IGNORED

My Swing (chspeed)

chspeed
Note: This thread is 954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 15 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 15.5

My typical ball flight is: Changing

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Poor contact

Hi all,

Have been lurking around the site for a few years (and posting here and there). I'm a big fan of the Five Keys, and have been trying to incorporate them into my swing. I've only gotten as far as #1 and am now trying #2.  I generally shoot in low-mid 90s, with some 80s round every season. My swing is very inconsistent (isn't everyone's?) - pushes, pull hooks, draws, push slice. Here are a few things I'm trying to work on right now.

On these videos, I was trying #2 (getting hips forward), but I felt like my arms were being left behind, so on these videos I was trying to get my arms down faster. You can see the disastrous flip in the front view - amazing I even made contact. I know I still am pulling the club a bit inside on backswing, I keep trying to work on this.

I do intend to start using evolvr, but thought I'd get these videos up as a start.

Anyway, sorry about the long-winded explanation! Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Videos:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@chspeed ,

I would highly recommend Evolvr.  One thing I noticed is shown below.  You are moving off your set up position on the backswing with your weight going back. Your head moves back and up a bit at A4, then you compensate on the downswing and your head is lower as you approach impact.  Right photo shows A4, top of back swing and left is A6.5, just before impact, A7.

There would be more detail in an Evolvr lesson, but I would suggest working on Key 1 and Key 2 drills on Steady Head and Weight forward at impact.  One way my instructor has me do these drills is slowly, in front of a mirror, go from A1 to A4, pause, then to A5 and pause.  This helps my body remember the motion better.  I have other priority pieces than you would, but it is a good technique to work out the bugs.  I do mirror work a lot (5 days a week for 10 minutes).

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

There would be more detail in an Evolvr lesson, but I would suggest working on Key 1 and Key 2 drills on Steady Head and Weight forward at impact.  One way my instructor has me do these drills is slowly, in front of a mirror, go from A1 to A4, pause, then to A5 and pause.  This helps my body remember the motion better.  I have other priority pieces than you would, but it is a good technique to work out the bugs.  I do mirror work a lot (5 days a week for 10 minutes).

Thanks! I had been doing pretty well on Key 1 (at least I thought so on video), but trying Key 2 has definitely thrown Key 1 off. I do have a mirror, and do quite a bit of work on it as well. I will definitely give evolvr a shot. @iacas @mvmac - is this a good time of year or are guys (and other instructors) on holiday this time of year?

Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Thanks! I had been doing pretty well on Key 1 (at least I thought so on video), but trying Key 2 has definitely thrown Key 1 off. I do have a mirror, and do quite a bit of work on it as well. I will definitely give evolvr a shot. @iacas @mvmac - is this a good time of year or are guys (and other instructors) on holiday this time of year?

Thanks again.

That happens to all of us.  Just remember to give yourself a quick refresher on your Key 1 work before you do the Key 2 drill.

This is a good time of year for Evolvr because we can solely focus on improving our swing if we cannot play due to the winter weather.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 8 months later...

I've been Playing Golf for: 20 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 13.2

My typical ball flight is: Slight pull/draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pull hook/duck hook/push slice (especially with driver)

I've been working with Evolvr for the past few months, currently working on getting the swing shorter (was quite a bit longer than in this video), getting the wrists to set earlier (still haven't been able to do that without completely destroying my swing), and straightening left leg sooner (getting better).

Would love some feedback!

I've been Playing Golf for:​ 20 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 13.2

My typical ball flight is: Slight pull/draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pull hook/duck hook/push slice (especially with driver)

I've been working with Evolvr for the past few months, currently working on getting the swing shorter (was quite a bit longer than in this video), getting the wrists to set earlier (still haven't been able to do that without completely destroying my swing), and straightening left leg sooner (getting better).

Would love some feedback!

The head movement looks a lot better as does the shorter swing.

Scott

My Swing Thread

The head movement looks a lot better as does the shorter swing.

Thanks! And thanks for consolidating the post. I completely forgot that I had posted that last year.

• 2 months later...

I've been continuing to work on my swing this year (with Evolvr). Things are coming along. Some days my playing on the course really suffers because of the changes (e.g. where did THAT shank come from?) but I'm sticking with it and definitely have days of great improvement. Right now, I'm working on better synchronization of body and arms (making the hip slide more gradual), and getting the arms forward at address. I can see in the video I still have work to do on getting the weight forward, and I have a pretty pronounced early extension in the down-the-line video!

Feedback, as always, is greatly appreciated!

4 hours ago, chspeed said:

and getting the arms forward at address

I meant getting the arms closer to the body at address...Thanks.

If you are working with Evolvr you should listen to those guys they will know better than any of us on what to work on. 

If I was to make my observation, I would recommend more shoulder turn. At least 90. I found that it helped with distance and also helped to sync up my swing much more to have more shoulder turn.

Michael

11 hours ago, chspeed said:

Anyone? Anyone?

11 hours ago, mchepp said:

If you are working with Evolvr you should listen to those guys they will know better than any of us on what to work on. 

If I was to make my observation, I would recommend more shoulder turn. At least 90. I found that it helped with distance and also helped to sync up my swing much more to have more shoulder turn.

I agree with Michael. Your Evolvr instructor will give you the best advice. I use my My Swing thread just to post updates or to post things that I am not working on with my Evolvr instructor like sand shots or pitches, etc. In the past, I have used Evolvr for those swings too.

Scott

My Swing Thread

On 12/6/2014, 5:02:59, golfrocks said:

hey man Great swing….  it looks like your casting a bit on the downswing maybe try hinging your wrist a little more on the backswing. hope that helps!

Thanks! Yes, I definitely am, and setting the wrists earlier is something that's on my list to work on. This is going to be a change that takes a long time to trust on the course, but one I want to take on this winter. Thanks again!

On 11/13/2015, 7:50:42, mchepp said:

Yes, the shoulder turn could definitely be better. When I try to turn it more, my head and body tend to start moving around more and "disconnecting". It then gets harder for me to get the sequence right and put everything back in place on the downswing. Perhaps this will get easier when I get more comfortable with the swing. Thanks!

On 11/14/2015, 7:29:10, boogielicious said:

I agree with Michael. Your Evolvr instructor will give you the best advice. I use my My Swing thread just to post updates or to post things that I am not working on with my Evolvr instructor like sand shots or pitches, etc. In the past, I have used Evolvr for those swings too.

I definitely do. Still, it's nice to get feedback. Thanks!

Edited by chspeed
Quoted someone twice

• 5 months later...

Spring is finally here in the Northeast. Had my first Evolvr lesson of the season, and Brian instructed me to work on swing path and club face angle. Here's some shots from a practice session. I'm working on letting the arms release from the body on the downswing, and cupping my wrist a bit at impact. Feedback welcome!

• 4 months later...
Note: This thread is 954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!