IGNORED

My Progress w/Overspeed Training Using SuperSpeedGolf

Note: This thread is 1196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@klinekaIMG_20181212_124709284.thumb.jpg.c305dc648c84eafe4d0619ff34f98b78.jpg,  went to Home Depot just to look around. Bought some washers and machine screw. I have an old driver shaft that happened to have a Tour Edge Adjustable hosel tip. Washers fit over the end and the screw holds everything in place. I can adjust the weights as necessary, even one at a time. No glue, no tape, just screw in place. Now I need to get a postal scale to be more precise. One caveat though, is that I do not have the benefit of different shaft weight (entire weight), but even being able to change the swinging weight at the end should be helpful. 

Thanks for your great idea!

Edited by Hacker James
  • Thumbs Up 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hit new PRs tonight!

132mph on the step through with the Green one, and 129mph step through with the Blue one!

See below for some pics of my set. Some of the paint is coming off, but the washers haven't moved at all. 

Also I remembered I cut the adjustable hosel tips off each shaft  so there was a lot more room for the washers to slide onto the shaft

20181212_170530.jpg

20181212_170610.jpg20181212_173123.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

@klineka, looks like you used quite a few more washers than I did.  I will know better after I get a scale. I also need to down load the protocols.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

7 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

@klineka, looks like you used quite a few more washers than I did.  I will know better after I get a scale. I also need to down load the protocols.

My washers looked more like the ones you had towards the bottom half of your version, your top washers are definitely bigger than mine are. I'll take a pic of the washer box when I get home

14 hours ago, klineka said:

My washers looked more like the ones you had towards the bottom half of your version, your top washers are definitely bigger than mine are. I'll take a pic of the washer box when I get home

FYI the washers I used were 3/8" Flat washers and I bought them in a box of 100 for pretty cheap, right around $5 IIRC

14 hours ago, klineka said:

Now I hope your not having washer size envy with @Hacker James😜

Did either of you use a rubber washer at the base to protect the end of the shaft? I have a couple of shafts with Titleist adapters at the end that I could use. I was thinking of using a small rubber washer first.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Did either of you use a rubber washer at the base to protect the end of the shaft? I have a couple of shafts with Titleist adapters at the end that I could use. I was thinking of using a small rubber washer first.

I did not. I knew I wouldn't be using the shafts anymore for actual golf, so I actually cut the adapters off and then just glued the washers together and then to the shaft, and glued the screw into the bottom at the end. I also glued the washers on the bottom in such a way so that the bottom most washer was pretty much flush with the bottom of the shaft.

I do my actual swings in my driveway, and I have scraped the asphalt a few times with the bottom of the club (as you can see in the pics), mainly just on some warmup swings when I'm not paying attention, but it hasn't affected the washers at all, just roughed up the tape that stuck off the bottom. A better tape job would probably make it look better, but doesnt really bother me.

You'd have to be a bit more careful with how you secured the washers if you wanted to make it so the shaft was still usable in the future and the washers could be removed.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Now I hope your not having washer size envy with @Hacker James😜

ha ha, good idea. Also you could cut down a rubber golf tee, poke a hole through it,  and insert over the tip, base side facing washers, to act as shock absorber.  The screw size for the adapter on mine is M6. Washers are 3/8 and 1/2 respectively (Titleist may be different).

Edited by Hacker James
  • Thumbs Up 1

"James"

Kudos to you all...and I know you guys are trying to save a few bucks, but be really careful!

When my home made one with weight broke, I put a hole in a nearby tree and washers scattered all over the practice area. There was a moment of uneasy silence as I surveyed the people surrounding me for injuries...none, luckily.

So, I ended up buying the SS for only $150 on sale. The nice thing is they go into my bag nicely and I can switch between the three weights as easily as choosing a club.

When you train regularly with their protocols it really makes it easier.

I also have a prototype Drive 400 trainer as well. That’s even better than the SS for gaining speed and retaining it. But that’s another story.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Kudos to you all...and I know you guys are trying to save a few bucks, but be really careful!

When my home made one with weight broke, I put a hole in a nearby tree and washers scattered all over the practice area. There was a moment of uneasy silence as I surveyed the people surrounding me for injuries...none, luckily.

This. When/if they fail, they'll probably fail in spectacular fashion.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, Lihu said:

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

This. When/if they fail, they'll probably fail in spectacular fashion.

Maybe once its warm outside and I leave my net up regularly I'll start doing the swings in front of the net just in case.

When I was building my set I tried to make it as secure as possible, so I glued all of the washers together first so it was one "piece" or unit, then glued that to the shaft. Safety was also why I glued the screw into the bottom of the shaft, the only way that the washers will come off without the screw coming out is if the shaft snapped above the washers.

Might not be a bad idea though to remove the tape every few months and add some additional glue and make sure everything is still secure.

I will still probably end up purchasing the actual set in the future, I just happened to have 3 shafts that I was never going to use so I figured I might as well make my own set for now.

21 minutes ago, klineka said:

I will still probably end up purchasing the actual set in the future

It’s really worth it. They’re really well made.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

18 hours ago, klineka said:

Hit new PRs tonight!

132mph on the step through with the Green one, and 129mph step through with the Blue one!

See below for some pics of my set. Some of the paint is coming off, but the washers haven't moved at all. 

Also I remembered I cut the adjustable hosel tips off each shaft  so there was a lot more room for the washers to slide onto the shaft

20181212_170530.jpg

20181212_170610.jpg20181212_173123.jpg

That looks dangerous haha.  I have the superspeed sticks and that radar.  They're fine.  I just haven't managed to stay consistent with doing the swings.  Hard to make time for it.  Every now and then I'll tack them on at the end of my workout.  The cold doesn't bother me, it's when it gets hot out.  Sweaty hands and grips are no fun at all.

Edited by ncates00

6 hours ago, iacas said:

they'll probably fail in spectacular fashion.

When they do....pics or it didn't happen!   

I liked the "spectacular fashion".....schadenfreude in me  (I had to look that big word up!)

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

"Loctite" (blue)

my circumventions are built to last (with a few exceptions)

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

21 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

"Loctite" (blue)

my circumventions are built to last (with a few exceptions)

Like pretty much for the most part?   :whistle:

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

8 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Like pretty much for the most part?   :whistle:

Uh huh...

"James"

I have been taking lessons from a Long Drive Pro at our club.  He's got me using the Super Speed system.  So far it's only been a couple weeks and I've picked up just a little speed.  I'm 65 and I have lost probably around 30 yards off my drives over the last 5 years.  Right now I'm only swinging my driver 87 mph and hitting it around 225 yards total distance.  I'm hoping to get back to swinging it in the mid 90's.  I ended up building my own speed clubs.  It was actually very easy.

Speedsticks 1.JPG

Speedsticks 2.JPG

Edited by iacas
removed URL showing how to create your own because I don't think that's fair to SuperSpeed

Note: This thread is 1196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!