IGNORED

Cutting the Cord…

turtleback

I've now been a cord cutter for exactly a year, and have lived through nearly an entire football season.  I'm doing a reset based on what I've learned this year, and I'll share my setup and observations for comment.

I've got a 100/100 FiOS connection.  We paid $60/month for the first 12 months but I was just notified we're going up to $70/month (I think the router rental was free for the first year).  For streaming we use a mac mini (connected to a 28-inch monitor which makes for a good 2nd football screen in the living room), 2 TVs with 4th Gen Apple TVs, 1 TV with an older Apple TV (used mostly by the kids watching Hulu, Youtube, iTunes, and PBS Kids), and an iPad (used a lot by the kids watching various video streams).  For the most part we get good streams, though I've noticed intermittent buffering most often when we have 3 streams going simultaneously.

I also have an OTA connected to 1 TV (in the room the kids mostly use), but I only use it for a football game I can't get on ESPN or one of my Sling network channels.  I put it there because that's the only room in the house that gets a good OTA signal (at least on an indoor antenna).

I was very close to purchasing a rooftop antenna and a Tablo that would stream to all of my TVs (over Apple TV).  It was going to cost me about $500 in setup costs (gear and lifetime Tablo subscription), plus the work to mount the antenna and run any cabling inside.  This would have given me live and recorded OTA in every room; I ultimately ditched this plan because I could get 3 of the 4 major networks (plus a lot more) with Sling + CBS All Access for $30 a month, and I'm hoping Hulu's live service coming out in 2017 will provide even more options.

For content we use Hulu Plus, Sling Blue (Fox, FX, NBC, FS1, TNT, TBS, Food, Travel, and HGTV are watched most often), and I have a "borrowed" login for WatchESPN that is becoming less useful.  That combo costs $33/month.  I intermittently subscribe to Showtime (for a month at a time to binge on a few shows) and CBS All Access (e.g. for the Masters); I've probably paid for each about 3 months over the last year at a total cost of $50.  That brings the total average cost of my "cable" to $38/month (plus internet connection).

ABC is the least stream-friendly network.  I really like CBS All Access (particularly when there were several PGA Tour events on CBS this year), but I enabled it last week specifically for an NFL Game and then was reminded that the NFL doesn't allow live streaming of games except through the Sunday Ticket package with DirectTV.  

Having one TV in the house that gets all four major OTA networks is important.  If the internet gets overloaded, or I need that NFL game on CBS, I can always go down to the kids room. 

It's really cool to enable/disable HBO and Showtime access whenever I want.  You can open up a wholecrapload of really good content by alternating HBO and Showtime each month.  Key:  each time you enable HBO or Showtime, immediately pull up settings in the App store and "cancel" so it doesn't auto-renew.

I'm really hoping Hulu's spring launch opens up 2 networks + ESPN + all of their current content in one interface.  That would be AWESOME!!  (Based on my estimated watching appetite below, Hulu a price of about $40/month would make this a really good deal for me.)

Pending something game-changing with Hulu's spring launch, here's how I expect to set up for 2016.

Feb-Aug:  Sling Orange + CBS All Access + Hulu Plus.  $34/mo.  This gives me ESPN/2/3, plus enough background noise channels (Travel, Food, TBS, HGTV), plus one network for local news.  If there's something specific on one of the networks that I "need" I have the antenna downstairs.

Sept-Jan:  Sling Orange & Blue + Hulu Plus.  $48/mo.  This gives me ESPN/2/3, Fox, FS1, NBC, NBCSN for maximum football.  Loses CBS, but that can always be added back in for $6 if I miss it too much.

4 months each (estimated) as needed based on shows I like and time available:  HBO & Showtime.  Total cost $104.

Averaged monthly cost for all of this over the course of the year:  $48.  It occurs to me that this isn't a huge savings over what I would spend with a normal cable package (I'm guessing about $60 on top of my current internet bill).  However, this allows me to get what I want when I want it.  I don't have to deal with cable boxes or cable companies.  And I get to sprinkle in some Showtime and HBO--I wouldn't pay for either (let alone both) through cable at a contract price of $120-150/year.

Finally, I'm probably overlooking a ton of web-based content.  I have a mac mini in my living room that's only a 10' HDMI cable away from my main TV.  I need to leverage that for golf content next year.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, k-troop said:

I've now been a cord cutter for exactly a year, and have lived through nearly an entire football season.  I'm doing a reset based on what I've learned this year, and I'll share my setup and observations for comment.

