IGNORED

The "Ball Under a Foot of Water" Challenge

MS256
Note: This thread is 3339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would like to see anyone that has ever had a hole in one, video tape themselves repeating their hole in one.  I will put up $100 and give them 100 tries.

Of course if they are not able to repeat it, they were lying to start with and it never happened. Think some may have been a little hard on MS256.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Think some may have been a little hard on MS256.

Agree. I think it's possible to do (albeit low odds like a hole in one), but not without incurring a stroke penalty for scooping the ball out.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree. I think it's possible to do (albeit low odds like a hole in one), but not without incurring a 2 stroke penalty for scooping the ball out.

I mean gees, it's not like he said he drove a golf ball 300 yrds :-P

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/78113/the-ball-under-a-foot-of-water-challenge/144#post_1081492"] Agree. I think it's possible to do (albeit low odds like a hole in one), but not without incurring a stroke penalty for scooping the ball out.[/QUOTE] I mean gees, it's not like he said he drove a golf ball 300 yrds :-P

He would need to be able to drive the ball something like 800 yards to do this feat cleanly.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I would like to see anyone that has ever had a hole in one, video tape themselves repeating their hole in one.  I will put up $100 and give them 100 tries. Of course if they are not able to repeat it, they were lying to start with and it never happened.

That's not really the same thing at all. A hole in one is a real event and it's well documented that they actually happen. If you told me you made a hole in one tomorrow, I'd believe you. Hitting a ball out from under a foot of water, however, is different. Many of us think it's physically impossible to do. You might as well say, "I threw a ball from the ground into outer space." I'd love to see a video of someone doing that too, because it can't be done. [quote name="jusanothajoe" url="/t/78113/the-ball-under-a-foot-of-water-challenge/120#post_1081490"] Think some may have been a little hard on MS256. [/quote]I thought it was more like some hard ribbing from a group of friends. If I claim to have done something unbelievable, my friends would call me out on it, too.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

That's not really the same thing at all. A hole in one is a real event and it's well documented that they actually happen. If you told me you made a hole in one tomorrow, I'd believe you.

Hitting a ball out from under a foot of water, however, is different. Many of us think it's physically impossible to do. You might as well say, "I threw a ball from the ground into outer space." I'd love to see a video of someone doing that too, because it can't be done.

I thought it was more like some hard ribbing from a group of friends. If I claim to have done something unbelievable, my friends would call me out on it, too.

My point was just because no one from this forum saw him do it, or because he couldn't repeat it, doesn't mean it never happened.

As far as "hard ribbing" calling someone a lier crosses the hard ribbing line. IMHO.May not have been intended that way, but may have been taken that way. As often happens on the internet.

Wonder if him not being back since means he might think the same ? just sayin

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

My point was just because no one from this forum saw him do it, or because he couldn't repeat it, doesn't mean it never happened.

Yea, but there's a difference between something that's plausible and something that's impossible. A hole in one is plausible. Hitting a ball out from under a foot of water with a golf club? Unless I see evidence to the contrary, I'm filing that under impossible. [quote name="jusanothajoe" url="/t/78113/the-ball-under-a-foot-of-water-challenge/120#post_1081508"] As far as "hard ribbing" calling someone a lier crosses the hard ribbing line. IMHO.May not have been intended that way, but may have been taken that way. As often happens on the internet. [/quote]I must have missed that, but you're right. It's very easy to misconstrue someone's message on the internet. [quote name="jusanothajoe" url="/t/78113/the-ball-under-a-foot-of-water-challenge/120#post_1081508"] Wonder if him not being back since means he might think the same ? just sayin [/quote]Don't know, and he's not here to tell us one way or another. I'm not going to make assumptions about what somebody else may be thinking or feeling.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusanothajoe

Yea, but there's a difference between something that's plausible and something that's impossible. A hole in one is plausible. Hitting a ball out from under a foot of water with a golf club? Unless I see evidence to the contrary, I'm filing that under impossible.

Exactly. If I watched you make 100 attempts at hitting a hole in one, I'd probably see a few close ones, and even if none were anywhere near close it would still be clearly evident that it's not impossible. @Golfingdad made some serious attempts in 9" of water (a full 25% less than Steve's claim) and couldn't even get it up near the surface let alone out. Another poster further back did a series of tests and found the same results, 8-9" and he could move it a bit but 12"...no way in hell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusanothajoe

As far as "hard ribbing" calling someone a lier crosses the hard ribbing line. IMHO.May not have been intended that way, but may have been taken that way. As often happens on the internet.

