IGNORED

What is the most important aspect of golf that you think can improve your score?

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Plus, I rarely deviate from my stock shots.

You just adjust your club selection per conditions, then?

There are many reasons I may make minor adjustments. If I'm not quite feeling my full swing that day, I'll take an extra or two club and swing easier. Then there's wind, elevation changes, forced carries, etc. Sometimes I have to hit over or under tree branches. Lie conditions will affect my decision, too (caught a flier lie the other day and launched my 8i over the green into the pond. Didn't make that same mistake the second time around). Sometimes I'll hit SW to a 100 yard pin and sometimes I'll hit GW. Actually I've even hit 9i that distance on occasion.

It's really not a lot of deviation from my stock swing. Move the ball forward or backward a hair, choke down a little, or hit 1/2 or 3/4 swings. Remember, my tendency is to overswing, so I really should be hitting what feel like 3/4 swings all day to begin with.

I've gotten better since I stopped trying to take a full swing at everything.

Yes, because at this point in time my clubs pretty much go one distance. I don't have the length to try too many different things, just the basic stock shot. I might do low punch shots, high tree shots and other such things, but usually just one iron goes one distance.

Wedges are the only clubs I try 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 shots, but I tend to do a lot of bump and run these days because it is much more reliable than thinning a LW or something like that. Plus, the greens I play are in the 8 to 9 Stimp range which makes the run part more predictable. I am also doing everything inside 80 yards purely by feel, and I need to learn the proper techniques next time I meet up with Mike.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

People with the stats disagree.

You may be placing too much emphasis on your own experiences.

Plus, you likely gained distance when you straightened out your ball flight. Any spin on a ball is a glancing blow, so a slice is a more glancing blow than a straighter ball and goes farther at the same clubhead speed.

Good to know I am statistically different.

Are your statistics indicating that regardless of ones handicap distance is the most important factor to improvement?

For sure I am placing all emphasis on my experience only as I am not a teaching professional so I only have my own journey to draw on.

I have to remember to avoid making general comments on golf as it is certainly not an area of expertise for me.

I agree that my banana slices were certainly not a good strike at the ball and for sure I gained distance by hitting it with a better swing but how does this correlate to my statistical difference?

In my own experience I was able to drop down from a 30 capper to a 20 capper due to reducing my penalties that I took by hitting it into the deep rough and often losing my ball (stroke and distance penalty).

Based solely on my experience I feel that when I was a 20 or higher handicapper I was swinging a lot harder at the ball than now that I am mid teens handicapper. For me only it seem like the harder I swing the shorter I hit the ball. I can now hit the ball in tempo and in balance farther than when I took a big lash at the ball.

I know the two biggest things that I need to improve are my accuracy/consistency off the tee and my short game. I have gotten really, really, lazy with my short game while working on approach shots, and that includes putting. With those two (or three if you count putting as separate) things sorted out I know I could reach scratch. It's just a matter of shaving off those last 2-3 strokes this coming season, then competing in college golf.

Based solely on my experience I feel that when I was a 20 or higher handicapper I was swinging a lot harder at the ball than now that I am mid teens handicapper. For me only it seem like the harder I swing the shorter I hit the ball. I can now hit the ball in tempo and in balance farther than when I took a bit lash at the ball.

I had the opposite experience with a launch monitor this afternoon. When I swing less fast the ball goes shorter and when I swing faster the ball goes further. Okay, this is not surprising. ;-)

What allows me to swing faster without breaking down my mechanics is me trying to maintain Key 1 (5SK), and attempting to use more Key 2 at the same time. This makes my arms go around my body faster without losing control.

Essentially, I am saying that I can swing harder and softer and still get a reasonably straight shot only the "harder" one goes farther.

This is a kind of golf epiphany I had today.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My son and @hacker101 still haven't really forgiven me for missing that 3 foot birdie putt which subsequently turned into a double.

No but every time I think about it, it puts a smile on my face. Even now I am LOL that was a great day of fun and golf!

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

My son and @hacker101 still haven't really forgiven me for missing that 3 foot birdie putt which subsequently turned into a double.

No but every time I think about it, it puts a smile on my face. Even now I am LOL that was a great day of fun and golf!

Yeah, and it seems like it will be sunny some of this weekend too. Shall we try for Santa Anita or Brookside?

BTW, how are you feeling?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This is intended to be a free for all thread where everyone can share what they think will improve their own games.

It's hard for me to have much certainty with this because last year was bit of failure in terms of momentum. But as far as what I think will improve my game the most, it's simply learning proper mechanics of a full swing .

The distance vs accuracy debate really isn't much of a debate in my mind. As some have pointed out, a technically sound swing will provide both. As far as striving for tour-like distances, that's not in my future. At 54, that ship has sailed. But I still believe that learning better mechanics and as a result increased distance, is still very achievable.

Accuracy will improve when I start repeating the same swing. Distance will max out and whatever that ends up being, it will determine the appropriate tees to be played. If those things happen, I will play at the best of my ability.