I've got a 100/100 FiOS connection.  We paid $60/month for the first 12 months but I was just notified we're going up to $70/month (I think the router rental was free for the first year).  For streaming we use a mac mini (connected to a 28-inch monitor which makes for a good 2nd football screen in the living room), 2 TVs with 4th Gen Apple TVs, 1 TV with an older Apple TV (used mostly by the kids watching Hulu, Youtube, iTunes, and PBS Kids), and an iPad (used a lot by the kids watching various video streams).  For the most part we get good streams, though I've noticed intermittent buffering most often when we have 3 streams going simultaneously.

I also have an OTA connected to 1 TV (in the room the kids mostly use), but I only use it for a football game I can't get on ESPN or one of my Sling network channels.  I put it there because that's the only room in the house that gets a good OTA signal (at least on an indoor antenna).

I was very close to purchasing a rooftop antenna and a Tablo that would stream to all of my TVs (over Apple TV).  It was going to cost me about $500 in setup costs (gear and lifetime Tablo subscription), plus the work to mount the antenna and run any cabling inside.  This would have given me live and recorded OTA in every room; I ultimately ditched this plan because I could get 3 of the 4 major networks (plus a lot more) with Sling + CBS All Access for $30 a month, and I'm hoping Hulu's live service coming out in 2017 will provide even more options.

For content we use Hulu Plus, Sling Blue (Fox, FX, NBC, FS1, TNT, TBS, Food, Travel, and HGTV are watched most often), and I have a "borrowed" login for WatchESPN that is becoming less useful.  That combo costs $33/month.  I intermittently subscribe to Showtime (for a month at a time to binge on a few shows) and CBS All Access (e.g. for the Masters); I've probably paid for each about 3 months over the last year at a total cost of $50.  That brings the total average cost of my "cable" to $38/month (plus internet connection).

ABC is the least stream-friendly network.  I really like CBS All Access (particularly when there were several PGA Tour events on CBS this year), but I enabled it last week specifically for an NFL Game and then was reminded that the NFL doesn't allow live streaming of games except through the Sunday Ticket package with DirectTV.  

Having one TV in the house that gets all four major OTA networks is important.  If the internet gets overloaded, or I need that NFL game on CBS, I can always go down to the kids room. 

It's really cool to enable/disable HBO and Showtime access whenever I want.  You can open up a wholecrapload of really good content by alternating HBO and Showtime each month.  Key:  each time you enable HBO or Showtime, immediately pull up settings in the App store and "cancel" so it doesn't auto-renew.

I'm really hoping Hulu's spring launch opens up 2 networks + ESPN + all of their current content in one interface.  That would be AWESOME!!  (Based on my estimated watching appetite below, Hulu a price of about $40/month would make this a really good deal for me.)

Pending something game-changing with Hulu's spring launch, here's how I expect to set up for 2016.

Feb-Aug:  Sling Orange + CBS All Access + Hulu Plus.  $34/mo.  This gives me ESPN/2/3, plus enough background noise channels (Travel, Food, TBS, HGTV), plus one network for local news.  If there's something specific on one of the networks that I "need" I have the antenna downstairs.

Sept-Jan:  Sling Orange & Blue + Hulu Plus.  $48/mo.  This gives me ESPN/2/3, Fox, FS1, NBC, NBCSN for maximum football.  Loses CBS, but that can always be added back in for $6 if I miss it too much.

4 months each (estimated) as needed based on shows I like and time available:  HBO & Showtime.  Total cost $104.

Averaged monthly cost for all of this over the course of the year:  $48.  It occurs to me that this isn't a huge savings over what I would spend with a normal cable package (I'm guessing about $60 on top of my current internet bill).  However, this allows me to get what I want when I want it.  I don't have to deal with cable boxes or cable companies.  And I get to sprinkle in some Showtime and HBO--I wouldn't pay for either (let alone both) through cable at a contract price of $120-150/year.

Finally, I'm probably overlooking a ton of web-based content.  I have a mac mini in my living room that's only a 10' HDMI cable away from my main TV.  I need to leverage that for golf content next year.

See this guy? He's doing it right. This is how you do it. Cancelling/resubscribing is just taps and clicks, no dealing with anyone on the phone.

I have a Mac Mini attached to the TV and don't really stream much through the web anymore, the gap between what you can stream from a streaming device and on a full fledged browser is narrowing, although content like Charlie Rose is browser only. Will play videos ripped from Blu-rays or downloaded, like golf instruction, classroom/lectures or news programs, like the Newshour or Washington Week. There is lots of interesting free video content available via iTunes.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

As I assess my options for 2017...

