IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

No post credits scene, but BAD ROBOT! did not play in the beginning, it played in the post credits.

Not only is it nothing like the prequels, it goes out of its way to be more like episodes 4-6.

I agree.

I rate it a solid 8/10.

I called the scene on the bridge well before it happened.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This little girl got the outfit right. For those whose wives and daughters are hesitant to see the movie, this:

CWr2GTyU8AAkwPs.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just watched it this morning. Great story line. Finally they got people who can act. 

Prequels had actors/actresses who were terrible but seemed to have been picked purely for their looks. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

7 hours ago, Yukari said:

Just watched it this morning. Great story line. Finally they got people who can act. 

Prequels had actors/actresses who were terrible but seemed to have been picked purely for their looks. 

Imho, I think the actors were weighed down by the terrible writing of the prequels. No actor could bring life to the stilted, heavy laden dialogue. Not even one with 10 times the talent of the best actors of our generation.

Edit: Whoops, thought this was the spoiler thread. Putting the quotes under spoilers.

There were more funny bits in this movie than all the prequels:

Spoiler

"That's not how the force works!"

"Escape first. Hug later!'

"Keep calm, keep calm." "I am calm!" "I'm talking to myself!"

"Annnnnd I'll drop my weapon."

"Who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?" "Because with the mask I can't tell."

"He was a smuggler." "He was a rebel general?" Chewie shakes his head and says "I don't know" in Wookie.

Steve

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Imho, I think the actors were weighed down by the terrible writing of the prequels. No actor could bring life to the stilted, heavy laden dialogue.

+1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:
Spoiler

That scene was fantastic, with the guy just dropping it without missing a beat as he walks out. I know that was a cameo for some actor, but for the life of me I can't remember who (maybe it was James Bond's Daniel Craig?).

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Imho, I think the actors were weighed down by the terrible writing of the prequels. No actor could bring life to the stilted, heavy laden dialogue. Not even one with 10 times the talent of the best actors of our generation.

There were more funny bits in this movie than all the prequels:

Spoiler

"That's not how the force works!"

"Escape first. Hug later!'

"Keep calm, keep calm." "I am calm!" "I'm talking to myself!"

"Who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?" "Because with the mask I can't tell."

"He was a smuggler." "He was a rebel general?" Chewie shakes his head and says "I don't know" in Wookie.

That may be true, but I've seen them in other movies and they were no better.  I think they just did not pick good actors for prequels.  I am, of course, referring to the two main characters in the prequels.

Don

Since I have a plethora of free time while on break, and since I happen to have Solidworks installed on my computer, I decided to make this for fun after watching the movie:

Final Lightsaber 1.png

Final Lightsaber 2.png

33 minutes ago, Yukari said:

That may be true, but I've seen them in other movies and they were no better.  I think they just did not pick good actors for prequels.  I am, of course, referring to the two main characters in the prequels.

I'd say Portman and McGregor are fine. I wouldn't change Samuel L Jackson. The emperor was fine before he actually became the emperor. Liam Neeson was good. It's really just Jake Lloyd (and even then, he was 10) and Hayden Christianson that are iffy actors, IMO. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

That scene was fantastic, with the guy just dropping it without missing a beat as he walks out. I know that was a cameo for some actor, but for the life of me I can't remember who (maybe it was James Bond's Daniel Craig?).

It was hm. Stormtrooper number was JB007 in the script or something like that. It was tough to identify him in the movie because he was affecting some kind of accent.

35 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I always found Portman's acting a little wooden - she was pretty good in V for Vendetta and she won an Oscar for Black Swan, but Ewan MacGregor is definitely a good actor - liked him in Beginners and Ghostwriter, he was great in Trainspotting. The actor who portrayed rat tail Anakin I've never seen him in other movies, so don't know.

Steve

18 minutes ago, jamo said:

I'd say Portman and McGregor are fine. I wouldn't change Samuel L Jackson. The emperor was fine before he actually became the emperor. Liam Neeson was good. It's really just Jake Lloyd (and even then, he was 10) and Hayden Christianson that are iffy actors, IMO. 

yea, I didn't like Jake Lloyd much in the first movie. Christianson in the 2nd movie was not that good. I like him more in the 3rd movie. 

I thought most of all the other actors were pretty good in the first three movies. I thought McGregor did a good job. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Final Lightsaber 2.png

I never understood light saber design: not a single one of them ever looks comfortable to hold. How do you hold that one you drew? How do you prevent yourself from hitting the "on/off" button while engaged in a fight?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

I never understood light saber design: not a single one of them ever looks comfortable to hold. How do you hold that one you drew? How do you prevent yourself from hitting the "on/off" button while engaged in a fight?

I would never hand one over discharge end towards receiver, like Rey did to Luke. Never know if it could just go off. Would be so pointing it towards the ground, like a gun.

And they always seem to turn off when knocked out of users' hands.

I'm sure I can go to the wiki and fan sites to look this stuff up, but that's a corner I'm not willing to turn.

Steve

Oh good grief!  If you are nick-picking about the light saber design in a movie, you got a far better things to think about.  It's a just a movie for crying out light.  Enjoy the show.  Don't think about the design of a gadget.  If you are serious about the "flaws", the entire premise of the movie is flawed.  Geez!

Some people worry about totally irrelevant stuff.

Don

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Yukari said:

Oh good grief!  If you are nick-picking about the light saber design in a movie, you got a far better things to think about.  It's a just a movie for crying out light.  Enjoy the show.  Don't think about the design of a gadget.  If you are serious about the "flaws", the entire premise of the movie is flawed.  Geez!

Some people worry about totally irrelevant stuff.

You've now worried about me worrying about it about as much as I've worried about it.

Thoughts take an instant. Thinking about something like that doesn't preclude me from enjoying the show.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

I would never hand one over discharge end towards receiver, like Rey did to Luke. Never know if it could just go off. Would be so pointing it towards the ground, like a gun.

And they always seem to turn off when knocked out of users' hands.

I'm sure I can go to the wiki and fan sites to look this stuff up, but that's a corner I'm not willing to turn.

When they're made available to the public, there better be thorough background checks and good training classes for those who want a concealed light saber permit :P

P.S.  Finally going to see the movie in 74 minutes!!!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

You've now worried about me worrying about it about as much as I've worried about it.

Thoughts take an instant. Thinking about something like that doesn't preclude me from enjoying the show.

Haha. Touché 

Don

Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!