IGNORED

The "Ball Under a Foot of Water" Challenge

MS256
Note: This thread is 3317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I imagine that must've hurt with the pool on top of concrete (especially hearing "I think I hit the ground" after the first shot!).

Congratulations though, on a nearly successful attempt. It's just warming up in Colorado, but it looks as though I missed my chance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I imagine that must've hurt with the pool on top of concrete (especially hearing "I think I hit the ground" after the first shot!).

It improved his chances, though, as rather than absorbing any force directed downward as a muddy bottom would do, it reflected it back upward.

And he still basically didn't move the ball at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It improved his chances, though, as rather than absorbing any force directed downward as a muddy bottom would do, it reflected it back upward.

And he still basically didn't move the ball at all.

Yeah, but that poor golf club. I hope it was an old wedge.

Yeah, but that poor golf club. I hope it was an old wedge.

Forgot to mention that: it was a 60* Cleveland RTG from my old set of clubs (late '90's) It didn't hurt me and I'm not actually sure if I hurt the club or not, there are so many nicks. Have no idea if any are from today:

First things first:  I do not want your money!  That said, I accept the challenge.

Got out of work early today and had a couple of hours of light left, so ... figured lets have some fun.  Using last years kiddie pool, I was able to get it filled to just under 9" of water.  The first video is two attempts swinging kind of how I'd imagine would be required, ball a little back of center, a little steep with the swing.  Second video is ball off my back foot and a really steep swing.  Last two videos are just a couple of throws of a ball into the pool (on request.)

Anyways ... enjoy:

Great stuff, just like I thought the current you cause having to go so deep in the water causes the ball to move just enough for the club to basically miss the ball from any part that would either hit the ball or lift it out of the water, at that depth I think someone has to make a guess on where the ball will go once the water being pushed at it moves it.

• Upvote 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

The club head was probably going about 1/2mph by the time it made it to the bottom.

Are you sure you don't want the $2 @Golfingdad ?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awesome indeed. @Golfingdad just became Member of the Ages.

Dude, I almost pissed myself laughing at the first attempt. Thank you for that.

You Sir, did INDEED work in an apple pie factory and you were Employee of the Month!! Respect.

I second this!!!!!!! :dance::beer:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Awesome indeed. @Golfingdad just became Member of the Ages.

Dude, I almost pissed myself laughing at the first attempt. Thank you for that.

You Sir, did INDEED work in an apple pie factory and you were Employee of the Month!! Respect.

I second this!!!!!!!

@iacas , I think Barney should get some kind of badge or honorary title to celebrate his awesomeness. Maybe an "Awesome Possum" badge?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Thanks for sharing. Maybe you Californians, with your sunny, warm weather aren't so bad after all... :-D

I was gonna go to the boathouse in Central Park where people play with their little remote control boats (very shallow pond) and try this, probably get arrested. :-P

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

@iacas , I think Barney should get some kind of badge or honorary title to celebrate his awesomeness. Maybe an "Awesome Possum" badge?

I think if Barney gets more badges he'll break the Internet.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I believe it was Erik who said something like ... "Wives love to watch their husbands do stupid things."

I'm just really jealous you can be outside in shorts and a tee shirt standing in a pool of water.  I was concerned the club with tear the bottom of the pool.  BTW, thanks for proving to my wife there are people even more obsessed with golf than I am.

Joe Paradiso

I'm just really jealous you can be outside in shorts and a tee shirt standing in a pool of water.  I was concerned the club with tear the bottom of the pool.  BTW, thanks for proving to my wife there are people even more obsessed with golf than I am.

Ha, your welcome! I actually thought it may have torn the bottom too - it left a couple good marks - but I don't think it did cuz it took FOREVER to empty the pool. (First thanksgiving since 2005 that were not in NYC)

Ha, your welcome! I actually thought it may have torn the bottom too - it left a couple good marks - but I don't think it did cuz it took FOREVER to empty the pool.

(First thanksgiving since 2005 that were not in NYC)

Joe Paradiso

[quote name="mvmac" url="/t/78113/the-ball-under-a-foot-of-water-challenge/120#post_1079614"]"Come watch Daddy be silly", great stuff Drew!

I believe it was Erik who said something like ... "Wives love to watch their husbands do stupid things."[/quote]LOL those kids loved it!

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Last time I tried hitting a ball from water, I took a 15.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Hilarious! Great job Drew! :dance:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Closing in on three weeks of self-imposed exile.

Quote:
2 weeks, 6 days ago

C'mon @MS256 , time to come back to the sand box.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 3317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!