I must have missed that, but you're right. It's very easy to misconstrue someone's message on the internet.

I don't recall anyone calling him an outright liar, I know he kept trying to force that. I, and others, kept offering alternate choices between "totally happened exactly as I described" and "you're a liar, liar, pants on fire." The main consensus seems to be that he DID hit the ball out of the water and he DID get it on the green, BUT he was MISTAKEN on the depth. So not a liar, maybe a bit of an exaggeration akin to the Big Fish stories and probably a tale that has grown an inch or two with each telling, but I wouldn't put that in the same category as a bald face lie.

Where MS got in trouble was his inability to consider the possibility that it LOOKED deeper than it actually was. Any doubts I may have had about any of this were thoroughly extinguished after watching Barney flail away like tuna at a water park disco.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusanothajoe

Yea, but there's a difference between something that's plausible and something that's impossible. A hole in one is plausible. Hitting a ball out from under a foot of water with a golf club? Unless I see evidence to the contrary, I'm filing that under impossible.

Quote:

I must have missed that, but you're right. It's very easy to misconstrue someone's message on the internet.

Quote:

Don't know, and he's not here to tell us one way or another. I'm not going to make assumptions about what somebody else may be thinking or feeling.

I tend to agree that calling him a liar is a little over the line.

Like some of mentioned, it is possible to scoop the ball out. If I were doing it and "scooped" it out, I would have also said that I "did" it. Then if my son said I scooped it out, and it was a stroke penalty anyway I would have concurred that it was scooped. This is because my technical mind would have thought about it for a little bit and concluded that he was right.

Scooping the ball out of a foot of water is probably comparable to getting a hole in one. Although, the hole in one does not incur a penalty.

Simply put, we were a little too hard on @MS256 .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I would like to see anyone that has ever had a hole in one, video tape themselves repeating their hole in one.  I will put up $100 and give them 100 tries.

Of course if they are not able to repeat it, they were lying to start with and it never happened. Think some may have been a little hard on MS256.

I see your point, but figured I'd just re-iterate that what we (I) were doing is just having a little fun.  But be careful saying that we called him a liar.  Nobody did that.

He very well may think the same.  But he shouldn't.  Again, it shouldn't need to be restated but saying "I don't believe you" does not at all equate to "you are a liar."  It means "I think you are mistaken."  I have no doubts at all that @MS256 played golf with his son that day and swung at a ball that was in the water and then saw a ball on the green that he thought was his.  But the laws of physics simply do not permit that he hit a ball out of one foot (heck, not even 8.75") of water.

So, either he just misjudged the depth, which is a completely honest mistake, or (as I, somewhat jokingly, pointed out earlier) his son was playing a little practical joke on him.

Regardless, nobody actually wanted @MS256 to go away.  Now who is @saevel25 going to make fun of when Ohio State beats them in the first round of the playoffs in a few weeks?? :-P

Simply put, we were a little too hard on @MS256.

I disagree.

We weren't "hard" on him, but we also weren't about to start pretending to believe him just so no feathers would be ruffled. We were truthful and honest with our positions, if that's being hard on someone then the world is too ****ing soft.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Simply put, we were a little too hard on @MS256.

I disagree.

We weren't "hard" on him, but we also weren't about to start pretending to believe him just so no feathers would be ruffled. We were truthful and honest with our positions, if that's being hard on someone then the world is too ****ing soft.

I just went back through the thread, and agree that we did not call him a chronic liar or anything even remotely as such.

I think if we clarified the wording a bit saying something like "We don't believe you "hit" the ball a foot out of water, but possibly scooped it?" it would be more palatable. Saying that he's not able to figure how deep is a "foot" is pretty insulting to a person who's clearly been doing construction type things all his life.

The reasons we gave for doubting were off the top our heads, and we stuck to them (and still do in some cases). We might have been wrong about the depth, as it very well could have been a foot.

I tried this experiment with my pool a month ago (unfortunately it's 4' deep pool on the shallow side and I needed to put a 30" table with a heavy "haney" golf mat underwater). I almost scooped it to the surface a couple times with a regular swing. It seemed like it was possible to scoop it out if you get the ball exactly in the right spot on the club. The chances are probably the same as me getting a hole in one. Which I have yet to do. I stopped because my shoulder was/is still injured.

If we backed off our reasons like "you don't know what a foot is. . ." and found other plausible ways he could have done it, it would have been much better.

