IGNORED

Cutting the Cord…

turtleback

• Administrator
1 hour ago, k-troop said:

As for DirecTV NOW, they're having some issues.  I signed up for the 3-month prepay with a free Apple TV at the "launch" price of $35 for 100 channels.

Can you cancel after three months and keep the tv?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Can you cancel after three months and keep the tv?

Yes...it's an Apple TV streaming device though, not a TV.  (I assume you know this as you're tech savvy and an Apple guy, but just in case.)

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, k-troop said:

Yes...it's an Apple TV streaming device though, not a TV.  (I assume you know this as you're tech savvy and an Apple guy, but just in case.)

I said an AppleTV. I'm going to guess that you didn't see the "Apple" character:

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-01%20at%203.18.4

 <---- what do you see there? :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

I'm going to guess that you didn't see what I typed:

I'm on a PC at work and the Apple logo didn't display in your post.  Coincidence?

Kevin

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

I said an AppleTV. I'm going to guess that you didn't see the "Apple" character:

2016-12-01 15_29_47-Cutting the cord - Page 10 - Geek Zone - The Sand Trap .com.png

- Shane

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, k-troop said:

I'm on a PC at work and the Apple logo didn't display in your post.  Coincidence?

So, last time as it's not the topic :-D, what do you see left of my arrow? Boxes? White space/nothing? Other characters?

Oh, okay @CarlSpackler. Thanks.

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-01%20at%203.31.2

Back to the topic…

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

So, last time as it's not the topic :-D, what do you see left of my arrow? Boxes? White space/nothing? Other characters?

Oh, okay @CarlSpackler. Thanks.

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-01%20at%203.31.2

Back to the topic…

Yes, sorry--I saw white boxes.  In your first post it just showed up as space. 

Kevin

I'm seriously considering cancelling cable and getting PlayStation Vue.

For $34.95/month (plus $40/year for NFL Redzone) I can get nearly all the channels we actually watch.

- John

DirecTVNow update.

Day 2 was significantly better than Day 1.  I was able to watch for about 2 hours last night, scrolling between a handful of channels without issue.  They already corrected two of the wonky interface issues (one where the guide scroll would only let you scroll down the channels and then you had to scroll over to the program; another where the menu key wouldn't close out the menus but would back you all the way out of the app).  I only had a couple pixelations and buffering issues in the first few minutes of watching, and the video feed cut out completely once with a "video playback error" message. 

I watch on Apple TV, which appears to be the most error-free device for now.  Firestick users and Android/Google casters are still reporting a number of issues.

A few major glitches still remain.  (1) NBC can only be streamed on a mobile device or through an internet browser (and then really only on Chrome or IE11). Word is this is a tech issue AT&T intends to fix, but they haven't formally said this yet.  https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-now-beset-by-user-complaints-on-launch-day/.  (2) The VOD library is a joke.  (3) Web-based stream doesn't work on Safari.  (4) Multiple users still reporting issues with the Error 60 (exceeded your limit for simultaneous streams).

Really the biggest issue is that AT&T has made no effort, I mean NO EFFORT AT ALL to publicly address any of the users questions.  The only customer service or communications is through the AT&T Forums, and the employee contributors won't actually answer any questions.  They're incapable of answering technical questions (i.e. linking a post or article with PC instructions in response to Mac questions), and they REFUSE to answer substantive questions.  Examples:  in response to multiple posts about the Error 60, they've posted on the Forum "we fixed it" and link to a FAQ on the DirecTVNow site that simply states "Error 60 message means the user has exceeded the allowable number of streams" (completely ignoring the fact that the user's problem is that they're getting the error while only using ONE stream).  Another example is in response to the NBC issue, they simply state "NBC can only be streamed on mobile devices or through an internet browser".  They will not answer whether the unavailability on streaming devices is a technical glitch or a contract issue.

Kevin

• Administrator

I signed up just to get the free AppleTV. It saved me about $40 and I'd like to get one for my basement TV too.

I may never even try watching anything on DirecTVNow. :-)

I realize I'm paying more for TV than some cord cutters, but I appreciate the convenience. I appreciate that I can easily record my TV shows and watch them even when I'm out of the house. I appreciate that I can watch sports live, without any headaches. I appreciate that it's simple and virtually always works.

And I appreciate that my family knows how to do everything, and I don't have to spend hours each month re-educating them that they have to do this and this to watch this show, but this and this other thing to watch the other channel, and then something else to watch a show they previously recorded. If they can even record a show.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I signed up just to get the free AppleTV. It saved me about $40 and I'd like to get one for my basement TV too.

I realize I'm paying more for TV than some cord cutters, but I appreciate the convenience. I appreciate that I can easily record my TV shows and watch them even when I'm out of the house. I appreciate that I can watch sports live, without any headaches. I appreciate that it's simple and virtually always works.

