IGNORED

How far should you hit your 8 iron?

Note: This thread is 3396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't really care what you think.

You cared enough to comment. I hit my 8-iron 147. I was tempted to write 147.26 but I don't think most of you here know how much I laugh at the old Johnny Miller quotes on the topic of super-precise yardages.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let's not get into a discussion on how far people can hit their clubs. We are very different from eachother, we got different clubs, different swings, different power, different quality of contact, different balls, different altitudes, different humidity. Some people hit it a mile, some hit it far, some it hit average, some hit it short. I've measured all my distances with range finder, and I assume a lot of you others in here have too.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I would love to know my swing speed any cheap way of doing this?

Go to a golf store that has a decent launch monitor.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'll add to this: longer than your 9 iron but shorter than your 7.

This is what I was gonna say ... Ideally halfway between the two. And if that number is >140 I'd say you're ahead of the (real life, not Internet) curve.

Great I will go to store and post my speeds soon :)

Golfsmith has Foresight which seems pretty accurate.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Hi

I am striking ball better than ever, I use to aim at the 175 net with my 5 iron and hit with ease now I can hit same net with my 8 iron how can this be is it normal?

I think you answered your own question, you're "striking it better than ever". :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Hi hardballs nail on head that's where I strugle I have a 60 degree sm5 and struggle in that area 54 might do it I can punch my 48 in half swing but hard to do

Very hard to gauge distances over that amount of length with a 60* lw. This is why I don't feel a need to smash my irons so far, my 45*pw goes 110, my 50*gw goes 95 & my 56*sw goes 80, my 62*lw goes 60, anything from 60yrds in I chip with either 7i or gw, I personally think you might benefit from slowing your iron swings down a touch, it might give you more control and make your yardage gaps more manageable? I read somewhere that good players only swing at 80% of their full power! And I suspect your using 110%?

Gaz Lee

Back in my younger days, I would use my SW from anywhere up to 185 yards. Now I hit my 8 iron about 135 now usually within makeable putt distance..

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Back in my younger days, I would use my SW from anywhere up to 185 yards. Now I hit my 8 iron about 135 now usually within makeable putt distance..

We must have the same 8 iron!

Gaz Lee

As I improved my ball striking my 7 iron went from 125 yds to 145 yds carry.

But please before someone throws that chart up on the thread that one has to consider the club lofts as well. If they're using tour pros as a standard they're probably using blades and blade lofts. If one goes to club manufacturer web sites and looks at the different sets one will find that the a 7 iron blade might have a 34 degree loft, whereas a cavity back 7 iron has a 30 degree loft which is the loft for a 6 iron in their blade set.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On a good, clean strike I hit my 8i about 155y total. A good, clean strike is by no means a given though. :-X

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiesmith900

Hi hardballs nail on head that's where I strugle I have a 60 degree sm5 and struggle in that area 54 might do it I can punch my 48 in half swing but hard to do

Very hard to gauge distances over that amount of length with a 60* lw.

This is why I don't feel a need to smash my irons so far, my 45*pw goes 110, my 50*gw goes 95 & my 56*sw goes 80, my 62*lw goes 60, anything from 60yrds in I chip with either 7i or gw,

I personally think you might benefit from slowing your iron swings down a touch, it might give you more control and make your yardage gaps more manageable?

I read somewhere that good players only swing at 80% of their full power! And I suspect your using 110%?

Obviously not. ;-)

As I improved my ball striking my 7 iron went from 125 yds to 145 yds carry.

But please before someone throws that chart up on the thread that one has to consider the club lofts as well. If they're using tour pros as a standard they're probably using blades and blade lofts. If one goes to club manufacturer web sites and looks at the different sets one will find that the a 7 iron blade might have a 34 degree loft, whereas a cavity back 7 iron has a 30 degree loft which is the loft for a 6 iron in their blade set.

The lofts are listed in some of the tables. Their lofts are usually 1 club weaker than most people. In my case, they are 1 club stronger. It was serendipitously changed when I had them flattened 2 degrees. Don't know how. :hmm: My MP52 are also the same way as far as lofts are concerned.

In any case, I feel comfortable hitting my irons the distances that they currently go. At some point, I think I will get them bent back to the more standard lofts that are in the tables. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!