IGNORED

Cutting the Cord…

turtleback

We're cutting the cord this week. My cable+internet bill is now $148.86.............. Granted that gigabit fiber and fiber TV... but that's with ZERO extra channels or anything.

I looked at my bill this morning and there, no joke, $42.45 in surcharges, taxes, broadcast fees, and equipment costs... 

Yesterday we jumped back on Sling TV and it's made improvements since last we used it. With the blue plan plus the sports adder it's $35/month. They also have more news channels and have a "local" channels type option dictated by your region. So I may be able to get my local news broadcasters without an HDTV antennae, we'll see.

So I'm dropping the cable and paying a premium (non-combo) for fiber internet but it's still going to come out ~$50 less per month. 

My wife and I literally watch 3 channels or something. It's a joke paying for this crap.

In fact it may be utilizing our new 4k TV better because I think I can get full 4k through streaming. My cable box can't do that. I swear last night when I was using it the content looked sharper but maybe I was just tired lol (going back to school is killing me!).

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

We're cutting the cord this week. My cable+internet bill is now $148.86.............. Granted that gigabit fiber and fiber TV... but that's with ZERO extra channels or anything.

I looked at my bill this morning and there, no joke, $42.45 in surcharges, taxes, broadcast fees, and equipment costs... 

Yesterday we jumped back on Sling TV and it's made improvements since last we used it. With the blue plan plus the sports adder it's $35/month. They also have more news channels and have a "local" channels type option dictated by your region. So I may be able to get my local news broadcasters without an HDTV antennae, we'll see.

So I'm dropping the cable and paying a premium (non-combo) for fiber internet but it's still going to come out ~$50 less per month. 

My wife and I literally watch 3 channels or something. It's a joke paying for this crap.

In fact it may be utilizing our new 4k TV better because I think I can get full 4k through streaming. My cable box can't do that. I swear last night when I was using it the content looked sharper but maybe I was just tired lol (going back to school is killing me!).

I'm going on a couple months of cord cutting now, my cable bill now is $140 (Fios Internet + PS Vue + CBS All Access), instead of $280 I was paying for the last 4 years.  My wife didn't like it at first, but she is finally starting to get along with it.  I love it, 64 channels is plenty with the PS Vue (if I didn't want the golf channel I could lower my bill even more), it's got pretty much everything I watch.  Plus you can watch so many shows on demand the next day.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

We're finding out that SlingTV isn't perfect, even on a hard-wired gigabit fiber internet connection. 

For some reason it also crashes every 2 hours or so. The TV just goes black, but it's not off. If I hit the back button it goes back to the menu. But it will just stay black if I don't do anything. 

I'm also getting irritated that when it gets near the end of a show (last 30 seconds) it will drop the framerate and quality hard and lag for a few seconds. Then it'll pick back up and finish out the episode/show or whatever.

The guide menu is also pretty terrible. The "ON NOW" sub menu takes like 30 seconds to pull or or won't pull up at all. Just the wheel of death. 

Lastly, the interface isn't great. It was much worse before... but it's still not great. The menu also hangs up sometimes where it won't let me click down into sub menus. I have to get the magic remote smart mouse out and click somewhere and then it'll let me click through.

I'm not expecting it to be equal to cable at $50/mo less. I can tolerate quiet a bit of crap for a $50 savings. Like the streaming quality in-and-out near the beginning of a stream where the audio/video is bad but then it ramps up. That's not an issue for me because I understand what it's doing.

Anyone else experience this? 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

3 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

Good idea for those of us who have cut the cord to list all the downsides. We are definitely getting a growing list in our house, as the new setup becomes part of how we live. We use Roku, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime- and we dropped Verizon Fios cable service. I'll try to boil it down soon as I've gotta duck into an appt.

But like u, we saved $50ish but there are things we hafta live with now.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

19 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

We're finding out that SlingTV isn't perfect, even on a hard-wired gigabit fiber internet connection. 

For some reason it also crashes every 2 hours or so. The TV just goes black, but it's not off. If I hit the back button it goes back to the menu. But it will just stay black if I don't do anything. 

I'm also getting irritated that when it gets near the end of a show (last 30 seconds) it will drop the framerate and quality hard and lag for a few seconds. Then it'll pick back up and finish out the episode/show or whatever.

The guide menu is also pretty terrible. The "ON NOW" sub menu takes like 30 seconds to pull or or won't pull up at all. Just the wheel of death. 

