IGNORED

RFKFREAK's Journal About Golf Past, Present, and Future

RFKFREAK

[quote name="rkim291968" url="/t/78581/rfkfreaks-journal-about-golf-past-present-and-future/100_100#post_1184840"]I do golf specific workout at gym but those workouts are good for keeping weight down, and getting in good shape regardless of what I do it for.   Even if I didn't know those workouts help my golf, I'd done some of them anyway to get in shape.  Good to see you updating your thread.    Pura Vida.

Yeah, I'm fortunate in that I've only put on 5 pounds since I stopped working out and that's mostly due to not being very disciplined lately in what I eat. I'll try and motivate to get back to the gym on Monday Que tuanis![/quote] Having just visited NYC, I can see where the temptation of eating comes from. The food in the Northeast is very rich, good and plentiful. I'm glad you're not too far off track on the weight loss, and you have way more self control than I did. My doctor told me to lose 20 pounds after my trip to NYC. Keep up the spirits, and keep on playing and practicing. You're doing great considering you just started playing. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This game is ridiculous.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/529858

96 on a Par 73.

4/14 FIR (29%)

3/18 GIR (17%)

1 Birdie

3 Pars

7 Bogeys

5 Double Bogeys

2 More than Double Bogey.

I went to the range beforehand and found I was pushing my shots to the right.  So, I aimed my driver left and, for the most part, the shots went right and, at times, onto the fairway.  The only club I was drawing was my 3W which I have apparently learned how to hit.

Since I had less margin for error with my irons and wedges, I only hit three GIR's and they were all on Par 5's.  On two of those GIR's, I had a chip shot to get on with my third shot and on my third, I hit a pitch shot.

So, I've kind of got used to my new grip and I'm not hooking the ball anymore but now I'm pushing it right, which I guess is better, but I miss hitting it straight and drawing the ball with a club that is not my 3W.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Well done mate! If that doesn't help you with your motivation I don't know what will??? :) Just a word on your fitness motivation...mate...just get your arse in to the gym! It's an ugly spiral, you play bad and you don't feel like hitting the gym. You don't hit the gym and you feel sh1t! The only fix to getting out of your mind funk is to just get up and go smash a gym session so you can get that post work out hi! I guarantee you that once you are on that hi EVERYTHING will feel better :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

This game is ridiculous.

96 on a Par 73.

4/14 FIR (29%)

3/18 GIR (17%)

1 Birdie

3 Pars

7 Bogeys

5 Double Bogeys

I went to the range beforehand and found I was pushing my shots to the right.  So, I aimed my driver left and, for the most part, the shots went right and, at times, onto the fairway.  The only club I was drawing was my 3W which I have apparently learned how to hit.

Since I had less margin for error with my irons and wedges, I only hit three GIR's and they were all on Par 5's.  On two of those GIR's, I had a chip shot to get on with my third shot and on my third, I hit a pitch shot.

So, I've kind of got used to my new grip and I'm not hooking the ball anymore but now I'm pushing it right, which I guess is better, but I miss hitting it straight and drawing the ball with a club that is not my 3W.

Trending better. Great to see!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Well done mate! If that doesn't help you with your motivation I don't know what will??? :)

Just a word on your fitness motivation...mate...just get your arse in to the gym! It's an ugly spiral, you play bad and you don't feel like hitting the gym. You don't hit the gym and you feel sh1t!

The only fix to getting out of your mind funk is to just get up and go smash a gym session so you can get that post work out hi! I guarantee you that once you are on that hi EVERYTHING will feel better :)

Regards

Mailman

Yeah, I just gotta do it.  Well, tomorrow is Monday and the start of a new week so let's see how it goes, haha.

Trending better. Great to see!

Thanks!

Christian

This game is ridiculous.

96 on a Par 73.

4/14 FIR (29%)

3/18 GIR (17%)

1 Birdie

3 Pars

7 Bogeys

5 Double Bogeys

I was just thinking about my round and I think it was definitely the opposite of playing better than your scorecard indicates.  I think I played worse than my scorecard indicates and that I got lucky a few times.

Hole #6: When I was hitting a bucket before my round I had thought about what my strategy would be on this hole.  The fairway narrows around 220 yards from the tee box and I thought the prudent play would be to hit my 5W which, when I hit it solidly, goes about 210-220 yards.  While I was on the range I noticed that I was hitting it poorly.  As I approached #6, I debated changing my plan and hitting driver since I was hitting it straight, albeit, they were push shots.  I also thought about hitting my 4H, which I hit 180-200 but I have been hitting that terribly lately and on the range, it wasn't good.  I decided to stick to my original game plan and hit 5W and hit it poorly and hooked it into the trees on the left.  I then hit a provisional with my driver and that went into the trees on the right, although, it seemed playable.  I was lucky because the first tee shot apparently hit a something and kicked out.  I walked over to the second tee shot and noticed I'd be in jail.  Had I not found the first tee shot, I would have had to use my fourth shot to kick out the second tee shot and would be shooting my fifth shot on my approach shot.  The way I hit my irons yesterday, I easily could have missed the green, and if I had used my sixth shot to get on the green, I likely would have two or three putted and put up an 8 or 9 instead of the 7.

Hole #7:  I can't comfortably use my driver on this dogleg right because I'll probably shoot my tee shot into the woods.  I didn't feel comfortable using my 5W because of what happened on the previous hole and my 4H because I've been hitting it poorly.  So, I used my 3W and was very fortunate that I didn't hit that into the woods because it was drawing and thereby shortened the distance between the tee box and the woods.  Had I hit it a bit better, it would have gone into the woods and I would have gotten a penalty stroke and would have likely added at least a stroke or two to my score.

