IGNORED

My Progress w/Overspeed Training Using SuperSpeedGolf

Note: This thread is 1223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Shindig said:

And, more importantly, if I do get it, does the promo code / click through from TST still benefit this site, or is it just for the sticks themselves? @iacas 

It should apply to anything you order from them, but you don’t need that thing and I recommend just kneeling on a towel or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/17/2019 at 4:07 AM, iacas said:

It should apply to anything you order from them, but you don’t need that thing and I recommend just kneeling on a towel or something.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 6/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, Shindig said:

I am using their radar, not the Mevo (which I don't own ... yet).

One of the things about the Overspeed sticks is you don't need the radar at all.  If you're able to use them consistently, you don't need to write down any numbers.  I find writing the numbers down to be both a way to track that I am doing it and also a way to see improvement, so even if I don't see a gain in distance just yet, I can see a gain in swing speed (which tells me I am improving what I set out to do).  

So no, you don't need their radar.  I don't know enough about the Mevo to say if that'll work, but you can get the sticks on their own and they'd work well without any radar. 

I could disagree more. The radar serves several purposes and offer great feedback 

I “suppose” it’s possible to make some speed gains working in the dark but it is definitely not ideal 

In my opinion if you’re going to invest in the super speed training system you get the radar

On 6/20/2019 at 5:15 PM, hillis11 said:

Well I finally broke down and bought the overspeed sticks. I'm looking forward to see if I can get my speed up 

I hope you purchase the swing speed radar as well and didn’t follow the advice given that you don’t need it

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
Radar01_1200x1200.jpg?v=1553091662

The Sport Sensors Swing Speed Radar is the perfect addition to any SuperSpeed Golf Training Package.  With this simple device, you are not only able to measure your swing speed with a golf club, but also with any...

I think it's just $99 when purchased with sticks, though.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:
Radar01_1200x1200.jpg?v=1553091662

The Sport Sensors Swing Speed Radar is the perfect addition to any SuperSpeed...

I think it's just $99 when purchased with sticks, though.

That’s kind of my point to the guy asking the question 

Its priced very well if you buy the radar alongside the purchase of the super speed sticks. NOT so much if you buy the radar separately after you realize later you actually DO need the radar

I hope he bought them and didn’t take the horrible advice that he “doesn’t need the radar”. 

I cannot comprehend how you’d do the speed training without a measuring tool 

Edited by ToolManSam

It literally doesn’t matter what radar you use.  Just that it is consistent. So you know what a fast swing feels like vs a slow swing.  

I measure using the swing speed on my zepp sensor, which probably reads 10 mph slower than actual.  Doesn’t matter what the number reads.  I just know that I am averaging 7mph more than I was a month ago. 

• Like 2

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

2 hours ago, lastings said:

It literally doesn’t matter what radar you use.  Just that it is consistent. So you know what a fast swing feels like vs a slow swing.  

I measure using the swing speed on my zepp sensor, which probably reads 10 mph slower than actual.  Doesn’t matter what the number reads.  I just know that I am averaging 7mph more than I was a month ago. 

I don’t disagree with that at all. 

I do think you need some sort of gauge to work off tho, like you stated ( a radar that may measure 10mph slower but is consistent)

Someone recommend you don’t need any radar at all which I completely disagree with. I feel bad if the guy asking trusted this information 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ToolManSam said:

Someone recommend you don’t need any radar at all which I completely disagree with. I feel bad if the guy asking trusted this information 

Hang on, serious question.  If someone buys the sticks and does the drills religiously, but never measures anything with the radar (either due to not owning it or otherwise), does that mean the person won't get benefit from the sticks?

The goal is to ultimately increase driver distance, not the speed with which one swings the green stick. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Just because you think you are swinging fast doesn’t mean you are actually swinging fast or making speed gains for that matter. Some of my fastest swings are my most efficient swings with the sticks and conversely, when I swing my hardest, they can be quite a bit slower. Without the radar you would never know the difference. This is when bad habits creep in. Get a radar. 

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Hang on, serious question.  If someone buys the sticks and does the drills religiously, but never measures anything with the radar (either due to not owning it or otherwise), does that mean the person won't get benefit from the sticks?

The goal is to ultimately increase driver distance, not the speed with which one swings the green stick. 

Right, but it’s a good way to measure your progress because the sticks don’t have a face that will rotate, giving a false sense of speed. Think of it like tracking your weights/reps in powerlifting and watching the progress over time. I recommend if you don’t have access to a launch monitor to book a session 1x/month to track your driver clubhead speed and ball speed. In between, track your stick speed and see if there is growth over time in both departments. 

51 minutes ago, ToolManSam said:

I don’t disagree with that at all. 

I do think you need some sort of gauge to work off tho, like you stated ( a radar that may measure 10mph slower but is consistent)

I agree. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

Yes and No. They will most likely get some benefits but nowhere near the results if they use an accurate measuring tool

You gave that guy TERRIBLE advice saying he didn’t need any radar. It’s a fraction the cost had he bought the radar with his sticks as opposed to going out to buy one later

Not an issue tho. He’s a big boy and he makes his own decisions. That and golf ain’t cheap, so.. money gets lost

From my experience swing speed is far from just swinging, swinging, swinging and assuming you’re getting faster. Using the radar gives HUGE feedback to what an efficient swing is. I can literally put EVERYTHING I’ve got into a swing vs loading efficiently and releasing the club and have a real life difference of some 15mph at times

The goal is to increase CHS using the radar which translates to increased distance when you learn to marry the two

ANOTHER great benefit to having the radar is to use it while hitting golf balls. Maybe 115mph produces MUCH better results than 122mph 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Just because you think you are swinging fast doesn’t mean you are actually swinging fast or making speed gains for that matter. Some of my fastest swings are my most efficient swings with the sticks and conversely, when I swing my hardest, they can be quite a bit slower. Without the radar you would never know the difference. This is when bad habits creep in. Get a radar. 

