IGNORED

My Progress w/Overspeed Training Using SuperSpeedGolf

Note: This thread is 1218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

27 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

I've added 5 mph this year..  I might have mentioned earlier in the thread how last year I went about it wrong and tried swinging out my ass with not much regard to mechanics.  I did it over the winter and didn't hit any balls with a driver for 4 months.  

It backfired...I couldn't find my own fairway or the center of the club face.  Took a good 3/4 of the season to come around.  And I saw no gain.

This past winter I did the training.  Really just the intro and first protocol.  I hit balls and swung faster with the Superspeed clubs but maintained balance and mechanics.  I've only been to the range once but was pleased.  No injuries although I could see the oblique strain happening more than a wrist injury.

That’s awesome 

Now that the weather is nicer I’d continue your speed training on the range coupled with hitting balls. You can add Dr Scholls white powder spray to the club face to see where you’re hitting

JUST a suggestion.. don’t try to hit the center of the face. Just address the ball like normal and let the club get back to the ball naturally. The white powder spray will show you where you’re making contact.

For me I have to align my clubface off center towards the toe about 3/4”. The centrifugal forces extend the club and I find the center this way without compensating 

This works for me and I get a smash factor close to 1.5 on avg

• Thumbs Up 1

So I decided to build these and they turned out great and cost only $70! They are within 1 gram of the SS weights (though I don't know if they are the same swing weight). Pretty excited to see if I can gain some speed.

20190413_142208.thumb.jpg.9161f8be642a7a4bee61f7894495bb59.jpg

• Like 2

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.3ca2cec6408d634a3d6eb81325c1ab7b.png

Here is my first few weeks, these are my maximum speeds recorded with or without the step. Awesome! This is with 3 days a week.

It is still doesn't yet transfer over to hitting a ball. My average with a ball tends to be around 114 right now, but after I go through the training I am able to hit 118 repeatedly and as high as 122 w/ a ball. On a day where I hit driver without first using the sticks I start and stay around the 114 number. Another nice thing is I hit the ball a lot straighter immediately after doing the training.

Edited by jshots
  • Like 1

:whistle:

• 3 weeks later...

It's official, I have ordered them.   Will be at my house on Tuesday.   Super excited.   

Current swing speed is about 100-105, which gets my typical drive in the 255-265 yard range.   If I can get that speed up to the 108-113 range, we could really be talking about some scoring changes.   Also, what is often forgotten is that swing speed doesn't just help off the tee.   It creates better outs out of the rough, and numerous instances where a bit more power is helpful.  

color me excited for that potential. 

• Like 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• 2 weeks later...

Welp.  I love this.  

I got these today.  Went to the range, hit balls, hit a few drivers.  Got a couple pretty good.  

Then, I did the training for the FIRST time.  Went back to my driver and carried three straight balls to where my typical good balls roll too.   I have definitely never put balls to that spot on my range before.  

I assume this was derivative of just getting done with the drill, and I won’t see gains to that level on the course tomorrow.  But if just those one days worth of gains become permanent, it’s beyond worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

check out my swing here

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like there has to be conversation on this somewhere in this thread..  but, I can’t seem to find it. 

Anyways, what do the left handed swings do for you?  I’m 3 sessions in and I don’t really get it.  Also, if I’m in a hurry, like trying to do my session over my lunch break, is it bad to skip the lefty session to save a bit of time? 

check out my swing here

32 minutes ago, lastings said:

Anyways, what do the left handed swings do for you?  I’m 3 sessions in and I don’t really get it.  Also, if I’m in a hurry, like trying to do my session over my lunch break, is it bad to skip the lefty session to save a bit of time? 

I think there's a balance issue involved?  I don't really know.  I enjoy them because it's a different thing.  I have also recently borrowed a left handed sand wedge from a friend and I hit some pitches with it some nights in my home golf room (I don't count this towards the 5 minute rule).  

As for lunch break, I believe doing just the right handed is better than nothing at all.  But how much time do the lefty swings really take you?

I need to get back to regular swings.  I skipped a week in June and was irregular in May and non-existent from about November to May.  Somehow, a few times in June I've had these random 240 yard drives pop up, about once per round.  It's been nice.   Last Friday I recorded (at the range, not on the course) a 101 mile clubhead speed, so I'm guessing these irregularities are the result of doing everything right.  So I need to keep up with the overspeed training and also my evolvr lesson.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

11 hours ago, lastings said:

I feel like there has to be conversation on this somewhere in this thread..  but, I can’t seem to find it. 

Anyways, what do the left handed swings do for you?  I’m 3 sessions in and I don’t really get it.  

It's my understanding that the left handed swings help strengthen the muscles that are used to help decelerate the club. I experienced something similar when I was a baseball pitcher, your body will only allow your arms to speed up as fast as it can slow them down. I think by training the opposite side in golf (or training with weighted balls even after I should have released the pitch) is comparable to adding bigger brakes on a car. Typically faster cars have bigger brakes.

Here is a link that describes it better 

http://www.mytpi.com/articles/fitness/the_big_break_theory

11 hours ago, lastings said:

Also, if I’m in a hurry, like trying to do my session over my lunch break, is it bad to skip the lefty session to save a bit of time? 

I wouldn't ignore the lefty side completely, and I'm no expert in this stuff, but you should still probably see results even if you did the lefty stuff only once a week. I skipped the lefty ones from time to time last winter especially when it was really cold outside and still saw great results.

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I'm looking at getting the speed sticks myself. I do have question. Can you use the mevo instead of the swing speed radar? Because I'm also looking at getting a mevo as well and did not want to spend extra money on the swing speed radar if the mevo will work in its place. 