It would be really awesome if professional golf could get on some kind of coherent plan for broadcast rights.  CBS has the Masters, Fox the US Open, and NBC the British.  The rest of the PGA Tour schedule is some combination of NBC & CBS, with a smattering of TBS, TNT, ESPN, and who knows what else.

At least there's no ABC in there AFAIK.  ABC is currently the worst for streaming live TV.  (Although if ABC picked up golf, would it stream simultaneously on WatchESPN?  I've heard rumors that the PGA Tour is considering scrapping it's current network deals with CBS & NBC.)

Kevin

23 hours ago, k-troop said:

What is your total bill for content + internet? It sounds like $48 + $70 , = $118. Is that correct ?
If so not sure it's worth the trouble. That's about what we pay to Charter.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

26 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

What is your total bill for content + internet? It sounds like $48 + $70 , = $118. Is that correct ?

If @k-troop got the same content from cable, would have paid more. With cable, you're locked in with fewer customization options. He's paying for sports when the season is on, not during offseason. It's much more granular. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

41 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Yeah, as I noted at the end I'm not sure I'm "saving" a lot of money.  But, there are some differences to account for (my last cable company was Verizon FiOS in SoCal)--

1. I have HD & on demand in as many places as I want it (it takes me less than 2 minutes to take the TV from my gym and set it up on my back porch).  Verizon was charging me $10/box for HD; $15/box for HD + DVR, and I was limited by cable outlets.  Yes, I paid for the Apple TVs, but they're mine.  And they do a whole lot more for me than just play my cable package.

2. I have HBO and Showtime factored into my price.  My last cable company, 2 HD/DVR boxes + HBO would have cost $40 alone (and that's on top of the $35 basic HD package).  If you're getting that for $119 then you have a MUCH better cable option than I had in California.

3.  I know exactly what I'm paying for.  I didn't buy a $89 "bundle" package, only to get a bill for $125 that jumps to $150 after 12 months.

4. I'm probably paying for more internet than I need.  I'm not sure how much more, but probably more.

5. I don't have to deal with a cable company.  At all.  I can add, delete, or shut off content with the click of a mouse.

6. I'll bet in addition to your Charter bill you also pay for at least one streaming subscription (Netflix, Hulu, etc.).  If you don't, I'll bet you rent a lot of on-demand content.  If you do neither of these, then you don't use content the same way we do in our household so it's not a direct comparison.

7. I can't overstate how much I hated dealing with Verizon over content.  I wanted to add the Golf Channel during the majors season.  It took me 3 hours on the phone and two different package upgrades.  Then my wife and I went on a week vacation; when we got back the channel still wasn't activated.  Another 3 hour phonecall, and two days later, it was on--but I missed most of the US Open coverage.  And guess what?  I had to call them back in August to shut it off (because I was paying out the a$$ for their premier package just to get the GC, and I didn't want to keep doing that).  If I wanted to do that now I'd just log into Sling and add the golf channel (a $10 add-on to their blue package).

I'll add that there was a learning curve and I think I have a pretty good handle on it now.  But I can see the future of streaming, and it's only going to get simpler, more integrated, and hopefully cheaper and more customizable as more providers get on board with streaming.

Kevin

6 minutes ago, k-troop said:

Yeah, as I noted at the end I'm not sure I'm "saving" a lot of money.  But, there are some differences to account for (my last cable company was Verizon FiOS in SoCal)--

1. I have HD & on demand in as many places as I want it (it takes me less than 2 minutes to take the TV from my gym and set it up on my back porch).  Verizon was charging me $10/box and I was limited by cable outlets.  Yes, I paid for the Apple TVs, but they're mine.  And they do a whole lot more for me than just play my cable package.

2. I have HBO and Showtime factored into my price.  My last cable company, 2 HD/DVR boxes + HBO would have cost $40 alone (and that's on top of the $35 basic HD package).  If you're getting that for $119 then you have a MUCH better cable option than I had in California.

3.  I know exactly what I'm paying for.  I didn't buy a $89 "bundle" package, only to get a bill for $125 that jumps to $150 after 12 months.

4. I'm probably paying for more internet than I need.  I'm not sure how much more, but probably more.

5. I don't have to deal with a cable company.  At all.  I can add, delete, or shut off content with the click of a mouse.

