IGNORED

My Progress w/Overspeed Training Using SuperSpeedGolf

Note: This thread is 1216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm thinking this will be a very productive winter for me.   

I just signed up for Winter league at my local indoor facility.   With that I get 9 holes of "League golf" with unlimited warmup time.   and an hour practice any other day of the week.   
I will be using the Superspeed both in my league warmup and on my practice day.   

Right now, my driver speed sits pretty consistently between 104-107.   Really hoping to add 5 mph this winter.   109-112 would make a pretty big difference.  
(don't get me wrong, getting it out there 270 is nice, but I would find a lot more wedges in my hands and, moreso, have a chance at a lot more par 5 greens in two if I could touch 300 every now and then.)

Additionally, I just ordered a 24 foot putting mat for my basement.  If I can get good use out of that all winter, I really think I can dial in lag put and chipping distances, which could shave a few strokes per round.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

After getting this for Christmas, I started this tonight. Driver swing speed is currently 102-105 mph. I really would like to get to 115, but that's probably unlikely. 110 would be fine.

The training was interesting. I need to take less time between swings, I think. I also need to up the effort a bit more. Lefty swings are interesting. My lefty swing is not good, haha.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

My lefty swing is not good, haha.

You'll be surprised at how quickly you learn to swing that pretty fast.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

No updates here in a while.  How is everyone doing with this?  

i started it back up at Thanksgiving.  I have stuck to the intro protocol until this week.  With the sticks I only picked up 2-3 mph.  I was disappointed.  I noticed though that along with my Superspeed beginning numbers I also put down my actual numbers in our simulator.  I hit in the sim again and my clubhead speed was up 4-5 mph, ball speed was up 5-6 mph which translates to a sizeable distance gain.   Very pleased!

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

i started it back up at Thanksgiving.  I have stuck to the intro protocol until this week.  With the sticks I only picked up 2-3 mph.  I was disappointed.  I noticed though that along with my Superspeed beginning numbers I also put down my actual numbers in our simulator.  I hit in the sim again and my clubhead speed was up 4-5 mph, ball speed was up 5-6 mph which translates to a sizeable distance gain.   Very pleased!

I started again in the first bit of January.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

I have no excuse, but have been slacking.  I'm in a new house, I have something resembling a backyard (it's mostly dirt with a concrete loggia), plus my indoor room is big enough to swing a 6-iron (I haven't tried anything higher).  The problem is, the times that I often can do it are either really early morning or really late evening and my stupid brain wonders if the neighbors will think I'm hitting golf balls at them.  I need to just do it and if they ask I can explain I'm swinging without a ball.  Or I can figure out if my indoor room is large enough to swing them (the sticks, not the neighbors) in.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Don’t swing them inside. You might limit yourself.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

It got cold out and I was tired of doing the routine in the dark.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Don’t swing them inside. You might limit yourself.

Thanks.  I'll avoid that.  I'm going to aim to try outside later today or tomorrow.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

6 hours ago, Shindig said:

Thanks.  I'll avoid that.  I'm going to aim to try outside later today or tomorrow.  

Maybe swing them in the garage if you have one?   I either swing them in the gym or in the garage so the cold doesn’t interfere

3 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Maybe swing them in the garage if you have one?   I either swing them in the gym or in the garage so the cold doesn’t interfere

Warmer in So Cal than in your neck of the woods :-) 

I do have a garage but I swung them outdoors a few minutes ago.  Weather report says it's 59 degrees -- I've played golf, enjoyably, in colder weather, even though I far prefer warmer temperatures.  

I never thought to bring them to the gym.  All I bring to the gym are my phone, keys, headset, and sometimes a towel. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

11 hours ago, Shindig said:

Warmer in So Cal than in your neck of the woods :-) 

I do have a garage but I swung them outdoors a few minutes ago.  Weather report says it's 59 degrees -- I've played golf, enjoyably, in colder weather, even though I far prefer warmer temperatures.  

I never thought to bring them to the gym.  All I bring to the gym are my phone, keys, headset, and sometimes a towel. 

My gym is small, it’s a CrossFit gym. They  are just leaning against the cubbies where we work out so it’s not like anybody would steal them.  It’s just a good place to do it because I’m loose and it’s warm.

• Informative 1

I'm onto my 4th week of this program. I'm really pleased with the progress so far. I'm up to 125-118-110 on the 3 clubs, which is about 10 mph on each club from the first session. This is also really hard to tell for sure given the time of year, but my last 2 rounds after starting this, my driver distance is averaging 290. That's up from 264 normally. Again, the ground is frozen or dry right now, so the ball is rolling pretty far. No idea how much of that increase is the ground or carry, but I can definitely tell my carry distance is increasing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

-- Daniel

Starting week 2. End of week 1, I found that if I keep my feet loose, I can swing a bit harder at it. Before, maybe I was too stiff in the legs.  Anyway, speeds are at 132-125-120 right now.  Up a few from beginning of week 1. Happy with results thus far.

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

On 1/22/2020 at 10:21 PM, DeadMan said:

I'm onto my 4th week of this program. I'm really pleased with the progress so far. I'm up to 125-118-110 on the 3 clubs, which is about 10 mph on each club from the first session. This is also really hard to tell for sure given the time of year, but my last 2 rounds after starting this, my driver distance is averaging 290. That's up from 264 normally. Again, the ground is frozen or dry right now, so the ball is rolling pretty far. No idea how much of that increase is the ground or carry, but I can definitely tell my carry distance is increasing.

I’m curious how the swing speeds with the sticks relate to how fast you can swing driver. Would you say your driver swing is slightly faster than the red stick?

Over the summer, I got up to the second protocol (including six consecutive weeks of 3x/week doing protocol 1).

Due to moving, I neglected Speed Stix practice for a while.  Now I can do them more regularly (it helps having a backyard large enough to swing a club in!)

I'm back, today is the end of my first week back swinging, using protocol 1.  Should I do another 5 consecutive weeks before returning to protocol 2, or do I get back to it sooner?

I'm interested in whatever will help my golf game, not my ego, the most, so if the answer is "keep at protocol 1 for another 5 weeks," I'll do that.  If it's "get back to protocol 2 after another week" (or whatever the right answer is), I'll do that.

Thanks.

-- Michael | My swing! 

6 hours ago, ToolManSam said:

I’m curious how the swing speeds with the sticks relate to how fast you can swing driver. Would you say your driver swing is slightly faster than the red stick?

I haven't measured my driver swing speed since I started. It was ~105 mph when I started. 

-- Daniel

13 hours ago, ToolManSam said:

From the website...I find this to be accurate for me too;

“The SuperSpeed Set
Swinging the lightest club first increases the speed by reducing the load. You should swing this club approx. 19% faster than your driver club speed.
Swinging the medium club second not only increases the speed but as it weighs more than the light club it encourages perminancy of the initial speed gain. You should swing this club approx. 15% faster than your driver club speed.
    Swinging the heavy club third helps to create a perminancy in the speed gain. You should swing this club 12% faster than your driver club speed.“

If you mean just how fast can you swing it all out like the sticks then yeah it’s between red and blue at least for me.  I swing it at the end of a session after the other sticks as fast as I can a few times. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Note: This thread is 1216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!