IGNORED

Graphite/Steel Shafts for Irons?

ChvyKc
Note: This thread is 5579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What type of shaft do you use with your irons?

• Steel
    • Graphite

I don't know if I want to make the move to graphite shafted irons. I'm very strong with my irons and I play with steel shafts right now and love them. Is the only advantage of going with a graphite shaft more distance? If so, then I am going to stay away from them. Let me know what you guys play with.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I play with steel in everything except my Driver. But I am going to change to graphite in woods and hybrids. I think steel is better for irons, they're control/accuracy clubs not distance clubs.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I play graphite in my irons, because I have health issues graphite addresses. For most golfers the small amount of distance (3-5 yards) you gain is not worth the change in feel, accuracy, and additional cost. Graphite and other materials are still constantly evolving and this may not be the case in ten years. IMO the accuracy loss is at least partially explained by the fact that graphite is normally shafted 1/2 inch longer. If length is an issue testing graphite shafted hybrids is probably a good first step.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I don't know if I want to make the move to graphite shafted irons. I'm very strong with my irons and I play with steel shafts right now and love them. Is the only advantage of going with a graphite shaft more distance? If so, then I am going to stay away from them. Let me know what you guys play with.

if you hit your steel shafted irons well why change to graphite....

i believe that graphite is for people with lower swing speeds or for people who are more of a beginner....i dont know if thats true but its what ive heard but ahh yeah if your steel shafts are ok and you love them...why change? if you want to change shafts i suggest you get the project X shafts but they cost like 40 a piece now they use to be 30 at my friends shop

Driver: HS9 F 10° w/ Speeder 553 shaft
Fairway wood: X 3 wood 15°
Irons: 695MB 3-PW
Wedges: Spin milled oil can 56°
Wedges: Vokey oil can 52°Putter: Newport 2 (had 2.5 selling it now pm if u want)Ball: Pro V1 (5,6,7,8)

I play graphite in my irons, because I have health issues graphite addresses. For most golfers the small amount of distance (3-5 yards) you gain is not worth the change in feel, accuracy, and additional cost. Graphite and other materials are still constantly evolving and this may not be the case in ten years. IMO the accuracy loss is at least partially explained by the fact that graphite is normally shafted 1/2 inch longer. If length is an issue testing graphite shafted hybrids is probably a good first step.

Ill ask this question again that got me curios. In all manufactures the graphite Irons come 1/2 inch longer than steel?

Can somebody answer me this properly?

What is in my Ping bag:
Driver: R7 425 9.5*Fujikura Vistapro 70 stff
3Wood: An old 15* Graphite Stiff.
5Wood: R7 ST 18* Mid point RE-AX 70 Stff
7Wood: Tight lies 21* Graphite StffIrons: An old set of EYE2+ 4-PW Steel StiffWedge: vokey SM 54*10 and 60*08Putter: Studio Style Newport 1.5Balls...

Ill ask this question again that got me curios. In all manufactures the graphite Irons come 1/2 inch longer than steel?

Due to the lighter weight of graphite shafts some modifications need to be made in order to make a steel shafted club and a graphite shafted club play to the same swingweight. One alternative is to add weight to the clubhead through hosel weights, the other is to make the graphite shaft longer. Since it is easier and cheaper to make the shaft longer that is why graphite shafted clubs are often longer than steel shafted clubs.

That's the reason for the thread, I didn't know if there was any other reason for going with graphite except for increasing distance. I don't have any problem with distance (hit my 4 iron right at 185 yards).

I've been seriously thinking about picking up a set of old school Ping Eye2's. I hit a set back when I first started playing and I loved them. I know that a lot of guys on here have a lot of success with them so I might go that way. I'm just not really happy with the irons that I am playing now. I don't expect a lot out of them since they were a cheap set but I started out playing my dad's old Wilson blades that he bought back in the 80's and I liked them better than the clubs in my bag now.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

Due to the lighter weight of graphite shafts some modifications need to be made in order to make a steel shafted club and a graphite shafted club play to the same swingweight. One alternative is to add weight to the clubhead through hosel weights, the other is to make the graphite shaft longer. Since it is easier and cheaper to make the shaft longer that is why graphite shafted clubs are often longer than steel shafted clubs.

I got you the thing is my dad have graphite irons right now and he is going to buy a new set of iron with steel shaft. He play standar fit with his graphite irons and he told me he is going to buy standar with steel, so the thing is he is going to get shorter club that what he have, so I tell him to buy the clubs 0.25 inch longer so he new set have the same leght of his currently set he is using.

What is in my Ping bag:
Driver: R7 425 9.5*Fujikura Vistapro 70 stff
3Wood: An old 15* Graphite Stiff.
5Wood: R7 ST 18* Mid point RE-AX 70 Stff
7Wood: Tight lies 21* Graphite StffIrons: An old set of EYE2+ 4-PW Steel StiffWedge: vokey SM 54*10 and 60*08Putter: Studio Style Newport 1.5Balls...

