IGNORED

My Progress w/Overspeed Training Using SuperSpeedGolf

Note: This thread is 1217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Shindig said:

About an hour ago was my first time trying the "swing from the knees" in protocol two.  I... either didn't do it right or something.  And my attempts at normal swings afterward went poorly.  Maybe I need to finish the protocol and then sit down for ten minutes before going back to hitting balls in the future. 

FWIW it’s not about making the best golf swings. It’s about having the most speed. Training for that, noticing when and how using different muscles produces speed. That sort of thing.

When I do use it during practice I take a big break in between or putt instead or something.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, iacas said:

FWIW it’s not about making the best golf swings. It’s about having the most speed. Training for that, noticing when and how using different muscles produces speed. That sort of thing.

When I do use it during practice I take a big break in between or putt instead or something.

Thanks.  I'm going to keep this in mind and will definitely use this as a break stop.  

So when I'm on my knees, it seems that I'm seeing which upper body parts of me produce the speed?

Should I be measuring the speed when I'm doing this drill?  I normally only track the speed for right-handed swing, normal stance with the sticks. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5 hours ago, Shindig said:

Thanks.  I'm going to keep this in mind and will definitely use this as a break stop.  

So when I'm on my knees, it seems that I'm seeing which upper body parts of me produce the speed?

Should I be measuring the speed when I'm doing this drill?  I normally only track the speed for right-handed swing, normal stance with the sticks. 

IMO you want to measure the swing speeds of all swings so you’re gaining feedback 

• Administrator

Kinda? You're just training different muscle groups to help contribute to the speed you're able to generate. That's about it. I try not to over-think it.

I don't. I measure speed like twice: once at the beginning (normal swings), and once at the end (normal swings).

1 minute ago, ToolManSam said:

IMO you want to measure the swing speeds of all swings so you’re gaining feedback 

I think that's unnecessary and just complicates things. You don't see them measuring all the swings in the protocol videos.

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Kinda? You're just training different muscle groups to help contribute to the speed you're able to generate. That's about it. I try not to over-think it.

Thanks.  I'm going to revisit my mindset that I use for swing lessons -- the stupid monkey part.  I've gotten good at that for real swinging but somehow was missing it here.

Thank you!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 7/28/2019 at 5:52 AM, iacas said:

BTW, I was able to do this tonight;  I did the swings from the knees and broke to putt for about ten minutes.  I then went back, was able to do the step-swing, the fast green-stick swings, and then hit driver twice (100 and 99 mph chs, respectively -- darn good for me).  Both driver shots were really good, too. 

I was able to "stupid monkey" the swinging part but on the drive home tonight my body starting giving me hints about what that part of the protocol might be giving me. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Anecdotal:  yesterday was my first round averaging over 210 with driver... I averaged 221.  Maybe it's summer, maybe any number of things, and one round is not a large enough sample size (14 drives).  But ... since I used to average under 200.  And even in rounds where I'd hit a dozen fairways and not have any really unplayable or lost drives, I'd still be well under my handicap benchmark for strokes gained driver.  Now with more distance, even with fewer fairways (and with one that I had to pitch out) I had a better strokes gained destination.  I hope this keeps up!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I know I'm late to the overspeed training party. Looks like this thread has been going since 2014. I got a used set of swing speed "clubs" from a thrift shop. I don't think the original owner used them very much. Still packed in the box and the grips felt new. Anyhow, I got the "standard" green/blue/red set. My current average driver swing speed is 102. My average total drive distance is 254. 

Last week I did level 1 training three times. So far I've done it once this week. I'll report back in every so often and comment on my progress. (as others on this thread have done.)

BTW - Am I the only one who sweats like Ozzy Osbourne playing Jenga when doing these???

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

43 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

BTW - Am I the only one who sweats like Ozzy Osbourne playing Jenga when doing these???

I sweat doing these outside in January when it was 30F out! It is a workout when done right.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I always wondered if this was worth doing for me. I have limited time to work on my golf game as it is and my swing can be such a disaster at times I feel like I should prioritize fixing that over adding speed. Still, I know a guy with two thumbs that wants to swing the club faster 😉

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, billchao said:

I always wondered if this was worth doing for me. I have limited time to work on my golf game as it is and my swing can be such a disaster at times I feel like I should prioritize fixing that over adding speed. Still, I know a guy with two thumbs that wants to swing the club faster 😉

It is.

13 minutes ago, billchao said:

I’ve actually found that using these to work on speed eliminates some wasted motion and actually makes your swing more consistent.  2-for-1 deal.  

• Like 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

10 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

No.  I sweat quite a bit, even when I do them after sundown.  As someone else said, they're a workout done right.

2 hours ago, lastings said:

I’ve actually found that using these to work on speed eliminates some wasted motion and actually makes your swing more consistent.  2-for-1 deal.  

Hmm... I haven't used them as much the past month and my swing has fallen a bit (partly due to focusing on inside 100 yards).  Note to self, get back to these!

-- Michael | My swing! 

This is something that's on my list to get in the near future. I'm curious - what type of speed gains have you all seen from this? Are you looking at a 5 mph gain or more?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On my watch list too:

Expenditures Costs
Golf fitting Done
Clubs Done
2019 Golf $1,500.00
Super Speed Golf $300.00
Edel Putter $450.00
Aimpoint - again/speed $200.00
Skytrak - maybe $1,600.00

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

This is something that's on my list to get in the near future. I'm curious - what type of speed gains have you all seen from this? Are you looking at a 5 mph gain or more?

My driving distance has gone up about ten yards this summer now that I'm using them regularly.  I used to have a driver swing speed a little bit over 90 mph and have recorded regularly in the high 90s and even recorded a few triple digit.  

For someone who used to think of 200 yard drives as a pleasant surprise, this is great.  Even rounds where I hit a drive short and into the trees, my average comes out over 200.  I even had one round earlier this year averaging 221 -- I used to go months without a single 221+ yard drive. 

Your yardage and/or mileage may vary. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

40 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

On my watch list too:

Expenditures Costs
Golf fitting Done
Clubs Done
2019 Golf $1,500.00
Super Speed Golf $300.00
Edel Putter $450.00

I got my super speed golf at a thrift shop for $15.00. I've seen used sets lots of places for $150. They dont "wear out", so used is probably fine. 2nd Swing Golf has them new for $199, and ocassionally used for even less. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, DeadMan said:

5-10 is pretty common. I've had juniors add 20-22.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

On my watch list too:

Expenditures Costs
Golf fitting Done
Clubs Done
2019 Golf $1,500.00
Super Speed Golf $300.00
Edel Putter $450.00

You coming down to Erie for that Edel bit? 🙂

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I got my super speed golf at a thrift shop for $15.00. I've seen used sets lots of places for $150. They dont "wear out", so used is probably fine. 2nd Swing Golf has them new for $199, and ocassionally used for even less. 

If you're gonna pay to get new ones (which I do recommend - if someone nicked or slightly cracked a shaft on a used one it could be a bad thing), click the link at the bottom of the site, if you would, please. I get like $5 and you pay nothing else, and then you buy from them so they have a record of your warranty, etc.

Note: This thread is 1217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!