6. I'll bet in addition to your Charter bill you also pay for at least one streaming subscription (Netflix, Hulu, etc.).  If you don't, I'll bet you rent a lot of on-demand content.  If you do neither of these, then you don't use content the same way we do in our household so it's not a direct comparison.

7. I can't overstate how much I hated dealing with Verizon over content.  I wanted to add the Golf Channel during the majors season.  It took me 3 hours on the phone and two different package upgrades.  Then my wife and I went on a week vacation; when we got back the channel still wasn't activated.  Another 3 hour phonecall, and two days later, it was on--but I missed most of the US Open coverage.  And guess what?  I had to call them back in August to shut it off (because I was paying out the a$$ for their premier package just to get the GC, and I didn't want to keep doing that).  If I wanted to do that now I'd just log into Sling and add the golf channel (a $10 add-on to their blue package).

I'll add that there was a learning curve and I think I have a pretty good handle on it now.  But I can see the future of streaming, and it's only going to get simpler, more integrated, and hopefully cheaper and more customizable as more providers get on board with streaming.

OK I get it. You like control over what you get and hate Verizon. I don't blame you. I feel the same way about AT&T. By the way did you see that AT&T announced their own new streaming service yesterday called DIrecTV NOW? 

Seems like they are a bit behind VUE and Sling.

17 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

OK I get it. You like control over what you get and hate Verizon. I don't blame you. I feel the same way about AT&T. By the way did you see that AT&T announced their own new streaming service yesterday called DIrecTV NOW? 

Exactly. 

All of the telecoms are working right now to try to figure out how to package streaming content so they don't lose too much money.  Sling is owned by Dish.  Google is trying to launch streaming through YouTube.  I read recently that CBS is partnering with someone. 

ABC, Fox, and NBC each own 30% of Hulu, which is why I think their live streaming service set to launch this spring could be a major game-changer.  They've already delayed it a few times and they've supposedly signed content agreements with ABC, Disney, ESPN, Fox (and affiliated brands), and NBC.  Hulu also has the best on-demand streaming service for network content (though Netflix is better for movies and original shows).

If the networks get on board, the next major trap is data.  If they (the telecoms) decide to shut down the pipes and/or charge per unit of data, then cord cutting could get really expensive for guys like me.  Hopefully that won't be allowed to happen.

Kevin

55 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

OK I get it. You like control over what you get and hate Verizon. I don't blame you. I feel the same way about AT&T. By the way did you see that AT&T announced their own new streaming service yesterday called DirecTV NOW

I wasn't paying much attention to this because I've been waiting for the Hulu release, but wow.  It doesn't look like the page is active yet, but 100 channels for $35/month (part of their launch offer, but that price is good for as long as you remain a subscriber) PLUS a free Apple TV sounds awesome.  If that deal includes ESPN/2/3 and 3 networks then I will be a DirectTV NOW subscriber very soon. 

I'm paid up with Sling through late December, but I will definitely look into this over the next few weeks and very well may pull the trigger at the first of the year.  I'll let you all know how it goes.

HOLY COW!!!  I just saw a sneaked image (because the link to their website is non-functioning) here

http://gizmodo.com/directv-now-makes-more-than-100-streaming-channels-avai-1789440342

that seems to imply that for $35 during their launch period you can get all the major networks and their affiliated channels (minus CBS), and all of the regional and conference sports networks, AND THE GOLF CHANNEL!!!  And HBO is only a $5 add-on (as opposed to $15 on Sling).

I AM SOLD!!  Thanks @gregsandiego for posting this.  Not sure how I missed it.  I'll definitely be pre-paying 3 months ($105) to get a free 4th GEN Apple TV (which costs $160).  Anyone want to buy two 3rd GEN Apple TVs?

sww9chllcnsmvwmggwav.png

Kevin

Wow

My net is £18 per month, and I stream everything through Kodi on a paid subscription costing me £1 a week, Every golf tournament, Every football(soccer) match, NFL/NBa/MLB galore on there although I dont watch it, I've watched the two new episodes of the Grand Tour in HD without having to sign up to Amazon Prime to watch it

Whilst admittedly streaming through Kodi has taken me a few months to get used to the software, setting it up to stream live TV correctly etc then net result is simply out-standing, the subscription I signed up to also allows me to stream via an app on my iphone which is ideal when the misses is watching the Tele but I want to watch the golf 

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

DirecTV Now launch is a disaster (i signed up this morning).  The app isn't actually available on iTunes yet.  It won't stream on my mac (I'm running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6 and Safari 10.0.1) even though I meet the system, OS, and browser requirements.  It says you're supposed to download Silverlight to support their plug-in.  Well, I downloaded it and it still won't work.

