IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

14 minutes!!!!!

I FIND YOUR LACK OF PATIENCE DISTURBING :-P

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I never understood light saber design: not a single one of them ever looks comfortable to hold. How do you hold that one you drew? How do you prevent yourself from hitting the "on/off" button while engaged in a fight?

The gold piece that wraps around is actually positioned such that it protrudes further than the on/off button, but the main point of lightsabers in the movies is to look pretty more than anything (not much screentime in the movies is actually devoted to lightsaber fights, and they would honestly be totally impractical compared to laser guns). :-D

You would grab around the narrower portion with the v between your thumb and forefinger below the power button, with the other hand gripping the textured nubs below. It's hard to see from the angle provided, but the gold portion that wraps around is rounded and angled in such a way that it smoothly meets back up with the smaller radiused portion in the center.

15 hours ago, saevel25 said:

yea, I didn't like Jake Lloyd much in the first movie. Christianson in the 2nd movie was not that good. I like him more in the 3rd movie. 

I thought most of all the other actors were pretty good in the first three movies. I thought McGregor did a good job. 

I'll give Christianson credit though: he was excellent in the lightsaber duels. Maybe his one redeeming value. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Reboot the prequels? I thought about that - maybe - let's get the next two movies out of the way first. There are multiple prequel options. You could redo the prequels, or do the thirty something year period between 6 and 7.

The obvious next step for the Star Wars franchise: reboot the prequels

Without spoiling the movie, the plot of The Force Awakens suggests the studio might be inclined to play it safe. To preserve the spirit of the original trilogy while giving fans what they want to see.

In that case, there's a clear map for what the franchise should do next: Reboot the threeStar Wars prequels.

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/24/10660766/star-wars-franchise-reboot-the-prequels

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The look of unbridled joy as soldiers watch TFA

8LLmlhg.jpg

This is one smart kid.

Steve

Snoke, pre CGI

CXQxVLAUwAE1QJk.jpg

Steve

For all the talk of the movie, I love how it casted a slew of actors who looked more like today's demographic. I hope this will be one of the legacies of this movie that continues elsewhere.

he gender breakdown changed by Christmas weekend, with males making up 62 percent of the audience and females, 38 percent.

The audience is also becoming more diverse, according to PostTrak. Initially, 63 percent of ticket buyers were Caucasian, followed by Hispanics (12 percent) and African-Americans (10 percent). Over Christmas weekend, those numbers changed to 57 percent, 15 percent and 11 percent, respectively.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-box-office-people-851169

Steve

George Lucas on Charlie Rose

Steve

16 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

George Lucas on Charlie Rose

Good life advice there. Don't become a stalker after a break up :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Totally ignored Rogue One and to tell the truth, was not really interested. Looking through the credits now, seeing it's directed by Monsters and Godzilla director - loved those two movies (both birdies). Also, Mads Mikkelsen, Ben Mendelsohn and Forest Whitaker are in the cast.

ABJR4Tj.png

Steve

On 12/31/2015 at 7:40 AM, saevel25 said:

Good life advice there. Don't become a stalker after a break up :-D

This was a great move by both Disney and Lucas to just get Lucas away from it all.  He's death to good movie making.  George Lucas doesn't make films, he makes toy commercials.  Bad commercials.  Realize that and anyone can understand what happened.

"You don't like Lucas? What, you got a problem with fluffy Muppets and lousy video composition and gimmicks, whiney lead characters, and low level over-acting?"

Lucas can write a story any time he likes and I'll support. But, PLEASE, for the love of all that is good and true, keep that guy away from a camera!

IV was good - but DESPITE Lucas, not because
V was the best one - no surprise (Lucas wasn't involved)

VI, I, II, III sucked donkey balls (2 for 6 is NOT a good track record) This time DESPITE what's a very good story line.  (Lucas back in the seat again)

VII - very pleasantly surprised - pretty much any content that sucked in this one was items that appear to be pay homage to Lucas' directing (fortunately very little)

IMHO

Bill - 

9 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

This was a great move by both Disney and Lucas to just get Lucas away from it all.  He's death to good movie making.  George Lucas doesn't make films, he makes toy commercials.  Bad commercials.  Realize that and anyone can understand what happened.

He created those movies because it was his story. Thought the first three movies were not directed particularly well, they are very good stories. 

Just look at other stuff he wrote as well. He wrote or helped write some very good movies that he never directed. 

I would classify Lucas as more of an artist over a director. He always seemed to have that artist mentality. That vision that he would adhere to and not bend. He redid a few scene's digitally for the release of the digital copies of Episodes IV thru VI. He dared touch and alter the movies that people have declared science fiction masterpieces. Why, because he's more of an artist. I think that sort of mentality didn't mesh well with him directing Episodes I-III. In the end, he wanted control. 

To say he did it to sell toys is idiotic. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

that's a decent reply if you ignore the insult at the end

though I do need to calibrate the intensity of my wryness depending on which forum I'm posting in.  Sandtrap is a more 'refined' site and needs a gentler application usually.

Bill - 

32 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

that's a decent reply if you ignore the insult at the end

end result doesn't not necessarily prove intent of what he wanted to do or why he made the movies the way he did. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

end result doesn't not necessarily prove intent of what he wanted to do or why he made the movies the way he did. 

Fine....  You said - "To say he did it to sell toys is idiotic."  Since I didn't say that and actually said "George Lucas doesn't make films, he makes toy commercials" then I'll take this last comment as a backdoor way of you providing separation between those two comments.  I won't take your comment as an insult or attack.

You are vested in his stories and find them neat - it's good to have that.  Not everyone thinks the same - it's what the world turns on.

Bill - 

Both things are kind of true though.  Lucas deliberately made decisions to sell toys, yet what he accomplished was grand and beautiful.  

—Adam

1 minute ago, imsys0042 said:

Both things are kind of true though.  Lucas deliberately made decisions to sell toys, yet what he accomplished was grand and beautiful.  

It wasn't his fault that Fox didn't foresee the value of a niche market known as toy collectibles. When Lucas negotiated his deal with Fox back in the 1970's he asked for all the merch rights. 

So no matter what he would have made a killing because of how popular Star Wars became. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 2922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!