I personally find the radar itself is a better tool than the super speed sticks. 

The feedback is amazing. Like you, I’ve had very fast swing speeds with little effort vs massive effort and little speed. The radar helps develop a feel for what speed actually is, WITH little effort 

• Informative 1

On 7/20/2019 at 9:42 PM, ToolManSam said:

The feedback is amazing. Like you, I’ve had very fast swing speeds with little effort vs massive effort and little speed. The radar helps develop a feel for what speed actually is, WITH little effort 

Be careful that you’re not getting it through excessive face rotation; it’s easy to do that. Further, The whole “no effort” deal is largely misconstrued/explained in my opinion. The golf swing takes effort; really we’re talking about efficiency and technical fluidity v. wasted/excessive movement. But the golf swing does take effort. Effortless power is merely a marketing ploy. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 9:45 AM, ncates00 said:

Be careful that you’re not getting it through excessive face rotation; it’s easy to do that. Further, The whole “no effort” deal is largely misconstrued/explained in my opinion. The golf swing takes effort; really we’re talking about efficiency and technical fluidity v. wasted/excessive movement. But the golf swing does take effort. Effortless power is merely a marketing ploy. 

That seems somewhat misleading though.  Tension can absolutely rob you of range of motion, or make you start your swing before reaching your full backswing end point which will reduce the speed at which you can swing a club.  So it depends on your definition of effortless, is it just twirling the club around you or is it relaxed athletic movement?  If it's the latter, then I would say that effortless swings will be better for you in the long run.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

7 hours ago, amished said:

That seems somewhat misleading though.  Tension can absolutely rob you of range of motion, or make you start your swing before reaching your full backswing end point which will reduce the speed at which you can swing a club.  So it depends on your definition of effortless, is it just twirling the club around you or is it relaxed athletic movement?  If it's the latter, then I would say that effortless swings will be better for you in the long run.

Sorry, but this makes no sense.  Your logic or understanding is way off here.  You're equating tension and effort; they are NOT the same thing.  Something can take effort while not requiring a bonecrushing grip or tension as you like to call it.  Effort doesn't mean someone has to flex their muscles like at bodybuilding show.  Come on man.

Effort doesn't equate to tension.  The golf swing is an athletic motion that requires effort.  It is not "relaxed."  Maybe if you want to not have any club head speed or ball speed, sure.  The pro's make it look effortless because of their superior technique, fluidity/economy of movement, and general athletic ability.  It's just like watching an NFL wide receiver make a leaping TD grab or a basketball player dunk a ball; it takes effort.  Do they do those things while tensed up?  Maybe some do, but most look very supple and athletic, just like an elite golfer.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Sorry, but this makes no sense.  Your logic or understanding is way off here.  You're equating tension and effort; they are NOT the same thing.  Something can take effort while not requiring a bonecrushing grip or tension as you like to call it.  Effort doesn't mean someone has to flex their muscles like at bodybuilding show.  Come on man.

Effort doesn't equate to tension.  The golf swing is an athletic motion that requires effort.  It is not "relaxed."  Maybe if you want to not have any club head speed or ball speed, sure.  The pro's make it look effortless because of their superior technique, fluidity/economy of movement, and general athletic ability.  It's just like watching an NFL wide receiver make a leaping TD grab or a basketball player dunk a ball; it takes effort.  Do they do those things while tensed up?  Maybe some do, but most look very supple and athletic, just like an elite golfer.

I didn't mean to equate anything.  What I was trying to say is that for many golfers (myself included), the idea that you need to put in a lot of effort to hit the ball creates tension because so many other activities that require strength do better with a tension.  So that subconscious thought leaks into many swings and is something people do think about to avoid.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, amished said:

I didn't mean to equate anything.  What I was trying to say is that for many golfers (myself included), the idea that you need to put in a lot of effort to hit the ball creates tension because so many other activities that require strength do better with a tension.  So that subconscious thought leaks into many swings and is something people do think about to avoid.

Here's what you're not getting, seemingly: you must put in a lot of effort to play golf well. If you don't put in much effort, if you make an "effortless" swing… you'll hit the ball about fourteen yards.

It's not the fault of the words that when golfers think "swing fast" they add tension. Use a different word: "effortless" doesn't mean what you're using it to mean. You simply mean "tension-free" or "low tension" (because the golf swing has plenty of tension to it - it's how we hold on to the grip, etc. What we mean is an acceptable or "right" amount of tension).

So, don't just continue to mis-use words: use better words that better communicate what you're trying to say.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

About an hour ago was my first time trying the "swing from the knees" in protocol two.  I... either didn't do it right or something.  And my attempts at normal swings afterward went poorly.  Maybe I need to finish the protocol and then sit down for ten minutes before going back to hitting balls in the future. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 1223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!