IGNORED

RFKFREAK's Journal About Golf Past, Present, and Future

RFKFREAK

I'm sure he is big and ugly enough to answer a simple question without the need for you to defend him sheesh. Mailman

Which horse?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm sure he is big and ugly enough to answer a simple question without the need for you to defend him sheesh.

Mailman

You know, for all the waiting you are doing to hear directly from Erik about this, you could have already read what he has to say about it in the other thread that was linked. Just saying.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

The "horse's mouth" has spoken, at great length, in the thread I posted.

Umm...okey dokey. I wasn't trying to "defend" anyone, I was trying to help you by pointing to the information you're looking for. But if you would like @iacas to personally re-deliver that same information (for the umpteenth time) just for you because you don't want to read "used" information (or whatever your issue with it is), then suit yourself.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

For heavens sakes lads. It was an honest question that really didnt deserve a pile on.

Christian, sorry for derailing your thread. Dont worry about answering my original question.

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

For heavens sakes lads. It was an honest question that really didnt deserve a pile on.

Christian, sorry for derailing your thread. Dont worry about answering my original question.

Regards

Mailman

Oh, that horse. :-)

Sorry he called you a horse (formerly boss), Christian. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by mailman

I'm sure he is big and ugly enough to answer a simple question without the need for you to defend him sheesh.

Mailman

Which horse?

That's great Ernest but I'd prefer to hear it direct from the horses mouth, for want of a better term :)

Regards

Mailman

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Donde esta RFKFREAK?   He's supposed to upkeep his own thread instead letting it be hijacked by a mailman .... :-P

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

You should see him when he has the saddle on ;)

Regards

Mailman

I'd rather not, thank you. . . :-D

Cheers, though. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
Seems counter intuitive so I'm very interested in your view on this (so I can take your advice and incorporate it into my game:)

I'm confused as to what you wanted to hear directly from me. Or even IF you meant me or if you meant @RFKFREAK .

In case you meant me…

I wrote it in the book.

I wrote it in this thread.

I wrote it in ten or twenty other threads now.

Laying up to a full wedge is stupid most of the time. Re-read "The Rule" in Lowest Score Wins .

Now, back to the topic if possible.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

im with you know that you have qualified your earlier statement with the "most of the time". Thanks. I shall now go back and reread "The Rule" :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

Right...I've just got through (finally) all 33 pages "Is distance really all the important" thread! So thanks for the link Ernest or I would never have know that thread existed!!! Iacas, right I can see why your patience is so short on this topic :) I also re-read LSW on the train up and back from Edinburgh on Tuesday and Thursday too (as I had 6 hours to kill). It was actually a good refresher to go through the above thread and to also go through your excellent book again. I shall never post a silly "but wouldn't it be better to lay up to wedge distance" question again!!! :) Regards Mailman
  • Upvote 1

Mailman

Donde esta RFKFREAK?   He's supposed to upkeep his own thread instead letting it be hijacked by a mailman .... :-P

OMG, I go away for a few days and thus thread blows up, haha. To answer @mailman 's question, at the present time I am at a birthday shindig so I'm not looking at my round but I would presume I went for instead of laying up because laying up sucks, haha. If you want, I'll look more into it when I get a chance and give a more detailed response.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 1 month later...

So, for most of the month of July I didn't get to play much golf or workout as I had been traveling back and forth between NYC and Albany.  The last round before my layoff was on Thursday, July 2nd and my feelings about my golf game changed during the around.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/435987

I was fine with the way the round started out and I played the front 9 at 13 over for a 49.  My goal on front 9's is generally to score 50 or below and at a course I had never played before, I was happy with the 49.

Then out of nowhere I started severely hooking my shots, most notably, my driver.  My average driver distance on the front 9 was 228 yards and on the back 9, where I put up a 26 over Par 62, my average driver distance ended up at 159, and that included the only good drive I had on the back 9 which went 273 yards.

I thought maybe taking a few days off would get me back to "normal" and played a some holes three days later on the following Sunday and found myself still hooking my driver.

