IGNORED

What Are Your 2015 Golf Goals? Official Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well my '15 goals are very structured as follows, 1) Get HI back around 6, more practice on short game should help this. 2) Shoot level par or better at my home course (my best there since my accident is 74, with a double at 18) 3) Limit my big numbers and get the ball back in play and take doubles and triples out of play... 4) find a way to practice about an hour a day 3 times a week, and maybe play 3 times a week 5) Stop trying to fix everything myself and actually take a couple lessons... 6) have more fun 7) play one round of golf with only 3 clubs 8) I want to try to get into good enough shape to maybe attempt speed golf 9) I need to get a more forgiving set of irons (I hit my V-blades solid which are fit to me, but My misses are inconsistent 10) Play other courses than Newman, I got out to Hollybrook down in Spencer this year, but there are more courses around here I'd like to play, I think I can get 3-5 different courses in this year... 11 and 12) get my wife and daughter to play, Alina is a daddy's girl so Alina will probably be easy (though I'll probably wait until at least July or so when she's a little closer to 2), my wife Maybe the tricky one though, I can't explain how to swing the club to her, because I have never really even taken a lesson myself, so maybe I can get her a lesson or two before I take her out to the course...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To get back playing by mid summer. Got dx with avascular necrosis of my right hip. So will need hip replacement in next month or two. Then hopefully try to get to scratch by end of year.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

I really only have 2 goals this year. 1- Break 80 2- No rounds in triple digits I was very close to both last season, do with continued lessons, practice, and learning to use the bounce, hoping both will fall early and I'll be able to revise this. I'm also considering some lessons on the lm over the winter if my back finished healing.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Identical to last year..... 1. Play 100+ rounds. 2. Index below 4.0 and maintain for at least one additional revision. 3. At least one round under par. Unfortunately, the only goal I achieved last year was the first. I did get into the mid-4's for a few revisions, but that was the outlier and my low round of the year was only 74, a couple of times. Overall it was a tough year. I'm trying to add a little driver distance by getting a little more positive launch angle. Recent results are promising. I also tend to move around a lot in my swing and am working hard to nail keys 1 and 2 to improve my ball striking consistency.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My #1 goal is to play in the gross division of my men's club championship. To do that, I need to get my handicap below a 10. My other goal is to finish the handicap year with a single digit handicap.

How I plan to accomplish this is by working with evovlr in the winter doldrums. I think I've already improved a bit with just one video lesson, believe it or not. But I can see on video that I have a lot to work on, and it will be a long, hard slog.

I honestly think I could get below a 10 if I just went and practiced on my short game a lot in the spring. But I think if I put in the work on my full swing instead, I have potential to be low single digits and be in the thick of the gross divisions in my men's club (usual winners are in the 3 handicap range). That's my long term goal.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

My main goal for this year (same as last year) is to break 80 at least once! The last good round of the year this year I was on track to shoot a 79, but wouldn't you know it I tanked the last two holes to come up right on an 80!!!!!!! I'd also like to get my scrambling percentage higher than the teens. If my scrambling percentage wound up at or near 30% I would be ecstatic! For some reason I have such a problem with getting up and downs!

My goal is to maintain my key 1 at impact and to swing from the inside exclusively. I've been coming over the top for my whole life and I absolutely hate seeing it when I video my swing. My longer term goal would be to card a round in the 70 ' s (not on a par 3 course) but I know I have to have a better full swing before that will happen.

I'm getting new irons - They are already LATE from delivery.....can't wait

1 - Stay in single digits (I don't feel like a 9, I 'feel' like a 12) - I'd like to really feel solid in my handicap - From the last 20 rounds....I want my 11-20th games to score more like my 1-10 best scores.....  That means cleaner and cleaner contact, MUCH fewer swing meltdowns.  Plan to work on that with a little coaching and a lot of range time

2 - long chips, half swings, approach options etc etc etc - I want these shots in my skill set.  Time to practice them, a lot.---also, more lofting/de-lofting knowledge for my swing.  I like this aspect of the swing

3 - Get comfy with putting, I'm not confident when I putt,  I need to take my right hand out of it and quiet my mind.  Will mess around with more grips and find one that really lets me relax while putting.

4 - I'm not going to play smarter this year, I don't have enough eagles yet...swing away

5 - I need to play at least 8-11 new courses to fill the ball rack

6 - 7 new bloody mary interpretations - on courses - just because

7 - I'd like to take a golf trip with friends this year

Bill - 

After abdominal surgery earlier this year that left me with no core strength at all, all of my goals are fitness related and golf figures heavily in them.

Lose 50 pounds by changing eating habits, DAILY and exercise.

Gain core strength and increase swing speed by weight training 3 days a week.

Golf 2 times a week (senior rates are cool).

Get some professional help with my swing.

Stay healthy to keep golfing.

Golf to stay healthy.