They don't have a customer service contact.  They have online chat (all chatters busy) and att forums.  There's not even a way to report issues.

I know it's a launch, but this is freaking AT&T, not some startup.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Steve

33 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Wow, that's a game changer imo. In fact, that's a pretty large leap for the streaming industry as a whole.

It's always been "illegal download vs. stream" for many years now. With the option to download at no additional cost (even if just a few episodes of x amount of stream time or whatever) this would really be great in preparation for traveling and such. The biggest one being flying, since that internet cost is bananas (and frustrating). 

Thanks for the heads up :)

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

3 hours ago, k-troop said:

DirecTV Now launch is a disaster (i signed up this morning).  The app isn't actually available on iTunes yet.  It won't stream on my mac (I'm running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6 and Safari 10.0.1) even though I meet the system, OS, and browser requirements.  It says you're supposed to download Silverlight to support their plug-in.  Well, I downloaded it and it still won't work.

They don't have a customer service contact.  They have online chat (all chatters busy) and att forums.  There's not even a way to report issues.

Thanks for the update. I just cut the cord on Verizon's cable service (still have the Fios internet). I use both Apple TV (have had for a while), and I am using the lower-end Roku stick to give me access to Hulu and Amazon prime.

I saw the AT&T offering, but was curious to see how it is going in the real world. I suppose give it some time.

The main thing I'm disappointed in is the Mohu leaf I purchased. I went for a cheaper one, figuring that I live in the DC Metro area, and there are bound to be good signals. I checked the sites mentioned above, and it seems like I should get good reception based on my address. So far, after a channel scan, I really only get NBC. Odd because I used to work near NBC in DC, and the CBS studio is literally a couple blocks from there, so I figure they broadcast from nearly identical locations.  But to get CBS, I need to orient the antenna differently. Probably time to splurge and get a better antenna (amplified one?). No rush, because we don't find ourselves watching much live TV these days.

Clarification update: I do get a fair number of off-the-beaten-path channels over the air, but none that I'd really watch. Old tv/movie channels, ethnic channels, shopping channels. Stuff that I'm surprised gets far better signals than the big networks. Seems to me that the major networks are broadcasting over the air, but they're not doing it very effectively at the moment. If I were more cynical, I'd wonder if the cable companies are encouraging them somehow to not make it easier to cut the cord.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

30 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Thanks for the update. I just cut the cord on Verizon's cable service (still have the Fios internet). I use both Apple TV (have had for a while), and I am using the lower-end Roku stick to give me access to Hulu and Amazon prime.

I saw the AT&T offering, but was curious to see how it is going in the real world. I suppose give it some time.

The main thing I'm disappointed in is the Mohu leaf I purchased. I went for a cheaper one, figuring that I live in the DC Metro area, and there are bound to be good signals. I checked the sites mentioned above, and it seems like I should get good reception based on my address. So far, after a channel scan, I really only get NBC. Odd because I used to work near NBC in DC, and the CBS studio is literally a couple blocks from there, so I figure they broadcast from nearly identical locations.  But to get CBS, I need to orient the antenna differently. Probably time to splurge and get a better antenna (amplified one?). No rush, because we don't find ourselves watching much live TV these days.

Clarification update: I do get a fair number of off-the-beaten-path channels over the air, but none that I'd really watch. Old tv/movie channels, ethnic channels, shopping channels. Stuff that I'm surprised gets far better signals than the big networks. Seems to me that the major networks are broadcasting over the air, but they're not doing it very effectively at the moment. If I were more cynical, I'd wonder if the cable companies are encouraging them somehow to not make it easier to cut the cord.

I have an indoor antenna as well (I'm in Gaithersburg, MD).  We have TVs in three rooms:  our front living room/kitchen, our back living room & kids play room, and the basement gym.  I get 1, 2, or 3 networks in the front living room (depending on the weather), but consistently get all four in the kids room so that's where it stays.  It's a good backup when I want to watch a college game that's only available on (i.e.) CBS (because I get NBC and Fox on Sling, and ABC games on WatchESPN). 

