IGNORED

What Are Your 2015 Golf Goals? Official Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After abdominal surgery earlier this year that left me with no core strength at all, all of my goals are fitness related and golf figures heavily in them.

Lose 50 pounds by changing eating habits, DAILY and exercise.

Gain core strength and increase swing speed by weight training 3 days a week.

Golf 2 times a week (senior rates are cool).

Get some professional help with my swing.

Stay healthy to keep golfing.

Golf to stay healthy.

Time to update my goals for 2015 and get more specific.

1. Continue working out at the gym to increase core strength and swing speed through weight training, cardio, and stretching exercises ongoing

2. Join company golf league with the company from where I retired starting April 1

3. Join the men's club at a local course and obtain a handicap through USGA in work now

4. Continue instruction and practice to reduce handicap when identified ongoing

5. Read "Lowest Score Wins" when it gets here and put it to practice by April 1

6. Sign up for Evolvr by June 1

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My goals are simple as they are every year...................

I finished 2014 with a 3.1 index..............my only goal for 2015 is to beat that.  I don't care if it's by .1...........

My goal is normally not to get worse, but I need to improve on that 3.1.... I started the year a 1. something, so I failed my 2014 goal.  I want work my way back to a 1.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 2 weeks later...

pretty easy goals for mee and feeling confident to make them this year

1) getting my handicap down below 30

2) scoring a round below 100

3) play a Course other than my homecourse

so far I'm 1/3....:)

WITB:

| 3-Wood | :callaway: Razr Fit 15°

|  Hybrid | :cobra: Baffler T-Rail 18°

|   Irons  | :tmade: TP CB 5-PW

|  Wedge | :tmade: TP 56/12

|  Putter  | :odyssey: Versa 1w

|    Ball   |  Dx2

|    Bag   | :callaway: Standbag

As a teacher, mine's really based around holiday time, but there's a few: [U]Skill-wise[/U] - have better control of distance with wedges; i.e. sort out the 3x4 method once and for all. I reckon a couple of days' serious work should do this. - markedly improve ball striking with irons - improve lag putting - ideally be able to draw and fade the ball when needed... [U]Handicap[/U] - Down to 10

I'm going to add one more - have at least 5 'specific' lessons. The first I had this year really kick started things with the driver and the next will hopefully do the same with wedges under 100 yards.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I have decided to learn how to putt...... Not exactly brimming with confidence here but I will give it a go....

..... Lots to work on...

suggestions?

That was quick....2 down, one to go...sadly you couldn't improve your handicap today or all three would be set :D

pretty easy goals for mee and feeling confident to make them this year

1) getting my handicap down below 30

2) scoring a round below 100

3) play a Course other than my homecourse

so far I'm 1/3....:)

WITB:

| 3-Wood | :callaway: Razr Fit 15°

|  Hybrid | :cobra: Baffler T-Rail 18°

|   Irons  | :tmade: TP CB 5-PW

|  Wedge | :tmade: TP 56/12

|  Putter  | :odyssey: Versa 1w

|    Ball   |  Dx2

|    Bag   | :callaway: Standbag

1. Break 80, 10 times

2. Shoot one round of 76 or less

3. Do one of the above in a tournament

4. Work on strengthening lower back ( sciatica )

After my final round of this year I will be back to post results. These are big goals for me. Especially No. 3. I have yet to break 80 in a tournament.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Really just one, hit more GIR. To do that will require different bits and pieces.

So far a total failure. I just paid my dues for league last week and everyone 9.9 or lower required to play championship flight so I need to get the lead out.

Dave :-)

Current HI = 19.  2015 HI target = 16.   Keep total putts per round = 32-, GIRs = 4+, Driving average = 200+, number of OBs = 1-, number of pars = 5+

Win a club tournament.

Make a hole in one or get an eagle.

Play Bandon Dunes.

Get custom fit golf set.

Don't kill myself when 1 - 5 ends in utter failure.

