IGNORED

My Progress w/Overspeed Training Using SuperSpeedGolf

Note: This thread is 1196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone else experienced soreness in their wrists? My left wrist gets a little sore the next day after a session. It goes away, but I don’t want to risk injury. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Has anyone else experienced soreness in their wrists? My left wrist gets a little sore the next day after a session. It goes away, but I don’t want to risk injury. 

Yes, mostly my trail wrist going through "impact". It doesn't hurt the next day, though. The other issue I noticed last week was an oblique strain on my trail side that hurt for a day or two.

I've tried to be careful not to push anything too much with this. Last season, I had to take a break at the start due to golfer's elbow and so I'm hyper sensitive to any issues. If I have to take 3-5 days in between sessions to feel ready, then I'd rather do that then push through to do it every otber day with any issues.

• 4 weeks later...
On January 28, 2019 at 8:27 PM, klineka said:

Tonight was my first time doing the protocol in 10 days due to weather, and was really surprised, hit a new  all time PR with the green club and it was in the last set of stationary swings at the end, not the step through swings. 

I figured for sure it'd take a few sessions to work my way back up but doesnt seem like I lost any speed, which might mean the current speed gains I have made have become my new baseline which is really encouraging to see.

20190128_172048.jpg

I'm seriously considering ordering the super speed system in the next couple days. Aside from generating tremendous club head speed swinging a lighter shaft in thin air have you seen reasonable speed increases while hitting driver? 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, ToolManSam said:

I'm seriously considering ordering the super speed system in the next couple days. Aside from generating tremendous club head speed swinging a lighter shaft in thin air have you seen reasonable speed increases while hitting driver? 

I recommend it. Please use the ad at the bottom of the page and specify “iacas” as the coupon code. I’ll give you a Supporter membership for a few months.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On March 13, 2019 at 3:29 PM, boogielicious said:

I'm no expert and new here

from what I've read is that tour pros have incredible grip strength compared to your avg guy resulting in 60psi at max strength for the tour pro. When swinging they grip at 50% which yields 30psi. Interestingly enough (and only what I've read, NO expert) is that the avg guy maxes out around 30psi grip pressure meaning we are very succeptable to wrist injury if we do not get our grip pressure up. I think?

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I recommend it. Please use the ad at the bottom of the page and specify “iacas” as the coupon code. I’ll give you a Supporter membership for a few months.

Thank you

ill definitely have a look to see if it makes more sense to order here or elsewhere

you didn't really answer my question, lol. Have you seen increase in driver club head / ball speeds? What kind of overall results did you see

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Thank you

I'll look to see if it makes sense to order here or elsewhere

you didn't answer my question tho, lol. What kind of speed increases did you experience with your driver? 

19 minutes ago, ToolManSam said:

tour pros have incredible grip strength

I seriously doubt that.  I'd say any decent amateur powerlifter or better high school football player has far more grip strength than most tour players.

Edited by ncates00

6 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I seriously doubt that.  I'd say any decent amateur powerlifter or better high school football player has far more grip strength than most tour players.

Just something I've read in relation to possible wrist injury when avg golfers start swinging in tour pro speed ranges that I shared with the guy asking about wrist pain when swinging aggressive. I'm not sure comparing a tour player vs a trained amateur power lifter has any relevance to what we're talking about

like I said, just something I've read and NO expert. 

Feel free to add your input to the guy looking for advice tho

12 minutes ago, ToolManSam said:

Just something I've read in relation to possible wrist injury when avg golfers start swinging in tour pro speed ranges that I shared with the guy asking about wrist pain when swinging aggressive. I'm not sure comparing a tour player vs a trained amateur power lifter has any relevance to what we're talking about

like I said, just something I've read and NO expert. 

Feel free to add your input to the guy looking for advice tho

Your logic is off here and you're conflating issues.  First, you talked about "grip strength."  Granted, powerlifting movements are different from the golf swing.  However, you are talking about grip strength.  That is not a golf specific attribute.  You arbitrarily say that tour pros have "incredible grip strength."  I doubt it.  They don't need it.  What they do have, is a tremendous ability to swing a golf club at high speeds with little variability.  Grip strength has very little to do with that.  I'll file that under fiction, not fact.  Additonally, powerlifting has a lot to do with grip strength.  It requires a lot of grip strength to perform those movements.  It does not require nearly as much grip strength in golf to swing a fast swing speed as it does to perform a powerlifting movement. 

Look at the long drive ladies.  They push around 118 clubhead speed.  You think their grip is the deciding factor here?

Wrist pain doesn't necessarily equate to lack of grip strength.  You do realize that golf puts strain on your body right?  I'd say some of these "avg golfers start swinging in tour pro speed ranges" also aren't good at golf.  They hit shots fat, they thin balls, they don't warm up properly, etc.  There are many reasons for wrist pain.  And further, "avg golfers" rarely swing at "tour pro speed ranges," if they did, they'd be a lot better at golf (strike aside).  

Edited by ncates00

12 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Your logic is off here and you're conflating issues.  First, you talked about "grip strength."  Granted, powerlifting movements are different from the golf swing.  However, you are talking about grip strength.  That is not a golf specific attribute.  You arbitrarily say that tour pros have "incredible grip strength."  I doubt it.  They don't need it.  What they do have, is a tremendous ability to swing a golf club at high speeds with little variability.  Grip strength has very little to do with that.  I'll file that under fiction, not fact.  Additonally, powerlifting has a lot to do with grip strength.  It requires a lot of grip strength to perform those movements.  It does not require nearly as much grip strength in golf to swing a fast swing speed as it does to perform a powerlifting movement. 