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

1. Settle my knees down throughout the swing and get more weight forward at impact.

2. Figure out how to hit a draw with the longer clubs.

3. Work on my core/legs more.

4. Gain distance

5. Break 90

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

My 2015 goals started in the offseason:

1. visit a recommended fitter-done

2. Take lessons from a recommended teaching pro-started

3. replace my irons-the pin has been pulled-saturday delivery

4. shooting a 45 9 holes (shot a 47 in 2014, down from 70 three years ago)

5. getting a 97 18 holes-still get tired and breakdown on a back nine (shot a 102 in 2014, down from a billion three years ago)

6. alternate practice /short game/putting with driving range practice

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's always interesting to me to see what goals I set the year before and if I met them.  Last season was one that I didn't meet any of the goals I set for myself.  I had been relocated to the Charlotte area, and as such, I anticipated playing a TON of golf.  Unfortunately, my family stayed in New Jersey until July... so I spent a LOT of time driving back and forth from Charlotte to New Jersey, which meant not-so-much time on the course or at the practice facility.

Now that they're here, I will be joining the Golfweek Amateur Tour in the Charlotte area and I intend to play in a majority of the events.  So, I've got some more specific goals I'd like to try and achieve this season.

1. I still want to win a tournament - For years, I've entered tournaments... and though I've had a number of close calls, I've never 'officially' won a tournament.  For that reason, it still remains my number one goal.  As mentioned above, I plan to join the Golfweek Amateur Tour here in Charlotte, which should give me 10+ opportunities to play in some decent tournaments.  The thing I like the most is that it's flighted and stroke play, so while my handicap will likely start me off in the C Flight, I know I've got the ability to shoot a high 80s to low 90s score, which could be good enough to win me a tournament, hopefully!

2. Get my handicap back to a reasonable number - A few years ago, I was able to work my handicap down to about a 16.7 level.  I'm currently at about an 18.6 handicap.  The nice thing is that I tend to play much better when I'm in tournaments.  I think I just focus more and don't try any stupid 'hero' shots when I get in trouble... and that tends to save my scores.  The last 'real' tournaments I played in were in the summer of 2013.  With the exception of one poor round in the first round of a county tournament, my USGA differential for the other 4 tournament rounds I played was about a 16.6 or so.  I'm hoping that by playing in tournaments, it'll make me focus... and that should bring the index down.  I'd LIKE to get my index below 16.0 if possible, but we'll see.

3. Putt the ball better and break 30 putts for a round - This has been on my list forever.  I have still never done it.  The closest I've had was 31 putts.  I average about 3 three-putts per round, which kills me.  Those tournament rounds I mentioned above were some of my best-ever ball striking rounds.  I shot rounds of 88 and 89 on back-to-back days in separate tournaments... but both of them could have been WAY better because I finished both rounds with 37 putts each day.  PGA Tour players average about 28 putts per round... where I average just below 36 putts per round.  I will never expect to AVERAGE below 30 putts per round... but if I can close the gap slightly and average around 33 and have an occassional sub-30 round... I'd be happy.

That's about it for this year.  Every year, I say I'm going to play more... and it never happens.  Too many things come up with work and I just can't ever reach the levels I hope to reach, but... I believe all of the goals listed above are attainable.

Good luck in 2015!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Given a core muscle injury my goals just dropped to shaving 6 strokes off the HC, and I think I'll be lucky if I do that. These injuries can nag for months.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

1) Save enough money to get myself a set of new irons and an Edel putter.

2) Get my HC down to 22.9.  For the courses that I play, that would mean I average a 95 which means shooting on average a 97 at the hardest course I play at and a 93 on average at the easiest course I play at.  I plan on doing this by becoming a better ball striker by doing more deliberate practice that my Evolvr instructor gives me.

3) Play 50 rounds.  I played fewer than 20 rounds this year because of work.  This year doesn't rate to be as busy for me so hoping to be able to play a lot more.

4) Become a better putter.  After back to back years of averaging 2.07 putts per hole, which, because my GIR is so low, it means that not only can my putting use improvement, but so can my chipping and pitching when I hit a nGIR.  My scrambling percentage was 5.77% so if I don't see that number increase, then my average putts per hole won't go down.  My goal was 1.75 last year.  I think a more realistic goal this year would be to get it to 1.9.  The best way I can do this is through putting into practice the short game principles in LSW.

5) Lower the amount of triple bogey's or worse.  This year the average number of holes I did that in a full round was 5.22.  There is light at the end of the tunnel, though, as over my last 4 rounds of the year, that number was reduced to 4.4.  I would like to limit my triple bogeys or more to an average of 3.  This would be done by becoming a better ball striker and by using the same method as with #2.

6) This was a 2014 goal and it's a goal for 2015 - score in the 80's at least once.  89 or bust!

7) Become a better bunker player.  Have to learn how to consistently get it out of the bunker which I think means understanding the videos I've seen and just setting aside a couple of days and practicing it until I get it.

Bring on 2015!!!!!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 3061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!