Quarterly update above.   Bold is added.   Strike thru items are done.   Hope to revise my HI target ti something lower than 16 in the next update if things go well.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1. Break 80 on my home course. (Had two 83's last month).

2. Reduce my H/C index to below 11. (The index currently sits at 12.5).

That's it.

Chris.:roll:

1.  Introduce two new players to the sport

2.  Play at least 7 best ball tournaments

3.  Improve short game proximity to the hole

4.  Get more comfortable and confident with Driver.  I still fall back on 3 wood/4 iron off the tee even after reading LSW.  I'm long off the tee, but I fear it's my weakest area of my game.

5.  Have fun every round and laugh a lot!!  Enjoy the sport and never take it so serious that I forget I play for the fun...

6.  Try some really crazy shots - yes, get risky!  You know the ones where you think "I really shouldn't do this"....  yep- Go For It!  and don't worry about the double bogey!  Have FUN!

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

For 2015:

1. Get ALL chips/pitches to, and past the hole.  Can't count the number I left 20' short and 2-putted.  Need to provide more REAL up-and-down opportunities from around the green.

2. Hit fairway shots more solidly and control distance better.  I'm getting my hybrids (4 and 5) and shorter iron (6-9i) distances better dialed in.  Reality setting in that my 7-iron goes more like 135 than 145.  Dial in wedge distances, (P, AW, 54* and 58* lofts) so I can get closer to pins.

Last year, main goal was to reduce stroke average on par-3 holes.  This led to goal 2 this year.  Can't score on par-3s unless you have 180 yards and closer shots at least predictable from the tee box.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

As this is the start of my 3rd season, my goals are very simple:

1.  Improve my swing

2.  Learn to use all the clubs in my bag.  By the end of last season, I was doing all right with my 5I - LW.  I couldn't hit hybrids, 3 wood or driver without horrible results.

3.  Get to the point where I'm willing to keep score.  By the end of last season I saw some encouraging improvement.  I made a couple solid bogeys on par 4's by using 5I - 5I - wedge, putt, putt.

So, how to get there:

1.  Take some lessons.  I wasn't thrilled with the instructors I tried last season.  There are only a few around here so I'm not sure what else to do, short of driving over to Erie (something I haven't ruled out.)

2.  I just ordered the 5SK dvds and will work with that

3.  Spend more time at the practice range than on the course.

I have already been working on slowing down my practice time at the range and focusing on small parts of the swing.  Yesterday some guys in front of me bought bigger buckets than I did but they were long gone when I still had 10-20 balls left.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I have already been working on slowing down my practice time at the range and focusing on small parts of the swing.  Yesterday some guys in front of me bought bigger buckets than I did but they were long gone when I still had 10-20 balls left.

I'd just be a little wary of this one. Don't forget it's a game for enjoyment - if you're spending your time on the range well, like you say, then I don't think you need to spend more time there than on the course. You'll learn loads on the course anyway through game management, imperfect lies, different situations and how you control your emotions.

Best of luck with it though and keep us posted; it sounds like you have good goals :-)

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by krupa

I'd just be a little wary of this one. Don't forget it's a game for enjoyment - if you're spending your time on the range well, like you say, then I don't think you need to spend more time there than on the course. You'll learn loads on the course anyway through game management, imperfect lies, different situations and how you control your emotions.

Best of luck with it though and keep us posted; it sounds like you have good goals

Thanks!

I agree that I could burn out at the range and that there's a lot to learn on the course.  Last year, I had a membership at my local course (that does not have a range, just a couple practice greens) and I found that on a nice day, I felt obligated to play since I had already paid for it.  And so I wasn't going to the range enough to work on things.  This year, I skipped the membership so I wouldn't have that nagging me.

So I guess when I say "more time at the range than the course", I just mean maybe two trips to the range for one trip to the course.  Something like that, anyway.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note: This thread is 3033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!