And I appreciate that my family knows how to do everything, and I don't have to spend hours each month re-educating them that they have to do this and this to watch this show, but this and this other thing to watch the other channel, and then something else to watch a show they previously recorded. If they can even record a show.

I can't really argue with any of that.  I find that with Hulu we don't really have to record anything, but the rest of what you've said is certainly valid.  I had a really, really bad experience with Verizon FiOS in SoCal (which is probably why they're no longer in SoCal).  Terrible service, blackouts, faulty install, failures to show up, sent the wrong stuff.  Every issue was a minimum of an hour on the phone, and frequently it was 2+.  It sounds like I'm exaggerating but I'm not.  The cord cutting for me was about control.  And it's kinda fun trying out the new stuff, figuring out what's out there.

There was also this thing where the wife and I made a conscious decision to rid ourselves of every debt and bill that was possible to avoid without turning into cave-people. 

Kevin

4 hours ago, iacas said:

This is where I'm at as well. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

By the way, I've had great success with this Logitech Harmony 700 universal remote. Helped the family incredibly, as i reconfigure the system every couple weeks. It does all the magic of turning one component to HDMI1, another to HDMI3, make play button go to the correct component, and the volume for the receiver, etc.  You can program the names of each configuration to whatever you like (I have AppleTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, DVD, and Computer as "activities"). Bit pricey, but has been a godsend for the technically challenged in the family- especially as we cut the cord.IMG_0287.JPG

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

3 hours ago, k-troop said:

I can't really argue with any of that.  I find that with Hulu we don't really have to record anything, but the rest of what you've said is certainly valid.  I had a really, really bad experience with Verizon FiOS in SoCal (which is probably why they're no longer in SoCal).  Terrible service, blackouts, faulty install, failures to show up, sent the wrong stuff.  Every issue was a minimum of an hour on the phone, and frequently it was 2+.  It sounds like I'm exaggerating but I'm not.  The cord cutting for me was about control.  And it's kinda fun trying out the new stuff, figuring out what's out there.

There was also this thing where the wife and I made a conscious decision to rid ourselves of every debt and bill that was possible to avoid without turning into cave-people. 

I agree, to add, as a different type of use case, I'm so lazy, I can't even be bothered with the DVR, setting shows to record (and many times I was burned by bad scheduling info and didn't get a full recording or one at all), fast forwarding and rewinding through commercials plus the awful block letter closed captioning. I just want to do nothing in preparation to watch a show and when I want it, tap and it's there and I can jump directly to 0:37:00, not fast forward. The closed captioning options when you stream or download are much better.

There's also something about knowing what you want to watch and then getting it rather than just choosing from what's there, when I have a DVR, my viewing habits get repetitive and junky.

The on demand option on some DVRs are pretty awful too. No jumping around. Commercials. Sometimes it doesn't even work.

I may be overcompensating for getting old by trying harder to adopt new tech, but I am on YouTube a lot nowadays. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

14 hours ago, RandallT said:

By the way, I've had great success with this Logitech Harmony 700 universal remote. Helped the family incredibly, as i reconfigure the system every couple weeks. It does all the magic of turning one component to HDMI1, another to HDMI3, make play button go to the correct component, and the volume for the receiver, etc.  You can program the names of each configuration to whatever you like (I have AppleTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, DVD, and Computer as "activities"). Bit pricey, but has been a godsend for the technically challenged in the family- especially as we cut the cord.IMG_0287.JPG

I'll have to check that out. We have the 'multiple clicker syndrome' going on now.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

15 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I agree, to add, as a different type of use case, I'm so lazy, I can't even be bothered with the DVR, setting shows to record, fast forwarding and rewinding through commercials plus the awful block letter closed captioning. I just want to do nothing in preparation to watch a show and when I want it, tap and it's there and I can jump directly to 0:37:00, not fast forward. The closed captioning options when you stream or download are much better.

There's also something about knowing what you want to watch and then getting it rather than just choosing from what's there, when I have a DVR, my viewing habits get repetitive and junky.

The on demand option on some DVRs are pretty awful too. No jumping around. Commercials. Sometimes it doesn't even work.

I may be overcompensating for getting old by trying harder to adopt new tech, but I am on YouTube a lot nowadays. 

Another option is using a smartphone as a remote, something like AnyMote, the added benefit is when you lose your smartphone at home, the options to ping it are many. It's possible for you to control your STB, TV and streaming devices from your phone.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 1 month later...

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/3/14149476/dish-airtv-player-netflix-sling-tv-specs-ces-2017

Incorporating OTA local channels into a streaming box seems like a really smart idea to me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7