Look at the long drive ladies.  They push around 118 clubhead speed.  You think their grip is the deciding factor here?

Wrist pain doesn't necessarily equate to lack of grip strength.  You do realize that golf puts strain on your body right?  I'd say some of these "avg golfers start swinging in tour pro speed ranges" also aren't good at golf.  They hit shots fat, they thin balls, they don't warm up properly, etc.  There are many reasons for wrist pain.  And further, "avg golfers" rarely swing at "tour pro speed ranges," if they did, they'd be a lot better at golf (strike aside).  

Lol

Edited by ToolManSam

On 3/13/2019 at 3:29 PM, boogielicious said:

2285p_tpi_andrewloupe_grip.jpg

The hands are you only contact point to the club so it seems obvious that they are a key area...

9 hours ago, ToolManSam said:

What kind of speed increases did you experience with your driver? 

All of the talk about the grip strength and grip pressure is really off-topic for this thread. 

As far as the speed increases, as multiple people have shared throughout this thread so far (including myself) most people seem to gain around 5-10mph on their driver clubhead speed. I went from right around 100mph on average to around 108-112 measured on both Trackman and GCQuad. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

11 hours ago, klineka said:

All of the talk about the grip strength and grip pressure is really off-topic for this thread. 

As far as the speed increases, as multiple people have shared throughout this thread so far (including myself) most people seem to gain around 5-10mph on their driver clubhead speed. I went from right around 100mph on average to around 108-112 measured on both Trackman and GCQuad. 

It’s definitely not off topic

long drivers and speed trainers address potential for wrist injuries when working on gaining clubhead speed 

10 hours ago, ToolManSam said:

It’s definitely not off topic

long drivers and speed trainers address potential for wrist injuries when working on gaining clubhead speed 

What he is stating is the thread topic is about our progress with the Super Speed Golf training itself. Grip strength is an interesting topic but really should have it's own thread similar to the thread below. Feel free to start a thread on that.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

What he is stating is the thread topic is about our progress with the Super Speed Golf training itself. Grip strength is an interesting topic but really should have it's own thread similar to the thread below. Feel free to start a thread on that.

I’m not interested in starting a new thread about grip pressure . I just answered someone’s question within this thread about hurting their wrists during training, lol

On 4/7/2019 at 10:35 PM, ToolManSam said:

I'm no expert and new here

from what I've read is that tour pros have incredible grip strength compared to your avg guy resulting in 60psi at max strength for the tour pro. When swinging they grip at 50% which yields 30psi. Interestingly enough (and only what I've read, NO expert) is that the avg guy maxes out around 30psi grip pressure meaning we are very succeptable to wrist injury if we do not get our grip pressure up. I think?

On 4/7/2019 at 11:36 PM, ToolManSam said:
2285p_tpi_andrewloupe_grip.jpg

The hands are you only contact point to the club so it seems obvious that they are a key area...

2 minutes ago, ToolManSam said:

I’m not interested in starting a new thread about grip pressure.

Both of those two posts you posted have nothing to do with SuperSpeed Golf, the protocols, progress following the protocols, etc.

The original question about wrist soreness was relevant because it was related to something specific that happened when doing the SuperSpeed training.

You going off on a tangent about comparing grip pressure of amateurs to PGA tour players and then posting a separate link to 5 techniques to improve grip strength have absolutely nothing to do with SuperSpeed golf, which is why I said they are off topic. 

8 minutes ago, ToolManSam said:

I just answered someone’s question within this thread about hurting their wrists during training, lol

And no, you didnt answer the question, because the question was asking if anyone has experienced wrist soreness when doing the Superspeed program, and since you haven't done the SuperSpeed program, there's no way you could possibly have provided a relevant on topic answer.

It's not a big deal and it happens sometimes on the forum, but we generally try to keep things on topic as much as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

On 4/9/2019 at 10:54 AM, klineka said:

Both of those two posts you posted have nothing to do with SuperSpeed Golf, the protocols, progress following the protocols, etc.

The original question about wrist soreness was relevant because it was related to something specific that happened when doing the SuperSpeed training.

You going off on a tangent about comparing grip pressure of amateurs to PGA tour players and then posting a separate link to 5 techniques to improve grip strength have absolutely nothing to do with SuperSpeed golf, which is why I said they are off topic. 

And no, you didnt answer the question, because the question was asking if anyone has experienced wrist soreness when doing the Superspeed program, and since you haven't done the SuperSpeed program, there's no way you could possibly have provided a relevant on topic answer.

It's not a big deal and it happens sometimes on the forum, but we generally try to keep things on topic as much as possible.

You guys are an odd bunch, lol

I am aware of speed training wether it’s specifically Super Speed or something “relative” ; long drivers who swing Overspeed Training shafts speak specifically about the serious potential for wrist injury

I am a new member that was only offering a suggestion 

DON’T want it? I’m fine with that

Start rambling on about how my suggestion is off topic and I have no idea what I’m talking about??? That’s just weird AF

I've added 5 mph this year..  I might have mentioned earlier in the thread how last year I went about it wrong and tried swinging out my ass with not much regard to mechanics.  I did it over the winter and didn't hit any balls with a driver for 4 months.  

It backfired...I couldn't find my own fairway or the center of the club face.  Took a good 3/4 of the season to come around.  And I saw no gain.

This past winter I did the training.  Really just the intro and first protocol.  I hit balls and swung faster with the Superspeed clubs but maintained balance and mechanics.  I've only been to the range once but was pleased.  No injuries although I could see the oblique strain happening more than a wrist injury.

Edited by Typhoon92
  • Thumbs Up 2

Note: This thread is 1196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!