Update on DirecTV Now.  I just found a workaround on the at&t forums section to get the app.  You have to use the direct link for the DirecTV Now app in iTunes; it won't show up when you search in iTunes on either iPhone or Apple TV.  I downloaded it on my phone and it works.  I should be able to find it in the "purchases" section of my Apple TV when I get home.  Apparently the web-based stream works with Chrome.  I can see already that Fox local broadcast streams live, ABC appears to be hidden (which is the same as Sling for my area), and the channel shows up for NBC but there's a problem with the stream.  I'm guessing once the bugs get worked out I'll get Fox and NBC, which is the same as Sling.

I will put this thing through the paces over the next few days and provide updates.  I currently have Sling (have had for about 10 weeks) so I'll be able to make a pretty good direct comparison.  My concerns are live major network broadcasts, expanded basic availability (TBS, TNT, Travel, etc.), on-demand content, ESPN (and WatchESPN compatibility), multiple-device streaming, and user interface.

This is day 1 of their launch, so I expect bugs.  Once the bugs work out, If I get Fox, NBC, ESPN/2/3, WatchESPN, Golf Channel, and a handful of expanded basic cable channels I'll count this as a huge win at $35/month.  The free 4th Gen Apple TV is just gravy (I needed one more 4th Gen anyway).

Kevin

18 hours ago, k-troop said:

I work in a related industry and have tried all 4 providers (now down to 3) available at my house. AT&T was the one that gave me the most grief with their U-verse. At the time AT&T was merging  old and new AT&T.  My bill was going to the wrong place. So I accumulated a credit at one and was getting threatening letters from the other.

It took forever to reach a real person on the phone, and if you did you could never get that same person again if there was unfinished business.

I think I sent them certified mail and a fax stating my position and told them to reference it if there were questions. It didn't help but made me  feel better.

Yeah that's freaking AT&T.

Oh, and Silverlight? if YouTube and Netflix don't need it why does AT&T? Just more bloatware.

Steve

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

HBO $15 for Amazon Prime members.

I'm pretty sure that's what it costs via in-app purchase on Apple TV.  Showtime is $10.99.

As for DirecTV NOW, they're having some issues.  I signed up for the 3-month prepay with a free Apple TV at the "launch" price of $35 for 100 channels.  (I can still quit within the 7-day trial period and pay nothing, but I don't think I will.)  It's supposed to include ABC, Fox, NBC, Fox affiliates, ESPN, a host of regional sports channels, and the expanded basic cable usual suspects. 

The good.  The interface is better than sling:  it has an actual guide and will allow you to scroll through the channel guide while watching whatever channel you're on.  The transition between channels is pretty quick and simple when doing it this way.  Getting into a specific channel to view VOD is about the same as any other app.  Picture quality is great.  The Golf Channel streamed beautifully, and I was able to watch Tiger getting reps as I made dinner last night.  :banana:

The bad...where do I start?  For starters, the DirecTV Now app couldn't be located by searching in the App store all day yesterday.  The web-based platform won't stream reliably in Safari (they say it will, and there is anecdotal evidence of it working, but it wouldn't work on mine and dozens of complaints in the att.forums).  (I downloaded Chrome and it worked fine.)  The service is limited to 2 simultaneous streams (and I achieved that yesterday), but there is a recurring and rampant error (the dreaded Error 60) where it stops your stream and tells you you've exceeded your maximum number of streams, even if you're only watching on one device.  (This happened to me about every 5 minutes during prime-time viewing last night.)  There is a little bit of disconnect between the video and audio streams (I experience this in Sling sometimes; can be corrected by changing the channel and going back).  When you're watching a program and a menu pops up (i.e. you inadvertently swipe the touchpad on Siri remote) it's difficult to make it go away again.  The VOD library is non existent.  There was basically no customer service to cover the launch.

The really bad starts when you get into local Network channels.  ABC is part of the package "where available", but like Sling that's really just two cities.  NBC is "available in a lot of areas (including mine just north of Metro DC), but it won't play on a streaming device.  That's right:  a streaming service, designed to be used as a cable replacement, won't play a Network channel on an Apple TV, Roku, or Firestick.  (You can view NBC on your mobile device or over the web.)

There are also a ton of issues with location services and some folks not getting channels that are part of their package.  I had issues yesterday with the History Channel popping up as "unavailable in my area" which is stupid.

Overall the big issues are:

1. NBC stream limited to mobile devices and web browser.

2. Error 60 (exceeded your allowable number of streams) makes the service essentially unwatchable at peak times. 

3. VOD library is a joke.

If they can fix this, DirecTV Now will be far superior to Sling IMO.

Kevin