad ....

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Crazy, just crazy.  That is just about the best I would expect.   Love to see Rory or someone try it, just for grins.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

"Come watch Daddy be silly", great stuff Drew!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!