IGNORED

My Progress w/Overspeed Training Using SuperSpeedGolf

Note: This thread is 1195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Curious if anyone else feels completely awkward doing the off hand swings.

I’ve been doing superspeed for about 10 weeks now and I still feel like a clumsy idiot swinging lefty.

Yep, I'm really not all that coordinated right handed. So, left handed I feel like a blind orangutan performing brain surgery with a pipe wrench. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I’ve had surgery on my right shoulder, so turning left handed is limited. I just shorten the swing, but it still feels goofy.

4 hours ago, lastings said:

Yes.  Everyone. 

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Yep, I'm really not all that coordinated right handed. So, left handed I feel like a blind orangutan performing brain surgery with a pipe wrench. 

Good to know - I feel like my lefty swing speed might be improving (no SS radar to verify), but technique wise I have not improved at all.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• 2 months later...

Okay, question I feel I should know the answer to.  When doing this when a new practice priority piece is present, do I think about that or not?  When my priority piece was setup-related, I did, but now that my priority piece is backswing related, I didn't.  Right or wrong?

Unrelated to that, other than it's also Speed Sticks: my parents were visiting today and for those asking about how goofy we feel opposite handed, my mom (the parent of mine who plays golf) saw me doing the left-handed "and step" ones from protocol one, I think she was trying to not laugh.  She's heard me talk about these, so she knows what the goal is. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

This is a great thread. After reading through the thread, does it seem like most of the posters who used these eventually quit using them?

Are there any posters who used these for over a year without a break? What are your gains? Have you gained distance on your irons?

Has anyone gone through all of their protocols? What kind of gains have you achieved?

I recently bought these and after a few weeks, I am seeing about 10 mph gain with the sticks. I'm going on Flightscope today to see what it means with my driver and irons.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

4 hours ago, Leek said:

This is a great thread. After reading through the thread, does it seem like most of the posters who used these eventually quit using them?

It's a pattern for me with a lot of things.  I get busy at work and hobbies fall to the wayside.  It's getting worse the past five months, but I've been trying to specifically schedule time for golf related activities.  It's shameful for me to have a home practice room and a backyard large enough to do speed sticks and go a few days, much less a month or two, without any form of practice. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 hours ago, Shindig said:

It's a pattern for me with a lot of things.  I get busy at work and hobbies fall to the wayside.  It's getting worse the past five months, but I've been trying to specifically schedule time for golf related activities.  It's shameful for me to have a home practice room and a backyard large enough to do speed sticks and go a few days, much less a month or two, without any form of practice. 

Don't be so hard on yourself. Reading the thread, you did it for a while, took a break and picked it up again. It looks to me like there have been a number of really enthusiastic posters who at least stopped posting progress and I'm guessing gave it up.

I just wonder why.

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

1 hour ago, Leek said:

Don't be so hard on yourself. Reading the thread, you did it for a while, took a break and picked it up again. It looks to me like there have been a number of really enthusiastic posters who at least stopped posting progress and I'm guessing gave it up.

I just wonder why.

I just don’t do it during the summer.  I feel like it messes up my swing a bit.  Also, after the initial jump in swing speed, the incremental gains get smaller.      It’s not that I gave it up, I just work on other stuff in the summer. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 8/18/2020 at 5:57 PM, lastings said:

I just don’t do it during the summer.  I feel like it messes up my swing a bit.  Also, after the initial jump in swing speed, the incremental gains get smaller.      It’s not that I gave it up, I just work on other stuff in the summer. 

How does it mess up your swing? If you wanted to stay with it, is there some way to manage it so it doesn't?

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg

1 hour ago, Leek said:

How does it mess up your swing? If you wanted to stay with it, is there some way to manage it so it doesn't?

Yeah, there is.  It just makes me want to swing harder and when I swing harder, it triggers me to swing more with my arms and cause a slice.  But, lots of people use it and have no issues during the season. 

it’s really just a personal thing, and I’m long enough right now.  Just focusing more on fairways. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

1 hour ago, lastings said:

Yeah, there is.  It just makes me want to swing harder and when I swing harder, it triggers me to swing more with my arms and cause a slice.  But, lots of people use it and have no issues during the season. 

it’s really just a personal thing, and I’m long enough right now.  Just focusing more on fairways. 

Thanks. I noticed several posters say something similar and it makes sense, sort of like playing in a scramble ruins my swing for a day or two.

I think my curiosity is I get the feeling that a lot of the people who put the Super Speed training down, might have done it due to injury. I wonder how often that happens?

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg

• 3 months later...

I’m new to the site and was referred to this thread from the Superspeedsters thread. I’m wondering how long you’d recommend doing the training for minimum and what you’d expect the gains to be? 

Ive read the full thread and it sounds like training normally lasted 2-3 months and you saw a upto 10 mph club speed gain is that correct?

Has anyone done any complimentary training at the same time, such as top speed golf etc?

• Administrator
19 hours ago, RhysPowell16 said:

I’m new to the site and was referred to this thread from the Superspeedsters thread. I’m wondering how long you’d recommend doing the training for minimum and what you’d expect the gains to be? 

Ive read the full thread and it sounds like training normally lasted 2-3 months and you saw a upto 10 mph club speed gain is that correct?

Has anyone done any complimentary training at the same time, such as top speed golf etc?

Three months, yeah, but really you should continue to train year-round. I think they'll tell you that if you gain, say, 12%, you'll eventually tend to fall back to maybe a 5% gain as your new "baseline," but you'll have lost the 7% if you stop training.

I take the fall off, which is why our "group challenge" starts in January. We can all go hard for at least 3-4 months and at least hit the spring with some faster speeds.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!