After my layoff, I hit the range a few times, sent a couple of videos to Evolvr, and also put up a swing on my swing thread and was advised to weaken my grip some by my instructor and Iacas suggested I do swings on the range where trying to push the ball to the right with the feel being that I was doing it with the path.

I've played 8 rounds since then and whereas for the most part my severe hook is now gone (although it does creep up every now and then), I've found that my drives are for the most part either a low draw or high ball that starts to the right or blocks to the right but I never know and whereas I haven't inspected it yet, I would be I'm losing a lot more balls off the tee than I normally do.  Overall, the 8 rounds previous to the round of July 2nd, I was averaging 3.5 penalty strokes a round.  In the 8 rounds since, I'm averaging 6 penalty strokes per round; 48 as opposed to 28.

I played 54 holes on my birthday this past Wednesday and the new grip still doesn't feel natural but it is getting better.  So, at this time, I'm staying away from pretty much anything relating to my swing until my grip feels natural and then, I hope that once it does, I'll go back to working on my swing and hopefully find the semi-consistent ball flight I had with my driver before the round of July 2nd.

I'm also hoping next week to find the motivation to get back into the gym as this situation has pretty much left my with very little desire to workout as it was mainly was tied to improving my golf game which I can't do until I get my swing figured out.

Christian

@RFKFREAK "Don't stop believing - Hold on to the Feeling" But I know that "WTF I am doing" feeling after a less than stellar round. Get back in the gym! And keep chipping away at it with lessons.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Hang in there, man. I know golf is no fun when the tee shots are erratic. I've been there. Usually it's a matter of getting back to the absolute basics, and shortening up the backswing a tad to stay controlled. I'm amazed how a 75% swing (feel) can make solid, straight contact more often and not lose too much distance. Hunker down and review all your old lessons- there's likely things in there that you've forgotten. Stay with it, relax, and try not to beat yourself up. Good luck!!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

@RFKFREAK "Don't stop believing - Hold on to the Feeling" But I know that "WTF I am doing" feeling after a less than stellar round. Get back in the gym! And keep chipping away at it with lessons.

Yeah, I know, it's just tough seeing as the sole reason for going to the gym was to help my golf game. No amount of gym time is going to help me while I'm working through this. Yeah, I'm totally using my instructor at Evolvr to help me fix this issue. [quote name="RandallT" url="/t/78581/rfkfreaks-journal-about-golf-past-present-and-future/100_100#post_1184820"]Hang in there, man. I know golf is no fun when the tee shots are erratic. I've been there. Usually it's a matter of getting back to the absolute basics, and shortening up the backswing a tad to stay controlled. I'm amazed how a 75% swing (feel) can make solid, straight contact more often and not lose too much distance. Hunker down and review all your old lessons- there's likely things in there that you've forgotten. Stay with it, relax, and try not to beat yourself up. Good luck!![/quote] Yeah, I hit into my net today after work with my driver and really took some slow, controlled swings, focusing on getting my weight forward, hips forward while keeping my head back. I couldn't tell the ball flight or how far I hit it but it felt like good contact. My plan tomorrow is to get a bucket and focus on those thing plus my grip before my round. I'm hoping this is just something that I have to work through.

Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by isukgolf

@RFKFREAK "Don't stop believing - Hold on to the Feeling"

But I know that "WTF I am doing" feeling after a less than stellar round. Get back in the gym! And keep chipping away at it with lessons.

Yeah, I know, it's just tough seeing as the sole reason for going to the gym was to help my golf game. No amount of gym time is going to help me while I'm working through this.

I do golf specific workout at gym but those workouts are good for keeping weight down, and getting in good shape regardless of what I do it for.   Even if I didn't know those workouts help my golf, I'd done some of them anyway to get in shape.  Good to see you updating your thread.

Pura Vida.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I do golf specific workout at gym but those workouts are good for keeping weight down, and getting in good shape regardless of what I do it for.   Even if I didn't know those workouts help my golf, I'd done some of them anyway to get in shape.  Good to see you updating your thread.    Pura Vida.

Yeah, I'm fortunate in that I've only put on 5 pounds since I stopped working out and that's mostly due to not being very disciplined lately in what I eat. I'll try and motivate to get back to the gym on Monday Que tuanis!

Christian