IGNORED

Best balls on a tight budget?

Note: This thread is 3117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I still recommend the precept laddie at Walmart.  Total cost for ball is 90 cents each and it is a well performing ball.  Two dozen cost $19.90 plus tax.

$19.96÷24= 83 cents a ball, ok I'll buy 90 cents with tax... if tax is 8% as it is here in Tompkins County New York

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

$19.96÷24= 83 cents a ball, ok I'll buy 90 cents with tax... if tax is 8% as it is here in Tompkins County New York

Damn, I never thought real a golfer would do the math.  Tax rate here is 8.25.  I like these balls for winter gold, but I'm in the minority.

It's meant to be goofy... yeah we're talking about the tax anyway... he said 90 cents a ball, which with tax is about right, because Precept Laddie X Balls are $19.96 a double dozen at Wal-Mart... for his tax (8.25%) they would come to $21.61... or with my 8% $21.56... which if you divide that by 24 is almost exactly 90 cents a ball, he was right I was wrong, I forgot the figure in the sales tax... FWIW, The Nike Mojo is exactly the same price for 2 dozen, The Pinnacle Gold (which are just cheap Titleists) are $15.47 for 15, but they also have Double Dozens for $25.86... The Maxfli Noodle is like $15 at Wal-Mart, but I've seen them at Dicks 2 for $20, finally the TaylorMade Burner 2.0 is around $30 for Two Dozen at Walmart... You can also get MINT used balls on EBay on the cheap... And remember anywhere there are 2011 Pro V1 or Pro V1x once the 2015 model is officially released will be on Clearance, and the '13 Will go down to $40, but you're looking for cheap balls... Just my $1.98 :)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• 1 month later...

I play a fairly tight, tree lined course a lot.  I lose quite a few balls but seems like every time I look for my ball I find a few extra, lol. I have a huge assortment of all the best balls and rarely buy any, except for when I first started or if I am away from home and lose too many. I donate all the scuffed ones back to our driving range.  Sometimes, playing with a buddy, we will see who finds the most if there are slow players ahead and no-one behind. He's a real Pro V fan (was a scratch player) I told my kids to not buy me any golf balls as gifts and frequently give them bags of balls to use.

If you watch, you can get good balls cheap.

Last season, Nike had their 20xi balls on sale.  I picked up 20 dozen of them.  After the coupon code was applied, they were less than $10 per dozen, IIRC.

For every day, Dick's sells Maxfli Revolution (spin) often for 2 for $20.  I stocked up on them as well.  They hold greens well and don't get chewed up by my Ping S56.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Regards,

Mark

Currently in the bag

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR S 10* --- Fairway: Cobra BioCell 3 and 5 Metal --- Hybrid: Nike VR 3 Hybrid
Irons: Ping i20 (4-5) , S56 (6-PW) --- Wedges: Ping Tour Gorge 52* & 56* SS --- Putter: Nike Method 004 --- Ball: Nike 20 Xi

IMO the Top-Flite Gamer and Gamer Soft are inexpensive 3 piece balls but not cheaply made in any way - they are an absolute steal.   I would compare Gamer to the NXT Tour and the Gamer Soft to the Wilson Duo, with the Gamers having the edge in both comparisons. Right now you can also get the Maxfli U/3 (3 piece urethene cover) on-line from Dicks for $15/dozen.   The Pinnacle Gold is a very playable ball but will not perform like the Gamers or U/3 on approach shots and around the green.  Good luck and remember you do not have to pay high prices for a quality golf ball.

I am a high handicap and lose between 3-12 balls a round.  If wanting to play new balls i suggest the wilson extra disance from wal-mart in the red drawstring bag.  2 dozen for $10.  If used is okay they sell the Hunter boxes of grade A for cheap,  I just picked up a dozen laddies for $6 for cold days.

I've been ho-ing golf balls lately. After a 6-year hiatus from playing, I can't believe all the deals for urethane-cover tour quality balls for $2/ball or less.  I've purchased recently these dozens:

MG Tour C4 (2 doz)

Maxfli U/3

Maxfli U/4

Maxfli U/6

Maxfli U/6 LC

T.M. Rocketballz Urethane (2 doz)

Nike 20XI

Nike 20XI-X

Bridgestone e5

Haven't played a round with any of these yet.  Jury is still out on Cally Chrome Soft.

Looks like the Wilson Duo and  50 Elite are both redisigned for 2015. Interesting thing is I'm seeing last year's white 50 Elite on clearance a couple of places for only $7.99 a dozen, with free shipping. Seen that at both Amazon and King Par.

http://amzn.com/B008BVZX48

• 1 month later...
If you watch, you can get good balls cheap.

Last season, Nike had their 20xi balls on sale.  I picked up 20 dozen of them.  After the coupon code was applied, they were less than $10 per dozen, IIRC.

I've got a dozen 20xi-x/s.  They are cheap for premium balls which got me to give them a try.   To make a long story short, I didn't like them.  I don't have swing speed to compress this ball and lost distance, about 10 yards on drives.   Ball trajectory was on lower side and is ok with my swing.   I don't know what -s stands for but for me, it seem to stand for straight.   The ball did hold its course albeit went shorter.   The ironic thing was, I played 3 rounds with the ball and fared well.  I think it's a pure coincidence.   I am switching back to my other ball and if I don't do better, I will give 20xi another shot ;-) .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Even some of the premium balls have dropped their price points... how the hell wants to pay $50 for a dozen balls, when they're losing a lot of balls, or just don't have the money... I tried the 20XI and I didn't really care for it... Good quality balls for less than $25 a dozen are hard to come by... After 18 seasons, of switching ball brands like underwear... I've settled on the new Bridgestone e6... I had to order mine, because Dick's didn't have it in Orange, but I've liked everything about it so far...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

After 18 seasons, of switching ball brands like underwear... I've settled on the new Bridgestone e6... I had to order mine, because Dick's didn't have it in Orange, but I've liked everything about it so far...

I find it hard to see if ball is scuffed or cut when its color is anything but white.   I think it's worse with orange color ball.   Love E6 and I will play them if I need the extra accuracy on a course I never played before.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I find it hard to see if ball is scuffed or cut when its color is anything but white.   I think it's worse with orange color ball.   Love E6 and I will play them if I need the extra accuracy on a course I never played before.

I play orange because they are easy to find... next year I'll play tie-dye golf balls

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Anybody know any good deals on bridgestone e6 balls? Looking to buy a bunch but would love a nice discount.

Note: This thread is 3117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!