Sign in to follow this  
luggage

After Back Surgery I hit all woods and no irons

Note: This thread is 2202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 posts / 1001 viewsLast Reply

Following back surgery a few years back I thought that I would never be able to play again.  I would go in my back yard and could not bend enough to hit a wedge or short or medium irons.  A club pro suggested I switch out all of my irons to woods. I've really never had a problem hitting fairway woods so I said what the heck.  I have the following clubs: Driver 200yrds, 3wood 160yrds, 5wood ??,7wood maybe 130yrds, 9wood110yrds, 11 wood??, 13 wood ??, 15wood ??,17wood 100yrds and 19wood as a pitching wedge up to 90 yrds.

The questions marks are because I haven't used them enough to establish an average.  It may sound strange but it works for me.  Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this.  I would love to discuss this experience with someone who has.  Thanks for listening.

Following back surgery a few years back I thought that I would never be able to play again.  I would go in my back yard and could not bend enough to hit a wedge or short or medium irons.  A club pro suggested I switch out all of my irons to woods. I've really never had a problem hitting fairway woods so I said what the heck.  I have the following clubs: Driver 200yrds, 3wood 160yrds, 5wood ??,7wood maybe 130yrds, 9wood110yrds, 11 wood??, 13 wood ??, 15wood ??,17wood 100yrds and 19wood as a pitching wedge up to 90 yrds.

The questions marks are because I haven't used them enough to establish an average.  It may sound strange but it works for me.  Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this.  I would love to discuss this experience with someone who has.  Thanks for listening.

Yep, I've heard of people going the all FW route, although all hybrids is far more common these days. I've been paired up with people who have had hybrids all the way down to and including a 7h. Never seen an all FW set-up but definitely heard of it. Whatever works.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just had RC surgery of my right shoulder about 2 months ago, and the thought of hitting an iron makes me cringe. At this point in my physical therapy I can just swing a club very very gently. I am progressing well, but it takes a lot of time to get back to a normal feeling.

Right now my bag looks like this, and distances can vary:

SW     = 58*

LW     = 54*   =
GW     = 49*   =   0-100 yds
PW     = 44*   =  90-120 yds
9 Iron = 38*   = 120-130 yds
8 Iron = 34.5* = 130-140 yds
7 Iron = 30*   = 140-150 yds
6 Iron = 26*   = 150-160 yds
5Hybrd = 25*   = 160-170 yds
4Hybrd = 22*   = 170-180 yds
5 Wood = 19*   = 180-190 yds
3 Wood = 15*   = 190-210 yds
Driver = 9.5*  = 200-250 yds
Putter         = -----------

I just had RC surgery of my right shoulder about 2 months ago, and the thought of hitting an iron makes me cringe. At this point in my physical therapy I can just swing a club very very gently. I am progressing well, but it takes a lot of time to get back to a normal feeling.  Right now my bag looks like this, and distances can vary: SW     = 58* LW     = 54*   =   GW     = 49*   =   0-100 yds PW     = 44*   =  90-120 yds  9 Iron = 38*   = 120-130 yds 8 Iron = 34.5* = 130-140 yds 7 Iron = 30*   = 140-150 yds 6 Iron = 26*   = 150-160 yds 5Hybrd = 25*   = 160-170 yds 4Hybrd = 22*   = 170-180 yds 5 Wood = 19*   = 180-190 yds 3 Wood = 15*   = 190-210 yds Driver = 9.5*  = 200-250 yds Putter         = [COLOR=FF00AA]Taylormade Spiderblade[/COLOR]

;-) On 'er way tomorrow.

Note: This thread is 2202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!