IGNORED

What's The Funniest Shot You've Ever Seen On The Golf Course

play4him
Note: This thread is 5643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The funniest thing I have to have seen was in our league this year. One of my teammates was having issues hooking the ball of the tee. So he thinks he has it dialed in as we take the tee box at the ninth. He hauls off and puts every ounce of his being into the swing, it promptly hooks hard at the woods. The ball goes into the woods and we're ready to write it off, when all of the sudden the balls comes back out of the tree line and into the fairway. Our guess is that it hit a tree and popped back out.

It was hysterical to be there.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happened to me a few weeks ago.

Crooked Creek, teed off the 2nd, over a pond, nice 150ish shot landed me about 20 feet from the green . . . nice shot, I was happy.
A Chocolate Lab who had been swimming in the pond swam to the bank, shook himself off, ran up the hill, grabbed my ball, and ran off.

My buddies were laughing, chasing the dog, the dog thought it was a big game . . . run a bit, stop, watch us, then take off and run some more.

I bet the owner has a big pile of golf balls buried around his house . . .

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

Most of my stories involve massively large and tall oak trees as I live in NE Ohio. Here's a shot that made my entire group laugh ...

Par 4 dogleg left with a huge oak tree guarding the corner. the hole is a tee box area, a large gully requiring about 200 yards of fly to reach the fairway. The combination of the huge oak and my usual draw tee ball means this hole never turns out well for me.

So there I sit AGAIN ... completely blocked from the green by the tree. I've taken 8s from the same spot plenty of time. Tried everything in the book to extracate myself from this position in 5. Never works. Until today.

Decided to hit a half swing 6 iron righ of the green and get up and down from there. Completely flush the shot. As it's heading for the woods on the right, the ball clips a limb of another mighty oak about 20' off the ground which deflects the ball onto the green, up to the hole for a kick in birdie!!!

That kind of good luck finds me on RARE occasion. Plus, the birdie there won me a skin because I was being stroked on the hole by my opponent! Sweet!

Another funny shot came off my wife's 7 wood. She wasn't having a good day and was wearing out her 7-wood enroute to every par 4 and 5 greens. Rather than changing clubs on a 100 yard shot, she swings and CONNECTS with the 7-wood. It flies the green and hits a porta-potty 50 yards behind the green flush on the door.

BANG!!!! Man, that was LOUD!!!

Then, the door slowly creaks open while we laugh our butts off walking up to the green. Thank God nobody was IN the john at the time! Hehehe.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is funny now, but it made me mad when it happened.

One league night I was struggling with a round, not making good contact. On one of the last holes I put my approach shot into the trees to the right of the green. There were thick, low branches blocking a pitch and a bunker guarding against any low punch, so I literally had no shot. I decided that since I was doing poorly I'd might as well try something fantastic, so I took out my 60 degree edge and tried to pop the thing straight up through a hole in the branches. Well, I took a mighty cut at it, which I shouldn't have because the ball was sitting up in some thick rough. My wedge whipped underneath the ball and made sufficient contact to make it spin insanely fast but not go anywhere. The ball jumped up at me just high enough to clear my left shoulder and land directly behind me. I almost hit myself in the face with my own shot!

I shrugged it off and tried it again since it came to rest nestled down a little this time and successfully popped it up through the hole in the trees and it came to rest about 10' from the cup.

My league partner was on an adjacent tee box and started walking over to me. I was aggravated and said, "If you're coming over here to talk about golf, I suggest you stay away." He turned and walked back to the tee...

My web design business

I have 3.. first, playing with friends in VT. One has a real crappy $50 set of clubs. On the second hole he swings an 8 iron and the head breaks off and goes flying 40 yards. He takes out his 9 iron for the next shot, and the head also broke off and went flying. Very funny.

Second, my brother is playing golf for the first time in Doral (the white course). He's a real strong guy and on the first hole he's lying in 4" of rough. He takes out his driver and mows his driver through the rough and hits the ball on to the green. I said "did you just hit your driver out of the rough?". He said "Yes, why is there anything wrong with that"? I was too stunned to laugh.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

Last one, my dad is playing a public course with 3 strangers. On one hole one of the players (a black dude) has marked his ball about 18 inches from the hole. One of the other guys is about 3 feet and asks my dad "When is the ball 'good'?"

My dad says... "If the ball is less than the length of your [private part] from the hole then you can pick it up".

Then the black guy then interjects and says "oh, okay" and picks up his marker... it was hilarious.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

Seeing a guy with driver at the tee (right handed) mishit the ball about 60 degrees left & low. The ball hit the plastic garbage bin for that tee area (about 10 metres away) and then the ball disappeared into the bin through the hole it made in it. The first time I've seen a ball a ball lost from the tee in that way.

My dad used to be a decent, avid golfer (shot in the low 80s, high 70s) back in the day. I had the privledge of going out with him for the first time in 6-7 years. Mind you, he is now 65 and hadn't even swung a club in those past years. This being my first year (more like 3 months) of golf I was very happy to get on a course with him. We played at Sheridan (unsure of actual name), which has a 72/120 rating I believe.

Well, my dad is now officially relegated to status of weekend hacker . I think he shot a 105 for the day. Whatever it was he beat me by one stroke .

