turtleback

Cutting the Cord…

278 posts in this topic Last Reply

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Local blocking?

That’s possible. Comcast calling me tomorrow and I’m gonna see we what I can get done. The chat tech of course couldn’t help but he seemed to say if I go with internet only I’ll get the slower speed...that only high speeds come with bundle. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

That’s possible. Comcast calling me tomorrow and I’m gonna see we what I can get done. The chat tech of course couldn’t help but he seemed to say if I go with internet only I’ll get the slower speed...that only high speeds come with bundle. 

That would suck.   I have Charter / Spectrum and they didn't have any trouble with me just buying internet service although it was a few dollars higher than the bundle price.  I just measured 117.9 Mb/s / 11.3 Mb/s.   I pay about $65 / month for just internet.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

That would suck.   I have Charter / Spectrum and they didn't have any trouble with me just buying internet service although it was a few dollars higher than the bundle price.  I just measured 117.9 Mb/s / 11.3 Mb/s.   I pay about $65 / month for just internet.

Yeah I think my other option here is SmartCity. If Xfinity won’t work with me I may just dump it all and switch to them as I know they have internet only. I average 165-180 Mbps. I wanted the Gigabit plan but my area isn’t wired for fiber optic. My plan says 400 Mbps and I don’t expect that but over 200 less? I dunno ...it’s all a bit annoying.

Dumped phone and cable, getting just innerwebz with Spectrum, using an IPTV called Vader Streams which is like 4..7 billion channels including movie channels for $15/month 

I was finally able to dump the TV package and just keep my internet service with Xfinity. I have Netflix, AP and Hulu. I use Hulu for sports mostly, Netflix for originals/movies and Prime for the same. So much out there now with DirectTV direct, YouTube, etc.. It’s hard to know what the best/economical set up is to cover everything you may want.

My daughter just texted me and said Amazon Prime now has some live sports.    She was watching the Phoenix Open..

I can't verify this currently.....

Edited by dennyjones

34 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

My daughter just texted me and said Amazon Prime now has some live sports.    She was watching the Phoenix Open..

I can't verify this currently.....

That is an affirmative. I'm not subscribed to PGA Tour Live on Amazon, maybe this is a promotion? This is from a desktop computer, dunno how it looks on a streaming device. I've seen NFL links while jumping around searching the catalog on the Roku though.

I think golf has been losing viewers like me, I will not watch regular events live, because, well, have gone through that a bazillion times, but if I'm out and about and have ten minutes here or there, I will spin up Amazon Prime on my whatever portable device and have it in the background or just pay attention when they hit a shot.

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 5.50.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 5.51.43 PM.png

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

PGA Tour Live

I subscribed a few years back and enjoyed watching early featured groups before GC coverage in the afternoon.
Also I liked watching rounds on my phone in the afternoon while playing.

They had great coverage for the US Open with less commercials.
The announcers were ok, but no on course updates. 
I could also watch their broadcast and tv coverage for more coverage.

I did noticed they up the price the other day to $65 for the year.
It was a great deal at $30 plus they gave a $30 credit for Golf Now use back then.