Jon

Quote:

This is intended to be a free for all thread where everyone can share what they think will improve their own games.

It's hard for me to have much certainty with this because last year was bit of failure in terms of momentum. But as far as what I think will improve my game the most, it's simply learning proper mechanics of a full swing.

The distance vs accuracy debate really isn't much of a debate in my mind. As some have pointed out, a technically sound swing will provide both. As far as striving for tour-like distances, that's not in my future. At 54, that ship has sailed. But I still believe that learning better mechanics and as a result increased distance, is still very achievable.

Accuracy will improve when I start repeating the same swing. Distance will max out and whatever that ends up being, it will determine the appropriate tees to be played. If those things happen, I will play at the best of my ability.

You won't regret focusing strictly on this for even a few months. I consider this the first step into LSW, and am still working on it.

The game will become more fun for you once you have at least 1 full key on the course, and you will stop worrying about if you are going to make forward movement of the ball.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Hey everyone, so

I don't really know what advantage it is to start off right and end up more right?

Do you have an in to out swing with the face more open? It seems like if you turn the face in a bit you can turn it into a push-draw pretty readily?

Well let me tell ya, for the first four years learning to golf I ingested the golf magazines tips like coolaid. You name it I tried it. Watched a lot of Golf Channel instruction, Loved it.

Nothing helped. Can you believe it?

Fifth year struck gold, ( I know sounds like I'm suckin' up but really) while perusing the Internet "there must be something I'm missing." The Sand Trap website, whats this, you don't aim your clubface at the target? Ball flight laws? Blasphemy pure and simple.

People, men and women, young and old, Intelligent, knowledgeable and willing to share the secrets of the golf swing on the Internet for all to see?

Dude, I've been wrong before, just ask my wife, but I haven't died and I'm still in heaven.  I'm but a lowly student to this game we call golf.

disclaimer all of the above: :offtopic:

I don't know what my swingpath is - that said I can hit this ginormous push draw, It'll drop right where I'm aiming, of course there can't be any trees, shrubs are fine, but no trees on the right side between the fairways, or it's in 'em at maybe 50 yards.

I do know I address the ball with a closed clubface, and although I try to swing toward first base, I know I don't. Rhythm is off, a lot of crap is off, so I aim where I know the ball will start inside the tree line, and end where hopefully I'll be able to find it. All that and tryin' to maintain a steady head. Yea right. Still isn't 10 yards closer to the green better? Thats 1 club length (for me).  lol

Okay so pretty much the whole post was off topic, but I got there, no?

Brian   

Hey everyone, so [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/78598/what-is-the-most-important-aspect-of-golf-that-you-think-can-improve-your-score/54#post_1084592"]   I don't really know what advantage it is to start off right and end up more right? Do you have an in to out swing with the face more open? It seems like if you turn the face in a bit you can turn it into a push-draw pretty readily? [/QUOTE]  Well let me tell ya, for the first four years learning to golf I ingested the golf magazines tips like coolaid. You name it I tried it. Watched a lot of Golf Channel instruction, Loved it. Nothing helped. Can you believe it? Fifth year struck gold, ( I know sounds like I'm suckin' up but really) while perusing the Internet "there must be something I'm missing." The Sand Trap website, whats this, you don't aim your clubface at the target? Ball flight laws? Blasphemy pure and simple. People, men and women, young and old, Intelligent, knowledgeable and willing to share the secrets of the golf swing on the Internet for all to see? Dude, I've been wrong before, just ask my wife, but I haven't died and I'm still in heaven.  I'm but a lowly student to this game we call golf. disclaimer all of the above::offtopic: I don't know what my swingpath is - that said I can hit this ginormous push draw, It'll drop right where I'm aiming, of course there can't be any trees, shrubs are fine, but no trees on the right side between the fairways, or it's in 'em at maybe 50 yards. I do know I address the ball with a closed clubface, and although I try to swing toward first base, I know I don't. Rhythm is off, a lot of crap is off, so I aim where I know the ball will start inside the tree line, and end where hopefully I'll be able to find it. All that and tryin' to maintain a steady head. Yea right. Still isn't 10 yards closer to the green better? Thats 1 club length (for me).  lol Okay so pretty much the whole post was off topic, but I got there, no?

Well, the surest way to know how you swing is to video it and analyze your swing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by bste

Hey everyone, so

Quote:

I don't really know what advantage it is to start off right and end up more right?

Do you have an in to out swing with the face more open? It seems like if you turn the face in a bit you can turn it into a push-draw pretty readily?

Well let me tell ya, for the first four years learning to golf I ingested the golf magazines tips like coolaid. You name it I tried it. Watched a lot of Golf Channel instruction, Loved it.

Nothing helped. Can you believe it?

Fifth year struck gold, ( I know sounds like I'm suckin' up but really) while perusing the Internet "there must be something I'm missing." The Sand Trap website, whats this, you don't aim your clubface at the target? Ball flight laws? Blasphemy pure and simple.