Anyways, this one hole we were playing I nailed a tee shot which left me with a right to left lie in some tall grass while he was on the other side of a small creek, also in some tall grass (opposite sides of the fairway). To the left of him is the fairway with trees straight away and to the right. If he hits a great shot dead straight and high he should land on the green. Up and to the extreme right is some sort of building surrounded by a chain link fence. The fence is definitely not in play. While I am practicing my strokes he takes his shot. I look up as I hear the contact and hear a noise. I am looking towards the green when I see a white object skip across the fairway and take a nosedive right into the creek. His shot hit the building and went right through the fence and into the creek. I don't think it could have been filmed any better.

The high note was that I got the ball back from the creek.

Seeing a guy with driver at the tee (right handed) mishit the ball about 60 degrees left & low. The ball hit the plastic garbage bin for that tee area (about 10 metres away) and then the ball disappeared into the bin through the hole it made in it. The first time I've seen a ball a ball lost from the tee in that way.

Also seeing my girlfriend recently put it on the green in one, on a par 3. Nothing funny about that you might say? Unfortunately, she'd hit it 45 degrees right & landed it perfectly on the green of a neighboring par 4!!!

Oh man. This happened recently, in July of this year. I was at the Hominy Hill Golf Course in Colts Neck, NJ. I had been playing golf for about 2 months or so, and I think at this point (hole no.14 I believe) I was on pace for something like a 160+. It was something like the tenth ever time I had played golf, so I was obviously very frustrated.

I banana sliced the shit out of my tee shot about 210 yards and fell somewhere in the trees. It's the shortest par 4 on the course, so I could see that the pin was only about 160 yards from me...however, there were trees everywhere. My friends told me to just punch it back into the fairway and hurry up, but I thought to myself "F that....My rounds long gone. I'm goin' for it." When they see me lining up towards the pin, they keep yelling at me that I'm an idiot. I tell them to shut up and to let me shoot, so they do. I put all my focus into the shot, got in the zone, and probably got the best contact on the ball I had gotten all day. The ball fired off the club face and hit a big Oak tree 60 feet in front of me. It fired back at me at something like 80 mph and I ducked to avoid it from killing me. The ball then hit the cart path and proceeded to bounce up and down 150 feet before stopping. The entire shot from start to finish took about 15 seconds. My friends almost passed out they were laughing so hard. Golf's a humbling game....

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was playing with my two buddies and we were on a 135 par 3 that goes over a little pond to the green. Well above the green is a little hill and above the hill is the clubhouse and parking lot. My friend bombs his shot 180+ yards over the hill and onto the parking lot barely missing some cars.
"Dude what did you hit?"
"Just a 9 iron..."
"Man that's a 6 iron you idiot!!"

Bag - Warbird
Ball - Big Bertha Blue
Driver - Sumo 5900
Irons - Slingshot Oss
Putter - Rossa

Also seeing my girlfriend recently put it on the green in one, on a par 3. Nothing funny about that you might say? Unfortunately, she'd hit it 45 degrees right & landed it perfectly on the green of a neighboring par 4!!!

"Nice shot honey!" should have been the only remark made at the time ...

I was playing with my two buddies and we were on a 135 par 3 that goes over a little pond to the green. Well above the green is a little hill and above the hill is the clubhouse and parking lot. My friend bombs his shot 180+ yards over the hill and onto the parking lot barely missing some cars.

I want to laugh my ass off at this, but

I've done this too! Just wasn't paying attention when I chose my club and *whack-o* way too long ...
In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

8) I've done this too!

Can't you feel the difference between the 6 and the 9 when you address the ball? Maybe you should follow up on this experience over on the "How much do you drink on the course" thread...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

"Laid the sod over that one" is a pretty common expression for hitting it fat around here.

Well, I did play with a drunk dude who hit it so fat the 8 inch divot did flop over and cover the ball, which remained defiantly still.

Second was me: funny and fun.
Shanked a 7 iron tee shot on a par 3.
Shanked a SW which hit a tree and the ball traveled the remaining 20 yards and dropped in the hole.
How in the hell do you make a birdie without hitting one shot?

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

This was pretty hilarious. During a match the kid I was playing bombed (I mean BOMBED) a drive down the middle of a pretty short par 4. It was right down the middle. Perfecto. We get down there and there's NO ball to be found. I felt bad for him because the "best drive he ever hit" cost him the hole.

IF THIS ISN'T THE FUNNIEST SHOT I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS :

I hit into a bunker on the side of an EXTREMELY downhill slanted green that's about 75 feet long. Anyways, i'm in this bunker, southwest of the green and i take my 52º wedge and i BLAST the ball, completely missing the sand and pure the ball WAY past the hole and over the green until BANG! my ball hits the top of one of the golf carts of the group ahead of me.

I see the ball hit the top of the golf cart and oh my goodness, it's bounced off onto the top tier of MY green and what's it doing?! It's rolling down towards the hole! rolling, rolling, rolling and to two inches! It was the most spectacular shot that i wish was filmed because it will never happen again.

Can't you feel the difference between the 6 and the 9 when you address the ball? Maybe you should follow up on this experience over on the "How much do you drink on the course" thread...

Notice, I didn't say I did that THIS year ... hell, now I could look at the lie of the club and know it's wrong ... the set up would be too short, the weight of the club would be wrong ... I did this a long time ago ...

In my Bag:

5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

IF THIS ISN'T THE FUNNIEST SHOT I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS :

If you made the putt, that's a hell of a sandy!

In my Bag:

Note: This thread is 5643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!