IGNORED

Mirrors vs. Cameras

Note: This thread is 2396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. If you could only have one of the following to use for the rest of time in practicing golf, which would you choose?

• A large mirror (3' x 4' or so)
    • A 120 to 240 FPS camera

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A camera hands down. (Replay) Accidents happen. Break the camera nothing happens. Break the mirror and for next 7 years you might be shanking every other shot.

I voted for camera. I do use mirrors and think they can be very useful but a camera just gives you better feedback on what is really happening. The mirror is good for practicing feels or positions and

on my IPHONE I use two apps for practicing with a camera..."SLOPRO, and Ubersense"...both have great features. But the difference between camera and mirror are, with the IPHONE, there isn't any handy

• Administrator

Mirror.

Because he didn't say you could download the video onto your computer to analyze it in slow motion.

You get to, but even if you didn't, you can play it back on the camera.

Mirrors also don't need firmware updates, driver updates, and assuming the thing never breaks, you only need ammonia and newspaper every now and then. However if you become a vampire, the camera would probably be a better deal.

Most of the little cameras these days are fine. I haven't had to update the firmware on any of the Casios.

Which, sadly, are still the best options… :P

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrvFrShow

Mirror.

Because he didn't say you could download the video onto your computer to analyze it in slow motion.

You get to, but even if you didn't, you can play it back on the camera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrvFrShow

Mirrors also don't need firmware updates, driver updates, and assuming the thing never breaks, you only need ammonia and newspaper every now and then. However if you become a vampire, the camera would probably be a better deal.

Most of the little cameras these days are fine. I haven't had to update the firmware on any of the Casios.

Which, sadly, are still the best options… :P

A camera needs a tripod (or willing friend), batteries, memory card and that battery to be charged though. It's irksome when I discover I don't have one of the former at the range.

What other features are you looking for @iacas that the Casios don't have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

What other features are you looking for @iacas that the Casios don't have?

Uhm, current production, for one.

(Higher resolution second.)

Oh that's right, I forget - Casio discontinued some (all?) of their models with the high fps video?

Camera, for sure.  Because:

(1) I can put a camera behind me (actually to my right, I guess), pointing down the line of the shot, which is what I need to see if my swing is on-plane.  I can only see a mirror if it's in front of me.

(2) It's hard to look at a mirror while I swing because, well, I'm busy swinging a frigging club.  Anyway, how do I simultaneously keep my head down and look at a mirror?

(3) I can carry a camera and tripod to a range, but carrying a big mirror, along with my bag, just seems ridiculous.

(4) I can use a camera on the course occasionally, in addition to on the range.

(5) I can also use a 240fps camera to video cool stuff like water splashing and balloons bursting ;-)

on my IPHONE I use two apps for practicing with a camera..."SLOPRO, and Ubersense"...both have great features. But the difference between camera and mirror are, with the IPHONE, there isn't any handy dandy tripod I can use so I have to keep asking my wife to film me. AND THE F@%KING criticizing that I have to put up with when she's behind the camera....

"you look fat", "with all this practicing you do why aren't you any better" ,etc...and etc....one time she video taped my feet !!...thinking it was a joke(ok...that was a good one)...but all in  all w/ the slo mo you can get with these apps and all the extra bells and whistles.....it's a better call then a mirror...but if I could get a large mirror with some space, with the both(camera/mirror) at my resources.....maybe I would lose some weight......

SINN

• Upvote 1

I would be interesting to know how many people have used both--outdoors in a real environment, not in your bathroom.

From the responses (many of which seem almost knee-jerk in an "why of course a camera is better" way), I'm guessing not many people have practical experience with a mirror or realize that:

1) golf practice mirrors are acrylic, not glass, and extremely light.

2) using a convex mirror allows you to use a small mirror; I use a 9 inch (yes inch) as well as a 24 inch acrylic convex mirror. I place the 9 inch one either directly outside the ball or inside the ball directly under me.

The original question was between a camera and a 3 ft x 4 ft mirror. That is a huge mirror. Certainly impractical to haul around (particularly if made of glass).

BTW, I also have a camera setup. I find it useful, but not a replacement for a mirror. Rather, for me anyway, the mirror and camera complement each other. Each giving me different feedback.

An acrylic convex security mirror only runs about $30 on Amazon. In golf terms pretty cheap.

• Administrator

on my IPHONE I use two apps for practicing with a camera..."SLOPRO, and Ubersense"...both have great features. But the difference between camera and mirror are, with the IPHONE, there isn't any handy dandy tripod I can use so I have to keep asking my wife to film me. AND THE F@%KING criticizing that I have to put up with when she's behind the camera....

"you look fat", "with all this practicing you do why aren't you any better" ,etc...and etc....one time she video taped my feet !!...thinking it was a joke(ok...that was a good one)...but all in  all w/ the slo mo you can get with these apps and all the extra bells and whistles.....it's a better call then a mirror...but if I could get a large mirror with some space, with the both(camera/mirror) at my resources.....maybe I would lose some weight......

That's funny. :)

I would be interesting to know how many people have used both--outdoors in a real environment, not in your bathroom.

From the responses (many of which seem almost knee-jerk in an "why of course a camera is better" way), I'm guessing not many people have practical experience with a mirror or realize that:

1) golf practice mirrors are acrylic, not glass, and extremely light.

2) using a convex mirror allows you to use a small mirror; I use a 9 inch (yes inch) as well as a 24 inch acrylic convex mirror. I place the 9 inch one either directly outside the ball or inside the ball directly under me.

I love mirrors. I give "mirror work" to almost all of my students.

But the fact remains that wherever you position a mirror (which is almost anywhere you can position a camera), you can't really "look" at it during the downswing or near impact. You can look at it during your backswing, sure, but when the goal is to hit the ball, stuff is too fast to see it in a mirror (particularly if you're splitting your focus between the ball and the mirror).

An acrylic convex security mirror only runs about $30 on Amazon. In golf terms pretty cheap.

I like mirrors.

But I like a camera about 10x more. :)

SINN

lol

You can get a handy dandy adapter that allows you to attach an iphone to a camera tripod.  Perhaps you already have a camera tripod.

http://www.amazon.com/ChargerCity-Exclusive-Adjustment-Easy-Adjust-Smartphone/dp/B008VI7ORA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1416433444&sr;=8-1&keywords;=iphone+tripod+adapter&pebp;=1416433735177

SINN

lol

You can get a handy dandy adapter that allows you to attach an iphone to a camera tripod.  Perhaps you already have a camera tripod.

http://www.amazon.com/ChargerCity-Exclusive-Adjustment-Easy-Adjust-Smartphone/dp/B008VI7ORA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1416433444&sr;=8-1&keywords;=iphone+tripod+adapter&pebp;=1416433735177

And if you miss you wife's comments you can just get a SW app for you phone:

• 3 weeks later...

I'll take the mirror. I like the instant feedback and checking to see in real time that I'm on the right lines. (But I'd still take both! :-P )

• 4 weeks later...

For me a camera for two reasons. One I can check swing in parts/sequences. Two (comfort factor), I never could get used to a mirror when practicing hitting balls. I do like the convex mirror setup but I still felt my tempo was affected due to focusing on ball + reflection.

Note: This thread is 2396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!