Hole #13:  I probably shouldn't use 3W here as if it doesn't draw, I can easily overshoot the fairway on this dog left and go into the woods behind the fairway.  That said, for the same reason as hole 7, I used my 3W and got lucky not to lose my ball or have to take an extra stroke getting out of the woods.  Probably could have dropped at least a stroke here.

Hole #14:  This hole is my fault.  It's a dog right and the trees are only 200 yards from the tee box.  However, since I was pushing most of my shots, I aimed the driver straight and figured it'd push onto the fairway and give my more room.  My plan was to try and be to the left of the big tree right where the hole dogs right.  The thing is, following that line, it's only 220.  I thought it was longer.  Either way, for one of the few times, I didn't push my driver and it went straight, clocked off a tree and fell down, allowing my to take my second shot un-penalized.  I think hit my 5I and it went more to the right than I thought it would and I almost lost that ball into the woods/drainage.  So, instead of birdieing the hole, I easily could have added two strokes on it.

So, the way I look at it, I could have shot 4-8 strokes to my round but got, well, lucky.  So, kind of dispiriting but I guess those are the breaks that even out over time.

Christian

@RFKFREAK man take the good when its there ... in the game of golf its a matter of inches sometimes. I shot a 97 that could have easily been a 92 or lower. some great shots that I thought were perfect and ether just caught the lip of the bunker or just caught the run off slope a yard different and I am putting for par/birdie.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

@RFKFREAK man take the good when its there ... in the game of golf its a matter of inches sometimes. I shot a 97 that could have easily been a 92 or lower. some great shots that I thought were perfect and ether just caught the lip of the bunker or just caught the run off slope a yard different and I am putting for par/birdie.

Yeah, like I said, those are the breaks that even out over time.  I'm sure on some of the blowup rounds, I had most of the breaks go the other way so I'll gladly take this score even though I don't think the scorecard accurately reflects how I played.  I was satisfied with my Driver (even though for the most part, I pushed it) and my 3W because I never hit that well, my putting wasn't spectacular but I made two key medium long putts that really helped, which were the Birdie on 14 and the Par on 16.  I feel like after playing 15 as horribly as I did following the tee shot, where realistically I probably could have put up a 5 or, at worst, 6, the 7 was kind of deflating,  I felt that 7 just gave back all the strokes I picked up from the Birdie on 14 and then some.  The way my mind works, if I bogey every hole, I'll shoot around 90, even though I've never shot that before, and therefore, that's my goal.  So, when I birdie a hole, I'm -2 on it and, that 7 on put me at +1 over those two holes, so the Par on 16 made me even over those 3 holes.

I'm planning on playing a course I've never played before on Tuesday so we'll see how it goes.

Christian

Well, I did it. I motivate myself to go to the gym tonight for the first time in two months. It was a push day so worked on my chest primarily. Should be "fun" playing an early morning round tomorrow on a course I've never played before, haha.

Christian

Once again I say this game is ridiculous.

5 penalty strokes, 2.28 putts/hole, 2.71 putts/GIR (5 3-putts, 1 4-putt).

And I put up my 2nd best round of the season and golf life with a 93.

93 on a Par 71.

68.7/118 CR/SR

4/14 FIR (29%)

7/18 GIR (39%)

0 Birdie

4 Pars

7 Bogeys

6 Double Bogeys

1 Triple Bogey.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/535562

Kind of disheartening because I played a dumb tee shot on 15 that went into the water, and if I had a bit more control of my driver, I might have shot in the 80's.  Oh, well, happy, but confused, with the score, haha.

Christian

Really nice job on the 43 with 5 GIR. That's an achievement with which to be proud. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Now, @RFKFREAK is just showing off.

Yeah, forget "Drive for 5" it's more like drive to halve your handicap. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Really nice job on the 43 with 5 GIR. That's an achievement with which to be proud.

Yeah, I knew I had a pretty good back nine in that I didn't have any blow up holes.

Now, @RFKFREAK is just showing off.

Haha, I wish.  I'm amazed by the score considering I had a pretty bad driving day and terrible putting day.  I guess my approach shots really made the difference.

Yeah, forget "Drive for 5" it's more like drive to halve your handicap.

I'm pretty happy about putting up back to back scores in the 90's.  Not playing again until Sunday but I think I should probably submit a video to Evolvr and figure out how to stop pushing my driver.

Christian

I just read this and feel like it's a job and not enjoying the game of golf. Go out and play a match with your buddies have some fun add up the scores play for a five dollar nassau or for beers I will play you I can give you 2 shots a hole whatever have some fun golf is not fun playing medal play all the time

I just read this and feel like it's a job and not enjoying the game of golf. Go out and play a match with your buddies have some fun add up the scores play for a five dollar nassau or for beers I will play you I can give you 2 shots a hole whatever have some fun golf is not fun playing medal play all the time

Cool, @RFKFREAK take this invitation! It's your chance to see a good player in action.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Well, to be perfectly honest, right now I'm not hitting the ball as well as I feel I was earlier this year and it's somewhat frustrating as I work through this.  There's an unpredictability with my driver which can lead to some angst for me.  Whereas my approach shots were pretty good today, this past Saturday, I didn't hit a single green with an approach shot, the three that I hit were all Par 5's with the third shots all being chips or pitches within 75 yards.  I'm learning to score well (for me) without I feel striking the ball well.

So, it's not a job and it was certainly better than being at work today.  At the end of the day, I still enjoy it otherwise I wouldn't play, but ultimately, part of the fun for me is seeing myself improve and I think my full swing game is a mess right now and limiting my ability to improve.  Until I am able to correct this issue, I doubt I'll feel like I'm improving and I don't believe I'll be posting much ITT about how awesome my round was because of my ball striking.

That said, I'm usually up for meeting and playing a round with people from TST (except @Golfingdad because he sucks :p)

Christian