People, men and women, young and old, Intelligent, knowledgeable and willing to share the secrets of the golf swing on the Internet for all to see?

Dude, I've been wrong before, just ask my wife, but I haven't died and I'm still in heaven.  I'm but a lowly student to this game we call golf.

disclaimer all of the above:

I don't know what my swingpath is - that said I can hit this ginormous push draw, It'll drop right where I'm aiming, of course there can't be any trees, shrubs are fine, but no trees on the right side between the fairways, or it's in 'em at maybe 50 yards.

I do know I address the ball with a closed clubface, and although I try to swing toward first base, I know I don't. Rhythm is off, a lot of crap is off, so I aim where I know the ball will start inside the tree line, and end where hopefully I'll be able to find it. All that and tryin' to maintain a steady head. Yea right. Still isn't 10 yards closer to the green better? Thats 1 club length (for me).  lol

Okay so pretty much the whole post was off topic, but I got there, no?

Well, the surest way to know how you swing is to video it and analyze your swing.

its amazing what you pick up watching a frame by frame video of yourself.    Although my driver swing has become much better recently, I found out its creeping up on more vertical.     I need to work on getting it back closer to on plane - funny how you don't notice these things, but video picks it up ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

To go along with improving my putting game, I worked on it last night and I really liked what I did. From a comment by Brandt Snedeker, his grip pressure on a scale of 1 to 10, is a -2. Well, I tried gripping the putter about as lightly as I could and still maintain control and the results were promising. Balls rolls nicely. Seems to go a little straighter, so I may be putting a little spins on the ball at times. I'm going out today to practice some more and hopefully bring it to the course tomorrow. I had 7 or 8 putts under 15 feet last week and made exactly zero. Zilch. Nada. That's a lot of birdies left flying free.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Yeah, and it seems like it will be sunny some of this weekend too. Shall we try for Santa Anita or Brookside?

BTW, how are you feeling?

:offtopic:

We all ready have a tee time for Santa Anita, feeling okay today looking forward to playing tomorrow.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I have not read the entire thread, so this might already have been stated:

IMHO, the #1 key in being good is consistency and not fighting it.  It doesn't matter if you fade/slice or draw/hook, as long as you are consistent and know how to use it (i.e., not fighting it), you can score well in this game.

Typically, mid to high handicappers are notoriously inconsistent, both in ball striking and their ball flight.  In addition, majority of them think they can hit it straight "this time" when they slice/fade 99% of the time.  They should just play their slice/fade instead of thinking they can hit it straight.

For most people, consistent ball striking comes from practice, practice, practice.  That means spending time on the range to groove your swing.  Whether that grooved swing is a fade or draw, one needs to accept it and play it.

My swing is a slight draw.  So I always aim a little right on all my shot.  Even if there is trouble on the right.  I don't try to fight it.  Of course, sometime it back fires and double-crosses me... :pound:

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I think my swing plane is my demon. I practice much more than I play. Unfortunately I get so down on myself when I've worked so hard on the range only to totally collapse on the course. And I don't just hit ball after ball. I warm up with sand wedge then get out my Driver, 7i, PW and SW. I pick a target at the back of the range and create OB left and right. I then "play the hole". I do this most of the session. I usually do quite well. I understand I'm hitting on a consistent level lie and not using rough. But in general I'm striking the ball nicely. I feel I have a good groove. I have mental notes I focus on. Then the next day or so I go play. I push my tee shot but only about 10 yards off the fairway. Rough not deep. I shank my SW on the approach. Chip on and 2 putt for bogey. Boom my next drive about 300 in the middle. PW to a nice big green...just like on the range right? Same grass, level lie....shank it into a creek and make DB. So here I am having hit over 500 balls and not one shank yet I've manged 2 of them in 5 hits (not counting drives or putts). The rest of the round was similar. Problem is every time I'm over the ball I "feel" like everything is right. My great shots feel no different than my violent shanks. Too inside? Yep. Too outside? Yep. I dunno guys...I think I'm gonna have to find a trustworthy pro to stand right there and evaluate me in detail.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

18 holes 4 times per week. Yeah, I'm envious. I'm not able to do that.

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

Originally Posted by JonMA1

Amen brother!

If distance is only slightly more important than accuracy, and if both improve as your swing mechanics improves, then the whole distance vs. accuracy debate seems almost purely academic. It certainly is for me, until I start hitting my driver consistently.

Amen brother! If distance is only slightly more important than accuracy, and if both improve as your swing mechanics improves, then the whole distance vs. accuracy debate seems almost purely academic. It certainly is for me, until I start hitting my driver consistently.

It's not academic. It's about club selection off the tee. Those in the "accuracy camp" are probably not hitting driver as often as they should to maximize scoring potential. Fairways hit is an overrated stat. You should hit driver unless your shot dispersion oval gives you a good chance of hitting into a penalty zone. That's it.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note: This thread is 3277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!