Lastly, the interface isn't great. It was much worse before... but it's still not great. The menu also hangs up sometimes where it won't let me click down into sub menus. I have to get the magic remote smart mouse out and click somewhere and then it'll let me click through.

I'm not expecting it to be equal to cable at $50/mo less. I can tolerate quiet a bit of crap for a $50 savings. Like the streaming quality in-and-out near the beginning of a stream where the audio/video is bad but then it ramps up. That's not an issue for me because I understand what it's doing.

At the beginning we had some hiccups, but it's been working well recently.  My wife complains, at times, about some reloading of shows.  But she hasn't mentioned anything about the slow lag time towards the end of the shows.  I haven't noticed that either, but I have PS VUE, not Sling TV.  I'll ask my Dad, he has sling TV  and hasn't mentioned that he is having these problems.

I don't like the interface with the roku devices we have with the PS Vue, but the interface with my PS4 is great.  What I really like with the ROKU is the access to all of my Apps to watch shows on channels that I don't get, better than the PS4.  I'm saving over $100 a month right now, everything so far are minor irritations.   

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Hulu Beta live subscription last night.   I was reading the details and the ABC and NBC channels will be on demand and not live.   I get that now.   They do have the ESPN, and other sports channels including the Golf Channel but I get that now.  The only advantage I see for myself is live CBS.   I'll wait and see the Youtube brings. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

5 hours ago, nevets88 said:

This would be the first good reason for me to upgrade from a third generation AppleTV to the fourth generation. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 2 months later...

My Dad has just switched to the YouTube TV service and dropped Sling so that he can get all of the local channels.  So far he likes it, other than he has to hook his computer up to the TV as he doesn't have a GoogleCast and there isn't an app yet so he can use the Roku he has.   

If they get a ROKU app I might change, as it would make my wife happy to have all the local channels, without having to navigate to the CBS all-access app.

-Jerry

My wife would love the CBS all-access to watch her shows but we are surviving w/o.   I may spring for that this fall.   

44 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

My Dad has just switched to the YouTube TV service and dropped Sling so that he can get all of the local channels.  So far he likes it, other than he has to hook his computer up to the TV as he doesn't have a GoogleCast and there isn't an app yet so he can use the Roku he has.   

If they get a ROKU app I might change, as it would make my wife happy to have all the local channels, without having to navigate to the CBS all-access app.

He told me about it on Sunday, I may look into it as well if they do a ROKU app, will have to research more. There is something else out I hear some morning talk radio guys in area rave about called a Ballz box or something like that and it's supposed to have everything on it, free and legal, although I am confused as to how. 

Edited by Gator Hazard

5 hours ago, dennyjones said:

My wife would love the CBS all-access to watch her shows but we are surviving w/o.   I may spring for that this fall.   

It's $9.99/month and keeps the peace, but YouTube tv has all of the local channels.  So I'm hoping they have a roku app soon

-Jerry

You know,  I pay for cable because I have the option to watch.  The Open was the first time I used tv that was not watching you tube in maybe a month?

I like knowing it's there,  even if tv is not my thing.

28 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

It's $9.99/month and keeps the peace, but YouTube tv has all of the local channels.  So I'm hoping they have a roku app soon

I haven't done any research into the CBS all-access.  Can it be used on multiple TVs?  $9.99 is very doable.  

I checked the  YouTube TV site and they couldn't get my zip code right.   When I entered my correct zip code, they told me I had to wait until I got home to apply.   Go figure.   I would still want to use the Roku.   It has so many other options including watching the Golf channel

25 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I haven't done any research into the CBS all-access.  Can it be used on multiple TVs?  $9.99 is very doable.  

I checked the  YouTube TV site and they couldn't get my zip code right.   When I entered my correct zip code, they told me I had to wait until I got home to apply.   Go figure.   I would still want to use the Roku.   It has so many other options including watching the Golf channel

Yes, you can use CBS all-access on multiple tv's and devices.  

I may have to see if I can do the YouTube tv through the PS4.

-Jerry

Am I missing something - Roku has CBS All Access, no? 

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/31440/cbs-all-access

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I recently purchased the Firestick with Kodi installed.
It's a bit of a learning curve to navigate streams, but I've read it's capable of watching
many things. The other night I watched Kidnapped and have viewed several sporting events.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!