IGNORED

Why Flaring Your Feet at Address Makes Golf Easier

mvmac

This post kind of proved that how there are very few fundamental truths in golf.

Flaring the left foot I can understand, but I play much better with my right foot square, it kind of locks me down into an athletic position. 

But then again, for some people, flaring out the right foot might help them.

Different strokes for different folks. 

Edited by Ks golf
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm about to head out to the course now. I'll definitely give this a shot. Seeing one of my main issues is not rotating my hips. Wish me luck! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

This site is a treasure trove of information.   every topic has something in there that can help improve my swing.  

• Upvote 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• 2 weeks later...

Great video as always. I noticed something in my swing after watching this.... I lead knee (left knee) turns in rather than forward which I assume would contribute to issues. Well I'm going to work on this at the range. 

• 11 months later...

So I've been struggling a little bit over the last couple of weeks with the game (HC is trending up, haven't been this high in a while).  Just wasn't striking the ball very well.  I was still scoring OK, but having to rely a lot on the short game from missing fairways and greens, but all scores were 78-82 range.  Went out yesterday on the course trying to figure out what i was doing.  Got behind our ladies Nine and Dine group, very slow, but allowed me to play around a little bit.  Finally after a few holes of hitting it poorly, I was standing on our fourth tee and it dawned on me after a couple of shots.  I looked at my stance and my feet were almost pointing in and then I remembered the foot flare from a TST thread and bingo, with the feet flared I started hitting the ball better immediately.   

Next 5 holes I flared the feet and what a remarkable difference.  Number 6 our 195 yard par 3, I hit 4 balls and all were on the green, not sure I've hit that green 4 times in a row ever.  Continued playing several balls on the rest of the holes and it was really quite remarkable how well I hit the ball.  Played the second 9 with a buddy of mine and shot 36 with a lip out birdie from 8 feet and a three-putt.  Thank you @mvmacand @iacas for all of the great tips!  

• Like 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator
1 minute ago, jsgolfer said:

Thank you @mvmacand @iacas for all of the great tips!

Thank you. To others, give this a try. Yes, it will feel awkward at first… but the benefits, the things you get "for free," are worth a little temporary "weird" feeling.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Thank you @mvmacand @iacas for all of the great tips!  

Happy it helped, just passing along good information 👍

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I've said this many times, I'll say it again, this website is unrivaled in its accuracy of research based instruction. There is glut of info based on time honored tradition, everything is put thru the ringer of analysis.

Thanks guys.

Edited by colin007
Spelling

Colin P.

• 3 months later...

The other day I was hitting balls, hitting a lot of weak pushes and "pop  flies to right field". i felt like i couldn't get out of my own way.. I was lining up with my feet square to the target linne.  Si i flared out both feet, and even pulled my left foot, back an inch or so. all of  sudden I was able to get my left hip out of the way and turn through the ball, and starting making solid contact, and hitting the ball more or less straight with some power.  The stance just felt more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

During my very first golf lesson, my instructor had me flare out my feet. The point of doing so was to help me on my turn which it absolutely did. But as the OP stated it has other benefits as well. This is definitely a good tip and has certainly helped my swing. A lot of the tips (possibly all of the tips) I have received in golf lessons are consistent with what @mvmacand @iacas post. I'm glad I found this site. It's an excellent resource. 

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

2 minutes ago, jimnm said:

A lot of the tips (possibly all of the tips) I have received in golf lessons are consistent with what @mvmacand @iacas post. I

You are exceptionally lucky then. Their instruction is backed with video analysis, pictures and tons of research . It’s one of the reasons I’ve stayed here for a good while. I’d say the majority of information I’ve received from lessons has turned out to be bogus. Anyway, glad you’re here and hope you continue to enjoy it  as much as I do.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

You are exceptionally lucky then. Their instruction is backed with video analysis, pictures and tons of research . It’s one of the reasons I’ve stayed here for a good while. I’d say the majority of information I’ve received from lessons has turned out to be bogus. Anyway, glad you’re here and hope you continue to enjoy it  as much as I do.

Lucky indeed! Thanks, and glad to be here. Cheers!

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

• 3 months later...

I definitely flare my feet. My front to 1 o'clock and my trail foot to 2 o'clock. For me it has completely eliminated coming over the top. I generally hit baby draws and my miss is a pull left so it also eliminates the right side of the course. I've found that my bad shots are always 1 of 2 things either I start with my hands too low or the I set up with the ball too far forward in my stance. I'm able to generate great power my drives and irons. Slightly over 300 with my driver 210ish with my 5 iron. Im 48yo 6ft and height weight proportional. I do have a slight duck walk naturally (1 o'clock). So I'm definitely a flared foot guy

This is a great read and has helped me understand my situation.  In 2016 I was in a motorcycle accident that degloved my left foot to where I had to have a tranmetatarsal amputation of all the toes. I retained the artch and part of the ball of my foot, however it has made life interesting.  In getting back into this game I have been wrestling with proper stance. I have found that by flaring my feet outward as noted in this thread, particularly my left foot, that my swing is smoother and more in control.  It feels natural and therefore I feel confident. I now know why it "felt better, smoother" the first time I tried it and why I will keep working along this line to improve my swing. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I have to say one more thing about this that I feel hasn't been addressed with this and that's stance width. My experimentation has led me find out that for me a wider stance with flared feet causes me not be able to shift my weight forward causing push slices and other terrible things. A narrow stance (feet under my hips not my shoulders) with my feet flared gives me great results but it gives the impression of a wider stance. I hadn't noticed anyone touch on this and I feel it's a critical piece to this puzzle

• Informative 1