4 hours ago, hillis11 said:

I'm looking at getting the speed sticks myself. I do have question. Can you use the mevo instead of the swing speed radar? Because I'm also looking at getting a mevo as well and did not want to spend extra money on the swing speed radar if the mevo will work in its place. 

I am using their radar, not the Mevo (which I don't own ... yet).

One of the things about the Overspeed sticks is you don't need the radar at all.  If you're able to use them consistently, you don't need to write down any numbers.  I find writing the numbers down to be both a way to track that I am doing it and also a way to see improvement, so even if I don't see a gain in distance just yet, I can see a gain in swing speed (which tells me I am improving what I set out to do).  

So no, you don't need their radar.  I don't know enough about the Mevo to say if that'll work, but you can get the sticks on their own and they'd work well without any radar. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I said this in the daily practice thread, but it bears repeating.  My driver average today was 206 (when I didn't feel like I hit it well at all), up from under 200 forever.  I think some, possibly all, of this can be attributed to the speed sticks.  Probably some swing improvement too.  Now if only I'd get myself to the gym I'd have more things to credit ;-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 2 weeks later...

How about this for immediate results?!

played 36 yesterday and did this off the tee.   Remember prior to superspeed, I was averaging about 255 off the tee.  

FA9D7BB0-05CC-4E99-AC42-67CF659FE9E3.jpeg

90692AFD-D8A7-4132-AF0A-1AFA3B254126.jpeg

FC6D5321-D436-4249-816A-0A95C92EF9CE.jpeg

7FA9E634-10DE-4BAE-B56B-3FDDAB0A070B.jpeg

EF92B5CB-FDF7-43B5-BAAD-7EBBC136D4A7.jpeg

E855D18C-285F-4D38-9DD6-100C076A5394.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

check out my swing here

Wow, and I thought getting my average over 200 yards for a few rounds was neat.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

On 6/30/2019 at 10:01 AM, lastings said:

How about this for immediate results?!

played 36 yesterday and did this off the tee.   Remember prior to superspeed, I was averaging about 255 off the tee.  

FA9D7BB0-05CC-4E99-AC42-67CF659FE9E3.jpeg

90692AFD-D8A7-4132-AF0A-1AFA3B254126.jpeg

FC6D5321-D436-4249-816A-0A95C92EF9CE.jpeg

7FA9E634-10DE-4BAE-B56B-3FDDAB0A070B.jpeg

EF92B5CB-FDF7-43B5-BAAD-7EBBC136D4A7.jpeg

E855D18C-285F-4D38-9DD6-100C076A5394.jpeg

To Be fair, though.   those weren't the average, they were just the big ones.   And the 321yd drive was downhill with a 10mph wind at my back.   but, still..  It was a bomb.  and well out ahead of anyone in my group.  

check out my swing here

• 2 weeks later...

(Author note:  a little rambling, relevant information in the last two paragraphs)

Last summer, I wrote down on paper the speeds from the activity, but in August or September I sort of stopped doing it (the activity and the writing).  I picked it back up two months ago and am recording items within a spreadsheet.  I have evidently done the exercise 14 times in the past two months -- not the 3x/week I should be doing, but better than nothing.  

I have seen my driving average this summer finally increase over 200 yards.  In fact, my only round in the past month and a half without that average (I've played plenty) was 199 yards ... after a 121 yard pop up on the final tee (the course had 15 driving holes, not including a par-3 that could arguably have been driver). 

My latest round (where I set a personal best score by four), admittedly a hot day in the valley, I had a 210 yard driver distance average and 212 yard "off the tee," which doesn't include par-3s;  I hit a 4-wood on one par-4 (due to shape of hole, driver would put me through the fairway) and driver on the immediate next par-3.  The driver average is pretty neat, especially since I got some ... let's say "shaped" drives (I started my ball aimed, more or less, at where the fairway becomes first cut 230 or so yards out, and had a few finish in the left rough) and GG measures distance from where I started, not total distance the ball traveled. 

I still think my driving distance is a big factor in why my strokes lost driving number is so high -- I've had rounds in the low 80s where my SLD  wasn't past the 15 handicap part.  In fact, I'm losing it despite hitting more fairways than the 10-handicap average, but then again I'm also typically averaging more than 20 yards short of the 10-handicap average driver distance, and I'd sure trade some fairways for that distance (although I suspect I'll still hit a ton of fairways when I get that distance, as my approach/ball striking numbers are very good, and I think that correlates to accurate drives relative to my distance).

Which is why I'm now talking in the Speed Stix thread.

If I do the exercises during a range session, I hit driver before & after the speed stix.  Two driver hits on each, record the higher number.  I also record the higher number (out of three swings) on the normal-hand normal-swing (not the step swing) iterations with each stick, but of course I still do the left-handed and step-swings. 

I see a generally increasing trend, although n=14 with not all of them having a driver speed recorded isn't very useful data.  Still, seeing driver distance (which also could come from my medicine ball drills, or from improved swing from lessons, etc) going up is very encouraging.  I just hope it isn't from the weather. ;-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Personal best in all four sticks today (green, blue, red, returning to green at end).  Best green swing at the end was 119 mph!!!!

Question for people who have advanced past first protocol:  did you get the "stability pro" from their shop?  Was it helpful for the kneeling swings?  Do you recommend it?

And, more importantly, if I do get it, does the promo code / click through from TST still benefit this site, or is it just for the sticks themselves? @iacas 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 1218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!