He's a decent person, and I've had a few PMs where other people doubted what he said and found the dumbest reasons why he was "wrong", and he showed me pictures showing the contrary.

Just saying. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Regardless, nobody actually wanted @MS256 to go away.  Now who is @saevel25 going to make fun of when Ohio State beats them in the first round of the playoffs in a few weeks??

I don't know, I am having fun with that one guy who is blowing up the NCAA Football thread :-D

He very well may think the same.  But he shouldn't.  Again, it shouldn't need to be restated but saying "I don't believe you" does not at all equate to "you are a liar."  It means "I think you are mistaken."  I have no doubts at all that @MS256 played golf with his son that day and swung at a ball that was in the water and then saw a ball on the green that he thought was his.  But the laws of physics simply do not permit that he hit a ball out of one foot (heck, not even 8.75") of water.

I tend to agree that a lot of people get caught up in that trap.

Honestly, trying to judge depth of water, especially form a larger body of water, is very hard to do just by sight. I would agree that @MS256 mistook the depth of water. In no way does this invalidate that he did hit a ball from the water and onto the green.

Unless someone can actually hit a ball out of a foot of water a substantial enough distance to make it plausible to reach a green, then it didn't happen as @MS256 exactly said it happened.

In no way does that make him a liar since his information was wrong.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I see your point, but figured I'd just re-iterate that what we (I) were doing is just having a little fun.  But be careful saying that we called him a liar.  Nobody did that.

He very well may think the same.  But he shouldn't.  Again, it shouldn't need to be restated but saying "I don't believe you" does not at all equate to "you are a liar."  It means "I think you are mistaken."  I have no doubts at all that @MS256 played golf with his son that day and swung at a ball that was in the water and then saw a ball on the green that he thought was his.  But the laws of physics simply do not permit that he hit a ball out of one foot (heck, not even 8.75") of water.

So, either he just misjudged the depth, which is a completely honest mistake, or (as I, somewhat jokingly, pointed out earlier) his son was playing a little practical joke on him.

Regardless, nobody actually wanted @MS256 to go away.  Now who is @saevel25 going to make fun of when Ohio State beats them in the first round of the playoffs in a few weeks??

physics says you're lying, because it didn't happen .

The above and a few more could have been taken the wrong way. Don't think it was intended to be harsh at all, he even said it's not us. Also don't think anyone else in this thread meant any harm.

Maybe this has nothing to do with why he hasn't been around, he may be spending all his free time hackin a golf club in the lake :-P Gave my two cents that's all

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I tend to agree that a lot of people get caught up in that trap.

Honestly, trying to judge depth of water, especially form a larger body of water, is very hard to do just by sight. I would agree that @MS256 mistook the depth of water. In no way does this invalidate that he did hit a ball from the water and onto the green.

Unless someone can actually hit a ball out of a foot of water a substantial enough distance to make it plausible to reach a green, then it didn't happen as @MS256 exactly said it happened.

In no way does that make him a liar since his information was wrong.

I agree with the trap part. Everyone gets caught up in their own theories, and doesn't readily accept other possible alternatives that easily. It's human nature to want to be right all the time.

My take is that he was probably standing in the foot of water, so he probably could tell within an inch or two? If or how he did it is another thing. I have no idea, but I'm not going to discount that he possibly did it.

If he did it it was definitely not by the rules of golf, but it had to be within the observational laws of physics.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

physics says you're lying, because it didn't happen.

The above and a few more could have been taken the wrong way. Don't think it was intended to be harsh at all, he even said it's not us. Also don't think anyone else in this thread meant any harm.

Maybe this has nothing to do with why he hasn't been around, he may be spending all his free time hackin a golf club in the lake  Gave my two cents that's all

I hope I didn't say that, because I agree with you that the wording isn't ideal and it shouldn't have been worded that way.

But, yes, we all wish him well and hope that he's just golfing too much to worry about us. :beer:

Of course if they are not able to repeat it, they were lying to start with and it never happened.

Believe it or not, things that are known to be possible and have been witnessed do not need to be verified over and over.

Theories that are considered physical or scientific impossibilities require proof otherwise they are disregarded.

Point is no one with an ounce of intelligence needs or even wants to see the video except for a laugh, because they know it can't be done.

If you throw a coin into a glass from 10 metres it's a combination of luck and skill, but it can be done. No-one is saying you have to be able to do it on demand or you are a liar.

A golf ball can NOT be hit out of a foot of water. And anyone who even thinks it might be possible lacks some basic physics which are just learnt by spending five minutes in a swimming pool.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3339 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!