Here's another thread that may help (

Graphite Irons ) Here are my comments on that thread.
Graphite offers great damping properties especially for people suffering from tendonitis and such. A recent study showed that golfers are still playing a shaft too stiff and heavy for them (which could be another topic) Another great thing about graphite is that the quality has become far superior in recent years (hence the higher cost) and allows the manufactures the ability to manipulate weight, balance points, kick points, tip sections, etc far more than with steel. With steel you can control a lot of that with the steps in the shaft however not as easily as with graphite, creating a truer matched set. I don't suffer from tendonitis but I've been curious about graphite shafts in irons so I've built several demo clubs to see how graphite shafts compare to my steel shafts and so far I'm impressed with the distance and control. Like many products there is poor, good and great quality. Graphite will cost more than steel when matched with equal quality.

Common myths associated with graphite irons shafts

• Graphite shafts are for old people - Not True, as mentioned above graphite shafts in irons offer many advantages when compared to steel
  • All graphite iron shafts are cheap quality - Not True, like steel shafts, they are offered in a wide array of quality. This statement came about because golf club manufacturers will use cheaper quality shafts inorder to save cost and profit margins
  • Graphite shafts are not as accurate as irons - Not True, if you were properly fitted this wouldn't be an issue.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Please, I hope no one takes my comments below personally, I am not attacking anyone in particular or their opinions.

Is the only advantage of going with a graphite shaft more distance?

No, other advantages are listed in my other reply. The added distance that most players see if because they are using a graphite shaft that is a lot lighter than the steel shaft they were using. However, graphite iron shafts come in a wide array of weights.

I think steel is better for irons, they're control/accuracy clubs not distance clubs.

This is a common myth, see my notes above and in my other reply.

IMO the accuracy loss is at least partially explained by the fact that graphite is normally shafted 1/2 inch longer.

Yes this is true to a point but a competent clubmaker can adjust for the swing weight when building the clubs. The accuracy loss can also be attributed to using a lighter weight shaft than the golfer is used to. See the comment from Supercow below.

The weight and contol with the steel shafted irons.. Had graphite, they worked - but I like the weight of the steel better.

Steel and graphite shaft weight can vary from 75 grams to 125+ grams, so it's a matter of making sure the weight matches before making a fair comparison.

See my other reply

i believe that graphite is for people with lower swing speeds or for people who are more of a beginner....i dont know if thats true but its what ive heard

Common myth, see my other reply for my comments

if you want to change shafts i suggest you get the project X shafts but they cost like 40 a piece now they use to be 30 at my friends shop

I am a Certified Rifle installer and although I personally use and love the Project X shafts, they are not a good fit for a large population of the golfers out there. Just like the True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 are not a good fit for many, but they are the most popular model of shafts becuase of their original popularity on professional tours. Manufacturers then started to use these shafts for their clubs because it increased sales when people want to use what the pros use. I'm not saying this is some conspiracy just a good marketing strategy.

I replied to this above.

Exactly!

I personally like steel in my irons although to be honest the only graphite I ever had in my irons was with the graphite tip shafts from True Temper. After 4 years of use, I felt that I wasn't getting the kind of feedback I wanted so I switched to TT Dynalite Gold shafts and I love them.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

I went from steel to Graphite and am now back to Steel. I find I am more consistent with steel and the distance loss is not all that great. The hardest thing for me anyway was getting used to the difference in the shaft weights.

That's the reason for the thread, I didn't know if there was any other reason for going with graphite except for increasing distance. I don't have any problem with distance (hit my 4 iron right at 185 yards).

steel is the way to stay reading how I think you hit the ball. graphite is not as consistant as steel. go to the pro shop and get fitted out properly. they can advise model, shaft flex etc etc.

I am just about to order new irons switching from graphite to steel for that reason (and I prefer the feel).
What's in my X cart bag

X460 10° off the tee, usually followed by either Big Bertha 3 wood or BlueMax 7 wood-stiff graphite
Then one of theseDi7 uniflex steel 5-SW and finally the NXT tour straight in the hole using Rossa Daytona

...graphite is not as consistant as steel...

Cheap quality graphite is not.....but cheap steel isn't very consistant either. Here are some common myths associated with graphite irons shafts (As posted above)

• All graphite iron shafts are cheap quality - Not True, like steel shafts, they are offered in a wide array of quality. This statement came about because golf club manufacturers will use cheaper quality shafts inorder to save cost and profit margins
  • Graphite shafts are not as accurate as irons - Not True, if you were properly fitted this wouldn't be an issue.

I just picked up a set of Mizuno MP 60's that came with Aldila NV Graphite Shafts I wasen't looking for Graphite shafts but the price was great $350 with 2 MP R Wedges

I have never played with Graphite shafted Irons before,or with "player irons" before either. So far after 27 holes I haven't felt that big of a difference, or seen any distance increase at all.
They are about an inch longer then my other irons which I am trying to get used to,but I was told I could use standard or +1's.

L4V M Speed
Insight XTD Hybrid 3 Wood
Insight XTD Hybrid 5 Wood
Idea A30S Hybrid 4 and 5 Irons
09 Burner Irons 6-AW CG14 WedgesF7 2 Ball Putter w/ dyssey Jumbo Grip Grom Bag

• 3 weeks later...
gotta go with steel for the irons... If you're looking for reduced weight in steel shafts try something like a TT Tx-90. My dad just ordered a set of X-20s with the TX-90 shafts because he was concerned about control with graphite.
In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

• 4 weeks later...

Just switched from graphite to steel shafts...better control for me

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

Note: This thread is 5579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!